Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2024, 12:22   #1
BHPian

My Mahindra XUV300 Diesel | Long-term Ownership Review | 3 years and 60,000 km

XUV300: A Long-term Review

Introducing Neptune

Before I begin this review, I salute those reviewers and admins here in the forum who are patient enough to write their reviews down on time with no delays, especially when everyone has other main jobs to do! I wanted to post every possible update from my side, as and when I do them – but I couldn’t write even a short review ever since I took home this car in January 2021. Though the issues related to this car are being discussed already in the review thread, I am trying to add more numbers related to maintenance and running costs based on my records (Yes, even though there was no review, I kept records hoping that I would write a report one day – this day!). I wanted this to be a 50k km/2.5-year ownership report – but here I am dragging myself to write this 60k km/3-year review. Considering that the facelift is around the corner for the first time in 5 years, I am trying to quickly post this one. I call my car – Neptune, based on an artist’s imaginative painting of the planet in a similar dark teal color in an ‘Our Universe’ book that I saw some 30 years back. Considering that XUV300 has been selling a constant ~4000 cars every month on an average, I believe this report would be useful for some existing and many recent owners.

My Mahindra XUV300 Diesel | Long-term Ownership Review | 3 years and 60,000 km-01_summary.png
Here's the summary of my XUV300 - Neptune.

The Purchase Decision

I spent quite a lot of my time with an acquaintance for their car purchase in mid-2019 when we test drove various cars ranging from hatchbacks like Figo and Tiago to the C2-SUV like Nissan Kicks. Just after Covid lockdown in 2020, another colleague of mine wanted me to join the hunt for their first ever car – and we looked mainly at c-SUVs like Nexon, Sonet and XUV300. During this time, my family front was going through changes, and it was time for us to get one as well. My earlier family car being a Nissan Micra diesel (currently at ~2,50,000 kms in 12 years and still running sweet with its K9K engine), I was leaning towards a diesel car since my mileage might justify it down the line. I was also not a big fan of turbo petrol 3-cylinders - which made me look only at diesels. I probably missed the opportunity of exploring BS4 diesel cars a year earlier. So, manufacturers with only petrol offerings didn't make it to my list. And for me, a solid build was on my mind – and XUV and Nexon had just started focusing on marketing in terms of safety at that point of time, when they both scored 5-star safety ratings in GNCAP. Though the Kia Sonet looked attractive in its own way, I felt cramped with 3 passengers behind and dropped it from my list as it would be tight with a baby seat behind (good decision then, as there are 2 baby seats to manage now!). During the test drive of a Nexon, I did not like the sight of the "floating" infotainment system and its digital MID console, and the black interior made me feel a bit claustrophobic, not to mention the fit and finish in certain interiors. And to top that the Tata showrooms in Goa were not following up keenly like the rest. Ultimately, I decided to stick with the XUV300 W8 Optional Diesel - deciding factors being the solid build, safety features like ESP, 7 airbags, the engine and its torque and the looks and more importantly the relatively quick delivery time of about a month and a half.

My Mahindra XUV300 Diesel | Long-term Ownership Review | 3 years and 60,000 km-02_cluster.png
The Nexon's instrument cluster (left, source: google images) felt distasteful for me, reason being the toyish cluster with calculator like MID. The XUV300's cluster was looking much better with no clutter for my eyes.

My Mahindra XUV300 Diesel | Long-term Ownership Review | 3 years and 60,000 km-03_pricecompare.png
Found this scribbling related to the pricing and wanted to post it! The ex-showroom price of the diesel Nexon XZ+(O) was a 15k higher than the XUV W8(O) at that point of time (2020, Oct-Nov). The Ex-showroom price for the same variant of XUV300 was selling at 13.93 Lakhs and with many features removed - almost tallying my invoice price!

Booking and delivery

Meanwhile, we went to the only showroom in Goa to look at the XUV300 in flesh and it was a sort of an instant hit with me – 7 airbags, 3-point seat belts (which later turned into a lap-belt during cost cut), the beige interiors, the classic MID unit with analogue dials, the Sabretooth-like DRLs. Unfortunately, there was neither a Diesel variant (even a low end) nor an aquamarine color car in their lot which I planned to book. I don’t think there’s anyone here that would’ve test driven a petrol variant to get a diesel one! I just did it due to lack of options within Goa and I had no time then to go to Belgaum or Mangalore to do this.

My Mahindra XUV300 Diesel | Long-term Ownership Review | 3 years and 60,000 km-04_1stlook.jpg
This was an instant hit - and the W8O's safety features at that time were unique for the segment like all 4-disc brakes (still exists) and 7 airbags including one for the driver knee (now removed).

Online booking: After inputs from a couple of friends and my brother in different cities, I ended up ordering an Aquamarine Diesel W8O MT on the 16 Nov 2020 – online with a booking amount of Rs. 5000. Even though I booked online, I had to contact the local dealer (Naik motors, Verna) and provide them with the order ID. After a year and a half in mid-2022, there was still no diesel XUV300 to test drive in Goa. The reason they gave was that people mostly preferred only petrol there. I received a call from Naik Motors in mid-2022 with a request to connect with a customer who was interested in getting a diesel variant!

My Mahindra XUV300 Diesel | Long-term Ownership Review | 3 years and 60,000 km-05_booking.jpg
The booking did not have any specific details included except the booking ID. There was no update on this page even when the car was delivered to me. There was no coordination between the production and the back-end team. I don’t know if any other manufacturers have this co-ordination though but things like this might bring a negative image to the company!

Follow-ups/Escalation: I was promised that the car would be delivered in 30-40 days by the sales exec at the time of booking. However, after 40 days I had to call the sales team constantly for updates. And I ultimately had to convey that I’m contemplating on cancelling the booking without any updates being provided. Within a day, in the end of December, I received a couple of calls from the regional manager that the car was allotted and will be arriving shortly to my destination. I was excited and this is when I was sort of tricked by the sales manager to pay the amount on 30th December citing possible price hikes from January. I did hold the payment for registration and insurance amount till I visually inspected the car on the 2nd week of Jan 2021. As a result, I did lose the 15k cash offer that was introduced in Jan 2021 since my car was billed in Dec 2020. Adding insult to the injury, there was no price hike till February that year. I say tricked which is a bit harsh, but it could’ve gone either way and the sales team claimed that they had no clue if the prices will increase or decrease and when and by how much. I did receive a call for Nexon test drive after 10 months after purchasing the 300.

First impression of a Diesel XUV300: I still remember how I was blown away by the NVH levels of the diesel variant while doing the PDI in the showroom parking lot (especially after driving a diesel Micra for about 10 years). I remember asking the sales exec. if it was a diesel variant or a petrol! The non-availability of a diesel variant in the showroom made it easier for me to do the PDI as I was confident that there won’t be an issue of swapping a TD car or its parts before delivery. Did necessary checks, including tyre and battery dates and told them to go ahead with the registration. The car was manufactured during the end of December 2020 according to the stickers in the car and the RC book with 9 km on the Odo.

My Mahindra XUV300 Diesel | Long-term Ownership Review | 3 years and 60,000 km-06_neptunepdi.jpg
First look of Neptune in the showroom parking lot, waiting to be mine!

Invoice: Ultimately, I ended up paying a sum of 13.97 Lakhs with accessories. Had I been patient, I would be looking at a 13.76 Lakh invoice! I was also promised a 2k cash offer on accessories, which I never received, and I never had the patience to follow up with the showroom.

My Mahindra XUV300 Diesel | Long-term Ownership Review | 3 years and 60,000 km-07_cost.jpg
Detailed price list of accessories and the actual on road price of Neptune in January 2021. I couldn’t do anything about the handling charges, and I was ready to pay for their registration service due to the notorious nature of the RTO against non-locals. The insurance was with Tata AIG matched to my quote from other external sources.

Accessories: Of all these accessories I regret buying the Illuminated sill plates as they have failed miserably (once within 6 months after installation and later again after 2 years). Not only the sill plates failed but the connection which the dealer-side technician made was very poor - resulting in the stock battery failing within 3 years. I have posted about it in the thread "Cabin lamp issue in my XUV300". (This issue stands resolved). Also, the sill plate lights make it difficult to see the ground at night due to its brightness – it’s absolutely not recommended in my opinion.

My Mahindra XUV300 Diesel | Long-term Ownership Review | 3 years and 60,000 km-08_aquamarinekit.jpg
The Aquamarine kit replaces all the piano black inserts inside the car and matching the exterior paint. (Note the panel around the gear lever, AC vents, Panel around infotainment system).

The 'Aquamarine kit' accessory is a very nice addition to the car – all AC vents, central console, infotainment console and front and rear door armrest piano blacks were replaced with Aquamarine coloured inserts. I recommend this as it not only replaces the scratch magnet piano black but also adds to the interior look. I'm not sure if any other brands in this range provide such accessories. Did not laminate the flooring as I felt it is unnecessary and spoils the interior. The rear tray is not very strong as usual by OEM. It is just like the tray in my old Micra. Cannot keep anything heavy – just used for lighter stuff and to cover up the boot. Rest of the accessories are holding up good.

Delivery and Pooja: The entire RTO process was smooth, and I was given delivery on the afternoon of auspicious Sankranti day on Jan 14th, 2021.

My Mahindra XUV300 Diesel | Long-term Ownership Review | 3 years and 60,000 km-09_delivery.jpg
This is how Neptune was delivered. I asked the dealership to remove all the plastics. They just stuck some bows and a garland. Simple and Neat! The actual delivery picture is missing from my archive!

My Mahindra XUV300 Diesel | Long-term Ownership Review | 3 years and 60,000 km-10_pooja.jpg
Just after a pooja in a nearby temple.

Modifications Performed

Underbody coating: Not a mod, but the first thing I did was under chassis and silencer coating from 3M when the car was just 50 km and less than a week old. Everything was fresh and new then and it was an easy job. The car was given a wash and dried before this procedure. I also asked them to install some PPF on the door edges, A and C pillar piano black inserts, ORVM, door handle insides, and bumper corners which are prone to scratches. Later during a trip to Bangalore, I installed the CR-70 sun film for the windshield to cut out the heat. I do not know the exact amount of heat rejection after this installation, but I can feel the AC working easy to cool the cabin, especially with no blowers for the rear passengers.

My Mahindra XUV300 Diesel | Long-term Ownership Review | 3 years and 60,000 km-11_ubcoating.jpg
Underbody coating for rust prevention and silencer coating was done when the car was just 50 km run. Another addition was the CR70 on the windshield. I had to replace the fast tag for this. Everything was done from 3M outlets in Goa and Bangalore. Cost around 18k in early 2021.

Seatbelt modification: The first shocker after I ordered the car was the deletion of 3-point seatbelt for the rear middle passenger. I got to know about this through some social media reports. Features that were removed/changed along with this were the orange ambient lights under the front-door armrests, the heated ORVMs, roof rail colour change (from silver to black), and the spare tyre downsize from 215/55/17 to 205/60/16. This was not explicitly mentioned by the showroom. For them, these were subtle changes and were not bothered about that. I ordered the required 3-point seatbelt parts through boodmo even before the car was delivered. Upon delivery, I asked the showroom regarding the possibility of fitting the 3-point seat belt through them. The technician there was so clueless about my intention till I showed the 3-point seatbelt in the original TD car. His response was that I need to change the entire seat back. Understood that there’s no use depending on the showroom, and I took it into my own hands and there went the first modification 3 months after purchase! I have detailed this in the thread here (XUV300: I converted the lap-belt to a *safer* 3-point seatbelt!). A special mention to then service advisor at Naik Motors, Verna – he took the part number of a part (mini buckle) that I missed to order and made it available within a week through their dealership. Total Cost ~3.5k and some hours in early 2021.

My Mahindra XUV300 Diesel | Long-term Ownership Review | 3 years and 60,000 km-12_3ptseat.png
A before and after view of the rear seat belts. Offering 3-Point seat belt for the rear passenger was one of the USPs of 300 at launch! It was replaced with a lap belt from somewhere in August 2020, about 1.5 years after the launch.

Headlamp upgrade: As many users pointed out, the headlamps (both H1 and H7) were a bit of a let-down (Is there anyone who found the OEM halogen lamps satisfactory? I'm seeing the same discussions in threads ranging from Sonet, Nexon to even Crysta!) and I decided to upgrade them about 6 months down the line. Considering the Ssangyong Tivoli’s gene in its makeup, I checked the possibility of installing HIDs in the 300 with a Tivoli’s manual. The fuse layout and the fuse box of the 300(both internal and engine bay) were from Ssangyong and matched with the Tivoli’s layout. Only difference was some extra features like ventilated and heated seats, heated steering and ADAS features were removed in the 300. The fuse ratings and bulb wattages were also the same as the Tivoli’s. The top version of Tivoli had 35w HIDs installed from the factory. Considering these similarities, I got the Osram 35W HID kit installed through an accessory store in Trivandrum. Initially, the installation resulted in the infamous shadow patch on the road. After referring to this post (XUV500 with HID setup - And a shadow problem), we shaved off a portion of the holder and installed it upside down in the bulb holder resulting in a perfect light throw. Over 2.5 years and 50k kms down the road, the HID kit is working well and would highly recommend. Cost 10k including installation in mid-2021. Later I installed the FE Retrofit’s LED in H1 with a lot of hesitation as described in this post (Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here). I was not convinced with this brand as I was not even sure if it was 40W or 55W (as you can see pictures in the link above). I recently upgraded to a well-known brand – Osram 50W LEDs 4200k lights which looks much better during night drives. I also installed the Aozoom’s 25w tri-LED fog lamps in H11. This combination is working well for my eyes. Note for those who did not see the link above: I do not recommend the Automotive Lighting Experts - they just want to do business. They even recommended to install HIDs in the high beam! Here’s a dashcam video of my H7 setup: .

Dashcam installation: I procured the Vantrue N4 3-channel dashcam from the US through my cousin along with the GPS mount and the hardwiring kit. Sony Starvis sensor was popular at that time and this dashcam had it. Except the night-time license plate reflection, it has been working very well in our conditions so far. I installed it as a DIY and the post related to this installation can be seen here (DIY Install: Hardwired Front and Rear Dash Cam). I used the hardwiring kit and piggy backed it to the hazard lamp fuse, which has power supply all the time. I am using a 256GB class 10 SD card for this which can hold up to 8 to 10 hours of 3 channel videos. I use the parking mode also which cuts the power off if the battery voltage goes below 12V. Cost ~25k and some hours for installation. It’s interesting that a 4-channel Vantrue N5 with Sony Starvis 2 sensor is available now in the market!
Here are some of the incidents that were recorded with this device over time

Brake Caliper Paint: To celebrate the 2-year mark, I wanted to give Neptune a refresh and decided to colour the caliper yellow. With the help of a local garage with a paint booth, the calipers were removed and cleaned, coated with a primer, and then sprayed yellow. While this work was going on I did a mistake of not being there. The result was caliper slide pins were mismatched while reassembling and I had to deal with caliper rattling noises especially on bad roads and reflectors. There are rubber bushings in one of the 2 pins which should be inserted in the correct bore. It took several attempts and all new set of slide pins to fix this issue. I had to visit 2 service centres – Sleeba and Sons and CBC Motors, twice, and even the service guys fixed the pins in wrong slots! What I learned from this: Don’t do unnecessary stuff as long as your car is running good and never ever give my car without my presence to fix any issue, it will only get worse! I should have done it myself only by removing wheels and not the entire caliper assembly. Cost for painting: 2k.

My Mahindra XUV300 Diesel | Long-term Ownership Review | 3 years and 60,000 km-13_caliperpaint.jpg
When it was freshly painted yellow. I do like it till now. Some paint has chipped away due to handling at later stages, but the paint chips are not really visible without removing the wheels.

4-door damping: In the initial months after the purchase, there were many reports in social media XUV300 groups regarding a bad speaker setup in this car. However, the setup felt decent enough considering that I can differentiate between a bad quality and a good quality sound. I use my old (2008) ipod classic 120GB with the aux cable to listen to my favourites as I know that the source files are important, and many streaming apps don’t match the quality. Even then, I felt the audio from apps like Spotify, YouTube etc. is decent enough to listen to at comfortable volume while driving on highways. I have barely exceeded the volume level 4 while driving on highways considering that the NVH levels are quite good in this car. When the car was new, I enquired one of the famous audio installers in Bangalore regarding possibilities of upgrading the sound system. When I heard that a decent setup would set you back by a minimum of Rs. 1,00,000, I listened to the stock set up again and it sounded much better than earlier! With kids traveling most of the times with us, there’s no point in investing this money here to listen to “the wheels on the bus” and “old macdonald”. I took help of the same accessory store in Trivandrum to install the damping sheets on all 4 doors. There’s a slight improvement in the sound quality, especially the bass doesn’t break in certain songs anymore. As far as my listening goes, I do try to download the best possible audio to upload into the USB / ipod classic and the system plays .flac and .aac files default which makes it easy to listen to good quality songs without any conversion.

Horn Upgrade: With the help of bhpian Krishnakumar’s post (DIY: Upgrading Mahindra XUV300 horn to Hella Chrome Trumpet), it was a straightforward task to complete my horn installation. Just followed his post – was able to procure the connectors in a CNG outlet (Total Auto Care, Bangalore) and made the pigtail myself - it was a perfect fit. Installed the same Hella Chrome procured from Amazon. I still have a couple of connectors remaining with me if anyone's interested in Bangalore.

Routine Service / Warranty Claims / Running Repair - Experiences

My Mahindra XUV300 Diesel | Long-term Ownership Review | 3 years and 60,000 km-14_timeline.jpg
Here's the timeline of Neptune. Words in purple are routine services, red ones are repairs; blue are the modifications that are carried out, black ones are wear/tear replacements and light green ones are positive experiences from M&M. The downtime was only during the battery issue.

Overall, it has been a good experience with the service so far after dealing with various dealerships across 4 states. I have to acknowledge the help of Mr. Kumaravel, CRM head from Mahindra for ensuring quality service on many occasions. A couple of exceptions (for running repairs and inflated billing) are also there. After reading about many fiascos across multiple brands, I just made sure that I’m always present during every service, even if it means that I must take a day off. Usual service actions have all been carried out as per manual recommendations, except during the 50k service, where the cabin AC filter was unchanged and was not informed to me! At 60k, I was told that there was no cabin AC filter available in stock even before the service. I have bought a few filters from boodmo during sale and stocked it for future use. Also, I had a weird issue with the turbo lag which I had complained about within the first 40 days of the ownership (details posted here (Mahindra XUV300 : Official Review) and here (Mahindra XUV300 : Official Review)). There was an ECU update for fixing this issue that was provided only during the 30k km service, roughly after 1.5 years – which is unusually long for an update to come especially after reporting it multiple times.

The routine maintenance costs are given below. I would say that the best experience in terms of work, handling a situation, and billing was at Naik Motors, Goa – though I was not able to visit them after 15k km. PPS at Adugodi and Thanissandra branches did very well – only negative was slow delivery mostly by the end of the day. PPS at Bommasandra has an exceptionally good delivery time, but the billing has been erratic with me, and the PPS CRM has promised me to rectify it. The 'not so great' experiences in service were for ‘running repairs’. Ramani Motors in Coimbatore wanted to open the entire bumper to check for more bites and wanting to possibly replace the engine bay wiring harness with an estimated cost up to 20k when I showed up for the rat bite on DRL wire. I understand that it is better to give a thorough check, but it is not fair to estimate the damages even before touching the car. Similarly, Sleeba and Sons and CBC Motors in Trivandrum would come in the bottom of my list as they were not able to fix the caliper slide pins in correct positions. The test drive fellow from the former during the caliper rattling episode had the audacity to blame the steering column and told me to replace it under warranty just because their day was getting over and wanted to close this case. After negative feedback, I was called again by their manager to rectify it. I visited again and tried fixing it but never completely fixed the issue. Another test driver there is one of the roughest I’ve seen, throwing the car into potholes and breakers at high speeds. The CBC motors also tried fixing it with new slide pins but couldn’t successfully do it. After this, I removed all the slide pins to check their installation and realised that they had successfully managed to install them wrongly. I compared with a friend’s car and the diagrams on boodmo to fix them at home. I have purchased an extra set of slide pins online (during sale), just in case if the problem resurfaces.

My Mahindra XUV300 Diesel | Long-term Ownership Review | 3 years and 60,000 km-15_servicecosts.jpg
Maintenance service cost in detail: Initially the engine oil component was a major part of the cost. With time, the labour charges started competing with it! With my usage, I had to so far do 2 services in a year – usually in May – June and Nov – Dec. Disclaimer: The service costs won't be the same anymore as they keep rising every year!

10k Service: June 2021 @ Naik Motors, Goa. Free service and it was on the dot cost wise, as estimated in Mahindra’s app. Even though it was in between peak covid times, the SA did not bother to add any covid disposable items in the final bill. I had some minor rat bites in the engine bay (both DRL wires) when the car was just 4 months old @ ~8k kms. The service technicians were able to fix it in a couple of hours without charging anything extra during this 10k service. They showed me what they have done and at later stages I had soldered the wire with a proper heat shrink tubes myself. They were quite professional even though there’s just one Mahindra service for entire Goa! Kudos to Naik Motors, Goa here. Spent more than half a day here. (On the contrary, Ramani Motors in Coimbatore wanted one day to check the entire engine bay and wanted to fully change the wiring harness, which would need another week of waiting for parts and will include labour cost. They charged Rs. 289 for disassembling and reassembling the headlight assembly).

My Mahindra XUV300 Diesel | Long-term Ownership Review | 3 years and 60,000 km-16_ratbitedrl.jpg
Out of all wires, the rats were kind enough to choose to bite off only the brown DRL wires on both sides. Thankfully no other rat damages in the engine bay till date, touchwood.

Warranty Claim #1: June 2021 @ Naik Motors, Goa. The IRVM of my car was rattling pretty bad. During the 10k service, they immediately tried fixing the rattling at first. However, nothing sorted out the issue. A new IRVM order was placed after contacting the Mahindra technicians through video calls during test drive to show the rattling IRVM. It arrived within a couple of weeks and was replaced under warranty. The new ORVM vendor was apparently changed during this time according to the service advisor. The cost of this IRVM was around 14k (but replaced under warranty).

20k service: Nov 2021 @ PPS Adugodi. Everything was running smooth and during this routine service, I received the RPAS and infotainment software updates. Even though it was a free service, some extra stuff like ‘rust off’ for brake rotor cleaning and ‘covid disposables’ were added to the bill by the end of the day. Front Wiper blades were changed on my request. I still have no idea why brake rotor cleaning is required at 20k km. This added labour charges and an overall increase in the bill by ~20% (Rs. 615). Spent an entire day here.

Warranty Claim #2: @ PPS Adugodi. Immediately after the software update during the 20k service, the reverse camera showed an odd behaviour. The camera contrast went for a toss every first time the reverse gear was engaged. At subsequent attempts, the display showed normal contrast. I’ve posted about this issue in the review discussion thread of XUV300 here (Mahindra XUV300 : Official Review) and here (Mahindra XUV300 : Official Review). Soon, parking sensor in the rear failed with a ‘?’. The CoTek (Mr. Kannan and his team at that time) in PPS Adugodi tried to sort out the issue for an entire day by changing the parking sensors and checking the entire wiring harness. However, they couldn’t figure out any issue with the sensors nor wiring and ultimately ended up ordering a new RPAS wiring harness under warranty. The rear camera brightness issue was not fixed till the next service. In a week, new wiring harness installed by Mr. Kannan and team and the parking sensor issue was sorted out. I believe this issue could have been due to the software update. The CRM, Mr. Kumaravel had always been helpful on many occasions. He called up the Anant Cars BG Road to take in my car in their body shop (as Adugodi workshop did not have a body shop facility) for a front bumper realignment after I had a slow speed dog hit in Goa. Even though it was under the discretion of the service center to charge me, they did not! Within a month, I again visited the BG Road workshop to install the door mood lamps (that originally used to be part of the car). They did not charge me for the work since they were not sure if the connection was present. Fortunately, the wiring harness had the connection for these mood lamps hidden inside the door panel!

My Mahindra XUV300 Diesel | Long-term Ownership Review | 3 years and 60,000 km-17_moodlamp.jpg
These orange lamps light up the front door pockets and are really useful at nights. They are not very bright and are very warm and lights up only the necessary zone. I spent ~10k for these as it is imported from South Korea and is a part of Ssangyong.

30k service: May 2022 @ PPS Adugodi. An important service where I received the ECU update for the turbo issue that I complained about within the first 40 days of ownership (as mentioned above). Also received the software update to fix the reverse cam contrast issue (mentioned earlier at 20k service). After the last experience in billing, I told them not to add unnecessary stuffs – but covid disposables were still added in the bill. However, they did give a small discount on the bill after mentioning about the last service bill. Again, spent all the second half of the day here. Rear Wiper was replaced on my request during this service.

40k service: Dec 2022 @ PPS Bommasandra. As I didn’t want to spend an entire day, I was suggested to try PPS Bommasandra. Mr. Roch Immanuel, the service manager here promised me to do quick work. They did use ‘rustoff’ again to clean the brake rotors, regreased the caliper pins and cleaned the brake components in this service. Also, the brake fluid was only removed from the reservoir and topped up with fresh oil, but they didn’t do brake bleeding. When asked, the technician said that they will bleed during the brake pad changes. Still charged for entire labour. Here, the service bill was inflated by Rs. 1328 (~18% increase in bill) which included – some unknown consumables, spray, rustoff (with 28% tax!) OBD charges (as I complained of Turbo noise, they wanted to use OBD scan tool – wasn’t even a laptop, but the one which connects with their mobile phones). Was disappointed in PPS Bommasandra. Only good thing, they gave the car back in 3 hours and I was able to be present there with the vehicle in the service bay. And my question was why OBD charges when my car is still under warranty. The CRM agreed to my point!

Dead Stock Battery/ Replacement: Around 47k km, I realized something unusual happening with the car. Sometimes it took more than one crank to start the car. And sometimes the illuminated sill plates would flicker / act dead randomly. I didn’t suspect anything, but it was getting difficult to ignore. Ultimately, I woke up one day to find a dead battery after a 400 km highway trip. I had to call the RSA for the first time – twice in 2 days. The entire episode regarding this issue is posted here (Cabin lamp issue in my XUV300). Ultimately, I purchased a new Amaron Flo battery (Rs. 6500).

My Mahindra XUV300 Diesel | Long-term Ownership Review | 3 years and 60,000 km-18_rsa.jpg
The RSA arrived in a span of 45 minutes from my call to the call-centre. The battery was jump started and his diagnosis was that there was some leakage, and it is affecting the battery since it was sparking when connecting the terminals.

50k service: June 2023 @ PPS Thanissandra. With an intention to fix the existing cabin lamp malfunction, I was advised to visit the CoTek (Mr. Sharath) there this time. This issue has revealed many changes that have happened with the electricals of the car since its first iteration in 2019. The initial batches had many Ssangyong parts which has later given way to the localised parts since somewhere in 2021. Even the fuse layout has been changed somewhere in mid-2021 which we realised during the meetup with bhpian Krishnakumar (posted here).

My Mahindra XUV300 Diesel | Long-term Ownership Review | 3 years and 60,000 km-19_fuse.jpg
Completely different fuse layout between 2021 models! Feature cuts and changes have been rampant in XUV300 on the outside and the inside as well!

Air filter was changed during this service since it had a small but significant tear. Cabin AC filter was not available in stock and wasn’t mentioned to me! After about 10 days when I was verifying the bill, I discovered that it wasn’t changed. When questioned, the SA said that the part was not in stock - casually. The cabin lamp issue was fixed after figuring out the issue. Even though there’s appointment scheduled, it just takes an entire day to complete it. The servicing started only after 2 PM and ended by 6 PM! I purchased a new AC filter and installed DIY later. Another front wiper replacement was carried out, this time as DIY.

New Battery failure: During a routine cleaning I noticed rust formation on the bolt that was holding the battery in the tray and some slight white salt formation. I didn’t give much thought and that was a mistake. In a month, it corroded the paint of the battery tray, and rusted the bolts of the tray. There was a leak from the side of the battery – it was a manufacturing defect which took 6 months for me to notice after purchasing this battery. I immediately replaced it under warranty from Amaron and a new 09/2023 manufactured battery was installed. To avoid further rusting of the battery and to clean up the salts, I removed the entire setup and coated them with Zinc.

My Mahindra XUV300 Diesel | Long-term Ownership Review | 3 years and 60,000 km-20_batterytray.jpg
New battery fails within 6 months due to mfg. defect. Immediately fixed this in a nearby garage.

60k service: November 2023 @ PPS Bommasandra. After having a bit of a negative experience with billing the last time, I decided to give PPS Bommasandra another chance and took appointment with them. The big advantage of this service center is that you will receive your car back in 3 – 4 hours whilst some service centers take an entire day or even a couple of days (as seen in some groups and forums in the social media) for a normal routine service. I called up in the morning for this service appointment and Mr. Roch Immanuel booked a slot and blocked a lift for servicing. I reached around 1130 AM and the service started by 1215 PM. Another advantage here is that you can view the full servicing action from the lounge and from the service bay entry point. Brake rotors and pads were cleaned along with caliper slide pins greasing. Coolant was completely flushed, and fresh coolant was added. Air filter change was skipped since it was installed new at 50k service. Again, cabin AC filter was skipped due to non-availability of the part. At the end of the day, there was again a problem with billing – inflating the bill with components like brake bleeding and OBD charges. I sat down with them and removed all unnecessary components and left feedback regarding this billing issue and as expected, received a call from the service head PPS in conference call with the service manager and sorted the issue out – and Mr. Immanuel promised me a free full check-up for the car along with some coatings at my convenience any time during the next visit.

My Mahindra XUV300 Diesel | Long-term Ownership Review | 3 years and 60,000 km-21_bommasandra.jpg
During the 60k service at one of the smallest Mahindra service stations. You can view the progress from outside or from the lounge (bottom). A great delivery time of about 3 hours! No washing service available here.

When looking at the labour charges during these service visits, it is obvious that one service station has made sure that the labour costs crossed Rs.3000, even though work is technically simple. For instance, changing the transmission oil took more effort in 50k service than what was needed for brake fluid and coolant replacement. However, the charges didn't justify that. On a couple of occasions, the brake cleaning jobs were taken up by the service station without any additional costs. The brake cleaning job includes removal of brake pads and cleaning the calipers with the brake cleaner. They also sand the rotors. The engine oil costs have increased by almost Rs. 1000 in 3 years as we can see in this plot.

My Mahindra XUV300 Diesel | Long-term Ownership Review | 3 years and 60,000 km-21a_labour-charges.jpg
A look at the trends in cost of engine oil and labour costs.

Extended Warranty / RSA and Insurance

The Standard Warranty was for 3 years and unlimited kilometers. The RSA was provided for 2 years. I purchased the extended warranty for 2 more years and the RSA scheme for 3 more years. I've been purchasing the insurance through the dealers themselves.

My Mahindra XUV300 Diesel | Long-term Ownership Review | 3 years and 60,000 km-22_insurance.png
Extended warranty costed a bit more since I purchased it one year after registration. Insurance renewals have been matched with quotations that I get.

Last edited by Goandiaries : 12th February 2024 at 02:58.
Goandiaries is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2024, 12:51   #2
BHPian

re: My Mahindra XUV300 | Long-term Ownership Review | 3-Years and 60,000 km

Mileage and Fuel Statistics

My Mahindra XUV300 Diesel | Long-term Ownership Review | 3 years and 60,000 km-22_mileagestat.png
Graphs showing the mileage and drive pattern for 60k km (top). The orange sections are drives with either additives or Power/Green diesel. Dials show the % of city (red), highway (green) and fast city (orange) drives. Graph 2 shows the quantity and cost of fuel with additives/green diesels in red dots.

Here’s my mileage and fuel stats – I tried to include as much information as possible without cluttering this plot. I split my usage simply into 3 categories – highways, where I drive at a constant speed for a longer period of time; fast city, wherein I drive at a quicker pace but this has considerable traffic and keeps slowing you down for stuffs like traffic signals and speed breakers (example: roads in Goa; though 2 laned we can maintain an average of 30-40 kmph); slow city – wherein I drive at a very slow pace, like in Bangalore and Chennai where it is highly unpredictable (sometimes with heavy bumper to bumper and sometimes quick traffic). Usually, when I go for a long trip, I have included the entire trip as a highway, even if I start from Bangalore or any other ‘fast city’. I observed an overall average mileage of 17 km/L over 60k km.

Each tri-coloured dial represent drive pattern within that 10k km segment in the plot. Overall, 59.1% of my drive was in highways, 20.2% fast city drives, and 20.7% slow city drives. An interesting observation: the highway drive was least between 30k – 40k km segment (39%), but the overall mileage (moving Avg.) was better in this segment thanks to a maximum mileage of 21.37 km/L achieved in this period. However, the 10k – 20k km segment had the highest highway run (75.6%) and a best average return of 17.89 km/L (refer table below for exact numbers).

The dual coloured mileage line in the above plot shows the type of diesel I used – mostly normal diesel (plotted in dark teal colour). The orange-coloured sections are diesel with additives as highlighted in dotted circles. I have used only one external additive so far – the Liqui Moly Diesel Additive (LM) and the Shell and IndianOil’s XtraGreen diesels on a few occasions. Another interesting observation in the data is when I used LM at 2 occasions (refer the plot please), there was an immediate improvement in mileage (coloured band marked for ~2000km - since LM claims that their product’s effectiveness lasts for ~2000km). The drive pattern (coloured, above the orange additive sections on the plot) also showed that despite driving a major chunk under city conditions (48%) and only 32% on highways, there was a good mileage recorded for ~2000km. However, while using the same LM product again, initially there was a mileage improvement but while driving under unpredictable slow city conditions, it dropped back to the usual within the same ~2000 km range. Using Shell diesel returned an above average mileage, but the data consisted mostly of highway runs. Indian Oil’s XtraGreen did not make much of a difference mileage-wise according to my data. The mileage data here is tank full to tank full method and not the MID data. I did not record the MID reading, but I’ve observed it to be a km or 2 per litre above the tankful method in several occasions (as recorded by bhpian Krishnakumar’s ‘Yoda’ here).

My Mahindra XUV300 Diesel | Long-term Ownership Review | 3 years and 60,000 km-23_fuelstat.png
Fuel stats for 60k km segmented into every 10k km. Also included is the most used fuel brand and the least used. The inner wheel shows the number of fuel station visits in different States.

My least preferred fuel outlets are Shell and Reliance, followed by HP. The most preferred fuel brand was Nayara and erstwhile Essar together (~36%) followed by Indian Oil (31.4%). BP was somewhere in the middle (~25%). I consider myself lucky to use the fuel stations in states where the diesel cost was low – in Goa and Karnataka. The reason there are a lot of dots below 25 Litre mark (mileage plot above, showing fuel quantity) – I top-up before crossing the border to maximize the cost advantage (even though it is not a big difference overall in the amount – but just psychological). Another observation not shown in these plots are the longest city drive that lasted 1408 km for about 40 days within KL and 1388 km over 60 days in KA. The longest highway run lasted for 2184 km over 8 days covering 3 states.

DPF Warnings: With the above usage, I have observed the DPF regeneration required twice over this 60k km. On both these occasions, I did not immediately do the DPF regeneration/highway run since the warning disappeared itself after turning off the car. Eventually the highway trips may have cleared whatever soot beginning to accumulate. So far, the DPF situation is satisfactory with my usage.

My Mahindra XUV300 Diesel | Long-term Ownership Review | 3 years and 60,000 km-23a_dpfwarn.jpg
One of the two DPF warnings at 57k km. The car was driven for about 600 km over 45 days within Bangalore City with many short runs probably leading to this DPF issue. The other one was around 31k km when driving inside city for more than 1300km.

General Wear and Tear conditions

Brake pad wear: The brake caliper and pads are from KBX and have done a very good job so far. These pictures were taken in 2023 at ~51k km while cleaning them at home. Since I had the replacement pads already (purchased replacement pads from boodmo during their sale with a lowest price possible), I could take these comparison photos. The old pads in the front had ~40% of its life left while the rear pads had about 60% of its life left. Reviewed them again at 60k service as well (couldn’t take photos). Expecting another 20k of life out of these old pads. Maybe I would replace all tyres and brake pads at the same time, depending on their remaining life. The rotors are also in a good shape so far with a lot of life left in them. I always wonder when people say that brake pads need to be changed every 20 – 30k km interval – but of course it depends largely on driving habits! Another thing with the rear brakes is that if the discs are wet after washing and if hand brakes are used while parking, it makes a huge noise while the pads are getting ‘unstuck’ from the rotors the next time you release it. So, the workaround for this is when you wash the car – do not use handbrake while parking. Or just drive around your block and use the brakes generously (to dry it) before parking. This has worked for me well.

My Mahindra XUV300 Diesel | Long-term Ownership Review | 3 years and 60,000 km-24_brakepads.jpg
Brake pad comparison at 51k kms with new sets. After hearing many of them changing pads well before this, I am happy that these pads are having a good life so far.

Tyres & Wheels: The stock tyres are MRF Wanderer ecotred street series made in Dec 2021 and about the same age as the car itself. I’ve done balancing and alignments roughly at every 10k – once from Mahindra, Goa, and the rest from Madhus in Bangalore. About 2 – 2.5 mm of useable treads are remaining in all 4 tyres till it touches the tyre wear indicator. There’s a difference of about 0.5mm in the tread depth between the outer and the inner edges in all 4 tyres with lesser tread on the outside edge as expected! Had an idea of flipping them inside out on all 4 wheels to get the maximum safe life out of each tyre. I was also thinking of slightly upsize the sidewall from 215/55/R17 to 215/60/R17 (Creta uses this size on some trims) for better cushioning on bad roads – but not entirely sure if that change is recommended. The diamond cut alloys have been ok so far, but I’ve started seeing some corrosion on the top lacquer layer in a couple of wheels – making them look a bit shabby. Also, the technicians in M&M and those outside in the local garage don’t care about these alloy wheels to the extent that they even stand on them as if they were steel rims! As a result, there are undesirable scuff marks and chips. I’ve sort of given up on this diamond cut alloys and probably will go for steel wheels in the future which costs only a fraction compared to the alloys, abuse friendly and easy to maintain.

My Mahindra XUV300 Diesel | Long-term Ownership Review | 3 years and 60,000 km-25_alloycorrosion.jpg
Corrosion marks on one of the wheels. The other 3 doesn't have to this extent but have some marks.

Wiper blades: The OEM blades are from Syndicate which I have not heard of. However, their performance has been satisfactory so far – there has been no juddering, squeaking and the pressure on the windshield is quite enough to give a clean wipe. I have stuck to the OEM blades for replacements as they cost quite cheap and work well. The first pair of front blades and the rear wiper were changed during the 20k km service. And the second pair of front blades were replaced (DIY) at ~53k. The rear wipers have been working well so far even though I use it regularly during rains. After the first wiper set change, I always tried to keep the windshields squeaky clean. As a result, the second wiper set lasted for 30k km.

My Mahindra XUV300 Diesel | Long-term Ownership Review | 3 years and 60,000 km-26_wiperblades.jpg
The last time I did the front wiper change as DIY. The wipers are branded as Syndicate, the OEM suppliers for M&M.

Suspension: The suspension noise has been a big drawback as far as I am concerned with the XUV300. Even though the ride quality is good and comfortable, there are frequent instances where even the minor white rumble strips cause the noise and sometimes even the car moves sideways if I drive fast over the thicker white strips. There were multiple recalls for the stabilizer link rod replacements, but my VIN did not have a call for this replacement. I am not sure if any of the bushings have gone bad (I still do not qualify to inspect this as a DIY as I do not have the time and special tools for this work).

Beige Interiors: There was a big question of how I would maintain the beige interiors – but believe it or not, there has been no issue cleaning them if dirty. The only area where you can make out that the car is a bit old is when you note the stitches and the portion where the rear seat buckle hides. They turn dirty and won’t turn back to the original colour easily. The door pads on the driver sides have some marks but I feel it’s not pathetic. I usually clean the seats with 3M foaming interior cleaner – maybe once in 5 or 6 months or whenever it is dirty. I have never used any dash polish so far.

My Mahindra XUV300 Diesel | Long-term Ownership Review | 3 years and 60,000 km-27_beigeinterior.jpg
The beige interiors have held up well so far. The most used driver's seat in this picture shows the reality. There are no cracks or tears developing on the seat. The dirtiest portion could be the stitches that I do not clean as much as the seats.

My Mahindra XUV300 Diesel | Long-term Ownership Review | 3 years and 60,000 km-28_doorpad.jpg
The door pads also get dirty often. But it is not very difficult to clean with some soap water. The imperfections can be easily hidden with a whiff of hot air if needed - an advantage with these hard plastics.

My Mahindra XUV300 Diesel | Long-term Ownership Review | 3 years and 60,000 km-29_roof.jpg
The roof-liner has retained its colour and shape. Other commonly touched surfaces are holding up well so far.

Things I dislike

• The suspension noise / behavior as mentioned above.
  • The turbo's weird noise along with sputtered acceleration which sometimes comes back at highway speeds (much better after the ECU update though).
  • Auto Start/Stop - Unfortunately part of every vehicle these days and needs to be turned off at every ignition cycle.
  • Diamond cut alloys – like the design, but not the way the top lacquer layer is giving away in certain areas – leading to ugly looking wheels.
  • Wiper interval settings – In my old micra, the ‘interval’ settings has pre-defined intervals which work flawlessly. But in XUV, I understand that you can fix your own setting but its not been intuitive for me atleast. So I end up using the slow wiper mode most of the time. Am not using the Auto wiper mode as I feel I understand the need better than the computer.
  • Rear wiper washer delay – This issue has been discussed here (Annoying rear wiper/washer behavior in the Mahindra XUV300)
  • Charging ports – There are only 2 standard USB ports – in the front console. One of this reads data and is mostly connected to the smartphone for Android Auto. The other port only supplies power and powers up my old iPod classic which does not have a good battery. In the event of someone else wanting to charge their phones, there’s no option other than using one of the above-mentioned ports.
  • Infotainment Volume behaviour – I usually keep the volume level at 2 to 4 depending on the need. Sometimes, when I receive a phone call via car Bluetooth and end the call, the music volume matches to the phone call volume of the car and blasts the speaker for a second before it goes back to the normal. This has scared the hell out of the kids many times. This does not happen every single time I receive a phone call. I understood that it happens only when the music source is Aux. When the music source is through AA, it pauses the music while attending the phone call and this issue does not happen. So, I pause the iPod music before attending the phone call as a workaround.
  • Default radio noise - when starting the car fresh, the audio goes back to irritating radio noise. There is no memory function to keep the last known setting. To overcome this, the users have to either keep the volume in zero before switching off the car or to keep the Aux cable plugged in. In my case, the iPod is connected through Aux, and I don't face this issue often.
  • Poor quality accessories – I found the fit and finish of some of the accessories are mediocre even though they are quite useful. The rear parcel tray is one of the worst. I have no idea if this is the case with every manufacturer - it just bends in the middle with its own weight. The illuminated scuff plates come next – it is just not worth the hassle it gives later during the ownership. And the workmanship – to supply power to these scuff plates resulted in a dead battery in my case. The rubber mats are sturdy, but the fit isn’t perfect along the edges, especially the rear. You must fold it twice (once under the front seats and then in the middle) to remove it out of the car which spills the dirt onto the carpet as the mat is one single piece on the rear. The sunshades which are magnetic has caused scratches on the portion where the magnets are in contact with the door frame.

Special Mention matters

Engine / Clutch / Gear: The 4D15 engine is so refined that sometimes people confuse it with a petrol variant. Such is the NVH levels inside the cabin. With music and Ac blower on minimum required setting, we barely hear the engine running. I think this is the first Mahindra with such engine refinement. And the way it delivers power, I don’t need to downshift while overtaking on many occasions. Regarding clutch, I read a lot of people complaining about the clutch wear in as short as 5000 km. But I understand now, it must be their driving style including many first owners. I was initially worried that it has probably a very sensitive and easy to wear clutch. At present, it is slightly harder when compared with the new clutch, but nothing like unusable. Sometimes I do get some knee discomfort especially while driving inside the city or bumper to bumper traffic since the clutch travel is long. Driving long journeys in this vehicle is quite comfortable – with no issues with the knee as we hardly use it. The gear throw is comfortable for me and sometimes I’ve felt the first 2 gears to be notchy, but no issues so far.

My Mahindra XUV300 Diesel | Long-term Ownership Review | 3 years and 60,000 km-29b_rpm_overheat.jpg
In high altitudes like Ooty and Kodaikanal (or anywhere above 1000 m above msl), the RPM of the engine was slightly above normal. Also, in one instance when I was climbing a steep incline (Kalhatty road to Ooty, TN), the engine heat was above normal. This happened only when climbing this zone.

NVH after 3 years: I feel the engine noise has become a bit louder when compared to the initial days. I measured the noise levels with the phone when the car was new – out of my excitement for the quiet cabin. There are white paddings throughout the car – under the A pillar, B pillar trims within door pads, boot doors and even on the inside of the wheel arches. I am not posting the measurements I took as I know it is just a rough measurement using the smartphone and could be of no meaning!

Engine Oil Level: I noticed a slightly higher oil level in the dipstick - above the maximum mark before 40k km service. I enquired with the service station in Bommasandra, and a couple of other service stations over phone regarding the issues that it could lead to. There was no proper answer for that question for a long time. I even asked during the 40k service to keep about 300 ml oil in the can so that the oil level remains between the min and max mark. My idea was that it could be because the oil probably is not draining completely during each service and adding up with the new oil during each service – thus increasing over time. However, I recently saw a video regarding the increasing engine oil level over time in BS-6 diesels which happens to be some normal affair. I am not sure if the suggestion presented in the video is entirely correct or if I should take it with a pinch of salt. Here’s the search link from YouTube - increase in oil level bs6 - YouTube. I am mentioning about almost half an hour video.

My Mahindra XUV300 Diesel | Long-term Ownership Review | 3 years and 60,000 km-29a_engineoil.jpg
Currently, the engine oil level is at this mark. I am thinking of officially registering it as a service verbatim, so that it is in records!

TPMS system: The Tyre Pressure Monitoring System works quite well, and I feel the calibration still stays good. I have always maintained the cold tyre pressures between 31 and 34 psi which increases up to 36 psi while driving. The accuracy of the sensors is within the range of +/- 1 psi when compared with the external pressure gauges that I have. I have always used my tyre inflator to maintain and at a couple of occasions when I used the air filling at a fuel station, the pressure reading showed 38 psi and I had to deflate it a bit around the corner. The low-pressure alerts come on in the cluster once the pressure goes below 29 psi. The spare wheel also has a sensor and shows the reading most of the times – which I touch once in 3 – 4 months when the pressure comes down to 29 psi. The TPMS learning system is also easy to use when rotating the tyres after every 10k km – and while doing this you need to keep the spare wheel also ready. Otherwise, there will be an error and it goes back to the last known setting.

My Mahindra XUV300 Diesel | Long-term Ownership Review | 3 years and 60,000 km-30_tpms.jpg
TPMS display on the infotainment system. This has been changed in 2022 to the MID since it is provided in all variants now. The sensors I feel have been pretty accurate so far.

Instrument Cluster: The instrument cluster, like I said earlier while selecting the car – is one of my favorites. You can turn off the welcome and goodbye sounds – every time you enter and exit the car.

My Mahindra XUV300 Diesel | Long-term Ownership Review | 3 years and 60,000 km-31_welcomesound.jpg
One can turn off the welcome and goodbye sounds – every time you enter and exit the car, apart from other options.

My Mahindra XUV300 Diesel | Long-term Ownership Review | 3 years and 60,000 km-32_clusteroff.jpg
During night drives, you can turn off the lights for the dials and reduce the brightness of the MID in case if you find the cluster glare in your eyes.

My Mahindra XUV300 Diesel | Long-term Ownership Review | 3 years and 60,000 km-33_nightview.jpg
There's a physical switch to turn off only the display of the infotainment system. Here, I've turned off the display and the cluster lights. Very helpful during night drives.

Infotainment Unit: The infotainment system plays a wide variety of files like mp3, wav, flac, aac from the USB. Apart from that, the system reads iPod files when connected to the data reading USB slot. I can either play the music from iPod directly using Aux cable, or through the infotainment unit.

My Mahindra XUV300 Diesel | Long-term Ownership Review | 3 years and 60,000 km-36_filetype.jpg
The system reads many commonly used media files by default.

My Mahindra XUV300 Diesel | Long-term Ownership Review | 3 years and 60,000 km-34_ipod.jpg
Any iPods can be read by the infotainment system when connected to the data port. It displays the song playing with the cover art.

My Mahindra XUV300 Diesel | Long-term Ownership Review | 3 years and 60,000 km-35_usb.jpg
The infotainment system reads from an USB drive. The previous and the next song in the queue are shown in the form of ‘cover art’.

Key fob: The key fob is made by Huf in South Korea. It just looks the same as Tivoli's and feels premium. The battery lasted for 3 years before it died in December last. Replaced the battery and stored it. I am currently using the 2nd key as the main key now to drain its battery.

My Mahindra XUV300 Diesel | Long-term Ownership Review | 3 years and 60,000 km-37_keybattery.jpg
The battery replacement is relatively easy by prying out the plastic back. Dirt accumulation can be seen but none of it entered the battery chamber itself - thanks to its design. Saw the new key fob accumulating dust inside like crazy! It uses a Panasonic CR-2032.

Parking sensors: The XUV300 used to come with 4 rear parking sensors till mid-2021. These sensors worked together to show 3 segments in the MID while reversing the car. However, during the late 2021, this was reduced to 2 sensors in the rear bumper. And there was a recall for previous owners for the software update for RPAS. As a result of this update, the MID segments were reduced to 2. During the meet with bhipan Krishnakumar, we confirmed that all 4 sensors are in working order in mine. Though only 2 sensors in later models, they have similar range like that of 4 in the older ones.

My Mahindra XUV300 Diesel | Long-term Ownership Review | 3 years and 60,000 km-38_midrpas.jpg
The reverse sensor related software for MID was updated (or downgraded?) like in this picture. But the functionality isn't affected in my opinion, so I am not calling it a complete downgrade.

Boot space: Many reviewers and potential buyers have highlighted the boot space as a big issue with this car. I have had no issues with the small boot space for a family or friends traveling with our luggage. My travel with 2 kids in their own space, and 3 adults could easily do our vacation / weekend trips with carefully packed luggage. With other CSUVs I probably could include another suitcase, but with this compromise I could any day accept a spacious cabin for the adults sitting in the rear seat. Initially I thought of installing a roof carrier with a cargo box if need arrives, but with 60k km and 3 years, that need never came. Therefore – I am happy with the boot space at present.

Any rattles / noise? During the initial 10k km – the IRVM rattled away in all its glory. Then the feedback was taken seriously and was changed under warranty. The seat belts buckle used to hit the b-pillar trim and was making noise, especially in bad road conditions. I had a piece of foam stuck to the back of the buckle and it was sorted out. The windshield dashcam started rattling, especially in certain rpms and I inserted a foam sponge on its mount to arrest the noise. The rear seat used to make squeaks in bad roads – heard it was a common issue which was solved by insulating the seat lock with a piece of tape. I did not have any dashboard rattles yet – touchwood. I had the irritating caliper noise because of my own fault – but it has been rectified at home. The only noise at present is from the suspension.

Concluding remarks

To summarize, the total downtime for critical issues was just one day where the car was in Service station overnight to diagnose the battery drainage issue at ~48k km. Related to this issue - The car did not strand us anywhere (touchwood), but it refused to start on a couple of occasions in the early mornings for which I had to avail the RSA service – who reached out to my car in less than 1 hour on both occasions in Bangalore. The downtime for non-critical issues like caliper slide pin work and RPAS were less than a week cumulatively. Service visits usually last one full day (11 AM to 5 PM or more) which is a downside for me – but I guess it’s the same or worst with every other brand out there. The service experiences have been overall positive so far for me – I hope it stays the same. I understood that some technicians out there did lack some knowledge of the car – for instance - wrong installations of caliper slide pins in Kerala. I found the CoTeks – who are dealing with the electronics / electricals / software portions of the car, though had basic understanding, lacked certain knowledge – like the changes in the fuse and slight changes in working order; but they were ready to take inputs from my side and not egoistic! There are absolutely no rattles 3 years and 60k km down the road – kudos to that! I hope I have covered as much information as possible which could be useful for other owners. In case if I feel I have left out any information, I will add later in the thread.

Thank you for reading! Following is a photolog from the past 3 years of ownership!

Last edited by Goandiaries : 7th February 2024 at 10:38.
Goandiaries is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 7th February 2024, 03:08   #3
BHPian

re: My Mahindra XUV300 | Long-term Ownership Review | 3-Years and 60,000 km

My Mahindra XUV300 Diesel | Long-term Ownership Review | 3 years and 60,000 km-39_forestview.png
Near Sangama, KA.

My Mahindra XUV300 Diesel | Long-term Ownership Review | 3 years and 60,000 km-40_paint.jpg
The paint quality is decent enough. I've got not much swirls so far.

My Mahindra XUV300 Diesel | Long-term Ownership Review | 3 years and 60,000 km-42_lakeview.jpg
Lakeview. Tenkasi, TN.

My Mahindra XUV300 Diesel | Long-term Ownership Review | 3 years and 60,000 km-43_afteratrip.jpg
After a BLR-GOA trip, GA.

My Mahindra XUV300 Diesel | Long-term Ownership Review | 3 years and 60,000 km-44_goaforesttrip.jpg
Near Yellapur, KA.

My Mahindra XUV300 Diesel | Long-term Ownership Review | 3 years and 60,000 km-45_goatrip.jpg
BLR-Hubli highway, KA.

My Mahindra XUV300 Diesel | Long-term Ownership Review | 3 years and 60,000 km-46_foggydrive.jpg
In Anmod Ghat, GA. The stock fog lights were not that great!

My Mahindra XUV300 Diesel | Long-term Ownership Review | 3 years and 60,000 km-47_foggyghats.jpg
Anmod Ghat, GA. The rear fog lamps can be turned on separately, and a very nice addition! Helps in heavy rains too!

My Mahindra XUV300 Diesel | Long-term Ownership Review | 3 years and 60,000 km-48_kpura.jpg
Kanakapura Road, KA.

My Mahindra XUV300 Diesel | Long-term Ownership Review | 3 years and 60,000 km-49_samudra.jpg
Lake near Shivanasamudra, KA.

My Mahindra XUV300 Diesel | Long-term Ownership Review | 3 years and 60,000 km-50_nagercoil.jpg
Nagercoil Bypass, TN.

My Mahindra XUV300 Diesel | Long-term Ownership Review | 3 years and 60,000 km-51_ooty.jpg
On the way to Ooty, TN. Monkey checking out the slippery glass!

My Mahindra XUV300 Diesel | Long-term Ownership Review | 3 years and 60,000 km-52_anaikatti.jpg
Sorry for the skewed photo. Near Anaikatti, KL.

My Mahindra XUV300 Diesel | Long-term Ownership Review | 3 years and 60,000 km-53_kanchipuram.jpg
Fields near Kanchipuram, TN.

My Mahindra XUV300 Diesel | Long-term Ownership Review | 3 years and 60,000 km-54_trivandrum.jpg
Near the coast in Trivandrum, KL.

My Mahindra XUV300 Diesel | Long-term Ownership Review | 3 years and 60,000 km-55_tveli.jpg
Chittar Lake, near Nagercoil, TN.

My Mahindra XUV300 Diesel | Long-term Ownership Review | 3 years and 60,000 km-56_kodai.jpg
Pine forests in Kodaikanal, TN.

My Mahindra XUV300 Diesel | Long-term Ownership Review | 3 years and 60,000 km-57_kodai.jpg
Grasslands in Kodaikanal, TN.

My Mahindra XUV300 Diesel | Long-term Ownership Review | 3 years and 60,000 km-58_kodai.jpg
Kodaikanal, TN

My Mahindra XUV300 Diesel | Long-term Ownership Review | 3 years and 60,000 km-59_kodaik.jpg
Lakeview in Kodaikanal, TN.

My Mahindra XUV300 Diesel | Long-term Ownership Review | 3 years and 60,000 km-60_madhugiri.jpg
Madhugiri, KA. Looking at the 2nd largest monolithic mountain in Asia.

My Mahindra XUV300 Diesel | Long-term Ownership Review | 3 years and 60,000 km-61_sangama.jpg
Sangama, KA

My Mahindra XUV300 Diesel | Long-term Ownership Review | 3 years and 60,000 km-62_kollur.jpg
Kollur, KA.

My Mahindra XUV300 Diesel | Long-term Ownership Review | 3 years and 60,000 km-63_mangalore.jpg
Mangalore - Gokarna road, KA.

My Mahindra XUV300 Diesel | Long-term Ownership Review | 3 years and 60,000 km-64_murudeshwar.jpg
Murudeshwar, KA.

My Mahindra XUV300 Diesel | Long-term Ownership Review | 3 years and 60,000 km-65_3rd-anniversary.jpg
On 3rd Anniversary, after a good wash, Coimbatore, TN.

My Mahindra XUV300 Diesel | Long-term Ownership Review | 3 years and 60,000 km-67_3rdanniversary.jpg
On 3rd Anniversary, after a good wash, Coimbatore, TN.

My Mahindra XUV300 Diesel | Long-term Ownership Review | 3 years and 60,000 km-66_3rdanniversary.jpg
On 3rd Anniversary, during a meetup with another 60k km run XUV. Coimbatore, TN. Good old 2.5Lakh km run Micra in the background.

My Mahindra XUV300 Diesel | Long-term Ownership Review | 3 years and 60,000 km-68_cbe.jpg
And finally a view of the homegrounds, TN.
Goandiaries is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 12th February 2024, 04:46   #4
Team-BHP Support

re: My Mahindra XUV300 Diesel | Long-term Ownership Review | 3 years and 60,000 km

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th February 2024, 17:41   #5
BHPian

re: My Mahindra XUV300 Diesel | Long-term Ownership Review | 3 years and 60,000 km

Thanks for the detailed writeup. As you are one of those who drive a lot, this information should be useful to others.
It is truly amazing how much difference there is between dealerships.
Duckdoc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2024, 11:29   #6
Team-BHP Support

Re: My Mahindra XUV300 Diesel | Long-term Ownership Review | 3 years and 60,000 km

Exceptional, unbiased & detailed ownership reviews of cars have started going to our homepage reviews box. It's the ultimate stamp of trust from Team-BHP (as a platform) because lakhs of visitors every month check out reviews from there & make purchase decisions.

Your review has also gone here. Thank you so much for sharing .

Name:  XUV300.png
Views: 1034
Size:  378.2 KB
Aditya is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th February 2024, 14:45   #7
BHPian

Re: My Mahindra XUV300 Diesel | Long-term Ownership Review | 3 years and 60,000 km

Having driven almost every CSUV under 20L, I can confidently say that the XUV300 is the best drivers car in this segment. The overall build quality fit and finish is absolutely amazing, even better than the Hyundais. The diesel and petrol engines are both amazing to drive as well. One thing that I found odd in your report is the excessive suspension noise. I do not recall this issue when I recently(Nov23) drove from Rudrapur to Delhi in my friend's XUV300 Petrol MT. May be it is time to get it thoroughly inspected by an expert. My uncle's 500 had developed a similar issue and the solution was to get the suspension retorqued to the factory specs and thorough lubrication.
Regarding the tyres, as you have contemplated the idea of switching to steel wheels, I'd suggest you to go with OEM 16" wheels that come preinstalled on the lower variants. Then go for tyres with higher sidewall. My friend is running UC6 in 205/65/R16 size and the ride quality is a notch above the stock.
You have maintained your steed well, and I wish you many more happy miles to come.
Amrit@wheels is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 13th February 2024, 18:33   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amrit@wheels View Post
Having driven almost every CSUV under 20L, I can confidently say that the XUV300 is the best drivers car in this segment. The overall build quality fit and finish is absolutely amazing, even better than the Hyundais. The diesel and petrol engines are both amazing to drive as well. One thing that I found odd in your report is the excessive suspension noise. I do not recall this issue when I recently(Nov23) drove from Rudrapur to Delhi in my friend's XUV300 Petrol MT. May be it is time to get it thoroughly inspected by an expert. My uncle's 500 had developed a similar issue and the solution was to get the suspension retorqued to the factory specs and thorough lubrication.
Regarding the tyres, as you have contemplated the idea of switching to steel wheels, I'd suggest you to go with OEM 16" wheels that come preinstalled on the lower variants. Then go for tyres with higher sidewall. My friend is running UC6 in 205/65/R16 size and the ride quality is a notch above the stock.
You have maintained your steed well, and I wish you many more happy miles to come.
Thanks for your wishes! Correct observation regarding the fit and finish. I somehow feel it could be due to the Ssangyong's background. Will go for a suspension check-up soon. There's no immediate plan to change into steel wheels, but probably when these alloys start looking unbearable for my eyes.
Old 13th February 2024, 23:08   #9
Senior - BHPian

Amazing to see the interiors hold up that well! I always thought the XUV300, Jeep Compass, etc. would end up looking terrible after a few years in Indian conditions due to the light colour.

Your post proves this is not true.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th February 2024, 11:39   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goandiaries View Post
XUV300: A Long-term Review
Fantastic review... and that too with receipts!
The time you have taken to collect data, prepare visualizations is admirable!
  • Would be interested to know if you have some system by which you track such details?
Quote:
I still have a couple of connectors remaining with me if anyone's interested in Bangalore.
  • I have sent you a Private Message.
ChristComesSoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2024, 12:14   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Your post proves this is not true.
Yes it's quite easy to maintain the interiors even though we can see it getting dirty. We try our best to eat any food inside - that way there are no oily hands to make it worse. Even if it happens, wet wipes come to the rescue then and there! Other than that, cleaning seats with interior cleaner foam once in 6 months is enough to keep them in good shape..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristComesSoon View Post
Fantastic review... and that too with receipts!
The time you have taken to collect data, prepare visualizations is admirable! [list][*]Would be interested to know if you have some system by which you track such details?
I used fuelio initially for a few months, alternatively I kept the same records in MS Excel. The records in Excel looked better as I could include as much information as I want in there. I usually take photos while refilling at pumps, along with the photo of the odometer / MID info. That way, I could enter necessary details at my own pace. Kept records of every service / purchase with respect to this car different sheets, which I could use to visualize later..
Goandiaries is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2024, 12:28   #12
BHPian

Quote:
The records in Excel looked better as I could include as much information as I want in there. I usually take photos while refilling at pumps, along with the photo of the odometer / MID info. That way, I could enter necessary details at my own pace. Kept records of every service / purchase with respect to this car different sheets, which I could use to visualize later..
Wow... would you mind sharing this excel (perhaps as screenshots)? Or, some other way which is more beneficial to view the format / method / details....
Old 16th February 2024, 12:22   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristComesSoon View Post
Wow... would you mind sharing this excel (perhaps as screenshots)? Or, some other way which is more beneficial to view the format / method / details....
Nothing fancy actually. This is the basic info that I record. I don't do it every single time. I do it once in a month or two. I take photos on my phone and the photo contains location details. Rest of the details can be derived out of this. Recently, I'm trying to use 'Geotracker' (an android app), which records many stats directly on phone, but it drains the battery as quick as it is charging in the car!

My Mahindra XUV300 Diesel | Long-term Ownership Review | 3 years and 60,000 km-screenshot-20240216-121252.png

My Mahindra XUV300 Diesel | Long-term Ownership Review | 3 years and 60,000 km-screenshot-20240216-121447.png
Old 17th February 2024, 15:17   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Nothing fancy actually. This is the basic info that I record...
This is very meticulous. Thanks for sharing this.
I use Google Keep App with information such as date, Odo, changes made.
Old 3rd April 2024, 11:54   #15
BHPian

Thanks for the review. We have a W8 Diesel and we love it. The infographics you made look great. Was it all made manually for the post? Curious to know about it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks