Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2022, 11:08   #301
BHPian

Re: Hyundai India - The occasional serious quality lapse and apathetic manufacturer response!

This is the type of common sense based judgement that sounds good to a layman customer but actually is not a scientific judgement.

It might be a revelation to some people including the bureaucrats at MoRTH but airbags actually will not deploy in cars during all crash conditions. The airbags are designed to deploy only after certain loading (read deceleration and force) occurs on the vehicle or when impacted at a certain angle. In case, they are made more sensitive, you would have a possible case where airbags would deploy when you kick a car in frustration or a ball hits a stationary car etc. I know I am citing extreme conditions but my point is there are limitations to airbags' performance. This is not just true for Hyundai but even for high end Mercs and Audis.

If in doubt, one should read owner's manuals which actually make it sound that airbags are just for show. The OEMs actually indemnify themselves even for Regulatory test conditions that can occur in real world. The logic is crash performance is dependent on vehicle maintenance, past accident repair quality etc etc.

Hence all these 6 airbag laws while sounding good have holes in them. The BIW structure is, was and will always be the key. An active safety system which can prevent a crash would enhance safety more than the passive safety systems like airbags which operate conditionally. Hence I am a big believer in mandatory ADAS systems than airbags.
Sorry for the rant..
Carma2017 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2022, 11:40   #302
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Hyundai India - The occasional serious quality lapse and apathetic manufacturer response!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
I guess it’s time to add another quality issue for the 1st Gen Creta, this time being Power Window Motor Pre-mature Failure. From the official review looks like 2017 are the ones affected, mine included.
I am completely fed-up of this issue

Got 2 motors replaced under warranty during the last visit to the service centre (in September 2021), namely the co-passenger one and rear-right (behind the driver) one.

Got my warranty extended by paying 12k for the 5th year as well, just for this issue.

And now the driver-side window has decided to stop working, have to face embarrassment at every mall parking lot/airport run by opening the door and taking the slip, paying money and wait for the exact change to be tendered.

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 23rd April 2022 at 11:44.
CEF_Beasts is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2022, 12:00   #303
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
And now the driver-side window has decided to stop working, have to face embarrassment at every mall parking lot/airport run by opening the door and taking the slip, paying money and wait for the exact change to be tendered.
Try giving the door card a firm whack while pressing the switch. Hope the battery is in good condition.
Kosfactor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2022, 07:59   #304
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am completely fed-up of this issue

Got 2 motors replaced under warranty during the last visit to the service centre (in September 2021), namely the co-passenger one and rear-right (behind the driver) one.

Got my warranty extended by paying 12k for the 5th year as well, just for this issue.

My rear windows have stopped working for quite sometime now and the front passenger side occasionally stops. Had gone to a FNG last year and they opened the door pads, applied lubricants which made all four windows work again. Since 99% of the time I don't use the rear windows, that stopped working in few months. The workshop dude also asked me to occasionally use these windows.
naveen.raju is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th May 2022, 09:00   #305
Team-BHP Support

Updated the below long-term comments in my ownership report and thought this is relevant here as well.

There are cars which are a delight to own for the short term, but end up being a pain afterwards - and unfortunately, that summarises my Hyundai experience.

Tech and gizmos get outdated pretty past and what we are left with - is a car with compromised mechanicals underneath - be it in terms of engineering, safety, quality or reliability.

Quote:
What I don't:

• (Long-term update) Poor crash safety. Hyundai later had a pathetic show at Global NCAP safety tests.
• (Long-term update) Unreliable over the long term. Multiple breakdowns with month-long repair times, frequent ABS sensor failures, etc.

• (Long-term update) Poor mechanical quality - Failure of parts like crankshaft bolt, ECM, catcon, known issue of a weak a/c that requires regular maintenance, etc point towards rampant cost-cutting in build quality adopted by Hyundai.

• (Long-term update) Comparatively high cost of maintenance. Dealerships inflate bills with unnecessary add-ons.
• (Long-term update) Dealership reach is good and treats you well. But actual service quality is poor.

• (Long-term update) Poor express-way manners: Front suspension crashes into larger potholes at highway speed with a loud thud! The soft rear bounces around at expressway speeds.
• (Long-term update) Poor FE: Average of 9.3 km/L (Max- 10.07, Lowest - 8.38 as per tankful calculations).
All the entry level options have moved on to cheap AMT, and an upgrade doesn't make sense with our current limited usage. Hence - will live with this Hyundai for longer till EV options become main mainstream.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 18th May 2022 at 09:24.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 24th May 2022, 16:06   #306
BHPian

There was an individual thread (Reliability issues with my Hyundai Santro AMT) on Hyundai Santro's issues with its AMT gearbox . I think that I should keep a summary of that discussion here, so that the information is available at one single place. This might also be of help for owners of some other cars which uses the same gearbox, like Grand i10 Nios and Aura too.

The problem:

There was an infrequent issue where the gear did not shift from N to R or D. But whenever the issue occurred, it usually got rectified after about 10-15 minutes of trying, sometimes more. The problem was of a serious kind, as it rendered the car immobile. Quoting below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BhaskarG View Post

...And now the car refused to go into Drive mode from R. Whatever I do, the car remained at N for a good 40 minutes. It was almost midnight and I was stranded in the middle of the road. Fortunately, it slotted into D after 40 minutes and I could drive back home.
Visited Hyundai Workshop next day and they could not diagnose anything in their system diagnostic software.
Solution:

Bhpians correctly diagnosed, and offered very sensible solutions to the problem. Mostly, it was agreed that it is a battery issue. Quotes:

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post
... AMT's are very sensitive to voltage drops and even a minor drop in voltage will lead to all sorts of complications as the actuators do not get sufficient voltage to "work". And the Hyundai AMT unit is an electrically operated unit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by varkey View Post
Something similar happened to my sister's Santro Sportz AMT (same 2019 model) as well.
Apparently the AMT is heavily dependent on the battery even while the car is running. If the battery is not able to handle the surge or voltage drops, it affects the AMT it seems. The battery was only 3 years old, vehicle was purchased in early 2019.
Diagnosis at the workshop:

There went a lot of trial and error troubleshooting for the AMT issue. The car was taken to different ASCs hoping for a better solution. However, no solid reason could be provided. However, almost all agreed to be a battery issue. Quoting:

Quote:
  • They checked for any sensor-actuator issues with their diagnostic tools. They actuated the actuators via software simulation, and it was a interesting thing to know for me. No issues detected.
  • They checked for error logs, and found one. I do not remember what the log was, but the manager told me that it was not related to the issue.
  • They lifted the car up and checked for mechanical issues (checked the gear oil, as far as I understood). Found OK.
  • They took apart connectors to sensors and actuators, cleaned them and reinstalled. They say that this should solve the problem. Let us see.
The final update:

The car is behaving fine now, but I found that whenever the shifts happens, it requires a good amount of power. Hence, there are some things to be noted while driving an electrically actuated AMT:
  1. Check battery health frequently.
  2. Do not drain the battery.

The following lines sums up my experience. I am not a technical person. Maybe someone from technical background can provide a better insight.

Quote:
The Hyundai's AMT unit is electrically actuated, against Tata and Maruti's hydraulic units. So the shifts are super fast. Now there is a downside to this. Whenever the shifts happens, it requires a good amount of power. And hence the battery needs to be in charged condition. What I found out is that whenever you drain out the batteries (like using the ICE without the engine running, keeping the lights on etc) there is a small probability of this (incomplete shifts) happening. It automatically corrects itself when batteries are sufficiently charged, that is, after keeping the engine on for sometime. This explains why this problem gets corrected after trying for 10 minutes or so. Service centre technicians were initially puzzled, but later they found that issue was with the battery only.

I even put this to test. Keep your headlights on, and try to shift from D to R and back to D. You will observe that your headlights will dim when the shift happens. (Maybe not if battery is brand new). So, my take home gyan from this incident is that if you drive AMT with electric actuators, DO NOT drain your battery.
Hope this helps all other owners out there. This is just a simple precaution that we need to take. Even if it happens, just we need to keep the engine on, and let the battery charge a bit.

Keep revving!

Last edited by BhaskarG : 24th May 2022 at 16:14.
BhaskarG is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 9th June 2022, 15:39   #307
BANNED

I didn't know this was a known issue, even my 2017 Creta's rear left power window stopped working randomly, there is no noise, nothing, it is just dead, I thought some fuse might be gone or something but haven't gotten myself to get it fixed yet. Will update when I do. I hope some lubricant or fuse can fix this issue, as my car is out of warranty and on the face of it, this doesn't look like a part which can fail. Touchwood apart from this and ORVM switch nothing else has given up.

Quote:

While it is good to have extended warranty but I just randomly checked on Boodmo and the motor assembly costs just around 2 to 3k depending upon the door, could be taken care of even outside warranty, provided it is not the switch, fuse or something minor at fault.

Last edited by Rocketscience : 9th June 2022 at 15:44.
Rocketscience is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th June 2022, 21:23   #308
Team-BHP Support

Got my car back from the service center after 69 days!!!

Was taken in with ECM failure and the catcon also needed replacement. While the ECM was replaced, the catcon wasn't because it was in backorder for a long time, only to be provided with a mismatch unit and now once again in backorder. Full details here - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-...ml#post5333771 (Good things come in small packages - Our Hyundai Xcent SX(O) AT a.k.a Delicate Darling!)

Looks like the title I wrote in 2020 - 'apathetic manufacturer response' is still quite apt in 2022.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th June 2022, 21:36   #309

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketscience View Post
I didn't know this was a known issue, even my 2017 Creta's rear left power window stopped working randomly, there is no noise, nothing, it is just dead, I thought some fuse might be gone or something but haven't gotten myself to get it fixed yet.
It is probably the motor( the brushes specifically) which is damaged. Take it to a FNG and ask them to repair it. I have faced similar issues on my 2015 Creta through the years. At some point or the other, each power window had stopped working. Initially, i had them repaired from Hyundai A.S.S, where they claimed to change the motors or regulator assembly and it costed 2k-3k each time.
However, the power windows would again die after a few weeks/months. I remember once that i had barely travelled 2-3 kms after leaving the A.S.S and the power window which they had just claimed to replace, stopped working.

I must have spent nearly 15k over 5-6 years until i finally gave up in the end and took it to a FNG. While working on it, the mechanic told me that none of the window assemblies have been ever opened and they were still in mint factory condition.
He repaired the two rear window motors, checked & lubricated the front two ones, oiled the assembly which holds the glass panel and charged me only 2200 for the entire work. It has been nearly 1.5 years and none of the power windows have stopped working even once.
iSubham is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 14th June 2022, 11:13   #310
BHPian

I'm probably staring at a new issue for my Xcent. During a recent break-fix service at VTJ Hyundai (to replace a broken door handle, which again is a long term reliability point), the advisor mentioned of an oil leak suspected from the drive shaft. The leak wasn't a lot, but the central bottom mounting bracket had a droplet waiting to fall down. I decided to wait until the next periodic service. But after several weeks since this original problem was identified, now I started seeing visible oil marks in the floor tile of parking area. So I got a bit worried, and took it to a nearby garage. This one is the old MGF Hyundai dealer, Wellington Island now turned into a multi-brand garage under the brand Motory. They had been constantly calling me up for periodic service, and thus I decided to give it a try for this problem, as this garage is very near to my home.

The service staff was very courteous, and spent a decent amount of time looking for the problem and seems to have found the issue. There is no leakage from the drive shaft as such, but that mounting bracket had 3 nuts, two of it at the front and just one at the back. These nuts seem to go into the gearbox casing. It seems that, this casing or the nut threading for that single one has started to have fatigue cracks (due to vibrative load of engine and gearbox) within inside and the oil leakage is through that. The Motory guys cautioned me about touching it now. Most likely, this is going to need me replace the whole gearbox casing. I need to get this back to VTJ Hyundai asking for the estimates

Also there is an air-conditioner problem. It cools well for short distances, but given I drive for more than an hour, the cooling drops drastically. It goes so pathetic that the family feels better when the windows are rolled down. I've had this same problem with my older i10, and the thermistor had to be replaced. Seems to be the same case in this car as well, the Motory guys confirmed that the cooling system of air-conditioner is otherwise working well.
roby.thomas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2022, 05:37   #311
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by roby.thomas View Post
These nuts seem to go into the gearbox casing. It seems that, this casing or the nut threading for that single one has started to have fatigue cracks (due to vibrative load of engine and gearbox) within inside and the oil leakage is through that. The Motory guys cautioned me about touching it now.
"Due to vibrative load of engine and gearbox". Was that a statement from the service center?

I remember your car is a 1.2 petrol manual. No reason for such failures due to any such load on a small petrol motor, when large turbo diesels are running for lakhs of kms. Just another way Hyundai service centers make us believe it isn't poor quality, but our mistake and road conditions causing it.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2022, 06:45   #312
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
"Due to vibrative load of engine and gearbox". Was that a statement from the service center?
Yes now MGF Motory is no more an authorized dealer, so they indirectly would have acknowledged that it's poor design which gives away during long term usage. The way they figured it out was during inspection. Initially they jacked up the vehicle on lift, and completely cleaned and dried the soiled areas. Then they just waited to see if further oil seeps out. There wasn't any. Then the service advisor decided to start the engine and idle it (with air conditioner on). After it being run for a good 30 minutes, this wetness of oil started to appear. I was asking if the drive shaft is the problem, how simply idling the engine would prove any point. But it turned out that idling was enough. That's how they figured out the issue. Also the service boy who actually was checking had told me that they had got an exact case recently, but that was a Santro. I didn't ask of which model/year was that car.

Initially they suspected it happened because someone over tightened the nut and thus the issue. But I'm pretty sure never in my car's service history, the service center had a reason to touch that.
roby.thomas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2022, 07:07   #313
BHPian

I don't think I have come across this issue here on the forum but on my 2018 Next Gen Verna I have been having issue with driver seatbelt since at least a year. It gets stuck and no amount of soft or hard pulls makes it free. I have tried switching the car on and off but it does not work.

It has its own mind and sometimes comes free next day, sometimes in few hours and the latest it has not come free from last 3 days.

Will get it checked and replaced at service center this weekend, hope it is covered under warranty.
Old 19th June 2022, 13:16   #314
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogiii View Post
...I have been having issue with driver seatbelt since at least a year. It gets stuck and no amount of soft or hard pulls makes it free. I have tried switching the car on and off but it does not work.

It has its own mind and sometimes comes free next day, sometimes in few hours and the latest it has not come free from last 3 days.

Will get it checked and replaced at service center this weekend, hope it is covered under warranty.
I have this problem in my Hyundai Xcent. But I didn't consider this yet as a defect because I figured out under what condition it does get stuck for me. Unless the vehicle is level on the ground (left-to-right, zero banking angle), there is a high chance the seat belt will get stuck. This typically happens for me when I park it in front of some house's gate, parallel to the road. There would already be a ramp at the gate entry, and my vehicle would be banking to the road side. It's sure for me to get stuck. I'll have to roll the vehicle out to a level terrain and then the seat belt would freely start to move.
Old 31st July 2022, 14:17   #315
BHPian

Hyundai India has apparently started a recall campaign for affected vehicles but it is unclear at this point as to which of their vehicles are affected and what are the exact issues in the affected vehicles.

Hyundai India - The occasional serious quality lapse and apathetic manufacturer response!-hyundai-recall.png

News source : https://www.hyundai.com/in/en/connec...r-notification
Chhanda Das is offline   (10) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks