Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2016, 19:19   #31
BHPian

re: Toyota Innova Crysta ownership report. EDIT: Engine replaced (page 9)

Hey Sridhu, such a superbly written piece. Thoroughly enjoyed reading it, with those humorous perspectives, awesome. Many congrats for both the car and your writing skills. Sorry GTO but after having read your official review from cover to cover about 3 times, I still found this report refreshing. I am still drooling over the pictures in all these forums, and trying to decide how do I buy the AT in Noida, NCR with the ban. It is quite frustrating in these parts! Appears I am becoming reasonably desperate to buy this in so that today I visited a showroom to check out the petrol version- ugh! I currently drive a crv automatic (2005, type 2) and the mileage @ 6 kills me!

Agree to your comparison with Mahindra, they just have not been able to build that reliability quotient. After having driven a scorpio for 3 lac km (2005-2013), and having both XUV and Scorpio available off the shelf in NCR, I still cannot bring myself to buy another Mahindra product, even if I have to wait for a while before I can grab that Crysta steering in my own right. Though I loved the build quality, ride and handling of the 2.6L turbo engine in my scorpio, I still cannot forgive Mahindra that the timing belt broke twice (60k, 110k) while I was driving at top speed between Gurgaon to Noida. It was a car I loved dearly, but cannot fathom myself buying another Mahindra SUV for reliability purposes- what would have happened had the timing belt on either of these occasions broken over hilly roads- I drive over to the hills whenever I get a couple of days and friends/family willing to accompany me.

Anyway, enjoy your car and keep on posting reviews. If I end up buying mine one of these days I will add in this thread.
rajivrt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2016, 22:11   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
No BlackBeast. DId not hear about this value pack from my SA. Do put up a brochure or something so that we can understand what it is.
Please refer to the below picture on this and refer to Toyota Value Pack. Was asked around 22K for 2 years extended warranty for 1.4L Km (just 40K on top of regular)

Toyota Innova Crysta ownership report. EDIT: Engine replaced (page 9)-ravindutoyota.jpeg
Old 14th August 2016, 21:13   #33
BHPian

Congratulations on your new vehicle. your review is quite detailed. I have already booked Grey Zx AT variant and expect delivery by month end as told by sales person. Even though I took two test drives with wife and then again with kids, I had missed few of the drawbacks which you mentioned. But most of them are minor when you consider the fact that ride comfort is great, there is good space, interiors have improved, its an engine which you can rely upon to run for long without trouble and has been consistently at the top when you consider reliability all around the world and after sales quality is one of the better out there.
Old 14th August 2016, 23:00   #34
BHPian

Quote:

Will certainly try! The point is, nothing much happens when owning an Innova. I hope the same story continues with the Crysta as well!
Actually nothing much happens when you own a Toyota! The brand is boring!!
subratasenn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2016, 19:01   #35
Senior - BHPian

A couple of updates, folks:

I topped up the car again. Driven exclusively in Bangalore in 'Normal' mode. 435 km & filled 41 lts (10.66 kmpl). Pretty decent, considering everything.

Also, I drove to & from HSR-BIAL (55 km via ORR, one way). While going, I had it in Eco mode. Did the trip in about 45 min. Got an average mileage of about 13.9 kmpl

Return trip was about 50 km (stopped off in Koramangala). Had it in Power mode throughout. Mostly same speeds & time.

Got an average mileage of 13.5 kmpl round trip.

This works out to about 13.1 kmpl for the power mode alone - a difference of about 0.8 kmpl in mileage between modes. Significant but not huge. I would advise go with whatever mode you like!

Note on the power mode - it is very immediate & addictive. Things happen (you actually get pushed back into your seat!) when you hit the throttle when you are doing 120 kmph! But I found the power mode irritating for 2 reasons:

- the noise was very buzzy. The noise is not different - I switched between Eco & Power modes holding the throttle steady. The speed & rpm did not change. Neither did the engine noise. But it is not a pleasant sound and since the engine is very willing, the noise hits you hard.

- You need to be very smooth on the pedal. Otherwise the car jerks around too much, making for a very jerky ride. May be it is my age, but it was not very nice.

I am even more convinced this mode is for the undivided state/ national highways and not for normal use.

No regrets till now & the car is quite enjoyable for my purposes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezrskb View Post
But most of them are minor when you consider the fact t ...
Yes. I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subratasenn View Post
Actually nothing much happens when you own a Toyota! The brand is boring!!
Exactly! The Chinese (?) have a curse "May you live in interesting times!". I prefer my vehicle ownership experience to be boring!
sridhu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th August 2016, 07:35   #36
BHPian

And I also realised an additional benefit of buying this vehicle. I don't have to go breaking my head decoding the VIN and worry whether I am getting a freshly manufactured vehicle or an old one. My sales person told I wouldn't be able to get any vehicle with date of manufacture older than this month as its moving off shelves quickly. Also there is simply not enough time to accumulate rust I guess though I would ask them to give me VIN and inspect the vehicle before delivery as per checklist given in this forum.
Old 16th August 2016, 20:34   #37
BHPian

Quote:
A couple of updates, folks:

I topped up the car again. Driven exclusively in Bangalore in 'Normal' mode. 435 km & filled 41 lts (10.66 kmpl). Pretty decent, considering everything.

Also, I drove to & from HSR-BIAL (55 km via ORR, one way). While going, I had it in Eco mode. Did the trip in about 45 min. Got an average mileage of about 13.9 kmpl

Return trip was about 50 km (stopped off in Koramangala). Had it in Power mode throughout. Mostly same speeds & time.

Got an average mileage of 13.5 kmpl round trip.

This works out to about 13.1 kmpl for the power mode alone - a difference of about 0.8 kmpl in mileage between modes. Significant but not huge. I would advise go with whatever mode you like!

Note on the power mode - it is very immediate & addictive. Things happen (you actually get pushed back into your seat!) when you hit the throttle when you are doing 120 kmph! But I found the power mode irritating for 2 reasons:

- the noise was very buzzy. The noise is not different - I switched between Eco & Power modes holding the throttle steady. The speed & rpm did not change. Neither did the engine noise. But it is not a pleasant sound and since the engine is very willing, the noise hits you hard.

- You need to be very smooth on the pedal. Otherwise the car jerks around too much, making for a very jerky ride. May be it is my age, but it was not very nice.

I am even more convinced this mode is for the undivided state/ national highways and not for normal use.
Yeah I agree, I did Chandigarh-Dalhousie-Chandigarh trip (-700Kms).

On our way to Dalhousie, there were pretty steep curves and massive traffic jams, FE varied from 11.9 to14.8 with 100% AC. On the way back, at times, FE touched 15.1.

Straight line drive/stability is marvelous. This car can cruise at 110-120 Kmpl all day long without breaking a sweat. Power mode is really intoxicating and insanely peppy. IMHO, Power mode is not really meant for city purposes or you will be in for a bumpy ride. Considering that its been a while since Crysta’s launch, I still get admiring glances from the fellow motorists and cabbies.

Quick Question: The manual says it has 2 USB ports, but I can seem to find only one. Where is the 2nd USB port located at?

Quote:
And I also realised an additional benefit of buying this vehicle. I don't have to go breaking my head decoding the VIN and worry whether I am getting a freshly manufactured vehicle or an old one. My sales person told I wouldn't be able to get any vehicle with date of manufacture older than this month as its moving off shelves quickly. Also there is simply not enough time to accumulate rust I guess though I would ask them to give me VIN and inspect the vehicle before delivery as per checklist given in this forum.

Correct. You won’t find a more than a month’s old but don’t let that stop you from doing your PDI. A customer at Chandigarh dealership got a crysta with 4 months old tyres on a month old crysta, probably retrofitted from old Innova. My point is, be very careful and alert because once the car is out if the dealership, they will not agree to any claims you make. All the best!
Old 17th August 2016, 13:51   #38
BHPian

I saw crysta with Bridgestone tyres but sales person said they got some with Apollo too. Hope mine comes with Bridgestones. How's the road noise with those?

Last edited by dezrskb : 17th August 2016 at 13:54.
Old 18th August 2016, 12:13   #39
BHPian

Quote:
I saw crysta with Bridgestone tyres but sales person said they got some with Apollo too. Hope mine comes with Bridgestones. How's the road noise with those?

AFAIK, Crysta doesn't come with Apollos but, to be honest, noise made by tyres does manage to seep in but it is not that disturbing.

A distinguished BHPian (Sankar) has already upgraded Crysta's tyres, below is the link, see if it works for you.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...de-thread.html

All the very best for your purchase.

drive_angry
Old 18th August 2016, 22:40   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive_angry View Post
AFAIK, Crysta doesn't come with Apollos
drive_angry
I saw few Apollos too on the Crysta at the dealer stock yard.Even one of the display vehicle too had the Apollos. I thought they had Yokos too, but apparently none available.

The bridgestones are any day better over the Apollos. Unfortunately not too many options available at this size and I was recommended by a D-BHP'ian not to bother changing the Tyres as they will be too expensive and it's not worth it.

Last edited by samabhi : 18th August 2016 at 22:41.
Old 19th August 2016, 00:36   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samabhi View Post
Unfortunately not too many options available at this size and I was recommended by a D-BHP'ian not to bother changing the Tyres as they will be too expensive and it's not worth it.
If you are upsizing its totally worth it for the speeds this vehicle is capable of. On mine i now have better braking and roadholding with slightly wider Michelin tyres than with B390 that came as OE. On ZX it may not be as noticeable as it already has 215 section tyres.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2016, 14:46   #42
Senior - BHPian

Folks, quick update:

I have hit 3700 km roughly. Went on a 850 km Bangalore - Tanjavur (and back) drive. As can be expected, it was mixed mode driving. I would guess about 60% Eco, 30% Normal & 10% Power.

Surprisingly, the mileage has dropped drastically - 11.4 (823 km; filled 72 litres)

The other weird issue is that the push button start is very finicky. Does not start when you press. The only way it currently works is if you cross your legs, twist your arms, pray to your God(s), squint into the dashboard & quickly long press the button. (your technique might be different!) And oh, I forgot, squint into the sun too.

Point is, I had taken both the keys during the trip (a quirk of mine ever since a friend lost his key in a bee attack and I had to courier his keys to Kerala). I can report that the key is sensed even if it is in my camera bag in the back of the car - the car would not allow you to close the door. That is the good part. But this means that you cannot take both keys with you on a journey as there is no off switch for the key.

Maybe it is because of the 2 keys, but the car simply would not start when you press the start button, however long. It starts randomly. This behaviour was found by me, my friend and my brother's driver too. I thought it is because the key signals are interfering with each other. (The key that opened the car is not the one that is starting it etc)

Unfortunately, it is continuing even today, when I have only one key.

Just an update. Will keep you folks posted after I talk to Toyota.
sridhu is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th September 2016, 06:55   #43
Senior - BHPian

A post regarding the starting 'problem'.

I finally figured out the issue - it is not a mechanical or electronic problem as I originally suspected but rather a user error/ usage issue.

Basically, I (most people?) tend to keep the clutch pressed & retry the start if the car does not start the first time. The issue is that the Crysta does not recognize if the clutch is pressed already. I think it has a sensor only for when the clutch is being pressed.

It is a subtle difference but the former makes the car think that the clutch is not pressed and hence will not start the car.

Solution?

Release the clutch fully and press it fully when you want to start or if you are restarting. This tells the car that the clutch is pressed and it will start fine.

Took me a while to figure out; posting for the benefit of people who are sure to hit this problem.
sridhu is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 6th September 2016, 07:26   #44
BHPian

Quote:
The only way it currently works is if you cross your legs, twist your arms, pray to your God(s), squint into the dashboard & quickly long press the button. (your technique might be different!) And oh, I forgot, squint into the sun too.
You made my day - Had a good laughter. Good that you found a solution of releasing clutch each time. I hope Toyota has mentioned in bold in their manual.
Old 9th September 2016, 21:55   #45
BHPian

Hi there Sridhu,
Wonderfull story about your old Innova and the process of choosing its successor. Your writing style is awesomely refreshing.
It pulled a few heart strings(if that is possible for something as "boring" as a Toyota Innova).
In fact I am drawn to posting(after reading your outstanding review and its replies by the group) after many years.
I too have a 2005 Innova V in blue, done 205k as on date and have been looking at the Crysta as a replacement.
- Like you, I have Thule Box (for holidays with the family, 6-7 on board, incl. children and luggage/eats/drinks loaded to the gills).
- Stanley leather seats, put because the OE seats were a fur magnet to the family dog.
In fact I stumbled onto TEAMBHP, as my Innova had the infamous "smoking" issue, as soon as I took delivery.
Other than that, it has been a rock in our lives over the last 11 years. Except for a few accidents, no major work done.
Like you, I use the Innova 99% of the time(my wife calls it the "bus" and prefers the A Star in the city, my two bits that the Innova actually is easier to drive, falls on deaf ears).
Reading your review and being a petrol head, I am now leaning towards the MT too(shucks to the heavier clutch and steering). I also read somewhere that the Auto cannot freewheel and if one is not careful on accelerator modulation, rocks the passengers forward, if you lift of the gas.
What I cannot understand is why people want to pay over 8lacs more over the base version, for basically luxuries in automotive terms. OK the 1-1.3 lac for the auto box, for city users aside.
The base GX Crysta has everything mechanical that the V had (except for the driver seat height adjust, which is a deal breaker for me, as I am 5'6" and am finicky about the perfect ergonomic setup, on long drives).
Any Innova will have the old foibles
- the engine drone at high speeds(wait for a few years and it will get more pronounced, I am sure). I agree that Toyota has reworked the gearing ratios, but anything approaching and beyond 3000 rpm will be unpleasant. I touch 140kmph regularly on Bangalore-Hyderabad trips(even in a 10 year old car-Toyota "you da man") and the journey is largely in silence (no music possible & co-passengers with earphones), because of the engine din (the best word to describe the noise)
- the pitching on bad roads(In spite of I think they call it "pitch control". Guys there is no such thing on Indian roads).
- the rolling (I have had my nephew, someone who likes his food 24 hrs, throw up a few times, on long drives).
Long story short, this will probably be my last car buy, till the end of my licensed/safe driving days(of this I have supreme faith in the "Innova" brand), so :-
1. Will wait for the petrol (less noisy and nearly 70% more power to satisfy the petrol head in me).
2. Manual (hope they offer it)
3. The base version and try to get the drivers seat height adjust retrofitted(any suggestions anyone). Otherwise, its back to Stanley and ask them to heavily pad the seat, when doing the leather install.
Looking forward to your and the groups feedback.
Vicki_Rau is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks