Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2022, 00:55   #361
Senior - BHPian

Re: Love Hate Relationship | My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance | EDIT: 180,000 km update

Odo at 181600 kms

Oil change service done. Engine oil, oil filter, cabin filter, v-belt were replaced. Skipped the air filter as it was clean enough. Total bill 11600/- including taxes and labour. Labour has become quite expensive, 5400/- is only labour in the above costs. Nothing else to report as of now. Hunt is on for the next ride, hopefully close to fruition.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 10th July 2022, 23:02   #362
BHPian

Re: Love Hate Relationship | My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance | EDIT: 180,000 km update

@adi_petrolhead I am in talks of a 2016 Skoda Octavia, 2.0 TDI AT. The car has run 1.27Lakh Kms. Do you feel 50K is enough for yearly maintenance of the car? My running won't be more than 15K KM per year.
Old 11th July 2022, 09:51   #363
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaibhavyagnik View Post
@adi_petrolhead I am in talks of a 2016 Skoda Octavia, 2.0 TDI AT. The car has run 1.27Lakh Kms. Do you feel 50K is enough for yearly maintenance of the car? My running won't be more than 15K KM per year.
Yearly maintenance will not be more than 20k. If there is a possibility first go for extended warranty, get the car fully checked up.
1. Carry out an oil change service
2. Check if the engine mounts have been replaced yet, check full suspension including bushes and mounts, tie rods, anti roll bar, all these parts rely on rubber bushings which wear over time and need replacement.
3. Brake discs and pads
4. Water pump, timing kit
5. DSG oil and filter change service

If all of the above has been replaced at least once in the past history, you might be okay to run them for some time but expect these things to crop up in a year or so.

If you immediately have to get all these replaced, expect total expense of about 140K immediately besides regular servicing.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th July 2022, 09:56   #364
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Hunt is on for the next ride, hopefully close to fruition.
Noted you moved on to your lovely Kodiaq but ironically missing the DQ200 .

What ar your plans with your equally lovely Octavia. Keep in mind, your OT (in the initial days) was the final factor for people like me to jump for the TSI & not the TDI!
itwasntme is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2022, 10:33   #365
BHPian

Quote:
Yearly maintenance will not be more than 20k. If there is a possibility first go for extended warranty, get the car fully checked up.
I got the car checked at Skoda Service. The parts that need replacement are:
1. The Airbag control module - 64K
2. The AC flap motor - 12k
3. General service - 13K
4. RH A pillar plastic cover - 3K

The timing kit excluding the water pump and DSG oil were replaced in march 2021 at 1.12 Lakh KM.

The flywheel was replaced in 2017

As per the SA the soft parts have started to wear but should be good for atleast 1 year looking at my low expected running. There were no observations on brakes, discs, engine mounts, tie rods etc.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 11th July 2022 at 10:40. Reason: Trimmed post quote.
Old 11th July 2022, 15:46   #366
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I got the car checked at Skoda Service. The parts that need replacement are:
1. The Airbag control module - 64K
2. The AC flap motor - 12k
3. General service - 13K
4. RH A pillar plastic cover - 3K
This alone is close to 1.25 lakh with labour. If the SA is saying the parts have started to wear down, I am surprised. The Struts should have been gone by now, mounts cracked, etc. I changed the mounts on my car twice already, its inevitable if you want a smooth ride all along. Honestly? I don't recommend buying this car dude. Walk away while you can. You can find better and more recent examples somewhere else.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th July 2022, 16:51   #367
BHPian

Quote:
This alone is close to 1.25 lakh with labour. If the SA is saying the parts have started to wear down, I am surprised. The Struts should have been gone by now, mounts cracked, etc. I changed the mounts on my car twice already, its inevitable if you want a smooth ride all along. Honestly? I don't recommend buying this car dude. Walk away while you can. You can find better and more recent examples somewhere else.
The asking price is 9 lakhs. I am thinking to negotiate it to 7.5 Lakhs because of these repairs. Apart from these repairs, I intend to spend 50K per year on maintenance. Do you feel it is a bad deal?
Old 11th July 2022, 17:41   #368
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The asking price is 9 lakhs. I am thinking to negotiate it to 7.5 Lakhs because of these repairs. Apart from these repairs, I intend to spend 50K per year on maintenance. Do you feel it is a bad deal?
Once the issues are sorted, given the high mileage, yes you would be spending about 30-40K per year easy. 7.5 Lakh is ok, but you should get extended warranty. I think that costs around 65K.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2022, 17:57   #369
BHPian

Quote:
Once the issues are sorted, given the high mileage, yes you would be spending about 30-40K per year easy. 7.5 Lakh is ok, but you should get extended warranty. I think that costs around 65K.
Shreenathji skoda Rajkot told me that since the car was already out of warranty, extended warranty is not possible. However they did recommed me getting the 2 year service program for 28K. Even the normal annual service costs 13K so I do not see any merit in that program. According to the service advisor, since the car has such a detailed service history, geniune KMs, and condition of the car, he felt 7.5L was extremely good, 8L was ok and 9L was too high. But I would rather believe you who has maintained his car impeccably.
Old 11th July 2022, 20:40   #370
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Noted you moved on to your lovely Kodiaq but ironically missing the DQ200 .
Yes! I do miss the DQ200, it is much faster than the DQ381-7A in the Kodiaq. But its a minor trade off, if the box doesn't learn my style, I will have to learn its style, my own "Control Unit" is much more flexible that way

Planing to keep it for some time until it finds a suitable second home. Have some work planned on the Octy, its already showing signs of being jealous given the presence of the Kodiaq. The AC has stopped cooling all of a sudden, need to get that checked, and the cabin generally just smells bad, may be needs a nice AC service and all should be back to normal. These cars are not just temperamental they are indeed machines with emotions! need to care equally for all the rides.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 14th July 2022, 09:44   #371
BHPian

Quote:
Yes! I do miss the DQ200, it is much faster than the DQ381-7A in the Kodiaq. But its a minor trade off, if the box doesn't learn my style, I will have to learn its style, my own "Control Unit" is much more flexible that way

Planing to keep it for some time until it finds a suitable second home. Have some work planned on the Octy, its already showing signs of being jealous given the presence of the Kodiaq. The AC has stopped cooling all of a sudden, need to get that checked, and the cabin generally just smells bad, may be needs a nice AC service and all should be back to normal. These cars are not just temperamental they are indeed machines with emotions! need to care equally for all the rides.
Reminds me of a similar incident with my Jetta. The day I'd picked up the 5, I'd left the Jetta back at my detailer's. Needed a claying session. Post that, when I'd gone to pickup the car, instrument cluster threw up an airbag warning light. Since the car had to go for a general service alongside other bits got that sorted alongside. Once the Jetta was back, I was using the Jetta extensively so 5 didn't see much usage in that week. When I'd started up the 5, it threw up a couple of tantrums which I managed to fix yesterday. Hoping the Jetta doesn't throw any tantrums now

The art of balancing is quite a task.
Varun_HexaGuy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th July 2022, 11:26   #372
Senior - BHPian

Probably my last post on this thread. ODO at 184956 kms

In a surprising turn of events, the AC decided to resurrect itself . Cooling is not bone chilling but adequate and car is now usable. I will pen down a few things worth mentioning till now on the car, but as I am using it lesser and lesser, with the Kodiaq already racking up the miles, I don't think I will be keeping the Octy for long.

I am seriously considering putting it up on the classifieds. But this thread itself is a history book of the car in itself, and I cannot mention anything unique on the classifieds except that it has almost new tyres! If anyone is interested, do let me know over PM and I will surely put it up on the classifieds.
  • Engine: It is in perfect shape. I have regularly replaced spark plugs at 30K kms, hence it still returns me a healthy 16 kmpl on the highways. Oil change services were done at 10K-12K intervals instead of regular 15K kms. Always used dealer-supplied engine oil, barring one or two times when I used Motul but the service itself was carried out at the dealership. The mounts are new hence zero vibrations, even lesser than my Kodiaq. The car has a bad habit of sipping oil, hence a 1 litre oil bottle in the boot is complimentary from my side. There is a new fuel pump in the car too.
  • Transmission: It is still one of the fastest boxes I have ever experienced in this segment, the shifts are still smooth, no weird noises, no jerks, have installed a new transmission mount as well hence there are no vibrations and movements. Given the mileage, it is safe to assume one would need to do a clutch pack overhaul sometime down the line, but it is easily doable at third-party performance stores that source original Luk clutch and flywheels. I had also changed the mechatronic oil sometime back.
  • Cooling system: As the thread is pretty much a service book, the issues with the cooling system were sorted timely and in the best way possible where most parts were replaced including the coolant tank, hoses, water pump, thermostat, oil cooler, etc. The Radiator and radiator fan are the most recent replacements and with that, the cooling system is as good as new! Still, a complimentary bottle of G12 EVO coolant is in the boot.
  • Suspension: I have pro-actively changed the front shock absorbers at 1 lakh kms, all the mounts and bushes that go in the suspension components have been replaced at least once, some twice. Suspension is in top-notch condition. It is only aided by the brilliant Yokohama BluEarth GT AE51 tyres. These tyres have only been driven for around 15K kms and only one year old. So have a lot of life left in them. All the BBS rims are damage free and still look dope. The only mod I have done to my car.
  • Interior: I do feel that the interior is starting to show its age, but heck its been 8.5 years. And for that, the interior looks much better than some 3-4 year old cars in my circle. The sole reason is I have never let anyone else clean the interior, its always done by me with the best of products and attention to detail. Electric seats, sunroof, lights, infotainment, and steering controls all work without any niggles. No rattles to speak of, besides the sunroof which is a common trait of the design of the sunroof. A quick open / close of the sunroof fixes the rattle for a few hours.
  • Bodywork: All of the body still has all its original panels. Yes, there have been a few nicks and scuffs here and there but I have always gotten it painted and corrected at the dealership. This would all be visible in the service history. The windshield is also original! Shocking for the mileage racked up.
  • The Drive: Oh the drive! it still drives so tight, nimble, fast, agile, exhilarating, any other adjectives I could use? I just love the way it drives and puts a smile on my face. Everyday.
Until next time, or till I bid adieu to the legend...

Last edited by vb-saan : 19th July 2022 at 12:14. Reason: As requested
adi_petrolhead is offline   (61) Thanks
Old 21st July 2022, 14:03   #373
BHPian

Quote:
Probably my last post on this thread. ODO at 184956 kms
Please make this your penultimate post and share some photos of your legend as the last post....hats off!
Shome is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st July 2022, 17:46   #374
BHPian

This is an amazing read even though I started reading the thread from 100k KM as I was curious about the long term maintenance of a your Octavia TSI. This thread is definitely Octavia TSI bible -- this is something already mentioned by someone on this thread earlier. You have been scrupulous regarding your Octavia TSI.

It is without a doubt that a car whether 100k km past or post 10 years --which ever comes first-- is bound to incur expenses however when its comes to VW and Skoda or for that matter Germans: They unexpectedly throw surprises which one needs to bear in mind. However, unless someone goes through that journey and sets forth in detail the whole of the experience , how would others know about the same?. This is where credit is due to you. The vehicle in question is the Octavia TSI, the carmaker has the notoriety! However, its users like you who inadvertently dispel this notoriety in the car maker via your experience that you have set forth in detail for one of their offerings. Your experience can instill confidence in those who may take a chance with this car. This is actually a flag-bearer thread as it informs the current and would be users of the same product 'what they need to keep in mind?', 'what kind of expenses they may incur?' and more importantly 'If they want, they can proceed with long term ownership of this product'. This is the kind of belief has been instilled by your thread.
ritedhawan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th August 2022, 09:27   #375
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Here after a long time, to wish you all the best in your search of a new car.
This thread is one of the reason why my interest went towards Octavia (back in 2017) and now I am happily crunching miles with "O" standing strong at 60,000 KMs...
shahbaz63 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks