Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2018, 12:32   #91
VEA
BHPian

re: Toyota Innova Crysta ownership report. EDIT: Engine replaced (page 9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
When the car went to Nandi Toyota, Kudlu gate, Omkar happened to pass by. He heard the car and told my driver "Something is wrong with the engine sound. Wait. Let me get the service adviser." When the service adviser came he also agreed that something did not sound right with the car and that Toyota needed to hear it and suggest a way forward.
I just happened to see this post while searching for a solution to a similar problem. Can you elaborate on the particular change in engine sound before your car needed timing belt service?

My dad’s 2 year old Crysta ZX AT has a louder engine than my brothers Crysta ZX AT. Both were purchased together, but one car is sounding like it has an exhaust leak which it doesnt have. It also has a consistent and prominent clattering noise like a truck’s cold start. This car has done 95k kms now, but the increased noise levels was noticed around the 40k mark. Brother’s car has done 75k now but is defenitely quieter inside and outside. The service centre apparently think its normal and is not bothered. Lot of passengers in the car comment about the louder engine and dad has now decided to buy a VX manual to take advantage of the lesser noisier engine and better ride from the 16” wheels. But I am concerned if this is the same issue as yours.
Old 26th May 2018, 15:54   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEA View Post
I just happened to see this post while searching for a solution to a similar problem. Can you elaborate on the particular change in engine sound before your car needed timing belt service?

It is difficult to express it in words. It was louder than usual and more 'clattery'.

Sounds a bit like your issue, I should say.

Take it & ask the ASC specifically. I think there is a soft recall
sridhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2018, 16:18   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEA View Post
This car has done 95k kms now, but the increased noise levels was noticed around the 40k mark. Brother’s car has done 75k now but is defenitely quieter inside and outside.
95k kms in 2 years means almost 150 kms everyday without a break. Is this a personal car or a taxi, if you don't mind my asking ??
Old 26th May 2018, 23:30   #94
VEA
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
95k kms in 2 years means almost 150 kms everyday without a break. Is this a personal car or a taxi, if you don't mind my asking ??
Its a driver driven personal car. It does a lot of long trips and is in use all days of the week. 45 to 50k is his usual annual usage.
Old 19th June 2018, 20:26   #95
Senior - BHPian

40,000 KM Service update
Total Cost: 14,625/-

Complaints that needed to be addressed:
  • - Gear shift very notchy
  • - Bonnet cable failed. Can't open hood
  • - Engine noise is high
  • - Steering vibration
  • - wiper blade squeaky
  • - 2nd Row seats not aligned
  • - AC Filter - check & replace
  • - fuel filter?

Work that was done
  • - Replaced the gear bushes under warranty to take care of the notchiness. Will see if it becomes smooth over time
  • - Changed the bonnet cable. Paid. No idea why it failed
  • - Engine noise high: They accepted it. The noise was about 4-5 db higher than another car (remember, decibel scale is logarithmic!) and have escalated to TKM. TKM will revert in 3-4 days. This is starting to worry me.
  • - Steering vibration & shudder under braking at 100+ kmph speeds: rotors skimmed. I think this is basically a design issue and that the rotors are deforming under extended use.
  • - Replaced one wiper rubber for ₹ 800!!! Not the wiper assembly (That is 2500). Just one wiper rubber. I was an idiot to complain about it to the ASC and had to pay for my idiocy, I guess. Expensive lesson!
  • - Replaced a loose plastic handle for the driver side seat recliner lever. ₹ 500!
  • - 2nd row seats are offset by about an inch. TKM concluded that it is a problem of leather seat done by Stanley. I am basically hosed on that one!
  • - AC Filter was replaced. Fuel filter was not.
  • - Got synthetic oil put in for the engine.

They did the usual ₹ 80 wiper fluid charge; made them remove it.

Bills:
Toyota Innova Crysta ownership report. EDIT: Engine replaced (page 9)-new-doc-20180619_1.jpg
Toyota Innova Crysta ownership report. EDIT: Engine replaced (page 9)-new-doc-20180619_2.jpg
Toyota Innova Crysta ownership report. EDIT: Engine replaced (page 9)-new-doc-20180619_3.jpg

Accessories - Installed the Sensairy TPMS
Finally caved in and bought the Sensairy TPMS, based largely on the recommendation here on T-Bhp.

I had the Nonda Zus External TPMS. For all the show & the price ($ 120!! ), it is basically a PoS. The temperature reading is random - in a car parked overnight in Bangalore, it shows one (just one!) wheel at 47 C and the rest at 24 C! The temperature & pressure seems correlated - the wheel with the higher temperature used to show a higher pressure. Dont think it is physics - must be a bad sensor. And it was a pain to fill air. Because of all these reasons & the glowing review here, on T-BHP, I decided to go for the Sensairy. (Equivalent Aliexperess is about 3k. But I wanted some support). The Nonda Zus has been installed in the Honda Jazz

The buying experience, after I reached out to Prabhu, was quite pleasant. A few niggles:

- Each unit is 1500. The bundle price for 5 sensors is 5x (7500). It should be less than 5x, IMO
- The same info is asked multiple times (mail & phone#) when you buy on the site
- You choose the products & place them in the cart. There is no prompt to sign-in/ sign-on. However, the cart becomes empty if user signs on!

Gave the feedback to Prabhu; he seemed to basically ignore it.

Once I paid, he sent a person over to help with the installation. It is a fiddly process & I strongly advise seeking help from them on installation. They installed one valve stem wrong & it had to be sacrificed. The valve attaches to the sensor with a tiny screw & spring washer. Woe betide you if you lose it!

I got it done at Tyre Empire, HSR Layout. Had a heart attack when they charged me ₹ 300 per tire !!!! to install the sensor. Talked to them & brought it down to 600 totally. With balancing & alignment, this exercise came to a hefty ₹ 3000.

Is it worth the money? Probably not. But the sensor works quite well.

Seems to be very accurate until now.

They change the android setting to be always on & working in the background. I turned it off - drains the battery big time!

The output from Sensairy:

Toyota Innova Crysta ownership report. EDIT: Engine replaced (page 9)-img20180613wa0043.jpg

One problem I anticipate (might just be my lack of knowledge): When the tires are rotated, you basically drag & drop the respective wheel on the app. The issue is that it swaps the tire you are dragging with the tire already there - meaning, if you move the spare to FL, then the earlier FL is now the spare. Since tire rotation does not happen that way, one needs to be careful.

I think they need a temp location to make this work properly or have an 'Rotate' option. The good thing is that the sensors have individual hardware IDs. I have noted the current location of the sensors by hardware ID, being the paranoid dude I am!

All in all, fairly happy with Sensairy

Last edited by sridhu : 19th June 2018 at 20:30.
sridhu is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 20th June 2018, 10:44   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Work that was done
Changed the bonnet cable. Paid. No idea why it failed
I am curious as well! It is not something that is used regularly.

Quote:
Engine noise high: They accepted it. The noise was about 4-5 db higher than another car (remember, decibel scale is logarithmic!) and have escalated to TKM. TKM will revert in 3-4 days. This is starting to worry me.
I recall that the timing chain and related parts had to be replaced in your Crysta under warranty. Could this be related?

Timing chain issue has been "acknowledged" by Toyota in certain markets in some batches of this engine. Not talking about the Crysta in particular but the engine. Issue reported has been far and in between.

Quote:
Steering vibration & shudder under braking at 100+ kmph speeds: rotors skimmed. I think this is basically a design issue and that the rotors are deforming under extended use.
This confirms my views and thoughts on Crysta brakes. They are inadequate.

Quote:
Finally caved in and bought the Sensairy TPMS, based largely on the recommendation here on T-Bhp.

All in all, fairly happy with Sensairy
I am also getting a set. Having no extra cables and connections and a free cigarette lighter socket appeals to me. The temp display would be useful (for academic purposes) on highways.

Last edited by Sankar : 20th June 2018 at 11:00.
Old 20th June 2018, 17:19   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post

This confirms my views and thoughts on Crysta brakes. They are inadequate.
This does not look good. So far I am very happy with brakes . They have good bite and has the right feel unlike my Endeavour where the brakes are very cushy. My car came back from 15K service and SA told me the right disk has developed little rust and might cause a bit of judder in future . I said if it is rusted, replace under warranty for which he told it is wear and tear part and might not come under warranty. I inspected the rotors and they seem okay and since braking is good, I have asked him not to do any change. I made it clear if braking is impacted/rust increases I want it replaced under warranty and nothing else.
Old 20th June 2018, 17:35   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
My car came back from 15K service and SA told me the right disk has developed little rust and might cause a bit of judder in future
He's probably trying to BS you into paying for a new rotor and/or pads which, as he rightly advised, are wear and tear parts.

New rotors have a coating of thin anti rust oil which needs to be removed with brake cleaner before installation. Once that oil coat is taken off the metal will rust if sprayed with water or in rain. And this will happen no matter how many times they replace it with new parts.

Nothing to worry about as the pads will scrape off the rust. You may notice some roughness or grinding noise when braking just ignore it. However, if the roughness persists, you feel a pulsing in the pedal or continue hearing scraping noises take the car to the ASC and have them clean the rotors and pads.

Last edited by R2D2 : 20th June 2018 at 17:37.
R2D2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th June 2018, 18:34   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
This does not look good. So far I am very happy with brakes . They have good bite and has the right feel unlike my Endeavour where the brakes are very cushy. My car came back from 15K service and SA told me the right disk has developed little rust and might cause a bit of judder in future . I said if it is rusted, replace under warranty for which he told it is wear and tear part and might not come under warranty. I inspected the rotors and they seem okay and since braking is good, I have asked him not to do any change. I made it clear if braking is impacted/rust increases I want it replaced under warranty and nothing else.
Yes the brakes do bite well initially, on repeated applications from high speeds it performs poorly. I now use manual mode to help with slowing down. Not as responsive as a dual clutch but does the job.

Rust is okay. My brake disc have rust spots on it as i type this because it has been raining and the discs get wet where its parked and it has been two days since i took the Innova. Rust will clear once it moves.

Wear and tear does not come under warranty but if you get brake judder it should be replaced under warranty.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2018, 19:05   #100
Senior - BHPian

I tend to agree with @Sankar. On high ways, at reasonably high speeds (100-120kmph), I think the disc is unable to handle the braking over time and causes shuddering. This may be because like the tranny the brakes are carried over from the earlier Innova and can't handle the increased power. I remember that the first Fortuners had a similar issue

That is why this is not noticed at city speeds.

Please be advised that this is just my opinion

Last edited by sridhu : 20th June 2018 at 19:09.
sridhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2018, 19:40   #101
Senior - BHPian

I use an app called My Cars and I have data on pretty much every item I have spent on the car.

I thougt it might be useful to present some statistics. I will try & remember to update these numbers as I keep you folks posted on an ongoing basis.

Major Cost Heads & Averages
Total Cost of Ownership ₹ 3,000,267.58
Maintenance Cost ₹ 550,267.58
Maintenance Cost per KM ₹ 14.06
Fuel Expenses ₹ 223,182.58
Fuel Cost Per km ₹ 5.70
Service Costs ₹ 84,088
Service Costs per Km ₹ 2.15
Total Fuel Lts ₹ 3,644.00
YTD fuel Efficiency 10.74 kmpl

Expenses Break-up
Diesel ₹ 223,183
Insurance ₹ 98,474
Service ₹ 74,069
Accessory ₹ 144,523
Interior Cleaning ₹ 5,475
Puncture ₹ 330
Wheel Bal & Align ₹ 4,214
Vehicle Price ₹ 2,450,000
Grand Total ₹ 3,000,268

Costs per major service
Interval Cumulative
10k ₹ 187,853.79 ₹ 187,853.79
20k ₹ 154,008.38 ₹ 341,862.17
30k ₹ 70,815.92 ₹ 412,678.09
40k ₹ 137,589.49 ₹ 550,267.58

I have uploaded the costs excel spreadhsheet also, in case you want to glean your own insights.
Crysta Expenses V2.xlsx

Last edited by sridhu : 23rd June 2018 at 19:43.
sridhu is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th July 2018, 22:56   #102
BHPian

Did not want to open a new thread - so posting within this thread itself.

4-5 days back I got a long beep while starting the Crysta. Then a Low Oil Pressure red warning was displayed for about 5 seconds on the console. I killed the engine and after a few minutes just turned on the ignition. The same warning sound and display came. Repeated the sequence, but it disappeared.

My driver took it to the service centre where they took a half day and found no issue. They issued a zero cost under warranty bill that mentioned "Oil pressure indication compiling checked(dtc checked not found)".

Yesterday the same issue came back during the first time the ignition was switched on, but did not appear again. I dont know if its a faulty sensor - any suggestions ?
Old 14th July 2018, 06:05   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutts View Post
4-5 days back I got a long beep while starting the Crysta. Then a Low Oil Pressure red warning was displayed for about 5 seconds on the console...
Yesterday the same issue came back during the first time the ignition was switched on, but did not appear again. I dont know if its a faulty sensor - any suggestions ?
Baffling

- sensor would be my first guess as well
- do you have a rat issues? May be check your wires
- oil filter could be the other issue

Just a suggestion: you might get more eyes on this on the Crysta official review thread.
Old 14th July 2018, 06:23   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutts View Post
Where do you park your vehicle? If the vehicle is parked in slant position oil warning appears. This is also documented in the manual.
Old 14th July 2018, 11:38   #105
BHPian

SA did not find any rat or electrical issue. Vehicle is always parked on level ground.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks