Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2021, 20:37   #1201
BHPian

re: VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...

I can totally relate to you and your experience with your kid..

My 18 month old daughter is fascinated with cars and used to ask to be taken on short drives as early as 1 yr. She says "Pei pei" (mimicking the car horn) in a super cute way and we know to take her on a trip. There was a point in time when she only fell asleep while travelling in car and we used to take her on 10 KM trips around the locality every night .
charanreddy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2021, 17:55   #1202
Tkm

22 year old zen?!!!!!!
Man you are a true BHPian.
Great read and wonderful pics.
Hope to hear from the Zen when she is 30
Keep up the great posts
Tkm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th December 2021, 12:22   #1203
BHPian

Dear All,

From morning the "illuminate glow plug light " has started blinking through out the drive. Is this a serious issue. I have attached the picture for reference. Please advice
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Polo instrument issue.pdf (73.8 KB, 224 views)
Old 24th December 2021, 13:43   #1204
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdexter View Post
Dear All,

From morning the "illuminate glow plug light " has started blinking through out the drive. https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...donts-123.html (VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts)Is this a serious issue. I have attached the picture for reference. Please advice

Please check all the wiring in the engine bay. I had the same problem when a wire was bitten by mice and after it was fixed by a local auto electrician, the signal didn’t go away immediately. So he removed the mains from the battery for 2 minutes and connected it back and the warning/error lights’ problem was gone.

Also, since this is Gannu’s thread (I know it’s an encyclopedia for Polo owners, so we come here for most of the issues), and there is a dedicated thread for Polo, you can use that thread (VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts) in the future.
vishaljawahar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2021, 14:17   #1205
BHPian

Thank you very much for your response and also for suggesting suitable page. :-)
Old 28th December 2021, 14:55   #1206
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishaljawahar View Post
Please check all the wiring in the engine bay. I had the same problem when a wire was bitten by mice and after it was fixed by a local auto electrician, the signal didn’t go away immediately. So he removed the mains from the battery for 2 minutes and connected it back and the warning/error lights’ problem was gone.
Thank you for the suggestion. It was a rat bit and the local mechanic attached the wire by soldering for Rs 200. Now it is fine.

Last edited by Jaggu : 28th December 2021 at 15:21. Reason: Fixing [Quote] tags, please Preview before Submitting posts. Thanks.
mrdexter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2023, 22:53   #1207
BHPian

Absolutely love how detailed each and every aspect of this ownership review is, had the time of my life reading it! However, the thread has been dormant for the past 2 years now, any updates on the car?
Sreesh1009 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 31st May 2023, 08:11   #1208
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sreesh1009 View Post
Absolutely love how detailed each and every aspect of this ownership review is, had the time of my life reading it!
Thank you Sreesh! Appreciate it man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sreesh1009 View Post
However, the thread has been dormant for the past 2 years now, any updates on the car?
Long story short from the The "I Booked my Car" Thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
The Polo has been sold to a scrap dealer after 9 years, 1.78 lakh km and an engine seize followed by a shoddy repair job by the FNG. It’s a long story which I’ll save for the ownership thread update.

Booked our new car last month and has reached the dealership. Got the PDI cleared by a BHPian and paid the full booking amount.

Make: Honda
Model: Jazz
Variant: VX CVT
Booking Date: 02 November
ETA at dealer: 13 November
Delivery date: 23 December
OTR Cost: Rs 11,20,000 (Palakkad)
Discounts: 20k
Free Accessories: None
A lot of them have asked for a detailed update and I am not lying when I say I had started penning down the update a few months back but every time I revisit the draft to complete it, I just can't type.

I've a lot to say - the last road trip we undertook from Chennai - Palakkad - Mysore - Udupi - Murdeshwar - Kasargod - Calicut - Palakkad - <car broke down>, the amazing food we had during the trip, the breakdown saga, the arduous 8 hour trip in the flatbed truck from the outskirts of Salem to Chennai, the repair job and finally bidding goodbye to her.

On a positive note, the scrap dealer swapped the 1.6L engine from a donor car and sold it to Cars24. A stranger called me up a few days back who seemed to have bought the car from Cars24 (he might have got the contact details from the RTO) and guess what! He stays 20 km from my hometown (Palakkad)! Will pay him a visit next time I am home.

As regards the Jazz, not quite the replacement most would have thought of but I wanted a reliable, automatic hatchback. I’ll save the YOLO and performance part for the next upgrade.

Will give this thread a proper closure soon enough. The car deserves at least that much.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 31st May 2023 at 08:15.
Gannu_1 is offline   (55) Thanks
Old 31st May 2023, 08:39   #1209
BHPian

Re: VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...

Really sorry to hear this, Gannu.

It comes as a shock because the way you maintained this car was just out of this world. Many here at TBHP itself reporting 1.6 TDI throwing up lot issues once it reaches close to 2K on the ODO. I sold my Octavia when it was at 1.5K, then in a strange or amusing way my 4.5K Elantra refuses to give up, gave it to my cousin and doing duties happily.

Such a shame, these VW cars are so amazing to drive when everything works and vice versa.

So you are going to meet your car soon, coincidence or what I actually saw my Elantra recently again.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-...ml#post5554909 (4,50,000 km on my 2006 Hyundai Elantra CRDi - And going strong!)

Pen down your experience after the meet.

All the best with your new Jazz.

Drive safe.

Last edited by jonesanto : 31st May 2023 at 09:08.
jonesanto is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st May 2023, 12:42   #1210
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
<car broke down>, the amazing food we had during the trip, the breakdown saga
What caused the engine seizure?

FNG are good for simple oil change jobs and anything complicated; its better to stick with Authorized Workshop. Since the work would carry a certain warranty on parts.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2023, 14:34   #1211
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
The Polo has been sold to a scrap dealer after 9 years, 1.78 lakh km and an engine seize followed by a shoddy repair job by the FNG. It’s a long story which I’ll save for the ownership thread update.
A lot of them have asked for a detailed update and I am not lying when I say I had started penning down the update a few months back but every time I revisit the draft to complete it, I just can't type.
This is devastating news, which I had entirely missed until now.

It must have been really heart-braking for you. Sympathy and condolences: this is really loosing a family member.
Quote:
As regards the Jazz, not quite the replacement most would have thought of but I wanted a reliable, automatic hatchback.
So no TSI for you?

Well, it is also sad that Polo is no more as an Indian vehicle. As my TDI gets older, I can't help thinking of the TSI. But as I get older and poorer, I have to tell myself that it would be very stupid!

I am still committed to keeping the TDI for it's effective life, and accepting that that is going to cost money, increasingly, each year.

My last Polo fault resulted in loss of coolant. I had been very remiss in not checking levels, and we were very, very lucky that it happened during a hot-weather spell and it was unbearable to drive after the AC failed to work. Thus the diagnosis, in time, (of a leaking oil cooler; a part I had not even heard of before) which probably saved the life of my engine. The car appeared to be driving just fine, with no warning lights, and finding out how serious the situation was almost gave me a seizure!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st June 2023, 06:27   #1212
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
On a positive note, the scrap dealer swapped the 1.6L engine from a donor car and sold it to Cars24.
While the breakdown must have been stressful and emotional, this is a pretty positive final outcome! The new owner is a lucky chap indeed. Congrats on a great ownership story and can't wait for the next one with the Jazz!

Last edited by McLaren Rulez : 1st June 2023 at 06:29.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st June 2023, 17:09   #1213
Senior - BHPian

I'm gutted to hear this! Damn! I actually wanted to check out your car in detail after COVID and it hurts really bad. Hope you have a good time with the Jazz!

Although it's a horrible thing to read, you really need to put up a detailed post to keep all existing owners informed! Our Vento just turned 9 years old and we were planning to keep it for a few more years knowing very well that there are people out there keeping it for long. Now, I've lost that confidence!
Turbohead is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 1st June 2023, 17:17   #1214
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
... we were planning to keep it for a few more years knowing very well that there are people out there keeping it for long. Now, I've lost that confidence!
We certainly need to know the possible pitfalls. Please note my experience above, where I did not know that the engine coolant was running away.

I have fallen into the habit of not much checking stuff between services; it is not much necessary (excepting diesels may need a mid-year oil top up) with new cars. But it absolutely is now.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th June 2023, 11:28   #1215
BHPian

Quote:

Long story short from the The "I Booked my Car" Thread:

Damn man, somethings are just out of our control. Wish you many happy miles with the new ride. Sometimes when a chapter ends maybe something even better awaits in the horizon.

Shoddy repair job and they just left you hanging? Maybe highlight place and also workdone so others might be more vigilant.
SideView is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks