Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2022, 14:51   #121

Re: Good things come in small packages - Our Hyundai Xcent SX(O) AT a.k.a Delicate Darling!

Having driven an Xcent 2014 SX(O) for 110k kms myself , I agree that the car is not perfect. I have had Cooling coil leaks, Clutch wearing out and a few other issues myself. Yes, the service costs have gone up over the years. But I think this is true for all brands except Ford, Toyota and maybe Honda.
Also, I have not seen a perfect car with the perfect ownership experience. Hence I still continue to love my car in spite of the issues that I have faced.

Having said that, what has happened to you is bizarre and cannot be justified by anyone. No-one should ever go through such an ordeal. Hyundai should get their act together and work on such cases.

I hope your case is looked at by Hyundai higher-ups and they make necessary changes in their processes so that it doesn't happen to anyone again.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 10th June 2022 at 22:38. Reason: typos
Old 10th June 2022, 20:28   #122
BHPian

Re: Good things come in small packages - Our Hyundai Xcent SX(O) AT a.k.a Delicate Darling!

VW Polo TSI 21 days and counting.
Old 10th June 2022, 22:32   #123
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketscience View Post
Your ownership experience has been extremely sad and tedious and you clearly have had to go through a lot, is this a one off case of this particular unit being lemon or is this the new norm with the i10 and its derivatives?
Not a very one-off case considering the various examples on this thread.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post5333790 (Hyundai India - The occasional serious quality lapse and apathetic manufacturer response!)

Even the ECM issue wasn't a one-off case. There was another car in the workshop during the same time. That said, still is a pleasure to own for certain use cases and shorter ownership periods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashenoy View Post
I too own a white 2015 Xcent SX(O) AT and my experience with Hyundai service in recent years has been similar. Routine service costs are high at around Rs 7 - 8k and replacement part take forever to arrive. At the moment the car is awaiting replacement of a part for the rear door for 3 weeks now. No sign of the part showing up yet.
Shocking how they don't have spares even at the Chennai hub. Especially for a car like this that sold well even for the taxi segment.

Haven't faced delays like this with even a brand like FIAT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 View Post
Almost everyone who has owned hyundai cars has faced issues around the steering rack, cooling coil, clutch and brake cylinders.etc. These are common across all models. Right from the santro to the Tucson. Unfortunately, the owners of these cars are made to beleive that it's an issue specific to their car.
Interestingly, a friend sold off his Creta due to issues and downgraded to a Venue. Hyundai has built a solid reputation with their earlier models that model are willing to give them a second chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by micky View Post
Having driven an Xcent 2014 SX(O) for 110k kms myself , I agree that the car is not perfect. I have had Cooling coil leaks, Clutch wearing out and a few other issues myself. Yes, the service costs have gone up over the years. But I think this is true for all brands except Ford, Toyota and maybe Honda.
Nice to know you are having a good experience. Would you stick to Hyundai for a future purchase?

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbardhan View Post
VW Polo TSI 21 days and counting.
Oops! Sorry. What's the issue?
Old 11th June 2022, 00:02   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

Nice to know you are having a good experience. Would you stick to Hyundai for a future purchase?
Don’t really mind another Hyundai. Would be a product decision for me rather than a brand. Any brand is okay.

All cars/brands have their set of positives and negatives. My brother’s VW ameo 1.5TDI is super fun to drive but has spent many more days in the service centre than my Xcent (inspite of having covered half the number of kms).

We decided to go the Toyota way for my dad with the Corolla Altis in 2016 however it has had its own issues as well. Nothing mechanical but things like power windows failing multiple times, touch screen issues etc. Its soft suspension makes it crash over speed breakers when the car is fully loaded.

I have concluded that one will never have a perfect car. We will have to live with a few niggles here and there.
micky is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2022, 01:53   #125
Senior - BHPian

I sincerely hope that after all this, the next Hyundai review on tbhp is not going to repeat this line
"Hyundai's competent after-sales service & wide dealer network"
greenhorn is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 11th June 2022, 07:48   #126
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

That said - the issue was with Hyundai more than the service centre itself. The A.S.S and the SA in particular have been very helpful and responsive.

In fact, when we bought the car - it was almost like made to order for our requirements and still continues to be so, except for the reliability aspect.

All said and done - No more Hyundai/Kia long-term ownership for me. There are cars which are a delight to own for the short term, but end up being a pain afterwards - and unfortunately, that summarises my Hyundai experience. Best to sell these off when the warranty period expires.
You have echoed my exact thoughts here. The issues I had was with Hyundai and the service center did everything they could when the ABS senor failed in my Creta.

For me, Creta is just perfect with it's right size and space and that brilliant diesel engine. It's the engine that's holding me on to the car. And it handles pretty well for a compact suv. Definitely not the typical Hyundais. The rising cost and electronics failing - a cause for concern. The last is the AVN failing - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-...ml#post5327244 (It came, I saw, We conquered - Our Hyundai Creta 1.6 Diesel SX(O))

I guess Toyota is the only brand that's best for long term.
naveen.raju is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2022, 09:17   #127
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by micky View Post
Don’t really mind another Hyundai. Would be a product decision for me rather than a brand. Any brand is okay.

I have concluded that one will never have a perfect car. We will have to live with a few niggles here and there.
Absolutely! Same thoughts here.

Thats the reason I totally skipped Hyundai/Kia during my last purchase though - despite the diesel automatic being a perfect match for my requirements. Spending 22L and having safety worse than many entry levels cars was a sad product decision for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
I sincerely hope that after all this, the next Hyundai review on tbhp is not going to repeat this line
"Hyundai's competent after-sales service & wide dealer network"
Sure hope so too with the ownership complaints on this thread - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post5333790 (Hyundai India - The occasional serious quality lapse and apathetic manufacturer response!)

However, like I mentioned earlier - public opinion is still in favour of Hyundai thanks to their original products that built a good reputation. I suggested XUV 3OO and Nexon to someone recently and they asked if the choices are as reliable as the equivalent Hyundai in the segment. And this is a person who sold his Hyundai due to issues, considered it a one-off and ended up with another one. That's the brand reputation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
For me, Creta is just perfect with it's right size and space and that brilliant diesel engine. It's the engine that's holding me on to the car. And it handles pretty well for a compact suv. Definitely not the typical Hyundais.
Agreed. In fact, would be a very tough upgrade decision too! Was following your thread and saw the AVN issue. Resolved?
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2022, 18:47   #128
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Agreed. In fact, would be a very tough upgrade decision too! Was following your thread and saw the AVN issue. Resolved?
As usual, the service center didn't even show the interest in diagnosing the issue. Blindly told me it's better to go for a new head unit rather then "try" and repair it. Since the new one cost more than 35k and that without Android Auto, I was remotely interested.

Gave it to a shop in Delhi and got it repaired for 5k (Burnt IC and display replaced).
naveen.raju is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2022, 08:48   #129
Distinguished - BHPian

Another important thing is that Hyundai has multiple variants of the sub parts. For example struts, multiple types for the same model/variant during a production batch. This makes it very difficult to source the right part too. No wonder some parts are not available at their main warehouse in Chennai too.

Steering rack is another part which commonly conks of, especially in the i10s and i20s. The service centers make huge amounts of money on parts and labour for these said repetitive repairs.
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2022, 16:18   #130
Team-BHP Support

Battery failed without much of a warning, resulting in parents getting locked out of the car when I was on business travel.

Got it changed with RSA.

Good things come in small packages - Our Hyundai Xcent SX(O) AT a.k.a Delicate Darling!-screenshot-20220723-4.15.09-pm.png

Good things come in small packages - Our Hyundai Xcent SX(O) AT a.k.a Delicate Darling!-xcent.png
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2022, 19:30   #131

Very unfortunate experience overall. I'm dealing with a similar car these days and the regular Hyundai symptoms (steering rack, A/C) are all present.

One thing to note regarding your 'running costs' chart though, it doesn't make a lot of sense to add battery and tyre expenditures to the costs/km, unless the car itself caused their premature wearing.

Thanks
Old 30th August 2022, 17:26   #132
Team-BHP Support

From the last few months - this thread hasn't seen many positive reports. Every time i post, there would be a new complaint to report.

And the trend still continues - noticed the left side power window switch has given up. Once again, a very common complaint from BHPians that points to the long-term delicate nature of Hyundai cars. Added to my queue as well!

That said - with all the negativity, this post has a positive note. Two weeks back I reviewed the Alto K10 AMT which retails for a similar amount now in Kerala as what i paid for this top-end Xcent back then! Inflation is just a mess right now, making any unnecessary change seem like a huge waste of money. Hence decided to go in for a much needed mid-life refresh.

The Mid-life refresh

As reported in the previous page, the interior was in a horrible state after spending more than two months at the service center.

Before -

Interior cleaning was desperately needed. Along with it - added steam cleaning of trims and engine bay, along with exterior rubbing and basic polishing.

Choice of detailing center was the Detailing Mafia, Trivandrum - since i had good experiences with them for detailing the Compass as well as Aerox.

Some pictures -

Good things come in small packages - Our Hyundai Xcent SX(O) AT a.k.a Delicate Darling!-img_20220829_231746_517.jpg

Good things come in small packages - Our Hyundai Xcent SX(O) AT a.k.a Delicate Darling!-20220830_144711.jpg

Good things come in small packages - Our Hyundai Xcent SX(O) AT a.k.a Delicate Darling!-20220830_144815.jpg

Good things come in small packages - Our Hyundai Xcent SX(O) AT a.k.a Delicate Darling!-20220830_144929.jpg

Good things come in small packages - Our Hyundai Xcent SX(O) AT a.k.a Delicate Darling!-20220830_145025.jpg

Good things come in small packages - Our Hyundai Xcent SX(O) AT a.k.a Delicate Darling!-20220830_145115.jpg

Good things come in small packages - Our Hyundai Xcent SX(O) AT a.k.a Delicate Darling!-20220830_140047.jpg

Good things come in small packages - Our Hyundai Xcent SX(O) AT a.k.a Delicate Darling!-20220830_141036.jpg

Did not opt for bumper repainting. Family doesnt have as much confidence in Hyundai's long-term reliability and wasnt keen on spending more. Will see later if it can manage a few months of trouble free running.

Now back to watching out for that failed catcon throwing CEL warning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorori47 View Post
Very unfortunate experience overall. I'm dealing with a similar car these days and the regular Hyundai symptoms (steering rack, A/C) are all present.

One thing to note regarding your 'running costs' chart though, it doesn't make a lot of sense to add battery and tyre expenditures to the costs/km, unless the car itself caused their premature wearing.

Thanks
You're right. The service costs sheet wasn't originally started as a complaint sheet originally, and I have been maintaining it for all my vehicles - Punto for 10 years, Versys for 5 etc. The point (especially for rarer vehicles like the Versys) was to give an overall picture of ownership to those who are looking for it. Just that this thread ended up with a lot many complaints and rants.

For now - I have postponed the Catcon replacement till the time the check engine light warning pops up again. So sounds far lesser than I initially anticipated where it would end up.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th August 2022, 21:35   #133
Team-BHP Support

Adding a couple of 'before-after' stories created with help from Insta -

Good things come in small packages - Our Hyundai Xcent SX(O) AT a.k.a Delicate Darling!-img_20220830_190118_766.jpg

Good things come in small packages - Our Hyundai Xcent SX(O) AT a.k.a Delicate Darling!-img_20220830_190306_630.jpg

Disclaimer: I'm not linked with Detailing Mafia in any way except for using their services.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th September 2022, 17:22   #134
BHPian

Heard from my dad today that his 2010 i10 AT is also at the workshop. Two weeks back when he started it and slotted the gear into D, the car started jerking and there was no pickup. It was taken to the HASS immediately and they mentioned that the transmission is stuck in 3rd and ECU seems to be the culprit. The new part (The picture sent showed the ECU as made by Kefico) was quoted to be north of 49k. At first it was mentioned that they'll try to get it fixed and "apparently" after 3 attempts, they have now given up.

Shelling out 20% of the value for a part especially for a retiree doesn't seem like a wise decision. He was planning on selling the car soon anyway. Are there any other solutions which I can ask him to pursue? Car resides in Mangalore and I was thinking probably there might be someone in Bangalore with better expertise with this. Or probably some place where I can find a used ECU? Few posts on TBHP with similar issues have sorted it out with help from people but only up north (Mumbai or Delhi). Searched on google and came up with Zilch. Any suggestions would be highly appreciated!
Old 17th September 2022, 08:18   #135
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL_FWD View Post
The new part (The picture sent showed the ECU as made by Kefico) was quoted to be north of 49k.
ECM on the Xcent cost 22k though my initial estimate given was also around 40k.

Have they confirmed this to be the actual price?

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 17th September 2022 at 08:23.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks