Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2014, 17:16   #16
D4D
BHPian

Re: A DDiS love affair: My Maruti Swift VDi

It's some bad mileage figures. Try de-carbonization by adding the additives(Don't open the engine). The price of the glow plugs are on the higher side. I heard from my friend that Fiat ASS quoted him INR 2.4k for his Punto.
Old 24th April 2014, 17:48   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoombiee View Post
Please PM me. I can guide you to 2 competent people who may be able to help you. I am unable to send a PM to @DDiSLover and hence posting this on the forum.
Well I am a newbie and I don't think I have the required levels of permissions to send a PM yet!
Old 24th April 2014, 21:17   #18
BHPian

Wow! That's one hot looking ride, and that too an old swift diesel! just awesome.

BTW, i have a similar set of seat covers on my new swift zxi (torque blue). The seat covers match your car so nicely.

Regarding mods, here are my suggestions -
1. Smoked tail lamps and even headlamps if possible.
2. A hood scoop (functional or non-functional). Atleast it won't highlight the windshield washers that are now sticking out like a sore thumb.
3. DRLs or angel lights? possibly angel lights in red!
4. Exhaust mufflers so that you can make some NOISE with your car!

keep the mods coming and don't forget to pamper her from time to time!
Wish you many more miles of fun and trouble-free experience!

-Kaushik
Old 24th April 2014, 23:32   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik51094 View Post
Wow! That's one hot looking ride, and that too an old swift diesel! just awesome.

BTW, i have a similar set of seat covers on my new swift zxi (torque blue). The seat covers match your car so nicely.

Regarding mods, here are my suggestions -
1. Smoked tail lamps and even headlamps if possible.
2. A hood scoop (functional or non-functional). Atleast it won't highlight the windshield washers that are now sticking out like a sore thumb.
3. DRLs or angel lights? possibly angel lights in red!
4. Exhaust mufflers so that you can make some NOISE with your car!

keep the mods coming and don't forget to pamper her from time to time!
Wish you many more miles of fun and trouble-free experience!

-Kaushik
Hey Kaushik,

Thanks man! I have been waiting for almost 5 years to give my car her make over!

I am planning on smoking the tail lamps and if possible, some dark accents to the head lights. I will look out for the hood scoop.

Regarding angel head lights, I have heard that they light up the road less when compared to the current 100W bulbs I have. Night driving is a pain for me, and I need lights that light up the road well.

Is it a good idea to add a muffler tip to a diesel car?
Old 25th April 2014, 09:08   #20
BHPian

That was a nice ownership thread. Very happy to see a stripped swift. I am too getting a mileage of 12-13 with 95% A/C on. However, on long drives, I do get 20-21. Probably because, when on long drives, I always drive barefoot, and its only my right leg thumb, which controls the throttle. In city its different footwear on different days and maybe I m driving with a heavy foot.
Old 26th April 2014, 21:12   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDiSLover View Post
Regarding angel head lights, I have heard that they light up the road less when compared to the current 100W bulbs I have. Night driving is a pain for me, and I need lights that light up the road well.

Is it a good idea to add a muffler tip to a diesel car?
Well, angel lights do light the roads less, but they aren't meant for it. They are just for style like, during times when you use the pilot lamps (say, at dusk or early morning), you can rather use the angel lights. They'll look cool!

BTW, aren't mufflers good for diesel cars? I thought they don't matter whatever the type of fuel be. Infact i have seen some chevy cruzes with mufflers and they do sound amazingly cool especially in closed parkings like in malls But better confirm with someone who has more knowledge about these mufflers before plonking your money in.

And, what sort of performance modifications have you done for your car? Not that the swift diesel needs it, but anything more is better, right? How about some performance air filters, some tuning and other performance mods (sorry, i'm a noob at this, but still you get the point.)??
Old 28th April 2014, 11:26   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoombiee View Post
Please PM me. I can guide you to 2 competent people who may be able to help you. I am unable to send a PM to @DDiSLover and hence posting this on the forum.
Hey zoombiee, is there way you can share the details? I will be free from April 31st till May 4th and I really want to fix up my car during this time. Would it be possible to add the details to the classifields and post the link here? I hope that it isn't against forum rules to do so!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik51094 View Post
Well, angel lights do light the roads less, but they aren't meant for it. They are just for style like, during times when you use the pilot lamps (say, at dusk or early morning), you can rather use the angel lights. They'll look cool!

BTW, aren't mufflers good for diesel cars? I thought they don't matter whatever the type of fuel be. Infact i have seen some chevy cruzes with mufflers and they do sound amazingly cool especially in closed parkings like in malls But better confirm with someone who has more knowledge about these mufflers before plonking your money in.

And, what sort of performance modifications have you done for your car? Not that the swift diesel needs it, but anything more is better, right? How about some performance air filters, some tuning and other performance mods (sorry, i'm a noob at this, but still you get the point.)??
Well, Ill probably take a call on the angel lights and muffler tip sometime later. I need to save up for it first!
Regarding performance mods, I haven't done anything as of now. I am facing some issues with the mileage and power now, and I am planning on getting those fixed as a priority. I am planning on getting a DieselTronic or a Pete's tuning box along with KnN air filters soon!
Old 28th April 2014, 16:40   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac187 View Post
The mileage you have mentioned is too low as pointed out by others. If you can come to HSR, I will take you to my local mechanic who can help identify the problem, else as someone suggested Lokesh @ Surakshaa would be best option.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
...f you do NOT mind, please take the car to Surakshaa @ Bommanahalli and talk to Lokesh (Works Manager - top most guy there). Tell him that you are from team-bhp and he will help you out. They are a bunch of nice blokes. He might relate your car to mine quite quickly too.
Hey Swiftnfurious, mac

I am going to take my car to Surakshaa @ Bommanahalli on Wednesday or Friday and I shall talk to Lokesh.Hopefully he will be able to diagnose what the issue is.

To summarize, the things that I should ask him to check out for sure are:
1. Brake drag
2. Turbo pipe leakage
3. Wheel bearing issues
4. inter-cooler and map sensor cleaning

I shall also ask him to change the engine oil to synthetic oil. Going by the suggestion, ill try Mobil Delvac 1. Any other recommendations?

Is there anything else that I should make sure is checked out?

Mac, I can come by HSR also. It would be very helpful indeed if you could take me to your mechanic and help me diagnose the issue! Would be a great having you around! Please let me know if you would be free any day between April 30th and May 4th and if your mechanic also would be working.

@Mods, sorry for the back to back posts. I couldn't find the option to edit my previous post. :(
Old 28th April 2014, 17:17   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
....I am going to take my car to Surakshaa @ Bommanahalli on Wednesday or Friday and I shall talk to Lokesh.Hopefully he will be able to diagnose what the issue is.

To summarize, the things that I should ask him to check out for sure are:
1. Brake drag
2. Turbo pipe leakage
3. Wheel bearing issues
4. inter-cooler and map sensor cleaning...
You may NOT have to give him specific inputs. Please tell him your problem and he will outline the checks required. He is a quite senior resource and get him to TD the car once you reach. Lokesh comes to the centre by 9.30 IIRC. You may even have a call with him and probably check for the best day to carry a test - I feel Wednesday could be better than Friday.

Well, I seriously hope your issue gets sorted out and you start enjoying your car well! Do keep us posted please. Also I request you to take one step at a time. I understand your pain, but things need a structured and patient approach.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 28th April 2014 at 17:21.
Old 28th April 2014, 18:03   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Hey Swiftnfurious, mac

I am going to take my car to Surakshaa @ Bommanahalli on Wednesday or Friday and I shall talk to Lokesh.Hopefully he will be able to diagnose what
Please check up on Lokesh's availability at Bommanahalli. He shuttles around Adugodi/Koramangala and Bommanahalli.
You can have your car checked at Pride Cars which is in Banashankari (off KR Road). Contact Details - Harish Naik nine nine 45 one one 22 three three. Harish is very good at debugging issues and is quite honest. You can let him know that blue Palio guy as reffered you. (I have no stake with Pride Cars. I am just a very satisfied customer of his). If he cant help you there is one other chap who can help you. However, I cannot share his details on a public forum. (He has requested the same).
Recommend to visit Pride Cars before Surakshaa.
zoombiee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2014, 18:17   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Mac, I can come by HSR also. It would be very helpful indeed if you could take me to your mechanic and help me diagnose the issue! Would be a great having you around! Please let me know if you would be free any day between April 30th and May 4th and if your mechanic also would be working.

(
Hey, I was unable to PM you my mobile number (newbie status). You can reach me at 080 3913007seven, this is my office landline number. Call me during day time, we can exchange mobile numbers. I will check if my mech is available on 1st May.
Old 28th April 2014, 21:07   #27
BHPian

Quote:

Well, Ill probably take a call on the angel lights and muffler tip sometime later. I need to save up for it first!
Regarding performance mods, I haven't done anything as of now. I am facing some issues with the mileage and power now, and I am planning on getting those fixed as a priority. I am planning on getting a DieselTronic or a Pete's tuning box along with KnN air filters soon!
Oh, ok. All the best for bringing your car back to it's best condition. Waiting for more mods!
Old 30th April 2014, 19:24   #28
BHPian

Hey Guys,

I went to Lokesh and he told me to change the timing belt. He said that after this, we can investigate if the mileage is still an issue. I am also changing the engine oil to synthetic. Hopefully, this will bring the car back to the original state

Also, I noticed something very curious. This time, after tanking up, I did two trips to the airport, totalling around 230kms. I have done 400 kms since I tanked up, and I still have a quarter tank of fuel remaining! Oh the joy!

This sort of proves that it is city driving that drinks fuel. Funny thing is that I drive with a very light foot when I am in the city, but with more of a heavy foot on the highway. Maybe I should drive with a heavy foot all the time!

When I drove to the airport, it felt like my car was towing another car behind it. I drove in 3rd and 4th gear at high revs for a while and on the way back, I must say that the power was much better than before. Lets see what Lokesh has to say once he starts work on my car on Friday.

@swiftnfurious, He did recognize tea-bhp and you instantly! We should catch up sometime. He was of the opinion that we share a lot of similar interests!
DDiSLover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2014, 11:51   #29
BHPian

Congratulations on your Swift D ownership!

I own the same outgoing model and run it on stock tyres. The recommended pressure for 165/80/14 tyres is 36 for front and 33 at the back. You should find those mentioned when you open the door.

It used to be 33 all tyres for the petrol swift I had. The heavier diesel engine necessitating the extra psi at the front I reckon. You might want to check this with MASS before you do anything else with/to your car

Happy motoring
Old 5th May 2014, 11:03   #30
BHPian

Hello,

I got my car back on Sunday and a lot was done. I will post a complete list of changes that were made soon.

The car has become very smooth to drive, both from the engine/transmission smoothness and the cabin comfort points of view. Hopefully, the mileage will also increase

I have also got a print out of everything MASS has done to my car since November (the 3 major services I can remember). Does anyone know of a online site where I can get this info? The folks at MASS are able to pull this data from their computers, and it applies over all MASS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDIS View Post
Congratulations on your Swift D ownership!

I own the same outgoing model and run it on stock tyres. The recommended pressure for 165/80/14 tyres is 36 for front and 33 at the back. You should find those mentioned when you open the door.

It used to be 33 all tyres for the petrol swift I had. The heavier diesel engine necessitating the extra psi at the front I reckon. You might want to check this with MASS before you do anything else with/to your car

Happy motoring
Hey DDIS! I run my car at 34psi all tyres. I'll have a go at using 36psi in the front tryes and see if it makes any difference. I'm running on 185mm tyres fyi.
DDiSLover is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed