Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2016, 08:12   #826
BANNED

re: VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
reduced braking distance = good

increased braking distance = bad
good catch! Not all reduction is bad.
Old 25th July 2016, 15:31   #827
Distinguished - BHPian

I figured that you probably meant reduction in braking power, hence longer stopping distance, but I was still puzzled in case you meant something else.

Something seems to happen to words between brain and keyboard!
Old 31st July 2016, 07:35   #828
BANNED

Thanks for that. Helps prevent possible confusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Have you got the new water sensor that is a part of the fuel filter in the new Rapid / Vento / Polo retro fitted on your car? It has a warning light on the cluster that indicates water in fuel. Very useful for Indian conditions given the problems that these cars have with a water and fuel mix. Would need a change of the cluster.
VeyronSuperSprt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2016, 20:22   #829
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeyronSuperSprt View Post
Have you got the new water sensor that is a part of the fuel filter in the new Rapid / Vento / Polo retro fitted on your car? It has a warning light on the cluster that indicates water in fuel. Very useful for Indian conditions given the problems that these cars have with a water and fuel mix. Would need a change of the cluster.
Haven't got any leads on this. Do you have any pics of the warning light or the new sensor in the filter? Besides, I don't find the relevant connection in the cluster's 32 pin pinout:

Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2016, 20:37   #830
BANNED

Quote:
...Do you have any pics of the warning light or the new sensor in the filter? Besides, I don't find the relevant connection in the cluster's 32 pin pinout:
It's new so it may not yet be available on the net. I think they've used one of the Vacant pin slots.

The filter looks the same externally but now costs more as it includes the sensor and that is changed along with the filter every 15,000 kms.

Will try and get a pic of the warning lamp in the cluster. This appears to be a India specific development and they should be putting it on all models globally at a later date.

Am rather surprised that VW have actually done this modification for India.
VeyronSuperSprt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2016, 20:50   #831
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Haven't got any leads on this. Do you have any pics of the warning light or the new sensor in the filter? Besides, I don't find the relevant connection in the cluster's 32 pin pinout:
Gannu your cluster is a petrol one right? If so I doubt it would have the relevant light. That would be for diesels only.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2016, 21:08   #832
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Will try and get a pic of the warning lamp in the cluster. This appears to be a India specific development and they should be putting it on all models globally at a later date.

Am rather surprised that VW have actually done this modification for India.
Surprised to hear that too and am glad they did it. Do post the pic when you get them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay1234 View Post
Gannu your cluster is a petrol one right? If so I doubt it would have the relevant light. That would be for diesels only.
Yep, its a cluster meant for the GTIs.

Speaking of which, the internationally available 6C clusters now have a different connector:

Name:  sl1600.png
Views: 5915
Size:  516.0 KB

The ones sold in India currently have the older 32 pin connector though.

On unrelated news, the new set of shocks have been shipped by the German dealer to my friend's address who stays there. Hopefully, it will reach the Indian shores without any trouble.
Gannu_1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2016, 03:37   #833
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBrad View Post
Does the new 1.5TDI have a different fuel filter? I just noticed that the part number is different in my car's 15k service bill. The one in mine has the part number 6RF127401A and costs approx Rs. 1700 whereas your invoice lists this one: 6RF127400A. The cost is lesser too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_clt View Post
As per Etka, the 1.5 TDI seems to have a different fuel filter. 6RF127401A as you have quoted is correct for 1.5TDIs (CWXA / CWXB). The fuel lines part number are also different from 1.6TDI. There seems to be an extra seal and water in fuel sensor for the 1.5TDI engines.

1.6TDI/105PS or CLNA engines have 6RF127400A for fuel filter part number.
Quote:
The filter looks the same externally but now costs more as it includes the sensor and that is changed along with the filter every 15,000 kms.
With reference to the discussion,
Fuel filter without water in fuel sensor -- 6RF127400A, still billed for 1.6TDI engines (CLNA), approx Rs.1300
Fuel filter with water in fuel sensor -- 6RF127401A, currently being billed from ASC to 1.5 TDI engines (CWXA / CWXB), approx Rs. 1950
Part number for the fuel lines connected to the filter seems to be different for 1.5TDI vs 1.6TDI engines. Would that affect interchangeability, aside from the cluster? Quite a useful feature to have. Have seen them in all Tata diesel (crdi) engines.

Part diagrams -- Source

Last edited by avinash_clt : 3rd August 2016 at 03:38.
avinash_clt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2016, 09:05   #834
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_clt View Post
Would that affect interchangeability, aside from the cluster? Quite a useful feature to have...
Unfortunately not a straight fit and the only useful feature is the cluster warning lamp. Unlike the feature on some trucks that allow you to drain water from the filter, this has no such option.

Would have been worth an attempt to retrofit without the sensor if the drain facility was available.

The only remedy when the warning lamp comes on is to take it to an ASC / FNG and have the water removed from the tank and fuel system.

Without the sensor and warning lamp fitment, it really doesn't have any value.
Old 8th August 2016, 09:15   #835
Team-BHP Support

A colleague-friend has gone to Europe (Germany, Austria, Switzerland). So before he went, here's what others requested him:

Friend: Hey, get us some chocolates!

Another friend: Hey get me some fragrances from the duty free!

Another friend: Hey, get me some Nutella jars!

Me: Hey, get me a set of Bilstein shock absorbers!

Reaction from friends:

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-ayfkm.jpg

Lucky for me, he was a petrol-head and has interests in these things so he agreed to lug them from Germany for me.

So here it is waiting to get picked up from his friend's place at Munich:

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-1.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-2.jpg

He will be here next week. Waiting to get them installed from a Bosch car service outlet.

Have also ordered some heavy duty front strut mounts from ECS Tuning. Hopefully, they will be here by next week. Replacing all the suspension related rubber parts when I do this swap.

EDIT 1: He wasn't permitted to board the bus from Munich to Zurich due to the size of the box! He had to take an instant train instead. Damages to the wallet - 83 Euros instead of 15!

EDIT 2: Boarded the flight from Zurich to New Delhi (with an 8 hour layover at Dubai). The box was checked in as 'bulky luggage' in the cargo. Didn't have to pay anything more for the added weight though!

EDIT 3: Managed to reach New Delhi and successfully passed through the green channel. No duties charged! Will wait for the dampers patiently now.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 12th August 2016 at 08:02.
Gannu_1 is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 15th August 2016, 17:13   #836
BHPian

Re: Gannu's VW Polo GT TDI ownership log : 35,000 km up!

Quote:
5. OEM anti-glare ORVMs:
HI Ganesh

can you help me with the below

I am trying to remove the outer cover of the ORVM of my Vento. I have been able to remove the mirror (without breaking it) but i got stuck after that as the online videos seems to show a different assembly from what is in my car. I am attaching some photos of the assemby. I could easily identify one clip on the right side which could be easily released but the outer cover won't budge . There seems to be atleast a second clip somewhere which is not to be found. Any help will be much appreciated
Attached Thumbnails
VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-img_20160815_162149278.jpg  

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-img_20160815_162154992.jpg  

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-img_20160815_162243093.jpg  

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 16th August 2016 at 07:52. Reason: Fixing broken quotes.
Old 16th August 2016, 08:09   #837
Team-BHP Support

Crossed this milestone while we were returning from Palakkad yesterday.

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-unnamed.jpg

And where were we parked while I clicked this snap? Opposite Hyundai's plant at Sriperumbudur!

Experienced a mad rush at the toll booths near Walajahpet and Vaniyambadi yesterday due to the Independence Day weekend. Spent close to 30 minutes at the Walajahpet toll booth crawling our way through. Spotted several cars with the TBHP stickers on the road and at the A2B Thoppur and Saisangeet (A2B was crowded so we pushed to saisangeet); couldn't click a snap though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohan Mathew A View Post
I am trying to remove the outer cover of the ORVM of my Vento.
The two clips are spaced apart on the top IIRC. To get it done in an easier way, remove these 3 Torx screws and you will get better access to pry open the cover.

Name:  IMG_20160815_162154992.png
Views: 4955
Size:  315.8 KB

These screws are long (~30 mm) and once removed, you can keep aside the mechanism (with a masking tape if you wish to instead of leaving it hanging) while working on the innards of the cover. The mechanism is held by the cables - nothing can break or go wrong here. I had removed it while installing the puddle lights.

Why do you want to remove this cover?

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 16th August 2016 at 08:16.
Gannu_1 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th August 2016, 10:58   #838
BHPian

Quote:
Why do you want to remove this cover?
Thanks for the suggestion.I thought of removing the screws but was afraid that i will mess-up something so didn't do it. I will try it now.The online videos of the current polo was all showing a much easier mechanism where both the clips are easily visible. I suppose we have a different assembly.

I applied the 3M paint protection film myself (as 3M was quoting absurd rates) at the door edges, door sill and door handle cup and it went off pretty well so i thought i will wrap the ORVMs in carbon fibre vinyl. I know it can be done without removing but unfortunately i don't have access to electric socket in my parking to use the hair dryer so thought of removing it and doing it at home.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 16th August 2016 at 14:02. Reason: Fixing broken quote tags.
Old 16th August 2016, 14:10   #839
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohan Mathew A View Post
i thought i will wrap the ORVMs in carbon fibre vinyl
Mohan, it would just be me but that looks like too much of work just to get the wrap done. I suggest you get it done from a place which has an electric socket near the parking lot (no 10-15 m extension cords you can borrow?) so you don't have to dismantle everything.

I got the carbon fiber wraps on the mirror covers done from a 3M outlet in Pune (link) when the car was 6 months/7k old and removed it only a few months back (just to revert to the stock black covers). I must say it did protect the cover's paint from those nicks and small scratches. When the CF wrap was peeled off, the covers appeared brand new!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 17th August 2016 at 06:54.
Gannu_1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2016, 11:33   #840
BHPian

Quote:
Mohan, it would just be me but that looks like too much of work just to get the wrap done. I suggest you get it done from a place which has an electric socket near the parking lot (no 10-15 m extension cords you can borrow?) so you don't have to dismantle everything.
Thanks for the advice.I started off since i thought it is a relatively simple process. I stay on the 8th floor so getting an extension is not easy. I will have to re-evaluate.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks