Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2018, 18:16   #406
Senior - BHPian

re: VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!

Update: ODO @ 93K Kms – Oil change service!

It has been a long time since I have updated the thread; my sincere apologies.

Currently the ODO is reading around 94K Kms. Last year has been quite eventful: Diesel-gate software update – Coolant pump failure (Warranty replacement) –- Tyre replacement (Michelin PS3) – Issue with varying idle engine RPM - ECU Remap restored (earlier Pete’s remap) – Another periodical oil change service @ 93K Kms on the ODO.

Details are as below:

1. The issue with varying idle engine RPM had started since the beginning of 2017. Link: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post4145682. Replacing Drive-belt did not help. Car was in warranty. As there was no solution for this problem from the dealership, I thought of analysing the problem myself. More on this later.
2. As I was suspecting a part failure, I was sure that the issue of software update / remap would come-up sometime or the other. I did not want to take chance and got the diesel-gate software update done during oil change service @ 80K Kms.
3. Immediately after the oil change service, I had to go on an official trip to Belgaum. Drive to Belgaum us event-less. Once I reached Belgaum, I parked my car and went out for a meeting. When I returned after a couple of hours and tried to turn-on the ignition, I saw “coolant water level” error on the MFD. I checked the engine bay and found that the coolant water tank was almost empty. I called up the VW service centre at Belgaum and as per their instructions; I filled water in the coolant tank and drove the car to the service centre which was less than 5 Kms. They checked the car and found that the coolant pump was leaking and replaced the same under warranty. Consumable like coolant was charged. It took the next 2 days for them to get the part, fix it and complete warranty formalities (actually VW has B2B insurance coverage to support extended warranties). I thought it was reasonable time. As I had work in and around Belgaum, I didn’t have many problems.
4. Replaced the tyres @ 87K Kms on the ODO: As my experience with Michelin PS3-ST tyres were excellent, I got the same tyres / size replaced – 225/50R16.
5. Issue with varying idle RPM was bugging me all the while. It wasn't DPF regeneration as Indian MK6 Jetta does not have one! Solved this with the help of information available on-line!! Detailed below separately to avoid confusion.
6. Software update was spoiling the whole fun, literally! Engine was lethargic and noisy. Engine tappet had started making weird noise during cold starts. Power/Torque was reduced and so was drivability. I got my old Pete’s map re-installed and everything is back to normal! What a relief!!!
7. Periodical oil change service was done @ 93K Kms on the ODO. Got the Brake oil and Coolant replaced (I was not sure if the coolant line was properly flushed after replacing the pump at Belgaum). KPR Cars Mysore did a good job as usual.

Engine idle RPM: Did some research on-line and found that it was a common problem; one of the problem being wear-out of carbon bushes, in the Alternator’s regulator. These regulators are available on the net from about $30, and quite easy to replace. I ordered one and the ETA was about 30 days.
Meanwhile, I found that there was a voltage drop of about 0.5V between the Alternator’s output and the Battery positive terminal. This is high and is supposed to be below 0.2V
When I checked the Voltage at the 12V socket in front of the gear lever, the voltage showed around 14V when the engine was running. But at the same time, voltage at the battery terminals was 13.5V
I removed the Battery along with its base, cabling from the Battery positive terminal to the fuse box and then to the Alternator. Thoroughly cleaned all contacts and refitted. After this, the voltage drop was less than 0.3V; since then it has been more than 6 months and the problem has not repeated even once. There was no need to replace the Regulator.

Reference link: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/al...oting-vw-audi/.

It has been more than 50K Kms after the remap and the Car drives like a charm! Bilstein-B6 upgrade has improved grip levels and handling by leaps and bounds. As the struts keep the tyres firmly on ground and in place, tyre wear is uniform which improves tyre mileage. Both these upgrades have given me tremendous joy and satisfaction!

I plan to get the AC compressor oil changed during the next month as this is highly recommended for Jetta after 4 years. Brake pads and disks have still not worn-out! But I plan to replace them never the less, by next month or so. After that, a good paint restoration job is due, as the Jetta is nearing 5 wonderful years!!

Boy, am I satisfied?!!
Chethan B G is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 5th April 2018, 19:52   #407
Distinguished - BHPian

re: VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!

Fantastic update Chethan. It's really nice to read about a VW going strong and reliably over a long term ownership period. The Jetta is a class act and the updates you've made are like extra personal choice toppings. Cars like these deserve discerning and knowledgeable owners like you.
Santoshbhat is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2018, 06:51   #408
Team-BHP Support

Awesome update Chethan. Glad to see you are totally enjoying the Jetta. Jetta is one car that is going to be very very difficult to upgrade from!

Nice debugging there on the engine idle RPM issue. When it comes to these German cars, a little self research and DIY helps a long long way in solving problems. With all these electronics, the service center technicians simply lack the logical reasoning to debug these issues. They just resort to replace things one by one till the problem disappears!

Wishing you many more tens of thousands of miles of smiles
graaja is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th April 2018, 11:32   #409
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
With all these electronics, the service center technicians simply lack the logical reasoning to debug these issues. They just resort to replace things one by one till the problem disappears!
I would say, these guys are more interested in milking customers in the name of replacements (when out of warranty) and lack of willingness to troubleshoot and waste time.

My Jetta had whinning noise on turns which the service center in Pune attributed to strut mount bearings without even their technical head trying to troubleshoot. They changed the mounts at my cost and still the issue did not resolve. When asked I was shocked to learn that the technical person did not even bother to check what the noise was all about. I searched on internet and one fellow had mentioned that changing tranny oil solved this issue for him.

Next day I visited BUB Pune and asked them to change the oil which eventually solved the matter in 2K. For this I had to spend 12K on struct mount bearings and LHS shock.
neoonwheels is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2018, 13:51   #410
Senior - BHPian

DPF: In the Indian version of Jetta MK6, VW uses " Diesel particulate reduction system", instead of a proper DPF. From my understanding, this just does course filtering and therefore does not get clogged as the conventional DPF which is a complicated system. Therefore, DPF-Regeneration in an Indian Jetta does not happen, if the engine is Euro4.

I had purchased a VIN specific Service Manual for my Jetta from Factory Manuals. Below are a few screenshots which confirms that my Jetta does not have a DPF. But the "DPF dabba" can be seen inside the engine bay; this contains only the particulate reduction system.

VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-jetta-engine-number-identification.jpg
VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-jetta-engine-data.jpg
VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-jetta-dpf.jpg
My Jetta's engine number is CLCB(Euro4).

Link for VIN Specific Service Manual: https://www.factory-manuals.com/

Note: 2014 onwards, if the Jetta has come with a Euro5 engine, it can have a DPF. Engine number will also be specified in the Vehicle data sheet.

Last edited by Chethan B G : 6th April 2018 at 14:09.
Chethan B G is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th April 2018, 22:51   #411
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
I searched on internet and one fellow had mentioned that changing tranny oil solved this issue for him.

Next day I visited BUB Pune and asked them to change the oil which eventually solved the matter in 2K.
Hi Neoonwheels, at what mileage did you face this problem? Is your Jetta a MT?

I have heard that it is good to change the MT oil at an interval of 1L Kms (or 4 years), even though VW claims that it is not required in the life-time; initial symptom being sticky gear shift.
Old 8th April 2018, 16:02   #412
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Hi Neoonwheels, at what mileage did you face this problem? Is your Jetta a MT?

I have heard that it is good to change the MT oil at an interval of 1L Kms (or 4 years), even though VW claims that it is not required in the life-time; initial symptom being sticky gear shift.
It was some 45K KM on the clock then. The technical guys said, VW does not recommend tranny oil change for MT but changing it solved my problem. For AT the recommended interval is 60K KM.
neoonwheels is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st May 2018, 20:01   #413
Senior - BHPian

Update: ODO @ 96K Kms

AC Compressor oil was changed. Old oil was darker in color, but viscosity seemed OK to the naked eyes. But I am sure the internal components of the compressor are cleaner now and would be happy after replacing the oil!

During the procedure, AC Solenoid was inspected; Idea was to clean it, but it appeared to be a bit too sticky even after cleaning. As the compressor was anyway removed and since the compressor has been working continuously for close to a lakh Kms, I got the AC Solenoid changed @ Rs.3,500/-

AC line leak check was done and found to be alright. Refrigerant was loaded back. AC duct was cleaned and disinfected.

Overall, air quality feels fresh inside the car. Good to get this done once in 3 years.

Manual transmission oil was changed. Even though this is not required as per VW maintenance schedule, I felt it is good to replace MT oil every one lakh Kms. Again; the old oil was darker in color and a bit thicker too!

GB is a bit smoother now, especially between 4-5-6 gears. This difference is perceivable.

Brake pads are worn-out only by 50%. Brake bite and feel is good too. Therefore, this was not changed.

With the coolant pump replaced recently and with these oil replacements, Jetta is fit and ready as ever, for further mile munching!

Got the 3M paint sealant work done. Some pictures below:

VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-1.jpg

VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-2.jpg

VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-3.jpg

VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-4.jpg

VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-5.jpg

VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-6.jpg

VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-7.jpg

VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-8.jpg

VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-9.jpg

VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-10.jpg
Chethan B G is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 8th May 2018, 11:25   #414
Senior - BHPian

Update: All of a sudden, the battery conked off. Jetta refused to crank and the battery was found to be completely dead!

Battery was replaced (OEM) on 7th Jan 2017 and it was still under warranty. But having known about the OEM battery quality, I didn’t even bother to get a replacement.

Replaced the battery with Exide DIN60 (Left orientation) with 2+2 years warranty. Size is exactly the same as OEM and could easily fit the battery cover in place. On exchange, the battery costed Rs.6,200 all inclusive.

As the charging current is continuously monitored in the Jetta, the engine idle RPM increases if the battery voltage drops or if the charging current increases. Therefore it is recommended to replace the battery with stock rating and not a higher rating. Therefore DIN74 was ruled out.

Also, as I have not modified / upgraded any electrical accessory, higher capacity battery was not required. 😊

Had been to north Karnataka last week covering 1700 kms. Jetta drives like a charm!
Chethan B G is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th July 2018, 00:27   #415
Senior - BHPian

Update: Jetta has found a new home!

I was lucky to find fellow Bhpian Redline6800 interested in the Jetta. I wish Atul many many happy and satisfied years of ownership!

Some pictures below:

VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-11.jpg

VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-22.jpg

VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-3.jpg

VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-5.jpg

VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-6.jpg

VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-77.jpg

VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-8.jpg

I could find a friend through Team-BHP Classified! Delighted to think about so many ways the forum has helped. Truly grateful !!

I have got myself a BMW X1 - MSport in Mineral White with Mocha interiors!! I will upload my ownership review along with purchase experience by the month end.

Until then!!

VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-_dsc6868-1.jpg
VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-_dsc6877-1.jpg
VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-_dsc6912-1.jpg
Chethan B G is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 4th July 2018, 05:40   #416
Team-BHP Support

Re: VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!

That is awesome Chethan! Welcome to the BMW family

The car looks beautiful. The X1 in the M Sport is an awesome car. Looking forward to your ownership report.

Wishing you tens of thousands of miles and smiles.
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2018, 08:50   #417
Senior - BHPian

True upgrade! Congratulations to you! The all black headliner is something very rare these days and looks fantastic with mocha interiors. Wish you at least two lakh kms with this one!!
adi_petrolhead is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2018, 14:55   #418
BHPian

Re: VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!

Hello Chethan, I am about to close a deal for a pre-owned Jetta TDi Comfortline Manual. The car is 2012 manufactured, 47K run with ECU remap done. Can you guide what are specifics to look for before buying. Many Thanks.
Old 23rd July 2018, 17:12   #419
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satshan View Post
Hello Chethan, I am about to close a deal for a pre-owned Jetta TDi Comfortline Manual. The car is 2012 manufactured, 47K run with ECU remap done. Can you guide what are specifics to look for before buying. Many Thanks.
Hi Satshan,

2012 model will be out of warranty. Please check service / insurance history. If the history is traceable and you are happy with the way the car has been maintained, it will boil down to consumables. Check tyre condition, battery condition, suspension condition, alternator belt, coolant pump, AC performance.. etc. Also, a VCDS scan will be good.

All the best! Have a blast!
Chethan B G is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2018, 17:55   #420
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satshan View Post
Check front suspension, water pump for leaks, otherwise its is a tough car!
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks