Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2020, 18:26   #181
BHPian

Re: Hyundai India - The occasional serious quality lapse and apathetic manufacturer response!

I was just seeing the Creta DCT turbo petrol engine review on youtube.

AFAIK the DCT is prone to breakdowns and expensive to fix. It will be sad to see the owners who will shell out in excess of 21L if the model is prone to failure.
Mafia is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2020, 00:25   #182
BHPian

Re: Hyundai India - The occasional serious quality lapse and apathetic manufacturer response!

Oh boy- and imagine the flak Honda's been getting since 2014 for have 'tinny sheet metal' and uncovered boot lid. And Toyota 'niggles' have been documented far and wide. And all this while Hyundai was by and large discussed as a premium brand while its engine parts were falling off! Wow!

This is a case of perceptions because everyone can touch the tinny sheet metal and have an opinion v. every car will have different but far more important parts failing but the owner will think- 'It's not a niggle. I have a lemon'

A lot of eyes have opened, including mine. Thank you for this thread sir.

Last edited by Vitalstatistiks : 23rd June 2020 at 00:28.
Vitalstatistiks is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2020, 06:49   #183
Distinguished - BHPian

As the title says, it must indeed be an occasional serious quality lapse, but not in all cases. As regards the apathetic response of the dealer, I've to agree completely, that is the reason why many problems come to light or even increase, because the authorized service network and the Hyundai escalation matrix are completely corrupted and as people have noted here, indeed does muscle people (loyal customers) into giving highest satisfaction rating even if the technical issue isnt solved, yes the remnants of the idiotic now dissolved J.D Power survey system.

As for my experience with their cars, I wish I had something negative to add, but I've been driving them since my learners license days, 3 cars spread over 15 years, not a single complaint.. no rattle, no clutch replacement, no part failures (2 or 3 small issues were sorted with warranty), even the Elantra got deep into floods, has taken a serious pothole in those floods, had branches fall during storms, many hits which made no impression etc.. it's been a rather peaceful 15 years across all cars similarly. The other 2 were hatchbacks - Santro Xing and Getz, again served their purpose beautifully with zero issues, the Getz ran about 65k kilometers without a clutch change and I sold it with stock everything, except for tyres.

Likewise I've also stuck up for VW when people bashed their cars on reliability, they may not be very spacious or practical but I've never seen an owner complain on reliability (even TSi owners) and I do know a few of them personally.

That said, I do hope my luck with Hyundai continues because the next one might very well be from them as well, reliability and easy maintenance are the key reasons we stick to the brand, so personally, we have zero issues to date.
dark.knight is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2020, 12:26   #184
BHPian

We have an almost 12 year old manual i10 in the family, still on its original clutch having done close to 80k kms mostly in the city traffic. I, my brother , three cousins and a couple of friends learned driving in this car. So you an imagine the level of abuse the clutch and engine has sustained/ withstood. Add to that the car was bought used. So the reliability of a Hyundai is bulletproof as per my family. That is the level of reliability Hyundai offered which made me go to the Hyundai stable when we were shopping for our first car. Well the Creta had no competition then and I would have bought it even if it was manufactured by FCA or Skoda albeit their horror stories. But the trust Hyundai enjoys from my family is immense and I believe that is the same for thousands of families across the country.

Unless and until some misfortune befalls, we all live in the fool's paradise that,'I need not worry, it won't happen to me'.
BLACNWYTE is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 25th June 2020, 22:04   #185
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
I think Hyundai's approach here will be to let the news die out in teambhp itself. They have control over other media and can hush up the news. What is the duration of a new item staying in TeamBHP homepage? I think it is about a week. Wait out that period and Hyundai is safe. They enjoy that kind of brand recall, and people will forget all about these as one off instances. If they issue a statement, it will only help the news stay in limelight.
Seems like it is happening exactly like what you have said.
Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
What is the duration of a new item staying in TeamBHP homepage?
In the homepage, in news section it is first-in first-out basis, the faster new articles pour-in into the news section the faster it will move out of the news section. And in other sections of the homepage like the top banners(don't know what we call it) & hot threads, not sure but I think it is manually controlled as per the wish of moderators. By the way it still did not make it to the homepage yet in news section or top banners section, or may be I must have missed it.
wheelguy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th June 2020, 13:55   #186
Senior - BHPian

Thanks CD for creating this thread.

Our Eon (late 2017) also has steering issues. Say if we leave the steering (to let it self-centre) after a small input to move to the right lane, it pulls back to the left rather abruptly almost forcing the front end to change direction. There is no such self-centering action when it is moved in the other direction.

Took it to Hyundai ASS a few times but they do not acknowledge the issue. They advice gripping the wheel firmly all the time!

Since the problem is not so severe and the car is a beater (used throughout the day for short distances), I've decided to live with it and trade in after a few years to some other brand.

As per my experience, Hyundai's complaint resolution is as good (or bad) as that of a Tata/Mahindra. One will be pleased with the service quality as long as there's only routine maintenance involved.

Even though the cars look good and feel premium, the mechanicals and other core components are worse than Maruti Suzuki in terms of reliability and abuse-friendliness.

There are 8-10 Hyundai cars (Creta, i20s, i10s) in my family and friend circle. More than half of them have had premature failure of suspension, steering or AC components. And the funny thing is that the cars are a bliss to own for the first 2 or 3 years. Issues crop up only after 3 or 4 years irrespective of the kms covered.

Last edited by self_driven : 26th June 2020 at 13:57.
self_driven is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 26th June 2020, 16:05   #187
BHPian

How can we expect Hyundai to address these concerns when haven't addressed the issues for the last 8 years. This thread will die to down soon and Creta and seltos will be seeling in numbers.
gasinveins is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th June 2020, 07:49   #188
BHPian

Thanks for this thread, it was really eye opening to read about problems fellow members have faced. To be honest it has come at a time when I have booked Hyundai Grand i10 Nios Asta AMT and have been waiting since May for my delivery. Dealership has informed that Hyundai is currently focussing on New Generation Verna and New 2020 Creta which are just launched and Nios will be manufactured either late June or early July. I have no visibility or confirmation yet. I spoke to many of my friends and relatives who own Hyundai cars and most of them are still happy about their call.

What worries me most are the type of failures - Brakes, Clutch etc. which are very critical components. Also Nios is the next generartion Grand i10 so reading thriugh the reviews about was worrying.

As things stand, I discussed with my wife on the points of this thread but She is sold on Nios. I personally like Altroz petrol but we need an Auto which is not yet available.

I am praying to God and hoping that everything turns out well at the end.
swarnava.ch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2020, 12:38   #189
BHPian

We own a Hyundai Verna (My dad's drive) and it has done 100k odd km. At 40k, the suspension system had failed and Hyundai refused to replace it under warranty. We knew someone in Hyundai and he helped us get the service centre to fix it (major repairs and replacement wherever repairs were impossible). Sometime later (odometer reading not known) the power steering motor failed. Had to be replaced. Same with clutch (it's a manual). Now the water pump has failed.

The car drives smooth as silk and we are largely happy with the car. It's powerful (125 bhp), but the suspension and EPS failure really bothered us. Now the water pump is gone, but it's been more than 100k km so it's understandable I guess.

Hyundai service in Hyderabad is not great and twice we have had to use our connections in Hyundai to escalate matters at a very senior level to get the A.S.S to do their job.

My dad's exact words when I shared this thread with him:

"I have faced two serious quality issues. First the power steering motor got busted and now the water pump has gone bad.

Reliability remains a big concern in Hyundai cars."
cityslicker86 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 29th June 2020, 08:24   #190
BHPian

Hi BHPians,

I am getting this wierd rattle kind of noise in the dashboard of my 6 month old NIOS. It used to be occassional when I drive through broken roads, potholes etc.. But the sound will go when i hold the dashboard and the instrument cluster plastic.

Gave it to the SVC and we took a test drive and the sound was not there and we were not able to replicate the issue to fix it. They said they will apply foam something if they're able to find the source of that sound

Now, it's gotten more frequent and even holding the dashboard does not fix the issue. Please look into this video -> https://drive.google.com/file/d/14qG...ew?usp=sharing where you can hear that sound and please give me any suggestions if you have any on how to resolve this. Thanks!
Old 2nd July 2020, 07:27   #191
BHPian

This forum has given a platform to various voices and concerns that were previously thought to be one off or brushed under the carpet.

I was discussing with a car enthusiast friend the other day and it was quite interesting. He mentioned that even with the best of assembly lines and manufacturing, quality issues in parts sourced by vendors remains a big concern. Even with the possibility of say 0.1% of faults although difficult to achieve can have a large impact. It depends on numbers. So out of thousand, one car might break down but when this is extrapolated to a figure in millions the number drastically increases.

My response was that did he think that was it only bhpians who ended up with all these?
His was even better- Hyundai has sold a large number of cars. This shows their complacency. The error or fault percentage might be higher. Had to give him that. Maybe Hyundai has become so confident or there are some serious quality lapses that are not being attended to now that they have a larger order kitty and the production lines are nearly a decade old.

This got me into a new thought. Kia has the latest production set up. Are there any Kia owners who are facing any such issues?
Would be nice to know whether these instances are limited to Hyundai or are they in Kia as well.

Because after reading this thread, any prospective buyer will tread carefully on buying a Hyundai. But if Kia also follows the same approach then it would be a serious lapse on the part of the second largest car manufacturer in India.

Thanks.
knrn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2020, 08:03   #192
Senior - BHPian

I for one ,have had nothing but good things to say about Hyundai.

Their cars last and I have had one in my garage since 2005.

Their first Sonata Gold was phenomenal. We clocked close to 2,50,000 Kms before selling it. It matched the Camry we also had at that time in comfort, ease of ownership and reliability.
The second generation Santa FE (2006/07) was another great product. Comfortable, fast and reliable for its time.
Still have a 2009 Hyundai Sonata Transform. Nearing 2L kms. It has not given me a reason for remorse. On the contrary,a very enjoyable ownership experience.
The A.S.S has also worked well. Maybe not at the level of Toyota but decent enough.

I am not sure how their smaller hatch backs are performing now but I do know that people who bought the original Santro still swear by it.

Last edited by bigron : 2nd July 2020 at 08:06.
bigron is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2020, 14:42   #193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
All these 9 issues in addition to the very well known documented issues with previous generation Hyundai cars for which the owners never received proper resolution as well!
Kudos to you! I know how much time and efforts you would have put in to compile this thread with all reported issues listed down and referencing real-time examples for quick reference.

The folks at Hyundai should be closely watching this thread, I presume.

From my experience (of owning / driving / hearing from friends and family),

* The 1998 Santro, 1999 Accent and 2001 Sonata were truly brilliant cars for their time in terms of build quality, fit and finish and reliability. Hyundai really gave Maruti Udyog Limited and Tata Motors a run for their money, which no doubt helped propel them to where they are now.

* If you look at this thread, a vast majority of the complaints are from the time the i10 and i20 were launched. Subsequently, with the Fluidic Verna, Grand i10, Elite i20 and Creta coming into the fray, the issues appear to have manifested in a bigger way.

Hyundai has to act on this quickly if the hard-earned reputation built on the back of their first-gen cars in India is to be retained. Once the reputation is lost, fortunes can and will go down in no time!
arvi86 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2020, 15:30   #194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharktale View Post
I won't recommend Hyundai as whole-heartedly I did earlier.
Update : Carrying on this policy now. I have successfully dissuaded two of my friends from getting the Grand i10 Nios / Elite i20 for their respective parents. This thread had been an eye opener for them too.

They have both given their business to Maruti Suzuki Baleno.

Yes, I agree some might be hesitant due to the tin-can reputation of the MS branded cars. However, their usage is limited to day-time city rides (annually under 4k kms) in moderate/heavy traffic conditions. So, for it negates the requirements of a robust build. The users will be more wary of failing mechanical components which often don't get detected/diagnosed.
sharktale is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2020, 20:08   #195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharktale View Post

Yes, I agree some might be hesitant due to the tin-can reputation of the MS branded cars.
Well, Hyundais are also in same tin-can class. They are not built solidly like Tata, Mahindra or European cars. But, no one can beat Maruti's low purchase price, low cost of ownership, reliability, excellent service network and resale value.
pgsagar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks