Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2014, 19:53   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Sherpa - My Mahindra Thar CRDe 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by swami69 View Post
Hi Ruchirnt - I have covered the floor area of my Thar with noodle mat. It is thick and I am sure it reduces road noise to an extent and also you won't see any dirt. The dirt just settles down. You can take it off and pat it and the dust will fall freely. It also gives you a nice cushion kind of a feeling when you step in.

I have not seen my internals of the tool box dirty. So far it is fine. I have put in some bits and pieces of the noodle mat in between the tools inside the tool box and I have no rattling. It is kind of packed inside.

Swami
Could you post a picture of the Noodle Mat?
I have added a removable carpet below the stock mats for insulation.
And Wrapped the tools in a thick cloth, and put them in the storage to avoid rattles.
Old 21st December 2014, 21:03   #62
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Could you post a picture of the Noodle Mat?
I have also installed noodle/nomad mats. They are good and absorb. You can dust 'em out later.

Have a look here

@Blackpearl - You coming this side?
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2015, 17:04   #63
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
@Blackpearl - You coming this side?
Did a 1600 Km road trip with the Thar, went to Kurseong and Ghoom. We went via NH34 and came back via Bhagalpur route. Too bad @Sheel that we could not meet this time, but definitely next time.

The Thar was quite good to drive in the hills. I could not feel the lack of torque in the low RPMs like others have mentioned and that too with 7 people on board at one point of time. However I feel Bolero with the Di engine is easier to drive than the Thar in the hills. It is a different scenario on the highway.
Old 3rd January 2015, 17:52   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreethamB View Post
One way is to lay PVC mat to cover the whole floor. This helps in isolating road noise as well as reducing rattles from the tool kit kept in the lockable storage area, while making it waterproof.
Thanks. Will keep that in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swami69 View Post
Hi Ruchirnt - I have covered the floor area of my Thar with noodle mat. It is thick and I am sure it reduces road noise to an extent and also you won't see any dirt. The dirt just settles down. You can take it off and pat it and the dust will fall freely. It also gives you a nice cushion kind of a feeling when you step in.

I have not seen my internals of the tool box dirty. So far it is fine. I have put in some bits and pieces of the noodle mat in between the tools inside the tool box and I have no rattling. It is kind of packed inside.

Swami
I have 3M noodle mats laid outside all bathroom doors. I will pick them for Thar
Thanks for clarifying that there is no specific need to cover the toolbox.
Old 13th February 2015, 13:30   #65
BANNED

congratulations, the Jeep looks amazing. Black Alloys make it look mean.
sukhi29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2015, 12:33   #66

What a fantastic writeup Sumitro , anyone looking for the Thar should really read this, I am saving this writeup link , to be forwarded to others. Welldone
Cloudmobile_deb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2015, 00:09   #67
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhi29 View Post
congratulations, the Jeep looks amazing. Black Alloys make it look mean.
Thanks sukhi29!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudmobile_deb View Post
What a fantastic writeup Sumitro , anyone looking for the Thar should really read this, I am saving this writeup link , to be forwarded to others. Welldone
Thanks a lot Rishi Da, I remember the day I saw the first Thar on the Kolkata roads and desperately tried to stop it

It has been a long time since I updated the thread. I have not driven the Thar much specially compared to the Bolero. After four and half months of ownership the odo stands at 7000 kilometers. This includes a trip to Kurseong and Darjeeling and another to Borong and Baiguney in Sikkim. I have not been able to put up the travelogues, so putting up a few pictures of the Thar from those trips.

The Sherpa - My Mahindra Thar CRDe 4x4-dsc_2670.jpg

The Sherpa - My Mahindra Thar CRDe 4x4-dsc_2698.jpg

The Sherpa - My Mahindra Thar CRDe 4x4-dsc_2836.jpg

The Sherpa - My Mahindra Thar CRDe 4x4-dsc_2876.jpg

Though it is too early to comment, the Thar has been reliable till now. First servicing was done at 5000 Kms. The ride height at the front was increased a bit and a Rs. 12 coolant hose pipe clip was changed.
BlackPearl is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 26th March 2015, 01:41   #68
BANNED

I see tyres bulging out. . . Aftermarket fitment?? What brand?
Old 26th March 2015, 12:20   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post

Though it is too early to comment, the Thar has been reliable till now. First servicing was done at 5000 Kms. The ride height at the front was increased a bit and a Rs. 12 coolant hose pipe clip was changed.
Why was the ride height increased at front and how?
Old 26th March 2015, 13:07   #70
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
Why was the ride height increased at front and how?
Because by default Mahindra cars are slanted towards the front. So the torsion bar has to be rotated in order to level the cars with ground.
It also helps in stability as wheels dont touch The underbody And/fender flares. My jeep stock tyres used to tough underbody whenever i would brake. Later on getting 31 Inch tyres, it became irritating. So i got it adjustrd.
it gives a better stance and ride quality too.
Old 26th March 2015, 13:20   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
Thanks sukhi29!

What was the height before and what is the current height maintained.?

Regards

Shenoy
Old 26th March 2015, 15:14   #72
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivshanker View Post
What was the height before and what is the current height maintained.?

Regards

Shenoy
Current height varies with models. When i purchased mine, there were two others in showroom, both with different heights!
ride height is different for different vehicles.

the only way to increase ride height is to get the torsion bar adjusted by a good mechanic. An amatuer mechanic may increase It unevenly (right and left heights may differ and the car will lean towards one particular side)

so go to a mechanic who has experience on thar.

caution: Wrong torsion bar adjustment will result in bumpy ride (yes the ride has scope to get more bumpier) and other problems like - Suspension and axle bust.

first - Go and get the torsion bar adjusted. If the ride quality is stiff, then immediately get it adjusted back or it will wreck your suspension and/or axle. So now your ride height is ideal.
second - Get it checked after two weeks. It should almost be level with ground, little bit leaning towards front.
Do not, i repeat, do not raise it too much and stiffen ride quality in the process.

Last edited by sukhi29 : 26th March 2015 at 15:22.
Old 26th March 2015, 15:33   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Current height varies with models. When i purchased mine, there were two others in showroom, both with different heights!
ride height is different for different vehicles.
I am looking at the height adjustment for the Thar and understand that different models in the showroom will have different specifications.

Since I own a Thar .. oops sorry the Thar owns me!, I would like to know what was the measured value before the change and what value did you set it to.
Old 26th March 2015, 15:39   #74
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivshanker View Post
I am looking at the height adjustment for the Thar and understand that different models in the showroom will have different specifications..
There is a small piece of round metal between the upper arm and chassis (visible if you kneel down in front of the vehicle ), the stock setting is "one index finger" gap between these plates. Ensure it is equal on both sides also always check alignment after you set the torsion bar to avoid any tyre wear issues.

My Thar is not with me for few days, once its is back i can share a picture.

Last edited by Jaggu : 26th March 2015 at 15:41.
Jaggu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th March 2015, 00:29   #75
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I see tyres bulging out. . . Aftermarket fitment?? What brand?
Those are stock tyres on stock rims, but I have removed the plastic cladding. Hence the tyres are bulging out.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks