Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2016, 22:36   #151
BHPian

Re: My 2014 Toyota Corolla Altis VL S-CVTi: A Detailed Review

Two little updates

Fuel efficiency has been on the rise for the last few months.. Now somewhat steady on this:
My 2014 Toyota Corolla Altis VL S-CVTi: A Detailed Review-imag1778.jpg

I noticed a few months ago that the leather on the steering wheel had begun to chip off. If the car was 15 years old, this would just be another thing. But on a 1.5 year old Corolla? Unexpected, to say the least..
Anyway, got a leather (or faux leather, not sure) cover stitched on the wheel. It's not one of those hard, standard size steering covers you oft see being sold at traffic signals. This one's rather high quality and foam lined on the inside. It has to be wrapped on to the wheel and then stitched. Interesting to see the work-in-progress! I'm sorry I forgot to click pictures of the leather chipping off. Take a look at the post-makeover wheel though. I think it looks rather nice..
My 2014 Toyota Corolla Altis VL S-CVTi: A Detailed Review-imag1784.jpg
Yeah, I'm wearing red pants. Don't judge, those are my tracks!
Severus is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th July 2016, 22:53   #152
BHPian

Damn good review Severus !!!
After driving Skoda Laura Diesel MT for about 4and odd years, I am looking for replacement and I was looking at this car and a good review. Yours is very detailed and informative.
Just few doubts
1. I have heard that Toyota's AC is quite efficient. Definitely my Laura's AC was weak. Summer where I live is very hot and humid. So a Good AC is must for me. I know there are no rear AC vents but - how good is AC in cooling entire space quickly? and also how much does AC affect the engine power and mileage ? My AC is nearly always on.
dezrskb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2016, 00:16   #153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezrskb View Post
After driving Skoda Laura Diesel MT for about 4and odd years, I am looking for replacement and I was looking at this car and a good review. Yours is very detailed and informative.
Just few doubts
1. I have heard that Toyota's AC is quite efficient. Definitely my Laura's AC was weak. Summer where I live is very hot and humid. So a Good AC is must for me. I know there are no rear AC vents but - how good is AC in cooling entire space quickly? and also how much does AC affect the engine power and mileage ? My AC is nearly always on.
The AC on the Altis is insanely good. I can bet my life that its the most efficient unit you will find. My dad was so happy with the AC in my car that he went and bought himself an Altis.
Old 26th July 2016, 12:34   #154
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It is an absolute chiller. The temperature in my car is usually set at 24-25 degrees and still the cabin feels cold. Everyone who sits in the car vouches for the effectiveness of the AC including the rear seat passengers and more often than not I have to decrease the airflow or increase the temperature to keep things under control.

Modern cars have negligible effect on the engine power with use of AC.
Old 31st July 2016, 18:01   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Just few doubts
I'll reiterate - A/C is a chiller!
Regarding the effect on engine, to be honest I haven't noticed any drop in power. As drmohitg puts it, effect of A/C on engine in modern cars is negligible. Especially in the higher segments.

As you are replacing Laura diesel, am I correct in assuming that you are looking at Corolla diesel? I haven't driven the diesel version but its performance is supposed to be very dull.
Old 2nd August 2016, 23:19   #156
BHPian

Hi Is there a news if a Corolla 50th anniversary edition. Am looking to buy an Altis (after a Honda civic for 9 years). Max discount that I have negotiated is Rs 50K. Also I prefer manual to AT, any specific observations on which is better MT or AT.
Old 5th August 2016, 22:13   #157
BHPian

Hi Krishtk
I test drove an Altis couple of days back 1.4L Diesel MT. When you say you prefer manual to AT, I think you can avoid 1.4L Diesel MT as car feels sluggish to accelerate. Also Toyota itself seems to be discouraging prospective buyers of diesel MT Altis as they have deprived car from few other bells and whistles like navigation too and no choice of AT even if you want it. Even the sales person himself wasn't interested in selling it. Petrol version is 1.8L with top end getting CVT-i gearbox with paddles !!. Also I think navigation is built in. And there are rumours that there is a facelift coming up next year as I think facelifted version is already launched abroad. just do some research before committing on this
dezrskb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2016, 23:03   #158
BHPian

Hi dezrskb

Thank you for the inputs the diesel is not an option. Looking at Corolla to replace my 9 year old Civic. Prefer Japanese cars for reliability. This segment is comfortable and hassle free to drive and on ownership. My learning is waiting has led to price increase.

In the past year Corolla has gone up by Rs 90 K. Knowing Indian fascination for the Jap cars, discounts will not be there. They are even today selling rubber car mats and mud flaps at Rs 3-4K for Rs 18 Lakh car. Just trying to drive bargain since its 2 year old model. Checked some of the premium German brands for upgrade....but the running costs and wear and tear...are not in radar for now. Any inputs are welcome..especially on driving a better bargain from the dealership
Old 6th August 2016, 10:15   #159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishtk View Post
. Any inputs are welcome
First of all don't type like .. It will get you a post from the mods. Secondly Corolla is getting updated next year if you can wait I think 6 airbags are coming in, then gst should reduce car prices. Currently I know a 60-80 k discount is there on the Corolla depending on your bargaining capability.

You can go to Shinrai Toyota at Worli.
M00M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2016, 17:34   #160
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for the inputs the diesel is not an option. Looking at Corolla to replace my 9 year old Civic. Prefer Japanese cars for reliability. Any inputs are welcome..especially on driving a better bargain from the dealership
Did you check the Hyundai Elantra? I think that is an excellent alternative. Also has good discounts too since a new one is coming soon.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2016, 18:03   #161
Senior - BHPian

the new corolla when viewed upfront has somewhat the looks of an slightly bigger etios. And does not get the respect it deserves from the rickshawallah and sundry dregs of the roads. Viewing it side on or rear three quarters is the best viewing angle and gives justice to this car. It's a total all-in-all paisa vasool car though. The rear seats are wide, and give good support and the engine is quite powerful for day-to-day driving in it's petrol avatar.
lurker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2016, 01:25   #162
BHPian

Corolla altis preferred over the Elantra, though today all cars are very well made, I visited the Hyundai showroom and not much info coming out, the dealer was not helpful. Had similar experience with Skoda when I bought the Civic. If the sales effort is an apology l have doubts over service. The Japanese build better cars so there is less reliance on service centres.
Old 7th August 2016, 09:33   #163
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Corolla altis preferred over the Elantra, though today all cars are very well made, I visited the Hyundai showroom and not much info coming out, the dealer was not helpful. Had similar experience with Skoda when I bought the Civic. If the sales effort is an apology l have doubts over service. The Japanese build better cars so there is less reliance on service centres.
Take a look at these links:

http://www.team-bhp.com/news/2016-hy...ngs-open-india

http://auto.ndtv.com/news/2017-hyund...from=home-auto

It seems they have started taking bookings for the new model. Talks of good discounts on the outgoing model have already been doing the rounds on the forum elsewhere. Hyundai is no Skoda and if you have ruled Elantra out only on basis of dealer experience, then I think you are making a mistake.

Last edited by drmohitg : 7th August 2016 at 09:34.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2016, 21:01   #164
Senior - BHPian

Just stumbled upon this thread when I was trying to assess what are the petrol sedan options between 10 and 20 lakhs. I loved the City performance but the interiors were a let down. The 1.4 TSI Jetta does not have enough power. The Octavia was too large for my taste.

The new Corolla is one of the most underrated cars in that segment. The 1.8 litre engine which may not be a comparison to the brilliant 1.8 TSI but definitely is very capable. It has much more space than the City but is not all that much more bigger. I just love the current design and the interiors look very nice too. All in all a very good package for someone looking at a petrol in this bracket. The resale price and the Toyota service are just heavenly icing on what is a very delicious cake.

Drive on,
Shibu.
shibujp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2016, 19:44   #165
BHPian

Hi Guys-

We were planning to get the Corolla Altis this month. We have decided not to wait for the facelifted version to be launched in 2017 - since there don't seem to be significant upgrades (and the newer version would likely cost higher).

We were debating between the petrol: 1.8GL (top model manual) and 1.8 VL (top model automatic). Could anyone please comment on the performance of the manual vs Automatic.

Does the petrol CVTi in the auto feel sluggish compared to the manual? Also is the real world fuel economy of the CVT auto version less than the manual?

Any suggestions or recommendations would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks