Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2020, 18:13   #91
BHPian

Re: Hyundai India - The occasional serious quality lapse and apathetic manufacturer response!

Being a 2015 fluidic Verna owner, I haven't faced any issues till now, other than a change of bushes once, and routine maintenance. The car has been rock solid reliable in 55000 kms, the 1.6 CRDI is creamy and punchy, zero niggles, and absolutely no rattles. So I am quite surprised by the list of issues mentioned by others.

However, we need to remember that Hyundai sells close to 40000 cars per month (pre-Covid), which is way above what other manufacturers sell. Also, Hyundai has been in India for a long time, so there will obviously be a huge cumulative number of cars on the road, and hence more complaints in total. What we need to see is the "complaints per 1000 cars sold" ratio.

The one nagging big complaint I have is against Advaith Hyundai Bannerghatta road (to be fair, their routine servicing has been excellent otherwise) calling me over and over again, over and over again, every few days, for the servicing. This is how it goes:

Advaith: Sir, your car is due for service, can I book it for tomorrow?
Me: What?? It's not time yet for my service
Advaith: Sir, 6 months are over
Me: What?? Service interval is 12 months, right? It's in the manual
Advaith: Sir, how many kilometers have you run? <Note: No response about service interval>
Me: <I tell the number, which is way below the 10000 kms duration>
Advaith: Oh. Ok sir, will call you in 10 days.
Me: NOOO!! Don't call me, I will call you when it's time. I know the schedule
Advaith: <faintly> Ok sir.

And then, they call me again in 10 days. Same conversation. I tell them that they called me just 10 days ago, and that I will call them. I cut the call.

Rinse and repeat.

I have put their number on my block list. But they manage to call me from multiple landline numbers. They send SMSs.

Needless to say, I have to tell them this every time during routine service:
* No engine flushing
* No PUC certificate, I will do it myself
* No Wheel alignment and balancing. I will do it myself

And then, they sneaked in an "Engine oil additive" last time. I asked them to show it to me in the manual. They said that "Hyundai recommends it". I ask them to send me an email on this. They immediately back off, and give me a credit for it for next service.

And then the worst - they insist on a 10/10 rating, saying that anything below will be considered a complaint by Hyundai. And they beg that when Hyundai calls me, to give them 10/10.

Last edited by PearlJam : 16th June 2020 at 18:24.
PearlJam is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 16th June 2020, 18:15   #92
BHPian

Re: Hyundai India - The occasional serious quality lapse and apathetic manufacturer response!

First of all, hats off to CrazyDriver. He deserves a pat on the back for such a humongous effort.

Me too had a Hyundai Getz (2005 model) and I never liked the car. The seat belt motor failed by the end of an year. There were leakages from the engine bay all the time. Though it is a 1.3 liter engine as per spec, the performance was below par. Like the puny Maruti 800 engine, the air conditioner has to be switched off with 3 people on-board before an overtaking. Then, some parts started rusting by 3rd or 4rth year. I sold it in the 5th year. Will think many times before buying a Hyundai again.

My next car is a Honday City (2010 model). Absolutely no problems till now. I am completely satisfied though I paid a higher amount initially. The long term ownership report can be seen here:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-...-years-up.html (Dream comes true -- Silver Honda City AT, now 10 years up!)

Last edited by B103 : 16th June 2020 at 18:18.
B103 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th June 2020, 18:20   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Sujai, appreciate in compiling this detailed thread. Super useful for all who thinks it's a "stress free ride when you buy an Hyundai". Well, it's definitely not. This totally reminds of Skoda many years back. Wonderful cars let down by pathetic after sales support. I wouldn't be surprised to see Hyundai in such a state few years from now.

My suggestion to TeamBHP:
1) This wonderful thread should be permanently pinned on the homepage.
2) On all Hyundai reviews, high time this statement to be replaced "Hyundai's competent after-sales & fuss-free ownership experiences" with "Hit or a miss - *post this thread's link* ".
+1 to the quote above

This is so concerning to see India's No.2 Car maker simply ignore such serious lapses caused by their products. People must be made aware of that fact that Hyundai blatantly is ignoring the safety of its customers and just busy marketing their bling side of its products(though the interiors of Hyundai are good, but that's not the only thing about owning a car right) and milking customer's hard earned money.

Another thought lingering in my head is that does Hyundai India actually test it's cars rigorously before launching them in India, because ABS sensors failing, pulley belt falling off at 20,000 kms and paint peeling just shows the lack of QA in their products.

I remember seeing somewhere that the paint quality for lower variant and higher variants vary a lot for Hyundai cars(especially white color). Is that true?

And thanks for compiling this eye-opening thread CrAzY dRiVeR. This thread reaffirms that we need to look at homegrown brands such as Tata/Mahindra or the Germans or Americans. They are actually capable and robust cars than the other brands. Agreed, no brand is ever perfect, but no company would ever compromise the safety of its customers.

Last edited by ajmat : 16th June 2020 at 21:56.
jithin23 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th June 2020, 19:30   #94
BHPian

My current drives

Hyundai Santro Xing XP
Hyundai Creta 1.6 VTVT SX

So far the cars have been very reliable. In my 1.5 lac km long ownership altogether, never spent a penny more on them other than the routine jobs. Even i have many Hyundais among family and close friends and never ever heard anyone fret over owning these. Hyundais to my sense are a perfect no nonsense beater cars and the reason they are selling in great numbers.

Some of the issues mentioned in the post appear to be blown out of proportion. Hope the sanity of this forum is not getting ruined by a propaganda. Cheers.

Last edited by hydraulicsteer : 16th June 2020 at 19:33.
hydraulicsteer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2020, 19:39   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydraulicsteer View Post
Hope the sanity of this forum is not getting ruined by a propaganda. Cheers.
All these issues mentioned here are not someone's imagination. Those were discussed earlier in different threads. No car or manufacturer is perfect. And every company operate to make profit. But here the problem is not just the niggles but the way Hyundai has addressed it. No media or auto magazine will discuss such things. That is where team bhp stands part.
NICHE is online now   (14) Thanks
Old 16th June 2020, 19:50   #96
bkc
BHPian

Quote:
My current drives

Some of the issues mentioned in the post appear to be blown out of proportion. Hope the sanity of this forum is not getting ruined by a propaganda. Cheers.
Almost all the issues in the post is substantiated with many examples, I don't think anybody would like to exaggerate the issue with their own car.

All manufacturers have some issues, example MSIL known for rattles, steering rack issues ( old models ), poor brakes in vdi (they made it good in later models).

Hyundai was known for accent crdi, then 1.5crdis turbo woes, but man, brakes not functioning is the most serious issue. Even 10 star safety is not enough without brakes.

Nothing against the brand but, this thread will surely make some noise in making cars safer for future/current owners.
bkc is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th June 2020, 20:06   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Happy to know that your vehicles are doing great, wish you many more miles full of happy motoring.
But I guess none of the issues listed here are out of proportions. Xcent/Grand i10 steering issue can be extremely dangerous. Braking issue is of even bigger intensity, and surprisingly its turning out to be a known issue when one starts to browse on the same. Whats incomprehensibly beyond logic is how Hyundai has just ignored such issues. Am more comfortable driving non ABS car whose limitations are habitual to me than driving a car which has serious braking issue. HOD of a department working with my previous employer got himself an Elite i20 petrol after trading in his Santro Xing. His petrol car is facing exactly the same engine issue as my diesel Grand i10. Power disappears suddenly, no CEL, and then after a few seconds power comes in wild. And it all happens without warning.

This isn't limited to India. My brother-in-law bought Santa Fe Turbo for my sister. Religiously run-in and one fine morning they were cruising on highway when engine blew up and he did regret buying Hyundai. Unlike their typical response in India, my brother-in-law got full repairs done absolutely free of cost. Having braking and steering related grave concerns is not digestible, even worse is not acknowledging them. A fire risk and cars are recalled in developed markets, why cant acknowledge the problems, organize a recall and fix things in India ?

Last edited by aaggoswami : 16th June 2020 at 20:10.
aaggoswami is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 16th June 2020, 20:06   #98
BHPian

I faced three issues in particular with my 2014 i20 CRDi which made me sell off the already not very fun to drive hatchback:

1. The brakes used to lock-up randomly (ABS kicking in) when going over a series of potholes. - ASS was not able to reproduce the issue so I had to live with it.
2. The clutch had almost given up at around 25K kms. - ASS blamed my driving style.
3. The AC condenser started leaking.

Also, the cost of servicing was around 12k per year which I felt was not worthy of what was being provided.
tweaker is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th June 2020, 20:12   #99
BHPian

Quote:
I will agree with your point that Hyundai cars are pretty reliable and have many totally satisfied owners. But some of the issues highlighted above in this thread cannot be brushed off as a one-off because they tend to be serious/ life-threatening in nature. Small issues or niggles can be taken on a lighter note

The purpose of this thread will be fulfilled if and when Hyundai India takes a note of the concerns expressed here and moves towards rectifying them. This can only lead to good cars becoming even better.
dr_davis97 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th June 2020, 20:16   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
After all, after so many issues and complaints - if not for a recall - at least the issue could be fixed for the next generation product? But no! Seltos owners have started reporting the same issue, and that means it will most likely become a nightmare for the new generation Creta owners as well!
I have a Seltos HTE Diesel with discs all around.
I have driven ABS equipped vehicles before but Seltos behaves differently on loose surfaces as follows:

1. On slow speeds on gravelly roads, when brake is applied just to slow down, the ABS gets noisy with clunking sounds during turns but no kicking at brake pedal.

2. When only one front wheel is on loose surface at about speeds of 30-40kmph the brake pedal became hard and subsequently brakes got disengaged for a second or two and engaged once again with same foot pressure on pedal.
Those two seconds were scary for one of the 3 to 4 incidences that occured to me (during the 5k km so far) when I was descending the Amba Ghat.

I haven't braked hard at high speeds, rather I have a habit of modulating because of non ABS previous car. On smooth surfaces with adequate grip and brake modulation there is no such thing as ABS.

Now looking at the issues I need to try different braking situations in the ongoing monsoon.

I request experts on the forum to shed some light on above behaviour.
Is it something to worry and raise an issue with the KASS?
H Karter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2020, 20:16   #101
BANNED

Quote:
Some of the issues mentioned in the post appear to be blown out of proportion. Hope the sanity of this forum is not getting ruined by a propaganda.
The thread starter is a moderator, and so are you accusing a propaganda by Team-BHP? Better try to understand this forum better.

The thread title itself says these issues are occasional (but serious). Whether it is occasional issues or you have taken a revenge on another brand, it doesn't mean we have to be silent about those serious issues. Hyundai has to correct it. That's it.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 16th June 2020 at 20:31.
romeomidhun is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 16th June 2020, 20:28   #102
BHPian

That is quite an effort @crazydriver.
I had missed this thread till I saw it in the homepage.
The thread is making me happy for having chosen a Skoda
That said, I have a first generation i10AT running fine for the last 9years. I guess I got into the Hyundai bandwagon just before all these problems started.
Deep Blue is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th June 2020, 20:31   #103
BHPian

This is a prime reason why Hyundai is turning a deaf ear to the customer complaints! As the number of sales far supersedes the issues reported by the existing customer complaints.
https://www.team-bhp.com/news/2nd-ge...ss-30000-mark\

Almost every new product of theirs is doing great. Even the Venue, the top-end of which costs a whopping 13.50L on-road is doing good numbers (atleast pre-COVID). But I guess it's about time that Hyundai starts acknowledging these issues, as it doesn't take much time to make or break any brand. And as always, I feel this is the right forum that the issues reach out to the right people in the Hyundai Management (if at all their interested in listening).
ashvek3141 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2020, 20:31   #104
BHPian

Very well compiled thread CrazyDriver

The only Hyundai I have owned is a 2003 Accent which had multiple issues pretty soon. Firstly the clutch failure at less than 30k kms and its the only clutch failure we have had in any car we have owned. Secondly, the AC simply stopped coping up with Delhi summers after 4 years, even though all services were done timely and regularly at Hyundai Service Centres it just couldn't cool the car enough. We had a swift diesel at that time and never had any cooling issue with the same driving conditions and temperature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlJam View Post

And then, they call me again in 10 days. Same conversation. I tell them that they called me just 10 days ago, and that I will call them. I cut the call.

Rinse and repeat.

I have put their number on my block list. But they manage to call me from multiple landline numbers. They send SMSs.
Well at least they give you 6 months time, Honda calls me every 3 months for the service even though I have told them multiple times that I use the car less than 500 kms monthly and I don't want to get the service done before 9-12 months. Never had this issue with VW though.
prateekchanana is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th June 2020, 20:45   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlJam View Post

However, we need to remember that Hyundai sells close to 40000 cars per month (pre-Covid), which is way above what other manufacturers sell. Also, Hyundai has been in India for a long time, so there will obviously be a huge cumulative number of cars on the road, and hence more complaints in total. What we need to see is the "complaints per 1000 cars sold" ratio.

By that logic Maruti sells roughly 3/4 times more cars than Hyundai. We haven't seen such issues there. I'm not saying there haven't been issues with Maruti cars but issues with brakes and steering are simply unpardonable. It puts lives at stake. All the gizmos, BHP/torque and looks are useless if a car can't stop on demand or can't be steered out of harm's way.

Quote:
My current drives

Hyundai Santro Xing XP
Hyundai Creta 1.6 VTVT SX

I can understand your anguish as you own two cars from their stable. But, so many people can't be wrong. Men generally have a tendency of sweeping under carpet any minor issues with their favorite cars and not exaggerate. If a certain brand car user is complaining about his ride, I would take that seriously. I was never a fan of Hyundai cars since beginning but fast forward to 2019-end and I fell in love with Seltos. Was warming up to the idea of buying a Kia. Then Creta came. I was aghast at its looks but that pano-roof pulled me like a magnet. I thought of taking a call on this after checking out Thar, Kicks and even sub-4 ones like Seltos, Brezza. But, this thread has made me run away from both Korean brands. Brake failures were a relic of the past which died with Ambassadors/Premiers. Since the days of humble Maruti800, we haven't heard of brake failures in a modern cars.
pgsagar is offline   (13) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks