Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2015, 01:51   #31
Senior - BHPian

re: My Sunset Orange Mahindra XUV500 AWD W10. EDIT : AWD Experience With Pictures & Videos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adu View Post
I have to agree with fusionbang regarding the low fuel warning indicator inb the pre facelift model. I have a July 2014 manufactured W8 and it has a fuel indicator that lights up a stays on till you refuel in addition to the blinking of the last bar of the fuel gauge.

It could also be that the later versions came with this option which was not available in the 2012 model.
Hello, Yes i think Mahindra must have silently added this feature lateron, Since i had bought the vehicle in 2012 and i just made sure with another friend who also has a 2012 model and even his car does not have the low fuel indicator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Congrats on the purchase. A very detailed review.

During launch when I saw sunset orange XUV pics I was of the impression that it may look awkward. However, was able to check out Sunset orange XUV few days back at showroom and liked the shade. I somehow felt it looked bit darker than in pics.

This warning light is present in older XUV also, it comes up when DTE is less than 100 KM. Usually the fuel gauge will be having around 2 blocks in this case, the blinking fuel gauge comes up only once it comes down to one block.

However, it is strange that the same is not present in your old XUV. You can see the warning light in my XUV (2014 May model) in this pic.

The same is missing in old XUV's official review, guess M&M added the feature later.
Hello, Thank you very much, And yes the sunset orange color seems to be really dark at times specially in the night if the surrounding is not lit well, The color actually looks a bit brownish, Which also can be seen in one of the pic's i have posted showing the light guides on, But eventually it grows on you, It did for me, And i quite like a different color now, If not love it.
Yup it seems the low fuel indicator was not present in the earlier batches of the XUV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailBlazer007 View Post
Congrats on your renewed love affair!Wish you many more highway miles with smiles.

This thread got me wondering if the new HU can be installed on the pre facelift model.Or what parts of the dash can be replaced.Hate the current shiny plastic, reflecting fiasco.
Anyone made any inquiries?
Hello, Thank you very much. I don't really think if the new HU can be installed in the previous version, Or even if it would be possible, I don't think any Mahindra service center would be willing to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miharbe View Post
Excellent Review Mate! Congratulations for owning the best Made by India vehicle in the country today!

Nice garage you have there with the Jetta and the XUV 5OO! Like many here even i loved the comparison between the vehicles. As different as they may be comparisons between your own vehicles are bound to happen!

Really love the orange shade. Mahindra has got it perfect else this is one shade that doesnt look good on all vehicles.

Mahindra should offer the Automatic version soon. The W10 + AWD + AT should be a killer package and has the potential to shake up vehicles from a couple of segments above.
Hello, Thanks mate. Yes both car's from different segments all together but comparison as you said is bound to happen. I had really wished it was launched with the AT, But unfortunately not for now, Maybe sometime later this year and i could not wait that much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
Congrats on the XUV! That's one of the most comprehensive reviews written about the XUV. I once sat in a friend's XUV and what impressed me was the comfort level and the interior space. I like the previous version as well, but the new version is in a different league altogether. Since you cover a lot of distance on the highways, the XUV definitely is a perfect choice for the commute. How does the infotainment system work? Is the sound quality good or is there scope for improvement?

All the best with your new car!
Thank you very much for the appreciation. Yes the comfort level is really good, There is lot of space in the front and second row, The seats provide good support overall aswell. The new infotainment system is in one word, "Amazing". Touch responsiveness is really good, Better than my Jetta's RCD 510. Coming to its features, There are many, From changing wallpaper's, Several sources to play audio from, Video quality is very good etc. The speakers are almost same, But they sound really clear now, The bass is weak, But i think its okay for the usual Bollywood music.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2015, 06:46   #32
BHPian

re: My Sunset Orange Mahindra XUV500 AWD W10. EDIT : AWD Experience With Pictures & Videos!

Hi Tanveer congrats on your new XUV. Wish you many happy miles with your new XUV. Nice to see Suset Orange looking different in different shades of light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
I cannot see anything apart from one single wire which goes under the dashboard, And no its not connected to the 12V charger point. Also the speed shown on the heads-up display is exactly the same what the speedometer shows.
Head Up Display will be connected to the car OBD connector located under the dashboard (below the steering).
vsun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2015, 09:35   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558;3738550

[B
Gearshifts:[/b] Still notchy. I am having a tough time engaging the 1st gear from a complete halt. I have to either slot the car in 2nd and then in 1st or pick up the car directly from the second gear. All the other gears are just okay. Also, I am facing an issue - accelerating the car in the 4th gear makes the gear knob vibrate a lot, which is really weird. It happens only in the 4th and 6th gears. It doesn't vibrate in any other gear. Planning to get it checked out during the first servicing. After driving the Jetta with its manual stick, I actually hate the gearshifts of XUV, but I can't really say because both are really different cars. Gearshifts in the Jetta are just amazing, which might also be the reason why I hate the gearshifts in the XUV. Anyone who hasn't driven a Jetta MT might actually find the gearshifts in the XUV to be OK, if not very good.
Change the gear oil immediately, these gear boxes sit on the tarmac for a long time and the oil is not up to the mark.

you will see the difference,
shivshanker is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2015, 09:54   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations Tanveer! Wishing you many more happy and pleasant miles on this XUV 5OO.

I too got exact same colour and variant, minus the AWD. And now I am in fix - you have beaten me to ownership thread! I now have another reason to delay posting my ownership thread

Here is a glimpse of what I have with me now -

My Sunset Orange Mahindra XUV500 AWD W10. EDIT : 40000 km service update-fullsizerender-5.jpg

I have observed that some of the panel gaps and unevenness on the panels are still visible when you pay close attention. Is that the case with you too? I will post detailed pics on my ownership thread in a week's time (when i write one).

And being first timer to XUV5OO, I am taking my time to get used to the diesel engine and gear shifts as well as many other functions of the car. For the time being I have just switched off the Micro Hybrid function. The running in period will be without this auto start-stop function to let engine exercise a bit without stretching too much.
abirnale is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th July 2015, 18:50   #35
BHPian

Lovely review Tanveer. The Sunset Orange looks fabulous.

Hope to see your XUV in person if you are in PR anytime.
iceman7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2015, 21:18   #36
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Tanveer,

Congratulations for the new age XUV in Orange!

Amazingly detailed thread. Lovely observations comparing the new age XUV with the previous generation as well as with the Jetta.

Would look forward to your posts in this thread and more finer observations about the new XUV as compared to the old one as and when you come across them.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2015, 22:26   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsun View Post
Hi Tanveer congrats on your new XUV. Wish you many happy miles with your new XUV. Nice to see Suset Orange looking different in different shades of light.

Head Up Display will be connected to the car OBD connector located under the dashboard (below the steering).
Hello, Thank you very much. Yes the sunset orange has different shades under different lighting condition's, I have a few trips planned, So will click more picture's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivshanker View Post
Change the gear oil immediately, these gear boxes sit on the tarmac for a long time and the oil is not up to the mark.

you will see the difference,
Hello, I had given the complaint regarding this issue during the feedback call i received, And lateron i got a call from the service center saying they will change the gear oil during the 5000 km's servicing of the car, Which i anyways plan to do it near 4000 km's itself. So will wait it out till then and i hope the issue would be gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
Congratulations Tanveer! Wishing you many more happy and pleasant miles on this XUV 5OO.

I too got exact same colour and variant, minus the AWD. And now I am in fix - you have beaten me to ownership thread! I now have another reason to delay posting my ownership thread

Here is a glimpse of what I have with me now -

Attachment 1390060

I have observed that some of the panel gaps and unevenness on the panels are still visible when you pay close attention. Is that the case with you too? I will post detailed pics on my ownership thread in a week's time (when i write one).

And being first timer to XUV5OO, I am taking my time to get used to the diesel engine and gear shifts as well as many other functions of the car. For the time being I have just switched off the Micro Hybrid function. The running in period will be without this auto start-stop function to let engine exercise a bit without stretching too much.
Hello, Thank you very much, And congratulations to you as well on owning this great desi beast. How are you liking the the sunset orange? Also any specific reason you did not opt for the black side body strips? It kinda looks good in contrast with the color of the car i feel, And there is no reason to delay your ownership thread, I am really looking forward for it , And yes the panel gaps are present in mine too.

You will be used to the car soon, And trust me you will really like it, The gearshifts and the engine would also get even smoother after the 5000 km's servicing. I just tried the start-stop function a few times and i loved it this time, Its really silent now, In the previous version it was very noisy and used to shudder a lot, Also please do notice when you use the start-stop system, If the AC throw's out cool air while the engine is in the standby mode. Thanks and congrats again looking forward for your ownership review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman7 View Post
Lovely review Tanveer. The Sunset Orange looks fabulous.

Hope to see your XUV in person if you are in PR anytime.
Hello again, Thank you very much. Yes for sure, Just drop me a message anytime your going to be at PR, Its anyways really close to my place and then you can surely see it in person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Tanveer,

Congratulations for the new age XUV in Orange!

Amazingly detailed thread. Lovely observations comparing the new age XUV with the previous generation as well as with the Jetta.

Would look forward to your posts in this thread and more finer observations about the new XUV as compared to the old one as and when you come across them.
Hello SDP, Thank you very much, I am glad you liked it. I will be surely keeping this thread updated and will be adding more details as i keep driving the beast.
Old 9th July 2015, 13:27   #38
BNM
BHPian

Excellent review. If Mahindra somehow gets the dashboard right with one texture and evens out all the gaps both in the plastics and the body panels which I guess is the main reason for the unnecessary rattling sounds, they will have a much bigger fan following. They are at 90% - just that they have to go that extra 10% in quality improvement.

They should also come up with the AT version in the next facelift and also sort out all the niggles (if any) on the Scorpio before introducing it on the XUV. And finally get rid of that ugly chrome around the fog lamps.
BNM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2015, 03:36   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNM View Post
Excellent review. If Mahindra somehow gets the dashboard right with one texture and evens out all the gaps both in the plastics and the body panels which I guess is the main reason for the unnecessary rattling sounds, they will have a much bigger fan following. They are at 90% - just that they have to go that extra 10% in quality improvement.

They should also come up with the AT version in the next facelift and also sort out all the niggles (if any) on the Scorpio before introducing it on the XUV. And finally get rid of that ugly chrome around the fog lamps.

Hello, Thank you! They have sorted most of the interior issues, I have my finger's crossed so that no rattling sounds comeup. Yes the panel gaps are still present but that surely isn't a deal breaker, And yes i just wished they had gone ahead with the remaining 10% for the quality improvement as well. AT version is nearby, But i highly doubt there would be any other changes, And have to live with that ugly chrome around the fog lamps.
Old 10th July 2015, 09:38   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
What I didn't:
Engaging 1st gear is a pain, hope it goes away after the 5,000 kms checkup
Thanks for penning down a wonderful review.
With regards to you grouse above, here is a helpful suggestion given to me by fellow Team-BHPian Vikram, during my ownership of the Scorpio.

Quote:
During a cold start, pump the clutch [depress fully!] a couple of times before engaging the gears. Then, go thru the entire range once [1-2-3-4-5-R], before you again put it in 1st and move off. This sounds tedious, but won't take even a minute. I know it doesn't make sense, but I've been following this routine from day 1 and my gear shifts have been always pretty smooth and snag free [touchwood!].
Link :
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2449161

Although the vehicles are different, maybe there is some similarity in the genes, coming from the same family.
benbsb29 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th July 2015, 14:51   #41
Senior - BHPian

My Sunset Orange Mahindra XUV500 AWD W10

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Thanks for penning down a wonderful review.
With regards to you grouse above, here is a helpful suggestion given to me by fellow Team-BHPian Vikram, during my ownership of the Scorpio.

Link :
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2449161

Although the vehicles are different, maybe there is some similarity in the genes, coming from the same family.

Hello, Thank you! Will surely try it and will post here, It would hardly take a minute or so and if the gearshifts behave well after it, I dont mind. Though i hope its gone permanently after the 5000 km servicing. Till then ill give it a shot.
Old 12th July 2015, 13:10   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Hello, Thank you! They have sorted most of the interior issues, I have my finger's crossed so that no rattling sounds comeup. Yes the panel gaps are still present but that surely isn't a deal breaker, And yes i just wished they had gone ahead with the remaining 10% for the quality improvement as well. AT version is nearby, But i highly doubt there would be any other changes, And have to live with that ugly chrome around the fog lamps.
Regarding rattling sounds, Bhpian Diesel9999 had mentioned in his thread and also attached the video of some quality niggles from M&M. Hhttp://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...es-home-3.htmlere is the link

Old 13th July 2015, 14:19   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilay View Post
Regarding rattling sounds, Bhpian Diesel9999 had mentioned in his thread and also attached the video of some quality niggles from M&M. Hhttp://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...es-home-3.htmlere is the link
Hello, I saw the video, the panel gap doesn't seem to be normal. I have checked my car to find any such thing, But i couldn't. Everything seems normal with the usual panel gaps. And thankfully no kind of rattling noise till now.

Last edited by Eddy : 13th July 2015 at 14:21. Reason: Quoting a video hampers readability for our small screen users.
Old 13th July 2015, 16:51   #44
BHPian

Your review and comparison was as good as the XUV and the Jetta! Fantastic ownership review and comparison of 2 fantastic cars

One query : When you turn the key on, the speedo and the RPM meter does a full rotation once.. During the course of this, do you still hear the whirring sound of the dials while they are doing the full rotation in your new XUV like it used to occur in the older XUV?
Old 15th July 2015, 00:30   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAM-4 View Post
Your review and comparison was as good as the XUV and the Jetta! Fantastic ownership review and comparison of 2 fantastic cars

One query : When you turn the key on, the speedo and the RPM meter does a full rotation once.. During the course of this, do you still hear the whirring sound of the dials while they are doing the full rotation in your new XUV like it used to occur in the older XUV?

Hello, Thank you. I am glad you liked the review and the comparison.

Nope, The process is silky smooth now, No sound at all. Not even from the side mirror's when they open and close, I am really happy to see Mahindra made changes to such small things as well.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks