Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2016, 18:19   #106
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Sherpa - My Mahindra Thar CRDe 4x4

25000 Kilometer update:

Completed 25K mark during the recent team bhp trip to Gadiara, West Bengal.
Got the servicing done this weekend at Mohan Motors. Nothing special to report except that the stabiliser bar link rods were changed -

The Sherpa - My Mahindra Thar CRDe 4x4-img_20160213_115247.jpg
BlackPearl is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th February 2016, 18:37   #107
Senior - BHPian

[quote=BlackPearl;3603156]
The Sherpa - My Mahindra Thar CRDe 4x4-dsc_2571-1.jpg
Now I understood as to what inspired the Aventura designers.

Last edited by rajeev k : 16th February 2016 at 18:42.
rajeev k is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th May 2016, 01:17   #108
Team-BHP Support

After contemplating for one and a half years, finally got the after-market wheel arches for the Thar today -

The Sherpa - My Mahindra Thar CRDe 4x4-img_20160506_145618.jpg

Apart from this, nothing to report. It is close to 30K kilometers on the Odo and the Thar has been running as good as new

Last edited by BlackPearl : 7th May 2016 at 01:37.
BlackPearl is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th May 2016, 10:24   #109
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
It is close to 30 thousand kilometers on the odometer and the Thar has been running as good as new.
Dear Blackpearl - hello to you. 30,000 kms is nothing, it will do 300,000 kms! Why did you change the stabilizer bar links, were they making squeaking noise or did they develop excessive clearance in the ball joints?

I have named your vehicle as the "Sandakphu Conqueror". I had gone there during evaluation with "a certain black colored prototype with lots of goodies in it" (), so I can relate to your experience. It just sprinted all the way up there, it also overtook some Landrovers, much to the surprise of the local operators. Production vehicles still do not have all "those goodies"! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th May 2016, 19:58   #110
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Blackpearl - hello to you. 30,000 kms is nothing, it will do 300,000 kms! Why did you change the stabilizer bar links, were they making squeaking noise or did they develop excessive clearance in the ball joints?
Hello Behram Sir, that is some assurance! The stabilizer bar links were changed as I had complained of a bit of play in the steering.

Quote:
I have named your vehicle as the "Sandakphu Conqueror". I had gone there during evaluation with "a certain black colored prototype with lots of goodies in it" (), so I can relate to your experience. It just sprinted all the way up there, it also overtook some Landrovers, much to the surprise of the local operators. Production vehicles still do not have all "those goodies"! .
Thanks a lot. Regarding the sprinting upto Sandakphu part, the black prototype and its driver both were special. The Sherpa and its driver will never be up to that mark
Old 10th May 2016, 06:05   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I had gone there during evaluation with "a certain black colored prototype with lots of goodies in it" (), so I can relate to your experience.
Sir, I have a doubt, for a product evaluation to be fair, don't you think we should test a prototype which is a close to the production model than with all those goodies. Unless your evaluation purpose was something different.
Old 10th May 2016, 15:18   #112
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
Sir, for a product evaluation to be fair, don't you think we should test a prototype which is a close to the production model than with all those goodies. Unless your evaluation purpose was something different.
Dear Ecenandu - hello to you. Yes, you are correct. My intention was to launch the vehicle with all the goodies, because together, they made the Super-Thar! I need not have tested them also, the goodies were all proven aggregates of the Scorpio, there was absolutely nothing ground-up, because the whole thing was (and still is) a Scorpio in disguise in the first place! My whole intent of doing Sandakphu was to monitor the enhanced performance due to the reduced weight as compared to the baseline Scorpio, the result was awesomely blistering, to say the least. This gave me a lot of confidence, which got reinforced, when it established supremacy in the EXAMM / AKC outings. But then, at the end of the day, I had to meet BS4 in the applicable inertia class! So, what met the CMVR got launched. Major goodies got left out. Then I strategized that I would use a very popular jargon called "running change" to slowly get the goodies in, step-by-step through the DFO (dealer fitment option) route because I saw huge business here! And, by the way, there is no rocket science in guessing what the goodies were! Try it, you'll get it. Very few TeamBHPians know, they have built a few vehicles also! .

Dear Black Pearl - thanks, feels nice I say! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th July 2016, 08:10   #113

Hello to you BlackPearl, and other veteran Tharians!
After my frantic cries for help to you all, which was answered with doles of assurance and help (thumbs up to all of you), I talked to the dealerships and realised that - a) the 4x2 versions are BS-III and I cannot get one registered in Kolkata. That means endless episodes of a constable signalling me to stop tantalisingly close to a waiting traffic sergeant and that many heartbeats skipped, not to mention the other collateral damages.
b) I will have to either get the money to buy the CRDe or wait for M&M's decision to add back the 4x2 in BS IV variation.
Now you might ask me, why am I so hell bent on the Thar, especially since I've been a sedan/hatch person all through? Well, let me share a dark secret of mine - Lately it is becoming increasingly difficult to restrain myself from hijacking one of them Thars which happen to be in my vicinity at any traffic signal. The allure is too much! The raw looks are impossible to not ogle, and risk an accident on the move! So in order to save myself from performing a criminal act, I have to get a Thar for myself. Second, I have been driving for nearly 25 years now. But I have never really felt the thrill of looking at things from a SUV perspective. From now on, till my driving days are over, I have decided to drive for myself. And that means driving a jeep, which was always in my dreams but never realised.
So, I have decided to get a Thar in January, preferably on the 1st of Jan, to give myself a New Year's gift.
Talks with a dealership are in, and I will book my Thar by the end of this month.
So there you go, 5 months hence, I will hopefully share with you the experience with my new Thar.
In the meantime, I need all your knowledge to help me in the following matters-
1. What kind of mileage can I expect from this new 2016 version? I read somewhere that 13-ish is the standard for normal city driving.
2. What are the absolutely must accessories to buy for normal city drives and what kind if money do I have to set aside for them?
3. How good are the stock tyres? I remember my Figo had terrible ones and I had them replaced by Yokohama A-Drives first thing.
4. What extra measures can be taken to minimise road vibrations?
As always, TBHP has been my stellar source of all things car. And you Tharians have a special place in my heart, for it must be some of your passion which rubbed off to get me going.
Best regards.
sandeepest is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2016, 09:55   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepest View Post
In the meantime, I need all your knowledge to help me in the following matters-
1. What kind of mileage can I expect from this new 2016 version? I read somewhere that 13-ish is the standard for normal city driving.
2. What are the absolutely must accessories to buy for normal city drives and what kind if money do I have to set aside for them?
3. How good are the stock tyres? I remember my Figo had terrible ones and I had them replaced by Yokohama A-Drives first thing.
4. What extra measures can be taken to minimise road vibrations?
As always, TBHP has been my stellar source of all things car. And you
Best regards.
No veteran - but I was helped with all my questions by Veterans here - Samurai, Jaggu and others. So time to respond back on questions
1. I have the 2011 Thar - the internals have not changed so you can expect the similar mileage - about 10-ish with AC. W/O AC you could get about 11. This is in Bangalore traffic
2. None - I did not even buy the music system to begin with. The Thar from Factory can be driven as is - these days you are getting a better Thar with better interiors. So there are no absolutely must have accessories. You can always add all you want later.
3. The stock tyres are the best for city driving.
4. Again mostly get your doors set properly - ensure the beading is proper - thats about it.
carrot_eater is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2016, 11:16   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrot_eater View Post
No veteran - but I was helped with all my questions by Veterans here - Samurai, Jaggu and others. So time to respond back on questions
1. I have the 2011 Thar - the internals have not changed so you can expect the similar mileage - about 10-ish with AC. W/O AC you could get about 11. This is in Bangalore traffic
2. None - I did not even buy the music system to begin with. The Thar from Factory can be driven as is - these days you are getting a better Thar with better interiors. So there are no absolutely must have accessories. You can always add all you want later.
3. The stock tyres are the best for city driving.
4. Again mostly get your doors set properly - ensure the beading is proper - thats about it.
Thanks Carrot_eater!
Old 1st November 2016, 15:53   #116
Team-BHP Support

Another year passed by and the Thar turned two today. Odometer stands at 31K kilometers. It has been a fun filled and reliable journey so far.

The Sherpa - My Mahindra Thar CRDe 4x4-img_4300.jpg
Old 23rd July 2017, 19:22   #117
Team-BHP Support

This thread has not been updated for a long time. Recently we did a Himachal trip till Losar and the Thar faced some of the most challenging roads. But it has performed flawlessly. I will put up a travelogue for the trip. Till then, a teaser pic

The Sherpa - My Mahindra Thar CRDe 4x4-dsc_3224.jpg

Got the 40,000 kilometers servicing done last week and it has been the most expensive till date at Rs. 12,300 . Labour charge of Rs. 6820 seems to be extremely high. I am not sure if it the post GST effect. Posting pics of the bill, sorry for the poor quality.

The Sherpa - My Mahindra Thar CRDe 4x4-img_20170717_230038001.jpg

The Sherpa - My Mahindra Thar CRDe 4x4-img_20170717_230048001.jpg
Old 24th July 2017, 09:46   #118
BHPian

BlackPearl, thanks for the updates. And the pristine picture.

I ask you as you have a similar rear bumper (from the Expedition Kit) like mine. The "Latch" tends to come off in mine after driving some kilometers on rough patches, and results in the pin even coming off! Any solutions? I am getting a bit frustrated and am thinking of reverting to the Mahindra-supplied original rear bumper.
johy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2017, 14:54   #119
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by johy View Post
BlackPearl, thanks for the updates. And the pristine picture.
Thanks Johy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johy View Post
I ask you as you have a similar rear bumper (from the Expedition Kit) like mine. The "Latch" tends to come off in mine after driving some kilometers on rough patches, and results in the pin even coming off! Any solutions? I am getting a bit frustrated and am thinking of reverting to the Mahindra-supplied original rear bumper.
This had never happened to my Thar in the past two and half years before this Himachal trip. In this trip, just after crossing Tabo, I heard a sound coming from the back of the car. Rajsri immediately got down to check and found that the pin had come off. Since this was the first time, I thought that someone might have done it when the vehicle was parked outside overnight. But this kept on happening frequently after that. So I wrapped the pin with a scotch tape and inserted it back with a lot of force. After that it did not come off. Later I found out another solution. If you put the chain holding the pin inside the latch, then it will not allow the pin to come out due to jerking. I will upload a pic once I go home for more clarity.
BlackPearl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2017, 14:45   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
Thanks Johy!

Since this was the first time, I thought that someone might have done it when the vehicle was parked outside overnight.
And I thought I was the only one whose Thar was attempted to be opened. I even got the parking people at my office to look at CCTV footage - I look forward to your picture.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks