Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2007, 22:56   #16
BHPian

Hi, my verna has covered just 1100 kms.. Till now I have not experienced the problem of the car swaying left or right, when you take both the hands of the steering wheel.. Anyway, will again test it out on a highway stretch in a couple of days...
Old 24th February 2007, 05:45   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitbagai View Post
Yea I got it done...but no help...In-fact when I went at Hyundai Motor Plaza for first service there was a guy who's Verna VGT has done 800 KMs only and the wheel alignment was done FIVE TIMES!! And the tires were crossed THRICE. His Car went left as soon as we take our hands off the steering wheel. The engineers at the workshop don’t know what to say as of yet. I invited the owner to drive my Verna and he said that mine too had same problem but it’s balanced as the car goes either way. Well we all know that the roads always have a slope but Verna reacts to slope more than any other car … (may be because of soft suspension)…may be the above mentioned case is an extreme example but I have observed same thing that it does not drive straight most of the times.
bro iam not facing any problem like that at all....well get it checked maybe some faulty part...
Old 24th February 2007, 05:52   #18
BHPian

Hey Jeetu,
Try to drive it on a road where you are sure there is a slope. You will find Verna behaving different than your indigo.
Old 24th February 2007, 06:26   #19
BHPian

u mean steep slope or smeting else ?
Old 24th February 2007, 09:35   #20
BHPian

Note from the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT use Slang / SMS language. Do type in full and proper english for the benefit of other readers

hmmm i got to drive a frnds verna crdi, without ABS on the ECR chennai........... first thing i noticed was the turbo lag, not as much pronounced as other turbo cars, but pretty much to hurt wheel spining take off's(not that i didnt manage to burn some rubber, purposefully ) but once the turbo started to spool up, man i've never experienced such an accelaration in ANY other car, i've driven,(except may be for the track prepared esteem)...... was already doing 140mkph in 3rd gear, so shifted to 4th n wanted to find out what best this baby cud manage........within seconds the needle was soaring past 170kmph, cudnt do much bcos thats when i realised that this car had suspensions that was feeling more less like a wiggling piece of jelly, took a corner at 160kmph n thats when i lost all my faith towards the vernas handling prowess's it was like handling a ship rolling n pitching all the time, it really made me feel very unsafe to push it further more, so just relaxed, n the steering wheel is very bad too, no feed back at all, n a lil old M800 had hell lot of responsiveness than this big baby........ but the brakes where some thing that gave me an out of the world feeling, it bites bloody well, n slows the car like nothing else, but a lil too sharp to lock the wheels!!! this is when i really missed the ABS.......... hmmm n at the end of my drive i found out the fastest diesel engine for Rs8lakhs

my impressions on the car,
PROs: a very beautifull engine n damn powerfull, good interiors.... a world better than the accent, very comfy ride, seats pretty good..... n superb brakes!!!
CONS: worst handling car, very nervous at high speed cornering, nil responsive steering wheel, n quite a bad AC i must say!!!
Old 25th February 2007, 19:32   #21
BHPian

bro the A/C is amazing i keep the compressor on half coz it is soo chilling.... dont agree on that, as handling goes i have put 16 inc with 195/ goodyear f1 tyres....so it handles much better.
Old 25th February 2007, 19:38   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeetu4444 View Post
u mean steep slope or smeting else ?
Slope towards the corner of the road. (Usually the left side)...And I agree A/C is is good
Old 25th February 2007, 19:57   #23
BHPian

bro if the slope is corner side which ever side then the car will tend to go tat side any car will do the same thing. To check aliment u have go on a straight road then if the tents to go oneside .then there is a problem...
Old 25th February 2007, 20:09   #24
BHPian

I am saying that it tends to go more than any other car. It run straight on straight road but tend to go in teh slope direction faster than any other car
Old 25th February 2007, 21:30   #25
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitbagai View Post
Yea I got it done...but no help...In-fact when I went at Hyundai Motor Plaza for first service there was a guy who's Verna VGT has done 800 KMs only and the wheel alignment was done FIVE TIMES!! And the tires were crossed THRICE. His Car went left as soon as we take our hands off the steering wheel. The engineers at the workshop don’t know what to say as of yet. I invited the owner to drive my Verna and he said that mine too had same problem but it’s balanced as the car goes either way. Well we all know that the roads always have a slope but Verna reacts to slope more than any other car … (may be because of soft suspension)…may be the above mentioned case is an extreme example but I have observed same thing that it does not drive straight most of the times.
When I fitted tubeless tyres in my Santro, I had the wheels balanced and aligned. When I took the car on the Expressway, I found that the car did tend to pull to the left at speeds in excess of about 110 kmph. I decided to wait. The problem went away after about 1500 kms or so. I think your friend has unnecessarily panicked -- to do wheel alignment 5 times and rotate tyres 3 times within 800 kms was totally unnecessary. Here is a quote from

Car Bibles : The Wheel and Tyre Bible

Quote:
What about the coloured stripes in the tread?

Often when you buy tyres, there will be a coloured band or stripe running around the tyre inside the tread. These can be any colour and can be placed laterally almost anyhwere across the tread. Some are on the tread blocks whilst others are on the tyre carcass. For ages I thought this was a uniformity check - a painted mark used to check the "roundness" of the tyre. But I had a tyre dealer contact me with a far more feasible answer. The same tyre is often made with slightly tweaked specifications for different vehicles. To easily identify these same labelled tyres when they are warehoused or in storage, different markings and stripes are used. Sometimes stripes are added for huge bulk orders to various manufactures. Eg All the red outside stripes are for Toyota next week. This gives anyone in the warehouse a very quick visual check of the different types of tyres without needing to pull them all down and read the sidewall on each one.
As well as the colour, the actual position of the lines is something to take note of too. They're a measure of something called runout. Depending on how the belts are laid on the tyre during manufacturing, they can cause the tire to "run out" - to not track perfectly straight, but pull to the left or right. The closer to the centre of the tyre that these lines are, the less runout the tyre has and the straighter it will track when mounted on your car. So for example, if you were looking at your car from the front and you saw the coloured striped running around the right side of both your front tyres, the car would likely have a tendency to pull to that side. The best thing is to have the coloured stripes on opposite sides of the tyres for opposite sides of the car, so that the runout on each side will counteract the other and help maintain a good straight running. This is something that not many tyre fitting places know about or take any notice of. The obvious solution to having the stripes both on one side is to flip one of the tyres around, but that will only work if they're not unidirectional tyres. If they are unidirectional (and thus must be mounted to rotate a specific way) then you should try to find another tyre from the same batch with the stripe on the opposite side.

See also the above website under "Colored dots and stripes -- whats that all aboiut?". By the way, I found that that for my car, the tyre mechanic took the above runout stripes into account (and also the yellow dot, which affects balancing).

To summarize, just let the tyres run in a little for 2000 kms or so and then evaluate. What the above quote illustrates is that a pull to the left or right need not necessarily be due to an alignment problem. The only sure way to conclude there is an alignment problem is when you observe uneven wear on the tyres.

Last edited by rks : 25th February 2007 at 21:34.
Old 26th February 2007, 11:33   #26
Senior - BHPian

Tubeless punctured

Frenz my rear left wheel on th Vrena had punctured so i took it to the puncture shop and as i watched the repair guy pull out about four nails out of the tyre of "assorted sizes".

Do i need to get the tyres balanced after such an excercise ?
Old 26th February 2007, 12:34   #27
rks
BANNED

@hellstar, Four nails in a tyre is quite serious. You must have picked up these nails over a period of time. Although it seems quite a coincidence that all the nails got caught up in one tyre. You should inspect your tyres regularly (preferably at least once a day) for nails/screws and any damage to the tread or sidewall; with tubeless tyres, you will not know immediately if a nail is caught up, unless you inspect your tyres.

Perhaps the roads you are using are under repair or maybe you tend to stray too much to the sides of the road? I have found that avoiding the mud tracks at the sides and sticking to the road centre helps in avoiding punctures. If a road is under repair, try to avoid that road -- these guys spill a lot of junk on the road. I have had all my punctures (about 4) over the past couple of years when either a flyover was being constructed or when the roads were dug up for constructing a separate lane for buses. The second point is you must check your tyre pressures regularly. Low pressures will result in more frequent punctures.

Every time a wheel is removed, it should be balanced before fitting back. So if you do plan to use this tyre, it is better to balance the wheel. I would suggest you keep this tyre as spare and also check your other tyres as soon as possible.
Old 26th February 2007, 14:39   #28
Senior - BHPian

thnx

Hi rks for the pointers , i will now get all the four tyres checked and balanced , and yes i do check all my tyres daily , but all these nails were pretty deeply seated within the threads. Anyways my vehicle is due for an alignment so will club these things together...

Is there any other way and visually inspecting the tyres to find out these nails maybe like pouring water on them or something like that ( hehe.. got that idea from the tyre shop itself )
Old 26th February 2007, 15:15   #29
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellstar View Post
Is there any other way and visually inspecting the tyres to find out these nails maybe like pouring water on them or something like that ( hehe.. got that idea from the tyre shop itself )
You can inspect the valves for leaks by using soap solution. If a nail is caught up, it may not necessarily leak. So it seems to me that careful visual inspection is the only way out.

I have done about 10000 kms on my tubeless tyres (stock size on stock steel rims) and I have had one puncture. I found the nail neatly embedded during a routine morning inspection -- I was due to take the car to Mumbai that evening, so I was relieved to drive the car to the tyre shop and get the puncture fixed. Since then I have become fairly obsessed with inspecting my tyres. My relatives make fun of me ("What's the matter, like the smell of dog piss or what?"). I tell them to buzz off, the only thing that matters to me is that when I take the car out there should be no punctures and the tyre pressures should be fine.

The security guys at my company also make a nuisance of themselves when they see my looking at my tyres. They tell me "Don't worry, the tyres are fine, we have checked them" and then proceed to give hefty kicks to my tyres that make me wince. I again tell them to please buzz off, I will take care of my tyres.
Old 26th February 2007, 16:03   #30
Senior - BHPian

hey guys,
so the smooking is not a problem i believe.but i am in love with this car.strong satisfaction after each drive .except the mileage which im not that happy every other property of this car is ok regarding my driving style.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks