Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2014, 11:27   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: A DDiS love affair: My Maruti Swift VDi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDiSLover View Post
...I got my car back on Sunday and a lot was done. I will post a complete list of changes that were made soon.

The car has become very smooth to drive, both from the engine/transmission smoothness and the cabin comfort points of view. Hopefully, the mileage will also increase ...
Great! Awaiting details!

Quote:
...Hey DDIS! I run my car at 34psi all tyres. I'll have a go at using 36psi in the front tryes and see if it makes any difference. I'm running on 185mm tyres fyi...
I personally use to have 2 psi's extra especially for highway drives. While there is a company recommendation, it's more biased towards better FE than a comfortable ride. So if you have people on the rear seat, you better have it reduced. There are people who run on 32 / 30 at the front & rear respectively.

Quote:
...@swiftnfurious, He did recognize tea-bhp and you instantly! We should catch up sometime. He was of the opinion that we share a lot of similar interests!
Would love to catch up with you; but am in Chennai now. Next time I am in Bangy, we shall catch up. I would have personally come with you to Surakshaa if I were there.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 5th May 2014 at 11:28.
Old 5th May 2014, 22:23   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Great! Awaiting details!
Hey SnF!

I got the service history for the last three services I had done. All three were major ones. Below are the details:

17/11/13 84023kms
Got this done at Pratham motors, Bellandur.
  1. 80,000kms major service
  2. Brake cleaning
  3. Engine oil change (mineral oil)
  4. Oil filter change
  5. Replace front right fog lamp
  6. Steering overhaul
  7. Stabilizer bar bush
  8. Strut greasing
  9. Replaced battery
  10. Intercooler ohose replacement
  11. Cabin air filter
  12. MGDO Castrol
  13. MGGO Shell
  14. Coolant
  15. Brake fulid
  16. Service Kit
  17. Blower kit
I was pretty satisfied after this service. The car was definately better than before. However, they were unable to improve the mileage and missed out on changing the timing belt completely. Lokesh from Suraksha told me that it was a routine change at 80,000kms and that not changing this could lead to serious engine damage. Shocking that they missed out on this.
Total amount 20247

25/02/14 87263kms
I got this done at Kalyani motors, Brookefield.
  1. Stabilizer bar bush (again!)
  2. Front suspension arm both side R&R - any idea what R&R is?
  3. Blower Cleaning (again)
  4. Support comp front strut
  5. joint comp fr stabilier
  6. Steering tie rod
  7. EGR Valve cleaning
  8. Wheel alignment
I was not very happy with Kalyani motors. They told me they overhauled the steering and wonder of wonders, the steering wheel was miss-aligned by almost 90 degrees! Totally unprofessional service. I had informed him of the sad mileage and power and he told me cleaning the EGR valve would fix everything. I must say, there weren't many changes to my car before and after service, except for getting the interiors cleaned. I am confused about two things here:
1. They claim to have done an R&R to the front suspension arms on both sides. However, the front suspension was only worse after service. I got them replaced at Suraksha and the difference is massive. The car feels heavenly now. Any idea what R&R is? Was I cheated on this front by Kalyani?
2.Why would they change the Stabilizer Bar Bush when it is clear from the vehicle history that it was changed in the previous service? They didn't even inform me of this fact. To top this off, the car went in with 7 floor mats (4 plastic and 3 cloth like<OEM>) but came back with only the 4 plastic mats. It was my mistake. I was too busy with my sister's wedding when I gave my car for service and didn't pay attention to the finer details. My mistake. Never will I go to Kalyani motors again. I don't mind driving 15kms each time to Suraksha motors in Bommanahalli.
Total amount 16934

04/05/14 89610kms
This was the latest service I got done at Suraksha motors. I went to Lokesh after all the advice on this thread. I must say I am very happy with the work.
  1. MGDO Shell
  2. Front suspension both sides Arm Assembly
  3. Front stabilizer moount
  4. Timing chain
  5. Adjuster assembly- Tesioner
  6. Gasket oil pump
  7. Oil pump assembly
  8. oil drain plug assembly
  9. front stabilizer joint comp.

The car has become a dream to drive again! Power is back, although, I hesitate to push my lil angel hard, because I just got her back to normal after almost a year of fire fighting. The suspension is just dreamy! Each time as I crawl into a gutter on Bangy roads, I find myself clenching my teeth, ready for the raw rattle, but pleasantly surprised by the softness with which she absorbs the rattles! I can't remember the last time she soaked up such rattles so effortlessly! I just hope the mileage also improves!

I did face an issue with the AC though. They cleaned the blower, but I could feel the AC wasn't as effective as it was before. I called up Lokesh, who promptly tried to arrange a pick up. Since I was already at office and I need my car this week, I told him that I will drop by over the weekend. He assured me that he will get it checked out. Here is to hoping everything gets sorted out soon
Total Amount 18288

I am happy to get my sweetheart back in full health! Such a relief to have atleast 90% of all the issues sorted out. Will confirm the mileage figures after I fill up next. Lets pray and hope that it isn't too soon! I will be more than satisfied to get at least 550 kms to a full tank. Way better than the current 400kms to a full tank!

Quote:
Would love to catch up with you; but am in Chennai now. Next time I am in Bangy, we shall catch up. I would have personally come with you to Surakshaa if I were there.
Oh cool! Do let me know when you are in town next time around. I would love to catch up with you also.

OT, btw, I could only find a single pic of your ride after the sticker job. I loved the spoiler! Dying to see more of your DDiS!
DDiSLover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2014, 10:24   #33
BHPian

Glad to know that your car feels much better to drive. But did that cost you 56K in a gap of 6K kms? That's quite steep :(

Also, didn't know Surakshaa still has service at Bommanahalli. I thought they have completely shifted service center nearer to Electronics City. I have give my car for service at this center thrice and I must say I am not very impressed. While I have nothing major to complain about, a couple of things like the SA trying to get some additional amount on the bill suggesting stuff I don't need and then not doing things specifically requested for.
Old 6th May 2014, 11:03   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDIS View Post
Glad to know that your car feels much better to drive. But did that cost you 56K in a gap of 6K kms? That's quite steep :(

Also, didn't know Surakshaa still has service at Bommanahalli. I thought they have completely shifted service center nearer to Electronics City. I have give my car for service at this center thrice and I must say I am not very impressed. While I have nothing major to complain about, a couple of things like the SA trying to get some additional amount on the bill suggesting stuff I don't need and then not doing things specifically requested for.
Hey DDIS,

Yes, it cost me 56K in total, and I feel about 30K was wasted. Except for the last service at Suraksha (~16K) and the battery replacement (10K), the rest were just waste. :(

Also, I felt the SA at suraksha (not Lokesh, another bloke) called me and asked me to overhaul the clutch (~8K) but I knew my clutch was fine and told him not to do so. Although, he did speak in a way to inform me of a suspected problem, and not in a sense like "I HAVE to get it done or else suffer major damage". Compared to the other MASS, Suraksha was definitely better!

OT, just noticed our handles are pretty funny when put together!
Old 6th May 2014, 11:05   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...Lokesh from Suraksha told me that it was a routine change at 80,000kms and that not changing this could lead to serious engine damage...
I am NOT too sure about a timing belt change at 80,000 kms. I have NOT had it changed yet. - car is at 90K+ kms. Last time I went for a service, they mentioned it can be changed at 1L kms service.

Quote:
25/02/14 87263kms
I got this done at Kalyani motors, Brookefield.
  1. ...
  2. Front suspension arm both side R&R - any idea what R&R is?
...Any idea what R&R is?
Remove & repair may be? That's a standard term used by MA$$.

Quote:
...Was I cheated on this front by Kalyani? ...
I believe so! You should have wrote a strong email to Maruti contact centre and things would have worked for you well. I think you should get involved a bit more too while getting the job card done.

Quote:
04/05/14 89610kms
This was the latest service I got done at Suraksha motors. I went to Lokesh after all the advice on this thread. I must say I am very happy with the work.

I am happy to get my sweetheart back in full health! Such a relief to have atleast 90% of all the issues sorted out..
Quite happy to know this. Surakshaa is slightly more expensive than others I believe, but totally worth your every penny. Could you post a detailed bill please? Would like to know how much did the timing belt change cost - ~5K?

Quote:
...OT, btw, I could only find a single pic of your ride after the sticker job. I loved the spoiler! Dying to see more of your DDiS!
I have couple of travelogue threads and my ownership review. You'll find some more pics in those.

Quote:
...Also, didn't know Surakshaa still has service at Bommanahalli. I thought they have completely shifted service center nearer to Electronics City...
As far as I know, the e-City branch is a sales outlet. Do they have service also there?

Quote:
...I have give my car for service at this center thrice and I must say I am not very impressed. While I have nothing major to complain about, a couple of things like the SA trying to get some additional amount on the bill suggesting stuff I don't need and then not doing things specifically requested for.
That's quite bad. I think you should put it across to Lokesh. They also are very prompt in taking service feedback - you could have brought it up then. May I know who was your SA?

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 6th May 2014 at 11:07.
Old 6th May 2014, 11:48   #36
BHPian

My swift recently has completed 65, 700 Kms. I normally service it every 5K kms, but this time had to drag on for 700 kms more, since I wanted the vehicle very badly during the last month. Anyhow planning to take her to Suraksha. Following are the niggles
1) A rattle sound coming from the rear.
2) One in the Dual Horns had conked (this is the third time).
3) The last time I had to do wheel rotation, alignment and balancing with Sai Iyengar, noticed that the front right had an uneven wear. Ashwin of Sai Iyengar had asked me to check on the suspension.
4) Blacksmoke at low gears and also a slight lag in pickup(could be a clogged airfilter, considering the areas I drive everyday).
Anymore pointers to look at during the 65K service would be really valuable.

Would provide the details of after service by end of this week.

What about a quick Stripped Swifts meet ?
Old 6th May 2014, 14:32   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamster View Post
My swift recently has completed 65, 700 Kms. I normally service it every 5K kms, but this time had to drag on for 700 kms more, since I wanted the vehicle very badly during the last month. Anyhow planning to take her to Suraksha. Following are the niggles
2) One in the Dual Horns had conked (this is the third time).
3) The last time I had to do wheel rotation, alignment and balancing with Sai Iyengar, noticed that the front right had an uneven wear. Ashwin of Sai Iyengar had asked me to check on the suspension.
4) Blacksmoke at low gears and also a slight lag in pickup(could be a clogged airfilter, considering the areas I drive everyday).
Anymore pointers to look at during the 65K service would be really valuable.

Would provide the details of after service by end of this week.

What about a quick Stripped Swifts meet ?
Going by my experience, just go to Suraksha and ask Lokesh to test drive your car and tell him what issues you faced. He will tell you what he think should be done and you can choose to do them or not.

( Disclaimer: I am not a stake holder at Suraksha nor do i have anything to gain by suggesting them, I am just a customer who was tossed about by other MASS in Bangalore until Suraksha satisfied me! )

I'm game for a quick meet!

Congrats in advance for the new "BHP-ian" status!
PM me your contact details once you get to the the magical BHP-ian status and we shall arrange a meet!

Quote:
I am NOT too sure about a timing belt change at 80,000 kms. I have NOT had it changed yet. - car is at 90K+ kms. Last time I went for a service, they mentioned it can be changed at 1L kms service.
Remove & repair may be? That's a standard term used by MA$$.
I believe so! You should have wrote a strong email to Maruti contact centre and things would have worked for you well. I think you should get involved a bit more too while getting the job card done.
Hey SnF,

It is surprising that we hear different advice on timing belt changes. Anyway, the car is back to a good shape and that is what matters.
R&R - Removal and Repair makes sense, but it was quite evident that no "repairs" were done during the service at Kalyani motors.
Regarding kalyani motors, do you think there is any point in writing to Maruti now? I should have paid more attention while getting the job card. I was busy with my sister's wedding and rushed the car into service. Never again!

Last edited by DDiSLover : 6th May 2014 at 14:37. Reason: Adding content
Old 6th May 2014, 16:26   #38
BHPian

I have been with Suraksha for the past couple of years and Lokesh knows me well.
But this time I am planning to go to their Adugodi center, since in the past few services, I had made an acquaintance with one of their SAs who is right now in Adugodi. Nothing bad about Lokesh, but with this guy, I can communicate in my mother tongue well to explain the problem better.
Will PM you once I get upgraded.
Old 6th May 2014, 16:37   #39
BHPian

Quote:
I have been with Suraksha for the past couple of years and Lokesh knows me well.
But this time I am planning to go to their Adugodi center, since in the past few services, I had made an acquaintance with one of their SAs who is right now in Adugodi. Nothing bad about Lokesh, but with this guy, I can communicate in my mother tongue well to explain the problem better.
Will PM you once I get upgraded.
Oh cool. Always better if you know someone at such places. Do let us know how things turn out.

Regarding the rattling noise, it could be because of the rear seat. In my car, the part of the the seat that clips onto the body (which can be released to fold down the seat) used to rattle a lot. If my big bodied friend or even bigger bodied me sit on the rear left side, the ride would be rattle free!

You could try taping that connecting part with some insulation tape. If it doesn't work , you can always get rid of it!

What color is your car btw? Waiting to see some pics!
Old 6th May 2014, 17:00   #40
BHPian

Okay, Its a silver Swift. Here are a couple of teasers.
Attached Thumbnails
A DDiS love affair: My Maruti Swift VDi-20120818_122257.jpg  

A DDiS love affair: My Maruti Swift VDi-20130907_151643.jpg  

hamster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th May 2014, 17:26   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Okay, Its a silver Swift. Here are a couple of teasers.
Wow! That is a sweet ride!

Did you get the stripes from 3M by any chance?

The alloys look good! Waiting for a detailed thread with details and more pics on your ride!
DDiSLover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2014, 17:42   #42
Senior - BHPian

Timing belt change not required at 80 thousand or 1 lakh kilometers, only if it starts making a noise, you change it. Mine is at 93 thousand km and I am not going to touch the timing belt at all till it makes a ruckus.
Old 6th May 2014, 18:05   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

5K service is NOT really required, but if you choose to pamper your ride a bit more, it's nice.

Rattle from the rear - Could be seat belts; a known problem with Swifts. Let them TD your car and find it out please.

Black smoke + lower pick up - You might need to do an intercooler cleaning.

Quote:
...I had made an acquaintance with one of their SAs who is right now in Adugodi. Nothing bad about Lokesh, but with this guy, I can communicate in my mother tongue well to explain the problem better...
If you are a Keralite, that should be Rajesh I guess?

Quote:
...Regarding kalyani motors, do you think there is any point in writing to Maruti now? I should have paid more attention while getting the job card...
If you wanna take your revenge and send them a strong message, you can do even now. You might also manage to get some amount as a refund, provided you have all the bills in place. You can tell Maruti that Kalyani replaced parts that were NOT required (which you believe were NEVER replaced, but billed for). But if someone can justify that these can be damaged while driving thru bad roads or something, you might lose out - but they will at least be careful with customers going forth.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 6th May 2014 at 18:06.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2014, 19:28   #44
BHPian

Honestly, Have been having the double mind about leaving at 70K itself, rather than now. But, decided to go ahead, to clear of these niggles, so that at 70K, I might have to pay only for the oil changes

Quote:

If you are a Keralite, that should be Rajesh I guess?
Nope, I am a half Keralite and Half Tamilian, its a guy called Pradeep there. Was very comfortable with him and he had fixed the noise issue earlier.
hamster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2014, 22:13   #45
BHPian

Quote:

OT, just noticed our handles are pretty funny when put together!

Quote:
As far as I know, the e-City branch is a sales outlet. Do they have service also there?

That's quite bad. I think you should put it across to Lokesh. They also are very prompt in taking service feedback - you could have

brought it up then. May I know who was your SA?
Yup, The E-City one has a service center as well. I think its almost 2 years since it opened.

I now recall that I have given the car there five times - 10k kms service, 20k kms service, oil change at 22.5k kms, 30k kms service and oil change at 32.5k kms. Engine oil change at 22.5k kms - it is because I wanted to change the engine oil at 15K kms as the first time around the SA said it can be used for 15k kms according to Mobil but Maruti recommends 10k. I used it for 12.5k kms and then read that it is always better to change it sooner than later. Changed it at 10k kms the next time. I plan to bring it inline with the service schedule by changing it at 40k kms.

SA for 10k service was Sachin Rai. It was Dinakar for the other visits. A few of his suggestions and experiences there:

1. Switch back to mineral oil since its cheaper and it won't make a difference!
2. Get a minor service done every 5000 kms as thats what Maruti recommends! He made that into a general check up once we got talking and I insisted that service is not at 5k kms for sure. Now that I clearly recall, I should clarify that this is probably the only thing that he tried to "sell".
3. Each time I gave the car for service I found two of the tyre valve caps missing. So during the third visit I asked him to throw in a few during servicing and to actually make it a standard to fix missing caps for all customers (a la the Hyundai Service Center that my friend gives it to). This I did 3 times during that service - while giving the car, call discussing service specifics and delivery related call. But it wasn't done.
4. They missed removing some old paper during the 30k kms service inspite of telling them that I want them removed. When I went for the last oil change (plus car wash), I had an empty flipkart carton and a few old toll receipts lying in the car. I asked him to remove it and said that they had missed out on it last time around. When I started removing it myself, he stopped me and said he himself will do it rightaway and when I got the car back it was all there.
5. For the last oil change, they had billed me for 3.1 litres of Mobil 1 but had put the remaining 900ml in the 1 litre can also in the boot while delivering the car. When I saw that later and after double checking the bill, I called him and said I will return it. Strangely he did not seem too surprised that they had left stuff worth 3K in the car and neither did he appear too interested in getting it back! When I did give it back (he was as unmoved and not even a "thanks"!), I asked him for the valve caps and he put three on the tyres that need it and gave me one spare, compared to the "15-20" he promised to give me each time I reminded him about the valve caps before this

When I got a call for feedback, I told the lady about specific cleaning instructions not being followed and also that they should not lose tyre valve caps but actually fix it on tyres not having them for all customers. Told the lady that these are small things but they add to the service experience in a positive way. She made all the right noises, but not sure what they will do the next time.

Like I said, nothing that will prevent me from going there, but it's not a great experience.

My friend had a bad experience. Before I started giving it there, I had heard good things about Surakshaa and asked him to give his car for service there. He did so and when his Alto came back from service and he switched the wipers on, there was a big scratch on the windshield. Reason: They had fitted the wipers wrongly. It was later fitted properly, but that scratch is still there. He did not insist on a windshield replacement as I had urged him to.

Last edited by DDIS : 6th May 2014 at 22:18. Reason: Line corrected
DDIS is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks