Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2016, 06:40   #166
BHPian

Re: My 2014 Toyota Corolla Altis VL S-CVTi: A Detailed Review

I bought the 1.8 G AT (not the top automatic, but 2 lakhs cheaper) a year ago and have driven about 5000 km since then. The driving experience with the automatic had been superb - there is no sluggishness and I routinely get a mileage of 10.5 km / litre with the AC on. Go for the automatic - you won't regret the decision.
tarunp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2016, 07:13   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjimmy View Post
We were debating between the petrol: 1.8GL (top model manual) and 1.8 VL (top model automatic). Could anyone please comment on the performance of the manual vs Automatic.

Any suggestions or recommendations would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
I bought a used petrol Altis a week back. It's a top end manual. It would be too early for me to comment on its performance, leave alone its comparison with an automatic. But I'd suggest that you go for a manual, for, from what I know, the manual's fuel economy is substantially greater than the automatic.
Old 7th November 2016, 20:53   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarunp View Post
I bought the 1.8 G AT (not the top automatic, but 2 lakhs cheaper) a year ago and have driven about 5000 km since then. The driving experience with the automatic had been superb - there is no sluggishness and I routinely get a mileage of 10.5 km / litre with the AC on. Go for the automatic - you won't regret the decision.
Thanks for your response. I've always heard good things about the automatic. The top end VL model has a waiting period, so we were leaning a little towards GL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swapnil4585 View Post
I bought a used petrol Altis a week back. It's a top end manual. It would be too early for me to comment on its performance, leave alone its comparison with an automatic. But I'd suggest that you go for a manual, for, from what I know, the manual's fuel economy is substantially greater than the automatic.
Thanks for the feedback. That does make sense, since the manual usually has higher fuel efficiency than automatic on Indian roads given the driving conditions.

We are most likely going to get the GL manual model, since there is no waiting for it.

Please do update on your experience with the manual variant. Most of the reviews here seem to have been for the automatic.
Old 19th November 2016, 07:47   #169
BHPian

I am looking to buy a new petrol automatic top end (VL) Corolla Altis. I live in Bangalore.

What should the on-road price I should negotiate for (dealer's price sheet says 23.5L)?

I would like to negotiate hard, citing availability of the cheaper Elantra and the slightly more expensive Tucson, both of which have been launched now.

Pls let me know what is the on-road price I should negotiate towards after all discounts, for the Corolla petrol VL variant (petrol, automatic, top end) in Bangalore.

Also, *realistically* speaking (not ARAI test conditions), how much FE does the Corolla VL actually give on city and highway (petrol automatic)?

OT:
I would have gone for the cheaper Elantra, but for the fact that Elantra has a needlessly bigger engine for my liking and therefore will likely entail worse FE, and also has a worse GC/WB (ground clearance/wheel base) thereby more susceptible to scrapes.

The Tucson is beyond my budget.
Old 23rd November 2016, 13:45   #170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severus View Post
Hello fellow TBHPians. This is my first post, so kindly condone any mistakes. Feedback from mods and members is very welcome. ...
I am considering the Toyota Corolla petrol, either the top end automatic (VL AT), or a manual if it comes with cruise control when the next facelift comes in H1 2017.

I TD'ed the 2016 VL AT variant last week.

Question for the present model: Isn't the driver's right armrest (the one on the door) a bit too low? I had to almost lean on it for it to be of use. And the left armrest not being slideable, is a real bummer. It kind of renders the armrest useless, if youre used to resting your left arm there and touching the gear lever all the time (even though on an AT you wouldnt need to, but still)
Old 27th November 2016, 20:56   #171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
I am looking to buy a new petrol automatic top end (VL) Corolla Altis. I live in Bangalore.

Also, *realistically* speaking (not ARAI test conditions), how much FE does the Corolla VL actually give on city and highway (petrol automatic)?
As my use is only within the city, I can give the following figures for city use. In summers, it's around 9.5 kmpl. In winters, it climbs up to about 10 kmpl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
I am considering the Toyota Corolla petrol, either the top end automatic (VL AT), or a manual if it comes with cruise control when the next facelift comes in H1 2017.

I TD'ed the 2016 VL AT variant last week.

Question for the present model: Isn't the driver's right armrest (the one on the door) a bit too low? I had to almost lean on it for it to be of use. And the left armrest not being slideable, is a real bummer. It kind of renders the armrest useless, if youre used to resting your left arm there and touching the gear lever all the time (even though on an AT you wouldnt need to, but still)
Manual with cruise control? Never heard of that combo..

I'm a big proponent of Automatics. There's a small drop in FE, but the benefits far outweigh this loss. Would advise you and anyone else to go for Automatic versions. If budget allows, of course.

You're completely right about the armrests. They don't serve their purpose very well because of unergonomic placement.
Old 23rd April 2018, 13:14   #172
BHPian

Hi ,

This is to share my little experience with my newly owned pre -owned 2014 Altis G (AT) which is now little over 1 month old.

I have driven it around 1000 kms on Mumbai - Pune on highway till date. It has 25,000 kms on odo. The tyres are 3 years old but Toyota has certified them and confirmed that they can easily go for 10K kms more. Wheel alignment is done recently by Toyota service.

My concern is that I don't find it planted and stable at speeds like 120 kms / hr. Even smaller cars like maruti brezza , dezire , ford fiesta , grand i10 can do that comfortably.

So the question is - is there something that needs to be done with my car or is Altis that way only. Your comment will be highly appreciated.

regards
Amol
amolathalye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2018, 14:53   #173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amolathalye View Post
So the question is - is there something that needs to be done with my car or is Altis that way only. Your comment will be highly appreciated.
Congratulations for picking up one of the most trust worthy sedan. She will serve you really very well provided you give her proper maintenance.

Corolla altis is an capable mile muncher. Though her stability and road dynamics aren’t close to german rivals, she is stable on highway. For the stabilty issue, I would sugget you to recheck the following;

• Tyre pressure. Dealers generally overfill tires as cars are parked for long time. Also check for tire bulges(if any).
  • Get the wheel alignment and balancing done from reputed tyre store.
  • Check your alloy wheels for any damage. Even if they are slightly damaged, they won’t give you stable ride.
  • Check suspension components. Its unlikely given toyota’s longevity and your car just has 25k kms on odo but, get it checked.
  • Check your rotors and brake pads(Highly likely). If necessary get the rotors unwarped and get the pads changed.

Last edited by ShubhamGhute : 23rd April 2018 at 14:57.
ShubhamGhute is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2018, 17:05   #174
BHPian

Thanks Shubham , I will get all that done as per your suggestions !

regards
Amol
Old 23rd April 2018, 17:31   #175
BHPian

Quote:
.............my newly owned pre -owned 2014 Altis G (AT) which is now little over 1 month old.....
Hi Amol,

Just curious to know, how much did you pay for this Car? What was the on-road for a new one in the same year (2014)?

Regards,
Sunil
Old 24th May 2018, 11:46   #176
BHPian

Hi ,

I have recently bought Altis AT . I have done little more than 1000 kms on highway till date since last 2 months. Recently I traveled from Mumbai - pune . During this drive I tried the paddle shifters. They worked well but somehow I could not figure out how to disengage them and get back to normal "D" mode , I observed that if you leave it just like that for some time like then it automatically goes back to "D" mode on it's own. Is this how it's supposed to work. I would like to know if anyone knows how to get back to "D" mode as and when required.
Old 24th May 2018, 14:59   #177
BHPian

Hi Amol,

Replied to your DM. But posting here too for benefit of all.

Using any of the paddles in 'D' mode will engage the paddleshift mode for a temporary period of time. That is why, if you don't use a paddle for some time, the paddleshift mode disengages on its own. But it takes some time to so disengage. If you would like to disengage it immediately, you will have to keep one of the paddles pulled for 1-2 seconds (+ or -, I don't remember which one), and it will disengage right away.

Also, the proper way to use the paddleshifts is in 'M' mode. That way it will not disengage on its own. But that also means that it cannot be disengaged at all, not even by doing the pull method.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Severus

Quote:
Hi ,

I have recently bought Altis AT . I have done little more than 1000 kms on highway till date since last 2 months. Recently I traveled from Mumbai - pune . During this drive I tried the paddle shifters. They worked well but somehow I could not figure out how to disengage them and get back to normal "D" mode , I observed that if you leave it just like that for some time like then it automatically goes back to "D" mode on it's own. Is this how it's supposed to work. I would like to know if anyone knows how to get back to "D" mode as and when required.
Severus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2018, 23:07   #178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severus View Post
Hi Amol,

Replied to your DM. But posting here too for benefit of all.

Using any of the paddles in 'D' mode will engage the paddleshift mode for a temporary period of time. That is why, if you don't use a paddle for some time, the paddleshift mode disengages on its own. But it takes some time to so disengage. If you would like to disengage it immediately, you will have to keep one of the paddles pulled for 1-2 seconds (+ or -, I don't remember which one), and it will disengage right away.

Also, the proper way to use the paddleshifts is in 'M' mode. That way it will not disengage on its own. But that also means that it cannot be disengaged at all, not even by doing the pull method.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Severus
Dear Severus (love your screen name - any HP fan would),

How has been your car doing? You're thread seems to be the de-facto Altis thread of T-BHP.

I wanted to take your opinion on Altis - I am letting go of my Honda City this month any heavily inclined to buy Altis Petrol VL Auto.

I do like the car overall though the interiors of all other Toyota's are now much better equipped thank this. The second fly is the new Gen to be launched sometime next year - probably April or May.

What do you think how to go about this-may be look for Elantra which is running a completely new Gen? Or still go with the current Altis?
we_pull is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2019, 12:52   #179
BHPian

Hi Friends ,

I have noticed one niggle in my Altis CVT 2015 Petrol. The dashboard reflection on the windshield is too annoying during noon times when Sun is right on your head. It's sometimes so bad that it blinds vision of some portion. Any idea how to tackle this ?
Old 1st July 2019, 12:25   #180
Senior - BHPian

This seem to be the only thread in team-bhp on Corolla altis 2014 onwards. I wanted to know if anyone has a soft copy of the owners manual ? I could find some manuals which match some aspects but it would be great if I can source an India spec manual.
rajshenoy is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks