Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2014, 13:45   #91
BANNED

Re: A DDiS love affair: My Maruti Swift VDi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDiSLover View Post
I just hope we can find out what is wrong and fix it, before its too late. I did some calculations and I reckon I spend about 5k on fuel per month, driving about 800-900 kms.
Wow, that quiet a lot for the distance travelled. I spend between 5.6-6.5K for a travel of 3400 kms a month.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2014, 13:52   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Wow, that quiet a lot for the distance travelled. I spend between 5.6-6.5K for a travel of 3400 kms a month.

Anurag.
*sigh*

So, doing the math, since I brought the car to bangalore,

I have spent
  1. 56,000 on services
  2. 20,000 for the alloys and some misc items like horn, parcel tray etc
  3. say on average 5k per month on fuel, it has been 12 months since I came, so 60,000 on fuel
  4. That brings the total to around 1,36,000 rupees on my car.
No wonder I dont have any savings!

+ side is that My car drives like a dream, and looks the part too (from my point of view)
- side is that I have to keep spending around 5k per month on fuel :(
Old 29th May 2014, 14:26   #93
Senior - BHPian

Why dont you sell it, as your family also seems to be suggesting, buy a new Swift and the ZDI this time around. Just a suggestion, I really do understand how hard it is to sell a car you just LOVE.
Old 29th May 2014, 14:43   #94
BHPian

Thanks for the ownership review. Just wanted to know on how the DDiS behaves with the fuel filled within the city and that was filled on the highways. Did you find any differences?

The DDis engine has a sump to collect water if the fuel happens to be adulterated. Can you write some information on this if you have experienced anything related to the fuel with respect to this engine?

My cousin has an older model Swift (2008) which he likes the most. He says he never wants to depart from it as the older version Swift suits him in every aspect.

Last edited by yogeshnaik : 29th May 2014 at 14:46.
Old 29th May 2014, 14:44   #95
BANNED

Quote:
No wonder I dont have any savings!

- side is that I have to keep spending around 5k per month on fuel
+1 to dass,

In case there no solution to your high fuel consumption, sell the car and go buy a New Swift in the ZDi variant. It is safer, better an upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
Why dont you sell it, as your family also seems to be suggesting, buy a new Swift and the ZDI this time around. Just a suggestion, I really do understand how hard it is to sell a car you just LOVE.
Anurag.
Old 29th May 2014, 14:53   #96
BHPian

Quote:
+1 to dass,
In case there no solution to your high fuel consumption, sell the car and go buy a New Swift in the ZDi variant. It is safer, better an upgrade.
Anurag.
Quote:
I am considering it, and the only thing stopping me is that I love this car too much. If I could buy another car without selling this one, I would.

Let's see, if I am unable to resolve the issues within the next 2 months, I'll probably take the plunge. Will go to Lokesh tomorrow and see what can be done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogeshnaik View Post
Thanks for the ownership review. Just wanted to know on how the DDiS behaves with the fuel filled within the city and that was filled on the highways. Did you find any differences?

The DDis engine has a sump to collect water if the fuel happens to be adulterated. Can you write some information on this if you have experienced anything related to the fuel with respect to this engine?

My cousin has an older model Swift (2008) which he likes the most. He says he never wants to depart from it as the older version Swift suits him in every aspect.
I have not had any experience with this. In fact, this is the first time I have heard of such a concept. I shall look into this and let you know.

I will see if I can tank up with Shell diesel and see if that makes a difference.

Cheers guys!
Old 29th May 2014, 20:41   #97
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogeshnaik View Post
...The DDis engine has a sump to collect water if the fuel happens to be adulterated. Can you write some information on this if you have experienced anything related to the fuel with respect to this engine?...
If this happens, then there is a warning light (water in fuel)that comes in the console. That way, the diagnosis is easy and it would NOT go unnoticed. This problem will require changing a fuel filter sensor which will cost ~2000/- IIRC.

Quote:
I am considering it, and the only thing stopping me is that I love this car too much. If I could buy another car without selling this one, I would...
It's gonna be a tough job to find a replacement! The only option I can think of is Polo GTD - I have NOT TDed it yet. May be another option could be the Bolt / Zest if those get the FTD factor correctly!

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 29th May 2014 at 20:46.
Old 30th May 2014, 12:03   #98
Senior - BHPian

One other suggestion (suggestions are free, so they are always overflowing)

Do you wait till the fuel is near empty to refill or fill it earlier? I have always found that I get better mileage when I refill at the half way mark.
Old 30th May 2014, 12:27   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Anurag.
Hey how do you manage that ? What is the price of diesel In Hyderabad ? Even at 60 Rupees, U must be getting a mileage of 34 per liter to get that kind of figures for 3400 km per month. Some calculation mistake kya ?

Quote:

I just hope we can find out what is wrong and fix it, before its too late. I did some calculations and I reckon I spend about 5k on fuel per month, driving about 800-900 kms.
I had clicked a picture for you yesterday but unfortunately, I don't have the Iphone cord to transfer it, it showed that the car had run 500 km after the full tank was last done and the tank was 3 bars below the half mark which means its good to go another 150 km arounds. This is all city driving, in traffic and with some pedal to metal too on empty stretches.

Last edited by humyum : 30th May 2014 at 12:30.
humyum is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2014, 13:11   #100
BANNED

Quote:

Do you wait till the fuel is near empty to refill or fill it earlier? I have always found that I get better mileage when I refill at the half way mark.
Never experienced any such phenomenon. I fill-in only when the needle goes near 'E' Mark, NOT touching the 'E' Mark, very risky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post

Hey how do you manage that ? What is the price of diesel In Hyderabad ? Even at 60 Rupees, U must be getting a mileage of 34 per liter to get that kind of figures for 3400 km per month. Some calculation mistake kya ?
Here are the details below.

I stop filing at auto-cut off.

>> Bunk = Indian Oil Corporation

>> Nozzle = Same filling nozzle from 4 years (particular about this - I wait till my chance) with the valve opened ONLY to the 1st locking rachet slower filling speed)

>> Tyre Pressures (Warm pressures) = F - 33psi & R - 31psi (find a 1-2psi drop in all tyres). Fuel and air filled at the same time

>> No. of Full tank's a month = 2 to 3

>> Rate of Diesel/litre = Rs 61.80

>> Avg quantity of diesel filled/full tank = 32.0 - 33.5 lts

>> Cost per full tank = Rs 1978 to 2080

So on an average I spend Rs 6500 a month in worst case where pedal-to-metal is more BUT I avoid and control the pedal-to-metal kick.

Anurag.

Last edited by a4anurag : 30th May 2014 at 13:15.
Old 30th May 2014, 14:20   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
I had clicked a picture for you yesterday but unfortunately, I don't have the Iphone cord to transfer it, it showed that the car had run 500 km after the full tank was last done and the tank was 3 bars below the half mark which means its good to go another 150 km arounds. This is all city driving, in traffic and with some pedal to metal too on empty stretches.
Quote:
One other suggestion (suggestions are free, so they are always overflowing)

Hey guys,

I do fill up when the guage is just above E.

I went to Lokesh today and we did a proper fuel test on the highway. We drove about 48.7 kms with the AC on, and we got 21.08kmpl!!!!!

This was with the car almost always in 4th and 5th, at speeds of arond 80-100, although we did get stuck at silk board and the Ecity flyover toll for about 15 mins with the engine idling.

Looks like there isn't anything wrong with my car anymore! (highway atleast)

The air filter was pretty dirty and we replaced it before starting the test. The question now is why aren't I getting decent mileage figures during my daily commute.
Lokesh reckons it is the fuel. I'm going to try fueling up from a different pump for a while and see how it goes. Hopefully, this will give me better figures in the city!

Thanks a million guys for all the support! Will keep you posted. Cheers!
DDiSLover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2014, 14:33   #102
Senior - BHPian

Two things...
1. Try shell for the next two fills.
2. Fill up when the tank is at the halfway mark

Also, hopefully you have a covered parking, at home and work, if not, they may also have an impact on FE.
Old 30th May 2014, 14:44   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Two things...
1. Try shell for the next two fills.
2. Fill up when the tank is at the halfway mark

Also, hopefully you have a covered parking, at home and work, if not, they may also have an impact on FE.
Hey dass

I'll try that ! And yes I have a covered parking at home and at work
Old 30th May 2014, 16:20   #104
BANNED

Quote:
I went to Lokesh today and we did a proper fuel test on the highway. We drove about 48.7 kms with the AC on, and we got 21.08kmpl!!!!!

This was with the car almost always in 4th and 5th, at speeds of arond 80-100, although we did get stuck at silk board and the Ecity flyover toll for about 15 mins with the engine idling.

Looks like there isn't anything wrong with my car anymore! (highway atleast)
Finally some good news out there!

21 kmpl, you are now attaining what the DDiS engine is made for!

If possible do a proper FE test only with city driving to see if you get the results like the highway test or FE achieved is lik how your are currently experiencing.

Fuel quality is one part, dirty air filter is another part for low FE!

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th May 2014, 16:34   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Finally some good news out there!

21 kmpl, you are now attaining what the DDiS engine is made for!

If possible do a proper FE test only with city driving to see if you get the results like the highway test or FE achieved is lik how your are currently experiencing.

Fuel quality is one part, dirty air filter is another part for low FE!

Anurag.
Yes, finally some great news!!!

Well, I did tank up to the brim from the same place I did before doing the test. I will tank up the brim again after this week and see what figures I attain. I will try to restrain myself from pushing the engine beyond 2000 rpm and see what figures I get. I will then do the same with my normal driving style and see.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks