Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2007, 11:23   #16
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Is it that hard to find? I have seen a good number of Palios with after-market alloys. Am sure competent dealers could source the same. Or is it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakhon View Post
The very thought of hunting for a 98 PCD alloy is dissuading enough for people not to try it I guess.
GTO,
They are sold non 98 PCD alloys. A friend who is working with Fiat (No v1p3r, it is not Turbosam ) and owns a GTX fitted 100 PCD alloys and was happy initially until disaster struck and he has something new to fix with his car everyday. Wheels vibrate at high speeds, the wheel got stuck on the hub, and many more stories like that. I might wait for finding a nice set of 98 PCD alloys from BBS or OZ instead? I did not let Payam buy 100 PCD alloys for the same reason. Managed to procure a set of second hand S10 alloys for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakhon View Post
From what I have heard from various alloy wheel dealers in Bangalore, it is difficult to get 98 PCD alloys. They always advised me to get 100 PCD ones and alter the alloys and I was not too enthusiastic about doing that. It is a different matter that I do not have the budget for alloys now, but that was the situation when I had some budget and was looking for them.
Please do not go for anything but 98 PCD alloys, you will regret big time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by payam View Post
very nice report dude.
GTO you know that finding alloys for palio is a mission impossible.
i think he needs only to change his tyres as i like the look of these stock alloys.
Yes I agree it requires better rubber but then I like the driver involvement with stock tyres. Controlling the slides, correcting understeer is a lot more fun. Karl with cross ply's on his old Fiats will know what I mean .

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
great stuff moral...we need more like you to spread the Fiat Gospel...may your tribe increase! the car really does deserve better than what its getting...still drives so much better than the other "modern" copetition...
I gotta say I agree bud. It may not be faster than the Baleno, the VTEC and a lot of comparables but its fun to drive. I love it. Its like quicksand, more you try to get out of it more you get into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
Nice one there Moralfibre. There are really very few DM series Palios around, and if I see a red one, I will immediately know its yours :P .
This review sounds really tempting... Might go for my very first set of wheels a few months from now. A used Palio might fall into my (low) budget.
Any help required? PM me, I have done enough study on this car to know whats good and whats not.

Last edited by moralfibre : 7th May 2007 at 11:27.
Old 7th May 2007, 12:14   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
I gotta say I agree bud. It may not be faster than the Baleno, the VTEC and a lot of comparables but its fun to drive. I love it.
No. It is almost faster than Baleno. Definitely not slower than it.
Old 7th May 2007, 12:18   #18
Team-BHP Support

Great report and the car looks hot in that colour! any idea about the current resale value for the 1.6??

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135 View Post
No. It is almost faster than Baleno. Definitely not slower than it.
Huh! What is almost faster?? Either it is or it isn't!
Old 7th May 2007, 12:28   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech View Post
Great report and the car looks hot in that colour! any idea about the current resale value for the 1.6??
The resale is anywhere between 1.3 lakhs to 1.6 lakhs for a model upto 2003. The S10's get about 10-15k more than the GTX's but the S10's are a poorly maintained lot.

The best buy should not be more than 1.65 lakhs in my opinion. The worst maintained lot had a problem of valves hitting the pistons at TDC and caused some serious issues. Some cars with poor service history have a problem of oil getting into the head assembly. If the timing belt is not changed at about 40-50k kms this problem is bound to arise.

Quote:
Seconded .
Old 7th May 2007, 12:28   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech View Post
Let me elaborate.

Baleno is proclaimed to be faster than GTX, which it is for 0-100. But, that doesn't really mean that it is faster car. It only means that the gear ratio is clever to come up with better 0-100 figure. GTX is faster than Baleno in 0-60, 0-80 but loses out on 0-100 due to additional gear shift. But it is faster again for 0-110/120 than Baleno. Finally it is 1+ second faster than Baleno in 0-160 (or 0-100 mph).

If you want roll on figures, Baleno doesn't match any of GTX roll-on figures in 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear. It matches only in 5th gear. But that is the slowest roll-on figure, so not worth considering.

So, GTX IS faster than Baleno but I said almost faster since Baleno has better 0-100 figure.

P.S.: That was quick response, Rtech!
P.P.S.: This is for GTX vs Baleno. S10, in a driver's hand, may be faster than GTX due to shorter gearing.

Last edited by RX135 : 7th May 2007 at 12:31.
Old 7th May 2007, 12:31   #21
Team-BHP Support

RX I think you mean to say it is quicker. I have no problems if it slower either.
Old 7th May 2007, 12:36   #22
Team-BHP Support

Great review moralfibre! The car sure looks hot in red. Where is the part 2 of the review!?
As for faster/quicker blah blah I think 1 second here or there hardly makes a difference, unless you are lined up on the start line of the speed run.
Old 7th May 2007, 12:37   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindoc View Post
The unavailability of a demo car doesnt make things easier too.
This is very weird. Dropped my car off for its 30,000 km service at Fortune Cars, Powai - yes it was orginally a Tata dealership - and there was a spanking new 1.6 Stile Sport - in black. Could not take pix, but rest assured, I shall have them by today evening.

Moral - long review - shows you love the car.
Old 7th May 2007, 12:45   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Great review moralfibre! The car sure looks hot in red. Where is the part 2 of the review!?
As for faster/quicker blah blah I think 1 second here or there hardly makes a difference, unless you are lined up on the start line of the speed run.
Hey tsk, thanks. Part 2 will take some time to compile. I am yet to start writing it.

I agree about the faster quicker part. Who times his 0-100 everyday?

Quote:
Moral - long review - shows you love the car.
Thanks typeO. It is some material to fall in love with.
Old 7th May 2007, 12:54   #25
Senior - BHPian

Amazing review Kiran

Your love for your car shows. Red is the best colour the GTX and boy that was some driving during you Pune Goa trip

Whats the mileage you get now?
Old 7th May 2007, 12:58   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
Whats the mileage you get now?
I get around 11 kmpl. I always keep a check just to ensure that engine is doing fine and not because I can afford to fill her up .

The Pune Goa Pune drive will always be a good memory and have a brag factor. I have done Bangalore drive too but not as memorable as this one.
Old 7th May 2007, 13:02   #27
BHPian

Nice review. Even I am thinking of setteling for 1.6.
Old 7th May 2007, 13:31   #28
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Damn, that 98 PCD must suck for owners. How about giving it some attitude? Paint the alloys a matt black finish (bye bye to the weird design) and get some good rubber?

Quote:
But it is faster again for 0-110/120 than Baleno.
Nice! Thats something I didnt know. Commendable keeping in mind the weight.
Old 7th May 2007, 13:41   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Damn, that 98 PCD must suck for owners. How about giving it some attitude? Paint the alloys a matt black finish (bye bye to the weird design)
I agree the matt black finish is on cards and will happen soon.

Quote:
and get some good rubber?
Naaah, not until I finish the set of stock rubber. Sliding is fun isn't it?

EDIT: Guys just to add some info on buying decision. This is what I read - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...palio-s10.html and said to myself "Palio is my car!"

Last edited by moralfibre : 7th May 2007 at 13:43.
Old 7th May 2007, 14:18   #30
Senior - BHPian

Fantastic review Moral. Your car looks very well maintained. externally my car looks exactly similar to yours minus the rear spoiler. Mine is Dsl car. Talking about the fun on the highways with this car, i can talk for hours.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks