Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2022, 16:11   #376

Re: My Mitsubishi Pajero Sport - A comprehensive review

Hello folks, came across this old thread (and spent my entire afternoon religiously reading up on everything) and absolutely thrilled to find the love for this amazing beast of a truck. I own a pre-worshipped Pajero Sports AT (2018 model), which I bought around June 2021. Ownership Review is in the works!

After spending a year and about 11k km with the car, I'm now looking at making a few upgrades. Looking for recommendations for the same, especially some stuff that folks here feel are "must-haves":

- Integrated DRL and indicator setup - thinking of getting one that Dev and others earlier showcased, but with the ban of aliexpress not sure where to get those from.
- Upgrading the stock lamps - wondering if I should just get an LED off of amazon (again not sure of which option, and also how DIY is the installation, would prefer to do some stuff myself).
Old 9th January 2022, 20:15   #377
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaoticTwist View Post
- Upgrading the stock lamps - wondering if I should just get an LED off of amazon (again not sure of which option, and also how DIY is the installation, would prefer to do some stuff myself).
I can recommend these - https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Superb quality, extremely satisfied with them, had them installed on both the PS's in my family. Night driving is very convenient with these, 4200k is the best color. Installing them is extremely easy and takes about 30mins end to end when you read the manual. There is space beneath the headlamps where you can conveniently put the ballasts, I will leave it on you to figure out the specifics and the extent you want to insulate/tie up the ballasts and the main bulb as well. In any case, do not touch the HID bulbs as hands are oily/dirty and that oil/dirt sticks to the bulb causing trouble later when the bulbs heat up, and they heat up on the extreme end.
Old 11th January 2022, 13:03   #378

Quote:
Originally Posted by baahubali View Post
I can recommend these - https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Superb quality, extremely satisfied with them, had them installed on both the PS's in my family. Night driving is very convenient with these, 4200k is the best color. Installing them is extremely easy and takes about 30mins end to end when you read the manual. There is space beneath the headlamps where you can conveniently put the ballasts, I will leave it on you to figure out the specifics and the extent you want to insulate/tie up the ballasts and the main bulb as well. In any case, do not touch the HID bulbs as hands are oily/dirty and that oil/dirt sticks to the bulb causing trouble later when the bulbs heat up, and they heat up on the extreme end.

Thank you for the recommendation, since I've not done much DIY, I was kinda hesitant of getting HIDs. I'll try to watch some videos on the swap and do some RTFM on this.
Also, another newbie question, what bulbs should be used exactly? I see D4/5/6/7, this is DH 11. Which beam does it work for lo or hi?
Old 11th January 2022, 15:23   #379
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for the recommendation, since I've not done much DIY, I was kinda hesitant of getting HIDs. I'll try to watch some videos on the swap and do some RTFM on this.
Also, another newbie question, what bulbs should be used exactly? I see D4/5/6/7, this is DH 11. Which beam does it work for lo or hi?
my above recommendation was for the projector setup that is low beam, projector gives a very neat cut on the light output. bulb type is H11 (DH11).
HID should not be used on high beam as that will blind the oncoming traffic. I went with stock bulbs on the high beam as the low beam did the job for me and provided enough visibility during night driving, I think they are H11s as well but best to check the manual. On a personal note, I would advice against using high power bulbs in high beam as it usually blinds the oncoming traffic and practically has very limited use cases on Indian roads as we mostly find oncoming traffic most of the times at night.
Old 11th January 2022, 15:27   #380

Quote:
Originally Posted by baahubali View Post
my above recommendation was for the projector setup that is low beam, projector gives a very neat cut on the light output. bulb type is H11 (DH11).
HID should not be used on high beam as that will blind the oncoming traffic. I went with stock bulbs on the high beam as the low beam did the job for me and provided enough visibility during night driving, I think they are H11s as well but best to check the manual. On a personal note, I would advice against using high power bulbs in high beam as it usually blinds the oncoming traffic and practically has very limited use cases on Indian roads as we mostly find oncoming traffic most of the times at night.
Thanks this helped a lot. As a last question, why would you pick HIDs over LED? Is there any specific points of comparison? I thought LEDs usually generated less heat, and so would be better.
I completely agree on not using these on hi beam part. I hate people who do that.
Old 13th January 2022, 01:36   #381
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks this helped a lot. As a last question, why would you pick HIDs over LED? Is there any specific points of comparison? I thought LEDs usually generated less heat, and so would be better.
I completely agree on not using these on hi beam part. I hate people who do that.
For me, LEDs can be tricky in a projector setup, unless you can find something that can really replicate the light output from a halogen/HID bulb based on their built, the light sharpness and brightness won't be as good. With HIDs in projector, I don't have to think twice about selecting the right design. Having said that, I haven't actually tried LEDs in a projector so practically I don't know how do they compare with HIDs in projector, but there are tons of videos on youtube comparing their performance.
Old 9th April 2022, 14:03   #382
BHPian

Hey Pajero Sport family on TBHP,

I am now the proud owner of a 2013 Pajero Sport

Background:
The vehicle was originally with a friend who was asked by his company to move to Canada. So, I decided to take the car off his hands (for a very good price I would say).

The vehicle has done 1,15,000 on the ODO and came with complete service history, original owner's manual, and even the original 2 keys .

Sharing a few pics:

My Mitsubishi Pajero Sport - A comprehensive review-img_20220314_170515.jpg

My Mitsubishi Pajero Sport - A comprehensive review-img_20220314_170842.jpg

My Mitsubishi Pajero Sport - A comprehensive review-img_20220314_173745.jpg

My Mitsubishi Pajero Sport - A comprehensive review-img_20220318_101844.jpg

My Mitsubishi Pajero Sport - A comprehensive review-img_20220318_102033.jpg

I plan on installing cruise control on my Pajero. Any idea where or from whom I can source the unit (in Bangalore preferably)? When I look online, I only see links to banned Chinese websites like alibaba, aliexpress. Any leads/ contacts will be highly appreciated.
sdubey23 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 12th April 2022, 18:14   #383

Congratulations!

I hope you enjoy your time with it! I still prefer driving the Pajero over the my 2019 civic.

As regards the cruise control, till the time Pajero dealerships were there you could have ordered one through them. I dont think even then they had it in their ready stock, it almost took a month for my order to come.

For you I would suggest if you can find someone in Thailand/ Malaysia/ Indonesia who can ship it across to india.

The installation part is very straightforward and any decent service guy should be able to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdubey23 View Post
Hey Pajero Sport family on TBHP,

I am now the proud owner of a 2013 Pajero Sport

Background:
The vehicle was originally with a friend who was asked by his company to move to Canada. So, I decided to take the car off his hands (for a very good price I would say).

The vehicle has done 1,15,000 on the ODO and came with complete service history, original owner's manual, and even the original 2 keys .

Sharing a few pics:

Attachment 2294498

Attachment 2294499

Attachment 2294500

Attachment 2294501

Attachment 2294502

I plan on installing cruise control on my Pajero. Any idea where or from whom I can source the unit (in Bangalore preferably)? When I look online, I only see links to banned Chinese websites like alibaba, aliexpress. Any leads/ contacts will be highly appreciated.
rahul27d is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th April 2022, 23:58   #384
BHPian

Thanks Rahul! Looking forward to creating more travel memories with the beast.

And thanks for the tip on sourcing the cruise control unit!

I know someone who will be traveling to India from Indonesia. I will ask the person to purchase it there and carry it with him.

However, when I tried searching for the part on Tokopedia and other popular sites, I only see units that are compatible with the automatic variant. I'm pretty sure the same will not work for the manual transmission.

Any way to find out if there is a separately unit for manual variants? A part number or something?

I'll try or get my friend there to contact some the dealerships and auto part suppliers and check if they have the unit in stock.

Last edited by sdubey23 : 12th April 2022 at 23:59. Reason: Mistakes
sdubey23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2022, 15:25   #385
BHPian

Quote:
However, when I tried searching for the part on Tokopedia and other popular sites, I only see units that are compatible with the automatic variant. I'm pretty sure the same will not work for the manual transmission.
Quote:
Congrats on the purchase! I got a pre owned PS in Dec and having a ball with it. It keeps plastering a smile everytime.
Additionally, I got the Cruise Control stuff installed as well and can give you the contact of the person I got it from, however, as per my usage, I have never really found it very useful

The unit itself works flawlessly, just that I do not find cruise control as a feature very useful. My drives are mostly highways long distance....

Also, there is no difference between the manual CC and the Auto CC, just that you would need an additional clutch switch for the manual CC to disengage when the clutch is pressed, whch is obviously absent in the auto version of the car. So effectively, for the manual version you would have a brake switch, a clutch switch and the CC setup which is put on the steering. For the auto version, its just the Brake switch and the CC setup.

Given that it has run 1.15L KMs, you should be looking to change the timing kit. @vigsom is the resident expert on all things Mitsubishi

Last edited by Sandy Damodaran : 23rd June 2022 at 15:29. Reason: Additional info
Sandy Damodaran is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th June 2022, 17:11   #386
BHPian

Congratulations on your ride Sandy.

Pajeros are turning out to be an excellent VFM buy these days.

Regarding cruise control, a seller from Delhi I met online quoted an exorbitant price (25-30k). I couldn't justify the investment in my mind and thought the money would be better spent on the maintenance and upkeep of the car. Pajero parts are not exactly cheap either

Regarding the timing belt, I believe the timing belt was proactively changed at 90k or 100k km by the owner. But, I, unfortunately, don't have a record anywhere of it being done despite having the complete service history for most of the car's life. I plan to take the preventive maintenance route and use the money saved on cruise control here. Can someone help me with a cost estimate for a timing belt change? Will help me plan my finances when I go for the next service, which is due at 120k km.

Speaking of preventive maintenance, the spare wheel hoist on my PS gave up. The reason was rusting due to the non-usage of the mechanism. It's temporarily fixed but needs replacement. My mech said the new unit would cost about ~10k depending on availability + labor charges. Alternatively, he offered to fix it by reconstructing the unit. Costs are about 6-7k roughly.

While contemplating the second option, I saw a post for Pajero Sport scrap parts on the Pajero Facebook group by a Delhi-based used parts seller called Sarbloh motors (I don't remember the exact name). I was hesitant initially thinking it'll be a scam. But there's no harm in enquiring. So, I messaged on WhatsApp, and the seller was kind enough to share pics and a video of the part in action. He agreed to sell the hoist for Rs. 3,000 + 300 shipping. I felt the cost savings were worth the risk and went ahead . The package arrived a few days ago, and I'm yet to check it out. Planning to get this fixed along with the upcoming 120k service. Will keep you folks posted.

Pic of the part shipped by the seller
Name:  Screenshot 20220624 at 5.04.02 PM.png
Views: 2552
Size:  851.8 KB

Another minor niggle in my car is the LED light on Rear AC button/ switch on the dashboard has stopped working. The button itself is working fine. So, not planning to do anything bout it.

Meanwhile, I'll leave you, my Pajero family with a few pics of the car from my recent trip to Ooty. Cheers

My Mitsubishi Pajero Sport - A comprehensive review-1653922625085.jpg

My Mitsubishi Pajero Sport - A comprehensive review-1653920179133.jpg

My Mitsubishi Pajero Sport - A comprehensive review-16539236088552.jpg

My Mitsubishi Pajero Sport - A comprehensive review-16539126656953.jpg

My Mitsubishi Pajero Sport - A comprehensive review-16525053090582.jpg

Last edited by sdubey23 : 24th June 2022 at 17:16.
sdubey23 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 29th June 2022, 09:38   #387

Team,

Since I will be owning a Pajero for a few years, Would like to know what all spare parts would need replacement between 30-100k since I am frequent flyer to middle east where Pajero spare part availability is still around would like to procure them and keep it and use it when required. Any heads up from previous owners would be of great help.

Regards
aadyavinay is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2022, 02:59   #388
BHPian

Hi Pajero fam,

I completed the 120,000 kms service on my Pajero Sport and completed a short trip to test the car Sharing my experience here with everyone:

Some precursor to the 120k kms service: Things that were changed/ fixed/ serviced at 100, 000 kms and didn't need to be done at 120k (minus oils, filters, service, etc):

My Mitsubishi Pajero Sport - A comprehensive review-screenshot_20220821010418306_com.google.android.apps.docs.jpg

Now about the 120k service:

Owing to some budget constraints, I had decided to do the 120k kms service in two sittings.

Things that were changed/ fixed/ serviced in Part 1:

My Mitsubishi Pajero Sport - A comprehensive review-img_20220821_010617.jpg

I supplied the engine oil (Shell Helix Ultra fully synthetic 5w 40) myself which I purchased on Amazon. I had an Amazon voucher for 10k (courtesy winner of the quarterly perfomer award at work) and I didn't have anything more important to spend on at the time.

The spare wheel winch which I had sourced from a scrap dealer in Delhi (check my previous post) was inspected and installed as well. The part worked perfectly fine. So saved some money there, I suppose

The 120k (Part 1) service was done at the same independent garage where the previous owner did the 100k one. The work was kinda decent. But after speaking with a few owners, fellow BHPians, and doing some independent research, I learnt that I had been overcharged by a good margin for the parts and labor at this garage .

So, based on a fellow BHPian's suggestion, I decided to try out Yes Motors Bosch service center in Whitefield for the remainder i.e., Part 2, the more expensive aspects of the 120k service.

I paid a visit to Yes Motors and met Mr. Selvam, who is the manager there. Right from the start, there was some positivity and warmness to this place. He was really knowledgeable about Pajeros and gave a clear explanation to every issue in the car and why it needed to be fixed. Later that evening I recieved a job quotation from him (check attach image below). He also provided good options and recommendations for reliable aftermarket components that provided good savings while also being reliable and safe. I approved the quotation and decided to carry out the works in one go.

Name:  IMG20220808WA00022.jpg
Views: 2342
Size:  111.1 KB

In addition to the above quotation, the air filter hose/ pipe had cracked and that was replaced as well. Also, some bearings, minor components here and there that are too small to list were also replaced.

The intresting bit is that all the parts were easy to source at reasonable costs. There was, however, a small wait time of 1-2 days for some parts. So, good news for pajero owners and anyone out there sitting on the fence regarding purchasing a Pajero.

A few pics of the center replaced components.

My Mitsubishi Pajero Sport - A comprehensive review-img_20220806_1315112.jpg

My Mitsubishi Pajero Sport - A comprehensive review-img_20220806_131828.jpg

My Mitsubishi Pajero Sport - A comprehensive review-img_20220806_131448.jpg

My Mitsubishi Pajero Sport - A comprehensive review-screenshot_20220821005752750_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg

My Mitsubishi Pajero Sport - A comprehensive review-screenshot_20220821005747980_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg

My Mitsubishi Pajero Sport - A comprehensive review-screenshot_20220821005737436_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg

I noticed a huge difference in the component prices and labor charges. It was far more reasonable than what I had paid earlier. And the overall experience and quality of work was excellent.

Kudos and a huge shout out to Yes Motors.

I drove the car to a friend's farm for the Independence day weekend. Total distance covered was about 360 kms. The car feels a lot smoother and there is a huge improvement in the NVH levels in the car. The biggest difference has be in the clutch, which has become feather light.

I think this big 120k service should keep my Pajero healthy and strong for a long time, and hoping it will serve me well for the years to come.

Closing this update with a few pics from the trip:

My Mitsubishi Pajero Sport - A comprehensive review-img_20220815_1214012.jpg

My Mitsubishi Pajero Sport - A comprehensive review-img_20220815_1216322.jpg

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
My Mitsubishi Pajero Sport - A comprehensive review-img_20220806_131511.jpg  

Last edited by Aditya : 24th August 2022 at 22:18. Reason: Typo; extra smileys deleted
sdubey23 is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 24th August 2022, 16:06   #389
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Quote:
The interesting bit is that all the parts were easy to source at reasonable costs. There was, however, a small wait time of 1-2 days for some parts. So, good news for pajero owners and anyone out there sitting on the fence regarding purchasing a Pajero.
Cheers!
This piece of information brings joy to my heart. Thank you so much! Decent condition ATs from 2015-16 can be bought for less than 10L.
Old 26th August 2022, 17:17   #390

Quote:
So, good news for pajero owners and anyone out there sitting on the fence regarding purchasing a Pajero
Thanks! I am the one presently on the fence - (Should I buy a Used Mitsubishi Pajero Sport with only 18k on the odo?) and this info indeed helps!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks