Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2021, 16:25   #286
BHPian

Re: Hyundai India - The occasional serious quality lapse and apathetic manufacturer response!

Elite i20 door sensor button is not functioning. Can it be repaired without replacing the entire handle assembly?
Old 21st September 2021, 08:27   #287
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Hyundai India - The occasional serious quality lapse and apathetic manufacturer response!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarNerd View Post
Elite i20 door sensor button is not functioning. Can it be repaired without replacing the entire handle assembly?
Don't think so. I had the same problem on my Creta and they replaced the handle. It was covered under warranty though.
naveen.raju is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th September 2021, 20:26   #288
BHPian

Hello all!

I have been encountering a strange issue with the infotainment system of our 2017 Hyundai Verna 4S. Since the last one week the time taken for the infotainment system to boot is approximately 5-10 mins while it used to be hardly 10-15 secs earlier. During this boot up, the screen also tends to switch off and then turn on again until it finally boots up.

This delay is present only when the car is started after a interval of 8-9hrs (It does not occur if we try to replicate the issue just after the system has turned on).

Any idea on what could be the issue? Anyone else have faced similar problem?

Attaching the video for reference. Excuse the video quality.
Tojo_GotBhp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2021, 08:15   #289
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tojo_GotBhp View Post
Any idea on what could be the issue? Anyone else have faced similar problem?

Attaching the video for reference. Excuse the video quality.
http://Youtu.be/hCVP8NE-iZo
I had this issue initially but the Hyundai logo stayed on and never restarted like in your case.

When was your AVN updated? My issue was resolved after updating the AVN. That should solve it.
naveen.raju is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th September 2021, 08:31   #290
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
I had this issue initially but the Hyundai logo stayed on and never restarted like in your case.

When was your AVN updated? My issue was resolved after updating the AVN. That should solve it.
Even I suspect it to be a software issue, but I did contact FPL Hyundai who after looking at the video suspects the issue to be related with the AVN unit's board and also mentioned that since the unit is not from Hyundai themselves, he'll need to send it to Motrex (supplier of the unit).

Is it possible to update the AVN software myself? If so, any reference link would be highly appreciated.

Thank you!
Old 30th September 2021, 10:24   #291
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Even I suspect it to be a software issue, but I did contact FPL Hyundai who after looking at the video suspects the issue to be related with the AVN unit's board and also mentioned that since the unit is not from Hyundai themselves, he'll need to send it to Motrex (supplier of the unit).

Is it possible to update the AVN software myself? If so, any reference link would be highly appreciated.

Thank you!
Yes, you can update it yourself. Many BHPians have done it. AFAIK, only the first 3 updates or first 3 years will be free after which you will need to pay around 1500 for each update (atleast in the case of Creta).

Do try this link - https://sync.hyundai.co.in/
Or search here on TeamBHP (There's a dedicated thread).
naveen.raju is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2021, 17:00   #292
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Yes, you can update it yourself. Many BHPians have done it. AFAIK, only the first 3 updates or first 3 years will be free after which you will need to pay around 1500 for each update (atleast in the case of Creta).

Do try this link - https://sync.hyundai.co.in/
Or search here on TeamBHP (There's a dedicated thread).
Sorry for the delayed update.

I have downloaded the latest software from the map-care website. However, now unlike the last week the AVN unit is not switching on at all. I tried to reset using the small hole in the top-right, but it never reset. The update can be carried out only after the system has been properly booted I guess because I tried plugging in the pen drive, but there was no response from the system.

Since even your AVN unit didn't turn on in the Creta, could you please elaborate on how the software update was carried out?

Thank you.
Old 11th October 2021, 08:11   #293
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Since even your AVN unit didn't turn on in the Creta, could you please elaborate on how the software update was carried out?
Thank you.
I haven't tried it. I got got my 3 updates from the HASS. Since I don't have Android Auto and never use the Hyundai navigation, I never bothered much about it. Here's the thread but for the first gen Creta. The steps will be the same.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-e...-software.html (Step-by-step instructions: Updating the Hyundai Creta's Head-Unit software)
Old 5th December 2021, 20:27   #294
BHPian

This is slightly off-topic, however being about Hyundai authorized service able to rectify a problem, I thought of putting it here.

My sister owns a Hyundai Xcent SX(O), which is a later model than mine (I guess is a 2017 year make. This one has Android Auto touchscreen infotainment, more aggressive looking front grill). She unfortunately had a not so trivial accident with it in the initial years of ownership and the vehicle had to undergo a major repair in the authorized service center. All was good, except the vehicle odometer which stopped working since then.

The bizarre part is that the service center which is Hyundai authorized (in-fact the dealer who sold the vehicle itself), says they are unable to diagnose the problem let alone rectify it. How could that even be possible ? Can someone help me with some clues on what could be wrong.

This could be a major issue on the resale value, and I was proposing to keep the vehicle with us for the rest of it's usable life (The vehicle as such is still pretty good). But she once again decided to give it a try at the service center, and the response seems to be the same as it was on day 1.
roby.thomas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2021, 09:48   #295
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roby.thomas View Post
The bizarre part is that the service center which is Hyundai authorized (in-fact the dealer who sold the vehicle itself), says they are unable to diagnose the problem let alone rectify it. How could that even be possible ? Can someone help me with some clues on what could be wrong.
Unfortunately, that's the truth. For them it's "Replace the part if there's any issue".

I have a small issue with the AVN (which am going to replace with aftermarket unit) where the camera is always on. Took the car on the weekend and removed the camera module (Removing this will disable the AVN display). After reaching home, when I tried to open the boot, it wasn't opening. Had to take the car there yesterday, and after spending an hour they realized that the camera module is linked with the boot release so now back to square one. No explanation on why the camera is always on.

On the i10, the battery terminal screw (marked in yellow) has no thread so tends to loose grip and the battery connection is lost. Asked them to replace this screw/nut but denied that saying I need to change the entire cable/wire that you see in the picture which has got a sensor. So the net cost - 9k plus tax. Ya, 10k for a battery terminal screw/nut. A local workshop said they will replace the screw.

Hyundai India - The occasional serious quality lapse and apathetic manufacturer response!-20211207_093808.jpg

All these issues that I have reported, there were no proper diagnosis. Just replace and forget it is the attitude.
naveen.raju is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 7th December 2021, 18:03   #296
BHPian

****Concentric Slave Cylinder Fault + Replacement|Creta 1.6 Petrol|1st Gen Creta**********

Below are the series of Events:-

-Around 18470 ODO reading as I was traveling towards Bhopal from Hyderabad I noticed the clutch Pedal went super light.
Engaging the pedal required Zero Effort. It happened back to back during 4 Clutch engagements to change the gears.
-There was no drop in acceleration and even after this event we traveled almost 200 Km and there was no issue except the pedal was still on the lighter side
-The next day post the cold start the clutch had gained the elasticity and normal resistance levels
-Consulted a few forum members and after their probing questions were answered it was concluded that the Slave Cylinder could be the culprit.
-Consulted the HYUNDAI ASC in Bhopal(CI Hyundai)and they performed the below:-

1. Test Drive of the vehicle was taken by the ASC
2. The vehicle was raised on the platform and any signs of the fluid leak were checked There was NO LEAK.
3. Fluid Levels were checked and they were OK.

They Concluded it could be either or both but they didn't have either in stock and ordering one meant 15 days wait.:-

1. Concentric Slave Cylinder(Old Part Number-4142126000 /New Part Number-4142126100)
2. Master Cylinder

-Since I was traveling further they asked me to contact the ASC in Jalandhar
and request them to order the part in advance so that it is available as soon as I reach Jalandhar on 6th Dec,21. I called the ASC in advance and requested them to place the order A S A P.
-Reached and contacted the ASC in Jalandhar(Punjab) and explained the situation.
-Also enquired about the part availability as they were intimated in advance. The initial response was " We have placed an emergency order and it will arrive by Jan 11th,22.
They took the TD and the mechanic after the test drive concluded there is no issue. Explained to him that issue crops up after the vehicle has done some kilometers (200+)
-Explained to the ASC that I need to travel back another 2500 Km and it is not a comfortable feeling to travel with doubt in mind that the vehicle might stall on the way.
-Since the ASC was not budging either with the replacement or with the ETA of the part had to pull some strings and voila the part was shipped from another ASC by EOD.
-Today got a call from the ASC to bring the vehicle and get the part replaced.
-Job card was created by 11 Am and the replacement was completed by 4 PM.
-Part Replaced under warranty and just had to pay for the Brake Fluid.
-Below Pics for reference.
****It is too early to conclude if the issue has been taken care of permanently but there are high chances that it has been fixed. Will update the post after traveling a few Hundred Kilometers.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai India - The occasional serious quality lapse and apathetic manufacturer response!-20211207_104033.jpg  

Hyundai India - The occasional serious quality lapse and apathetic manufacturer response!-20211207_104209.jpg  

Hyundai India - The occasional serious quality lapse and apathetic manufacturer response!-20211207_104217.jpg  

Hyundai India - The occasional serious quality lapse and apathetic manufacturer response!-20211207_134608.jpg  

Hyundai India - The occasional serious quality lapse and apathetic manufacturer response!-20211207_134857.jpg  

Hyundai India - The occasional serious quality lapse and apathetic manufacturer response!-20211207_134909.jpg  

Artyom is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th December 2021, 18:02   #297
BHPian

Update->Brake Fluid Cable Leaks
On 9th Dec,21 post the cold start I took the vehicle out and tried to park it outside my residence. During that, the Clutch pedal sank again and it didn't come back at all. Immediately I stopped the vehicle and opened the bonnet to observe that the pipe which supplies/carries the brake fluid in and out was leaking profusely.
Yesterday i drove the vehicle for almost 50 km and it worked fine so not sure what snapped.Since the service center is hardly 200 meters from my residence I called them and spoke to Mr Arun and he promptly sent a team to inspect the vehicle as the gear was not getting engaged and hence I could not transport the vehicle to the service center. Upon inspection by the team they quoted that the clip which holds the pipe together onto the nozzle was not fit properly and they have fitted the clip again.As there was a huge loss of the brake fluid I topped it up with the same from the residual stock left from yesterday's bottle.Video attached

Last edited by Artyom : 9th December 2021 at 18:03.
Artyom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th December 2021, 16:31   #298
BHPian

After fully reading the beautifully written and compiled thread I too got encouraged by it and decided that I should also contribute something constructive to it which is why I decided to pen down a case study on the peculiar case of Hyundai India.

Indian automotive scene is definitely not easy to thrive.We have seen global automotive giants like Ford,General Motors,Fiat etc being thrown away to smithereens thereby going into huge losses in their Indian arm leading to shutting down their shops in India.Some of the other conglomerates which are globally top manufacturing companies like Volkswagen Automobile Group,Honda Motor Company,Toyota Motor Corporation etc having an abysmal presence and somehow trying to cling in the market but one is surprised when one looks at the South Korean giant Hyundai Motor Company which also opened their business in India at a similar time as the aforementioned conglomerates but as of now in India they are the highest revenue earning company in India and has emerged as one of the most aspirational and desirable car brands among the majority of Indians as compared to even Europeans and Americans. Also what makes it all the more interesting is the fact that the Korean giant had a lot less R&D budget and lower engineering skills as compared to mighty Europeans,Americans and the Japanese but still they became successful in wooing the Indians.

What’s even more astonishing is the fact that their majority of the cars have some serious structural and engineering flaws and some of these flaws are not even trivial,they are life-taking at times,and it ain’t that these problems were not known to them,it was pretty well known to them and if by any chance it had slipped from them during QC there has been a lot of complaints regarding these problems from the consumers but what’s appalling is the fact that the OEM is completely apathetic to even to these serious issues and treat us just like some 3rd class people who should be contented with the 4wheels and steering that have been provided to them and should not find flaws in their cars let alone criticising them! I’ll not elaborate the issues as they are already very well-compiled in Team-BHP forum.

Second problem I have with them is about their structural solidity(or the lack there of) in their cars.Majority of their cars are structurally fragile which is a clear cost cutting measure.What punches me the hardest is the fact that the Korean giant maintains a double standard with us so called “Cherished” customers who spend hefty prices and wait in long queues to get hold of one of their cars but what we get in return are useless gizmo loaded death-traps and I mean it,just consider you are cruising on a highway when suddenly both steering and brakes fail thus causing a crash(as opposed to some OEMs which try to give features so as to avoid crashes!) and when you crash,the car just mangles and crumples like a sheet of paper thus lessening your chance of survival,living up to their name “DEATH-TRAP”. Not a nice way of population control,South Koreans.
None of their cars have managed to get above 3star crash rating in Global NCAP which tests made in India cars.From their budget cars like Santro which have managed to get only 2stars(as compared to a Tiago which got 4stars) to their expensive cars like Creta,Alcazar which are untested but based on their internal structures and their cousin Kia Seltos which is based on same platform managed to get a lamentable 2.5stars in GNCAP their highest selling models offer you the most unsafe drive,I don’t fret claiming that.Heck,even Suzuki has safer cars in their stable and have mechanicals which don’t fail in the middle of the road.
Also while at it I must point it out that most of the times safety hasn’t ever been Hyundai’s priority during product planning strategy.Consider the case of their highest selling model the first gen Creta.Even if we leave the six airbags as most of the OEMs in that segment offer in top most trims only,they reserved crucial active safety features like ESP,TC&VSM only in their top SX(O) manual trim. So much so that they didn’t bother to give these essential active safety features and not even six airbags option in the Automatic variant at all during the whole life-cycle of the first gen model (And here we were making noise and criticising Škoda for adding 6Airbags only after 4months of launch in response to customer feedback and satisfaction!,at least they did and Hyundai,heck they shrugged off serious issues like I mentioned earlier what’s this?!),also they decided to equip ISOFIX mounts only in the automatic variants only,does anyone have a logic for that?Let me touch on more point Hyundai did give height-adjustable seat-belts with pre-tensioners but for the Indian variant they omitted the load-limiter function for the same,the lack of latter can cause serious injuries to the occupants but why will Hyundai bother for us worthless mortals who should consider themselves fortunate enough in driving their “World-Class cars”!! Even in their second gen Creta this strategy continues albeit in a different manner, now if you want to buy a top model naturally aspirated petrol Creta with manual transmission,you do get panoramic sunroof,a gigantic touchscreen system but you get only 2airbags and no active safety features which I mentioned earlier. What do you think about that?

Next point which I would like to highlight is the usage of inferior quality materials and parts in their cars.I mean on one hand there are some OEMs which offer you anti-perforation warranty on the paint of their cars and on other hand we have OEMs which have peeled off paint clean from their car’s body as if it were somehow shoddily painted by some local shanty garage,that too in absolutely in normal conditions.Then their parts quality too which like their paint quality is subpar.Ask any new Elite i20,Creta owners they definitely have their condenser belts and sometimes even timing chains fall off clean from the engine bay!. Again I wouldn’t elaborate much as these are compiled beautifully.

Now just add up all of these and you can picture of what I said at the beginning unnecessary gizmo loaded cars with fundamental flaws in their structure and engineering and this has been deliberately done so as to save costs by a huge margin since majority of us don’t give a damn about these and we are easily flattered and blinded with equipment.Even after all these flaws they still laugh their way to bank as people are standing in crowd with ready hard cash to get hold of these junk box death-traps.Also consider the fact that most of the resources are spent by the OEMs in R&D of their cars,gizmos are dirt cheap in front of them but the Korean giant doesn’t need to do proper R&D just make anything,stuff it with all the goodies,price it at a premium and dump it on us and we will be happily buying those stuff,now just imagine how much profit they are earning from us.Also personally speaking,at least their yesteryear cars looked nice and appealing nowadays their designs too are just bulbous,monstrous and HIDEOUS.

What’s saddening is the fact that we buy these cars by ignoring some of the better built and engineered cars thus causing their business case to be infeasible for them in India leading to their demise.We are not setting our priorities correct to be very honest.I have already started missing Ford highly,their Ecosport was such a good option in ~10L price range and well their Endeavour was miles better than the respective segment leader. Also what beautiful cars did Ford give us including the Ikon 1.6,Fiesta 1.6S,Figo 1st gen TDCi etc. Alas we would never see them again😔. Now there are only a handful of players left and I really hope people prefer them and they keep their focus set on our market because if these remaining European/American/Japanese brands shut their shop,honestly speaking these OEMs will do even more arbitrary stuff and we will have to accept those since we have no other choice
Finally by arbitrary I mean they will stop selling whatever good cars they have left in their segment.I have already described about the Tucson being miles better than the other offering by Hyundai in every aspect whether it be parts(since they are imported not locally made),is solidly built with a perfect 5star in Euro NCAP (since it’s CKD no chance of double standard) but that’s not the topic for today I have had already elaborated many times already.

I must mention that some people will think me of as a Hyundai hater but I would like to mention that I have no problem with them,I love their safe cars even more than say Europeans and Americans. I personally own two Hyundai cars,the first gen 2009 i20 Asta(O) 1.4 CRDi equipped with 6Airbags which was made in India for European markets and it scored a perfect 5stars in Euro NCAP and was included in top 5safest cars in Europe back then. My second car which I recently bought is which you might already know is the Hyundai Tucson CRDi 4WD. Also we have a 1999 Hyundai Santro in our family as well,also I absolutely loved some of their yesteryear cars like Sonata and Santa Fe

Thank you very much and I hope you liked it, have a great time ahead
Tony2298 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th March 2022, 11:56   #299
BHPian

Wow!!Just when I was getting comfortable with the idea of buying a Hyundai/Kia I stumbled upon this thread. For many years I have been avoiding these 2 brands mainly because I thought they still had a long way to go. This is the kind of information that you will not get in any Car and Bike magazine. Thanks to TeamBHP and members for highlighting issues with the manufacturers which does play a crucial role when buying a new car.
Mr.Ogre is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2022, 10:05   #300
BHPian

Supreme Court upholds compensation awarded by consumer forum for non-deployment of airbags of Hyundai Creta

Customer purchased Creta 1.6 VTVT SX+ on 21st August 2015. It met with an accident on the Delhi Panipat highway on 16th November 2017 resulting in substantial damage to its RH front pillar, RH front roof, side body panels, front RH door panels and LH front wheel suspension.

Vehicle owner, his mother and daughter were in the vehicle. The airbags of the vehicle did not deploy at the time of collision.The complainant suffered head, chest as also dental injuries. He attributes such injuries to non deployment of airbags at the time of accident.

Customer had approached State Consumer Forum and got verdict in his favor. Hyundai appealed against this in National Consumer forum. Again customer got a favourable verdict. Forum awarded damages and a new car (though the customer didn't ask for a new car). Finally Hyundai appealed against National Consumer Forum order in Supreme Court, but lost

Description of accident as per car owner:

He was driving at 100 kmph speed on Gannaur highway.
A front going truck applied sudden brake, his car hit to the truck from the right side to the left rear corner of the Truck.
Further his car scratched against the truck while moving towards left side of the road and finally hit to some stones on the left front wheel and vehicle stopped

Excerpt from investigation report:

Vehicle found with major damage on RH front pillar, RH Side body panels and LH front wheel suspension.
Under ride &Angular impact found on the RH Front Pillar,Roof and Front RH Door panel.
Grazing damages found on the RH side panels due to the scratch against truck while moving towards left.

Findings:

No crash info recorded in SRSCM, hence no air bags deployed.
No impact damage observed on both side chassis members, damages found away from impact sensors.
Vehicle found completely dismantled and mid repair condition during inspection.

Conclusion:

The major impact to the vehicle from RH pillar resulted in under ride and angular condition.
Both front chassis member found unaffected by the frontal impact,hence no impact sensed by the front impact sensors and not triggered any signal to SRSCM (No crash info recorded in SRSCM for frontal impact).
After thorough study, it is confirmed that the condition was not met for the air bag deployment, hence no air bags deployed.
The air bag system was working proper at the time of accident

Excerpt from National Consumer forum

Complainant, however, had filed photographs of the accidental car.
Major damage to RH front pillar, RH front roof, side body panels front RH door panels and LH front wheel suspension is seen in the photographs of the car.

Without forceful impact, the car would not have been so badly damaged.The accident was a major accident in which the entire driver side of the car, the side part and even the front mirror of the car got smashed and broken.

The impact of the accident was so intense that the front bumper grill, dash board and the radiator got totally damaged.

The State Commission rightly observed “that expert evidence need not be relied upon where the facts speak for themselves.This is a case of Res Ipsa Loquitur where the photographs of the damaged vehicle placed on record clearly show the impact of the accident on the vehicle"

Compensation:

1)Compensate the complainant an amount of Rs.2,00,000/ for medical expenses and loss of income.
2)Compensate the complainant an amount of Rs.50,000/ for mental agony
3)Pay to the complainant an amount of Rs.50,000/ as cost of litigation.

Vehicle may be replaced as punitive damages

Source 1

Source 2

Link to judgement
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Hyundai_Judgement_20-Apr-2022.pdf (322.4 KB, 214 views)
Voodooblaster is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks