Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2020, 17:38   #136
BHPian

Re: Hyundai India - The occasional serious quality lapse and apathetic manufacturer response!

Issue 3 & Issue 8 happened to me on my 2014 Grand i10, just after completing around 10,000 Kms & just after 1 year with the car.

Issue 3 where the whole pulley/wheel fell off, was very shocking to me at that time. Never thought it was a common issue. Always thought that it was my fault somehow.

Now I also face battery draining problems.

Slowly getting fed up of Hyundai & their not so great (anymore) cars, service & attitude.

Last edited by anks_at : 17th June 2020 at 17:45.
anks_at is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 17:54   #137
BHPian

Re: Hyundai India - The occasional serious quality lapse and apathetic manufacturer response!

Good this post came up on Team BHP, maybe the guys at Hyundai will pay some attention to the issues.
I've been using the old I20 for the past 9 years, I usually use my cars for long time (at least 10 years). I love my car, but the ownership experience has not been trouble free. the car has run only 44k km in past 9 years.
1. The car left me stranded in the middle of rush hour red light during the 1st year of ownership. The car overheated with coolant boiling and fumes seen over Bonet from inside. It was probably a blown fuse for the fan.
2. The car again left me stranded in the middle of traffic at red light when the clutch master or sleeve cylinder failed at 4th year of ownership. The clutch on pressing remained there and did not bounce back. Me and my dad had to push the car to the side.
3. The AC evaporator coil leaked and had to be replaced 3 years back.
4. The steering rattle has been present from the day 1, the people at Hyundai could not solve it and asked to replace one thing or the other every time. Driving it over less than perfect roads feels like the steering assembly will fall apart!

Other minor issues include driver side outside door handle broke off and stayed in my hand once when I pulled it to open the door , boot strut had to be replaced in around 4 years, both sun visors had to be replaced as they fell down when driving

The car is now sparingly used and will be replaced soon. We have been using multiple Maruti and Honda cars int family, all cars are kept for at least 7-8 years, haven't faced such issues in any of them.
midazolam is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 17:55   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adithya.kp View Post
For the parts, is it possible to invoice it but dont replace the parts?. I guess, it will be complicated do it since they have to pay GST on non existent parts.
(At the risk of going off-thread) Yes, why not? The parts might be invoiced, but not used in your car, and instead sold off in the black market at a lower cost.
PearlJam is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 18:05   #139
BHPian

I have no experience with the new Hyundai's, but have lived with an Accent (Petrol) for 8 long years, a purchase decision that we always regretted. All those hype about independent rear suspension, 25 bhp power advantage over the dolphin Honda city translated to nothing on the road.

We had a car whose one or the other component broke down every now and then- rusts, power windows, frequently failing clutch, what not. And interestingly once (which is the reason why I'm typing this post) the brake didn't bite when we were descending a flyover slowly and ended up rear ending a biker. That was it. Said thank you and goodbye to the car, and sold it off at bargain prices.

Last edited by xjosephjacob : 17th June 2020 at 18:06.
xjosephjacob is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 18:37   #140
BANNED

Seems like many people have serious reliability issues with their Hyundais, and was waiting for a proper platform to vent out their irritation where they will not be harassed. Never heard these many people replying with their issues.
romeomidhun is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 20:52   #141
BHPian

I have a late 2017 model manual petrol Creta. Apart from the inadequate brakes, which I knew from before the purchase itself, this is the first time I am hearing about so many issues with it

To say that the brakes are inadequate is an understatement. I leave more gap from the vehicle in front, than I would with our Swift when I drive the Creta. I don't do panic braking often because of my driving style but a couple of times I did were truly heart in mouth situations. The ABS is mostly not used in my car but I have felt it work a couple of times when I applied brakes on loose sand on concrete surface/ gravel roads. Worked as it is supposed to I guess because I had traction but stopping distance increased.

My Creta since I took delivery has a couple of thin faint brown lines on sides of hood and front fender which I chalked up to shoddy paint work from factory and since they were very thin and small I kind of looked over that matter. Since I read about paint peeling off I'm dreading the day the paint start to peel off from my car.

There was one incident just before the car turned two and had clocked about 14k kms. While I was coming back from a 200 km trip, at one traffic block I felt the AC was not working and when I peeked at the MID the engine temp was on the final red bar. I parked the car at the nearest possible safe location and got out and opened the hood. There was no fluid leakages. I called up the HASS and my SA told me that if the engine over heats then the AC will automatically cut off. He assured me that I can drive the vehicle to the service station since it was nearby and they will get it checked.

Ten minutes after when I started the car the temp was just over the half mark and it started to rise after driving for a short while. So I stopped again, rolled down all windows, Put the heater on in max temp and started driving again. The temp was again over the half mark but it was not rising as fast as before. Anyway, I dropped the car off at service station and later they informed that the radiator fan/ AC fan has conked off and it's because of that the engine over heated and he said that the fan is being replaced under warranty. I got the car back by next day and after 7k kms and about 8 months down the line I have never faced that issue again(touch wood). Though I automatically check the temp gauge occasionally now while I drive and especially when I cross that particular junction each time.

Apart from this I have faced a rattling parcel tray which was fixed at first service with some sponge tape. Also there was rattling from the left inside rear panel which was again attended to and rectified by the service station during the second service at zero cost. There was also an incident of tyre bulge in one of the Goodyears which came with the car. That was also replaced under warranty/ manufacturing defect by an older make but new tyre. This required me raising my voice a bit because they tried to pass off the tyre bulge as user inflicted damage. I use the new tyre as spare. These incidents have made me realize that Hyundai's fit and finish is not as good as they are marketed to be.

I'll end this with a query. Does anyone else face an issue of burnt plasticky/ rubbery smell inside the car after hard acceleration in lower gears? Especially in petrol manual Creta. Initially I thought it was because it was a new car but the same still happens after 2.5 years. My foot was nowhere near the clutch pedal when I was accelerating so I don't think its burnt clutch.

Last edited by vb-saan : 18th June 2020 at 07:52. Reason: A few typos
BLACNWYTE is offline   (4) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 17th June 2020, 20:58   #142
BHPian

First. Great effort and dedication by crazydriver compiling the thread. The attention to detail here in team bhp has always been a standing point. Deserves a standing ovation.

Second. I have been reading this thread since the first day and a large no of posts get added every passing day. It has become a hot and sticky thread. Seems like everyone has a story to tell.

Third. I own a 2007 santro. Before that a 2004 santro and before that a 2001.
The overall build quality has gone down definitely. I can funnily relate an incident. When my late father went to purchase a santro in 2001, mind you those were the days when headlights didn't have clear lenses but those multi faceted glasses- I don't know what they are called- the owner of the showroom proudly showed my dad a santro that had suffered a 200 foot drop near Shimla. It had intact headlight glasses. He non chalantly asked my father to pick a hammer and try shattering the headlight glass stating that if my father could break it, he would let my father have a new santro free. Needless to say my father and his friend tried. Couldn't break it. But they were so impressed by the quality that we bought the Santro in 2001 , then again in 2004 and then again in 2007- which I drive till now. Will try to hold on to it as long as I can- my father's last big purchase. Sorry for going off topic. But in 2007 when we got the car new from showroom, within a month my father noted and mentioned that the new car didn't feel as solid as the old car- that there were a few issues with the new one. I was in college that time but I still remember this clearly. The car has been with me permanently since 2010. Needless to say that the service cost keeps going up every year. Now I have been shelling out in excess of 10 grand every service. But there is always some part change adding to expenditures.
Now that we have the background story here is my gripe.

One. Horrible horrible Ac. Takes a long time to cool. Have gotten it checked many times. Finally Replaced the evaporator coil in 2016. No change. Since then I stopped bothering about it. Whenever we go out, we usually sweat. The car is never cool. But learnt to live with it.

Second- even though the car is into its 13th year now, it has run only 50k on the odo.
It has undergone clutch replacement twice, suspension setup replacement two years ago, brake pads and disk replacement twice, last being also two years ago. The battery conks off now within a year, I have already changed battery 3 times in the last 3 years in Jalandhar. Was told to change the entire wiring. It was too expensive. Didn't do it.

Third. The tyre alignment faults out every now and then causing uneven tyre wear. In the 13 years I am now on my fourth set of tyres. I have now made a routine to get alignment done every 6 months from the MRF tyre shop close to my house. It seems to be of benefit.

Fourth. The gas struts of the Dicky/rear hatch failed by the 3rd year. 2010. Never bothered never repaired.
I used to think that now may be the car is old it is showing it's age. I do not know how will the above problems be classified- whether as actual problems or as #metoo complaints. But I have faced them none the less and till now I used to think I was the only one.
I stopped getting my car service from ASS after the suspension change. I now go to a FNG. The bill still touches 7k but is quite less than what it was previously.
I was looking for a replacement. Was seriously contemplating the Crysta. But with the recent sad demise of my father and the lockdown, my savings eroded. I came down a segment and began researching the Seltos. But now probably I won't. I will wait- will try for an innova, if not then something from the Tata/ Mahindra stable. I have a case of serious backache, I can't stoop and sit in a low sedan. It will be an SUV for me. I can live with the mechanical replacements and services but at least I know that my brakes will work and my steering will not fail.

But the car also has it's positives. The engine and gearbox have never given me any problem. Still cranks at the first go and the engine is still a dream to drive. So overall it has been a mixed bag but a good journey so far.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 18th June 2020 at 04:17. Reason: Corrected typo.
knrn is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th June 2020, 00:01   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniyo View Post
Good to know you have a pleasant experience. However don't you think the clutch gave up early. I drive in Bangalore and my Brio (now sold) never had the clutch replaced. ODO when sold was 51K I think.
Normally clutch plates should last 70K.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
At what odo reading was the clutch replaced? I think that it should last for at least 60 to 80 k KMs in city driving, and more if driven more on highways. Unless you are living in a hilly area and drive regularly on ghat roads.
Agree, the clutch wear was premature. I replaced it at around 35K, could have stretched for another 5K. My daily drive is 10Kms between Bellandur and Maratahalli during peak traffic constantly half clutching and shifting between 1-2-3 gears. Under these conditions I expect 60K to be a more acceptable lifetime.
Jaguar is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th June 2020, 07:17   #144
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Seems like many people have serious reliability issues with their Hyundais, and was waiting for a proper platform to vent out their irritation where they will not be harassed. Never heard these many people replying with their issues.
Except for the Creta braking issues and service costs - I guess there was no generic complaint thread running - and Hyundai threads generally don't catch as much attention even from owners since most cars are not enthusiast centric either. I never even paid much attention to the final service bills - and now regret that - with a near 30k expense from HASS in the past 6 months!

IMHO - Owners, including me, had this tendency to brush-off issues as a one-off, given the huge popularity of Hyundai and the general perceived sophistication level of their cars for their respective price brackets. I know I did consider it my misfortune - when I was faced with major repairs last month - till BHPians DCEite and naveen.raju pointed out the relevant threads and their own experience.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 18th June 2020, 08:02   #145
BANNED

Quote:
It's not waiting to vent out, most of them were of the thought that the problem/issue is unique to their vehicle and is a one off case, even few owners blamed themselves and their driving styles thinking that it is their fault.

Especially in case of premature clutch wear, many thought it's either due to their driving style or due to the traffic conditions at their place, only those having experience with other brands were aware that it is a premature clutch wear.
wheelguy is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 18th June 2020, 09:23   #146
BHPian

I own a Hyundai Creta (Petrol Manual) 2019, June Manufacturing and it has only clocked 3800 Kms.

I have not faced any major issues apart from the slight resistance while going from 1st to 2nd gear.

It is as if till halfway through the resistance is present and then suddenly it shifts eagerly.

Not sure if it is due to less running so far.

Apart from that for the braking issue, I had a close encounter on the flyover while going towards Bengaluru airport where I had to brake at a short notice and the brakes worked as expected.

On Gravel or in water if you brake you can feel that screeching noise .

On mud if you brake hard the screeching noise and feel on the brakes is present but the vehicle halts as expected.

Please note that I am a sedated driver.

Last edited by Artyom : 18th June 2020 at 09:37. Reason: Grammer
Artyom is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th June 2020, 09:30   #147
BHPian

Thanks to CrAzY dRiVeR for starting this very informative thread and I know that lot of hard work coupled with patience would have gone to compile all.
Yes, I had similar experiences but back the information was not available as it is today. And yes, I thought that the issues are unique to my car.
This was a company provided car. Purchased brand new. The issues that I faced during my usage of 70K Km were, front right tie rod went kaput within few hundred km on ODO and that too when I was on highway and had to limp back home. This was replaced under warranty. Two, the steering lost the assistance and I was told that I had parked the car with the steering fully locked, although I hadn't. This was also attended under warranty. Third, around 40-45k km the clutch had to be replaced and the reason given was that I use half clutch
And the cost of paid servicing was very high. And all these experiences combine together vowed me to never touch a Hyundai again!
distiller is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th June 2020, 10:31   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
IMHO - Owners, including me, had this tendency to brush-off issues as a one-off, given the huge popularity of Hyundai and the general perceived sophistication level of their cars for their respective price brackets. I know I did consider it my misfortune - when I was faced with major repairs last month - till BHPians DCEite and naveen.raju pointed out the relevant threads and their own experience.
This is true in my case. I have a mid-2018 Creta SX AT Petrol with close to 20,000 km on the Odo. So far the experience has been smooth except a battery replacement 6 months ago. Hyundai replaced the battery under warranty, though they tried their best to find out if there are any aftermarket electrical accessories fixed (had none).

I had upgraded to Creta from a Grand i10 Diesel manual. In the 4 years of my ownership, ABS sensor and a brake cylinder went kaput on the 4th year. Had to pay from the pocket as the vehicle was out of warranty. Otherwise, the ownership experience was smooth.

Coming back to Creta, as many have mentioned, brakes in the AT is not confidence-inspiring. Hyundai brushes it off saying that it is the trait of ATs. I have driven other AT cars (sedan & hatchbacks) and never felt brakes this spongy. This is certainly an irritant which Hyundai is not paying attention to. Hope they've fixed this issue in the new generation.

Overall, I must say that the experience with the car and the brand is much pleasant compared to the Maruti and Mahindra cars I had earlier.
Indicruz is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th June 2020, 10:47   #149
BHPian

I own a 2014 elite i20. So far I have not faced any of the above listed issues with my car. I believed hyundais to be very reliable, but this post has made me more skeptical now. I have 2 issues in my car that have not been resolved till now despite repeated requests during service visits.
1. I hear the front right suspension coil spring vibrating when negotiating bumpy roads at very slow speeds.
2. When accelerating in 2nd and 3rd gear from low speeds, I occasionally hear a soft thud from underneath the car and a slight shudder can be felt.

I have not come across any other owner reporting these issues in any forums. So I think it's a one off.
Gildarts is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th June 2020, 10:51   #150
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
In my case, I didn't wait for this thread to open up to vent out my anger. My bad experience started with one particular HASS. For 3 years I controlled my patience then I lost it. I did close my eyes to minor issues and hiccups but couldn't tolerate major flaws.

I tried reaching out to Hyundai for years, but they never bothered to help. Then decided to open 3 separate threads here so that others will be informed on these.

If am scared of being harassed, I wouldn't have dropped in mails for 3 months, tried calling all their regional guys. They should be scared of being harassed . Me waiting for a chance to talk to someone from Hyundai
naveen.raju is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks