Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2013, 14:12   #151
Senior - BHPian

re: My Red Cherry - Maruti Swift VDI: 145,000+ kms up. EDIT: Now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
I have not consolidated all the items I have replaced so far.Good point. I would do the same when I find the time.
Sure shall be awaiting for your list of stuff. Since my car's ownership experience runs alongside yours, hope you would not mind if I use your thread to input my list of items that have been changed so far in its 125000 kms of ownership.

Regular Consumables --> Filters every 20000 kms (Oil, Air & Fuel), Wipers (once in 2 years), Set of 4 Tires (Switched over to Michelin XM1+ when the odometer read 69600 Odd Kms), Front Panel housing the music system because one of the clips fastening it had come loose and was a picture of eye soreness, Front & Rear bumpers courtesy Bangalore Traffic.

The car was broken in once for the audio system by a set of burglars and had to replace the 2 rear windows.

Apart from the above mentioned replacements, My car is running extremely well and still delivers an awesome performance on the highways. Still manages to do 175 Kays before she runs out of breath, mileage returned on the highway is an impressive 19Kmpl if the needle is south of 120 kays. City mileage seems to have dropped to 15 kmpl.

Should say am very happy/pleased with her performance.
Old 15th April 2013, 12:01   #152
BHPian

Hi dear friends,

I am a passive reader. However a sudden turn of events has forced me to share my experience with fellow bhpians and I request diesel-fan not to take offence as I am using you thread for the long term experience.

Sorry guys for this long post.

Experience at about 78000 kms.

I bought my Pocket Rocket in Oct/November 2007(Swift VDI-ABS), which had been doing its duty very diligently and efficiently and has been consistently giving mileage of about 21 kmpl. It had taken us to far off places without a fuss such as Sarahan, Sangla Valley, Kalpa, Kaza, Kibber, Kunzum Pass, Rohtang Pass, Hemkund Sahib, Badrinath and numerous visits to Himachal Pradesh without missing a beat. The vehicle was routinely serviced and apart from brake pads only the shocker mounts were replaced. Of course the tyres were changed at 48000 kms. The vehicle has done about 78000 kms. However, things took a wrong turn and spoilt the party in March 2013. How the things took shape I will try to give a precise account of what happened.

On 18th March, 2013 I along with my wife left Delhi at about 4.30 AM for Shimla in our Pocket Rocket for a couple of days. On our way we did not encounter any problem and enjoyed the ride and the scenery. We reached Shimla at about 11.30 AM having stopped at a couple of places to have breakfast etc and were going towards Kufri. As soon as we crossed Dhulli tunnel suddenly I witnessed/felt loss of power, huge black smoke and knocking sound from the engine. I immediately pulled over to the right side (was driving in second gear about 20 kmph) and luckily there were few mechanic shops who immediately offered help. As soon as we opened the bonnet I saw there was a leakage of diesel from the high pressure fuel pump and the mechanics who had gathered around assured that it is not a big deal as it seems some pipe has ruptured and will be repaired. The mechanics/shopkeepers directed us to a diesel mechanic near the Dhulli tunnel. As soon as I started the engine again there was black smoke and knocking sound and somehow drove about 100 mtrs to that shop. He examined and declared that the vehicle should be taken to the Maruti workshop as its parts will not be available in the open market. He tried to start the car but to no avail. We requested him to arrange for a tow vehicle. All this while we were sweating like anything and were very worried. The mechanic was kind enough to arrange a flat bed crane which took us to the Maruti Authorised Workshop (Goel) just before the Shimla. They examined and declared that the engine is required to be opened (estimate about Rs. 1.25 lakhs) and that it will take about 15 days or more as the available of the parts is a concern here. They suggested us to take the vehicle back to Delhi. Luckily for us a trailer had just off loaded a truck load of new cars of Maruti and its driver agreed to take our vehicle to Delhi. Somehow the vehicle was loaded on a trailer and was promised to be delivered to us at Farrukh Nagar, on Gurgaon-Pataudi Road the next day i.e. 19th March, 2013. We travelled in an overnight roadways bus and reached home in Delhi at about 6.30 AM.

On 19th March, 2013 I arranged a flatbed crane and brought our Pocket Rocket with its/our pride hurt to our home. Our mechanic (he works in an authorised workshop and is quite experienced) inspected and diagnosed that its high pressure fuel pump is the culprit. On opening the fuel pump he found that of the three screws, two screws were loose. He tightened them and put back the pump. On cranking the engine started with knocking sound and was switched off by him. Though there was no leakage but now the engine will not move/crank. He drained the entire engine oil and saw a deluge of black engine oil mixed with diesel (more than 6 ltrs). The new engine oil was poured but the engine did not rotate even with hand. The mechanic advised us to take the vehicle to an authorised workshop as according to him its engine was required to be opened up to see the damage. He did not want to open the engine for want of sufficient spares in the open market.

Eventually the vehicle was sent to an Authorised Workshop. Soon I got a call that there is zero pressure in one cylinder and the engine is required to be opened. (I suspected of a foul play as the Supervisor said the engine did not start whereas the mechanic informed that he started the engine and thus checked the pressure). However, in the presence of concerned Supervisor I cranked the engine and it started though with the knocking sound. On hearing the knocking sound I immediately stopped the engine. In this scenario I insisted on taking the vehicle back but I was convinced that I should allow them to work and I relented.

On opening the engine it was informed that one of the pistons is damaged and its connecting rod is bent. The repair work started and I was informed that they will change all the pistons, its rings, connecting rods, valves, cam/crank bearings, gaskets etc as per the standard instructions of Maruti. On re-assembling and starting it was informed that two of the injectors were also chocked/damaged though the High Pressure Fuel Pump is fine. These were also got repaired from Bosch by them. The vehicle remained there for about 20 days and has been delivered to us yesterday. The total damage to us at the workshop was Rs.50,000/- and another Rs.15000/- from Shimla to Delhi.

The question that is/was bothering me is that why did it happen in the first place when there was no indication or problem. I am informed that during the routine service these (pressure pump/injectors etc. for diesel) are not checked/cleaned/opened unless there is a specific complaint. I never had any issue/complaint with the vehicle throughout till we were stranded.

I thought of sharing my bitter experience so that fellow friends can also take note of what I went through and think of ways and means how to prevent.

I have been thinking of disposing of my Pocket Rocket but the DGM of the workshop insisted that I should not sell off as it is as good as new and if at all I have to dispose off I should at least tell him first so that he can buy it for his son/family. I am really confused.
manver786 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th April 2013, 13:59   #153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manver786 View Post
Hi dear friends,

I am a passive reader. However a sudden turn of events has forced me to share my experience with fellow bhpians and I request diesel-fan not to take offence as I am using you thread for the long term experience.
Dicey Situation to be honest and believe your engine has now been reconstructed/reconditioned. What are the parts that were changed? Also did the crankshaft suffer any issues which required a recondition? You have not mentioned about the Engine Barrel, was it reconditioned as well?
With all the above mentioned repairs being done, how is the car to drive like? Do you see any drop in its performance? Pick up, Roll on Speeds through the gears, Mileage? Based on your above findings you can then take a call if you would want to retain it or sell it!!!
Old 16th July 2013, 11:09   #154
Senior - BHPian

Had 110K km service a couple of weeks back. regular change of Engine oil with oil filter, changed front suspension bushes as those were damaged, and checked both front and rear brakes and got the front caliper greased. All this set me back by 3000 Rs with me supplying the engine oil. The service cost itself has increased to 1400+tax.brake work and suspension work extra. Next will be as 120K major service and I expect a bill of around 8K then. So far the car is doing good with a slight drop in FE. I am now getting about 16-17 KMPL in mostly city driving.
Old 22nd July 2013, 11:17   #155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am now getting about 16-17 KMPL in mostly city driving.
That is pretty good mileage you are getting to a liter in city conditions Ravi, my car is consistent in giving me 14-15 in city with AC on all the time. Do you put on AC all the time?
Also what is the mileage you get on the highways? Mine does return a healthy 19-20 with a steady 120 Kays with a relaxed right foot.

Do post in some new photos the car post the 100K
Old 22nd July 2013, 12:14   #156
Senior - BHPian

I do use AC 50% of the time when I need it. I prefer fresh air when available.
Old 28th August 2013, 12:30   #157
BHPian

I have a quick question here.
Mine is a 2008 Swift VDi and she just closed 93k in her odo.
Two issues I face - one is the engine going to close to a cough when idle, the RPM needle also goes down with that of the engine and then the engive revves back to the set RPM. Goes on for some 3 or 4 times.
The fuel guage always show "Full" and when I switch off the needle comes to the mid portion rather than going all the way down.
Please help me out here..
Old 28th August 2013, 14:38   #158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopu.g View Post
I have a quick question here.
Mine is a 2008 Swift VDi and she just closed 93k in her odo.
Two issues I face - one is the engine going to close to a cough when idle, the RPM needle also goes down with that of the engine and then the engive revves back to the set RPM. Goes on for some 3 or 4 times.
The fuel guage always show "Full" and when I switch off the needle comes to the mid portion rather than going all the way down.
Please help me out here..
For your first problem get the control unit of the car checked and reset. If that doesn't work check is EGR is blocked (get it cleaned if blocked).

For your second problem get the fuel gauge calibrated.
DieselFan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2013, 15:02   #159
BHPian

Quote:
For your first problem get the control unit of the car checked and reset. If that doesn't work check is EGR is blocked (get it cleaned if blocked).

For your second problem get the fuel gauge calibrated.
Thanks Mate..
I am going down to the service centre this weekend for sorting this issue out.
Between I earlier had this issue of starting trouble and the starter was replaced. Now there are no issues in the starting part but the "coughing up" stuff started happening.
Just FYI..
Old 28th August 2013, 15:22   #160
Team-BHP Support

I doubt the second issue is due to calibration. I think its the console that is gone. A similar thing happened to my Swift's tachometer, when it started showing random readings irrespective of the actual RPM.
Old 24th April 2014, 10:56   #161
Senior - BHPian

Day before yesterday I got SVS warning light continuously ON during the running of the car. This morning I took the car to Kalyani Motors to get the same checked. The service folks found that all the four of my glow plugs were burnt (Maybe they have served their life). Got the same replaced. Yet to get the bill as the DMS was down. The SA told me it would be about 3000 Rs. (700 a piece and replacement charges). Paid 3000 and came down to office. Total time taken 60 min to check the issue and fix it. I got a complementary checkup of the car. Topped up engine oil as it was slightly on the lower side.
Old 28th April 2014, 18:03   #162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Topped up engine oil as it was slightly on the lower side.
Wow that is one long faithful car doing complete justice to you. Also reflects how well the car is serving without any tantrums. Sold my swift last year when she had done 140K odd mileage on her odo. How much has your car run and how long you intend to use it?
Old 29th April 2014, 10:22   #163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Wow that is one long faithful car doing complete justice to you. Also reflects how well the car is serving without any tantrums. Sold my swift last year when she had done 140K odd mileage on her odo. How much has your car run and how long you intend to use it?
My Car has done 118K kms. Still running like a gem. Not thinking of selling it in the near future. Only issue is that it has some nicks and dents due to two wheelers which looks a bit ugly. Never had a single breakdown always has been faithful and gave necessary warnings which I got the same attended to as soon as possible - whether it is brakes, clutch or suspension and recently glow plugs.

By the way how much did you sell your car for?
Old 29th April 2014, 11:15   #164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

By the way how much did you sell your car for?
True, The Swift is truly very reliable. In all my years of driving it, the following were replaced

1) Set Of Tires --> One
2) Battery --> Once
3) Gear Cable --> Once
4) One Glow Plug --> One Plug was faulty but I replaced a second one which was perceived to be in its last stage

I have not included consumables like Engine Oil, Brake Fluid, Coolants, Wipers, & Brake pads.

Have PMed you the price which I sold my car.

Last edited by ku69rd : 29th April 2014 at 11:33.
Old 12th July 2014, 18:57   #165
Senior - BHPian

Got my car serviced for 120K service today. following items were done -

1. replace engine oil/oil filter
2. replace transmission oil
3. replace fuel filter.
4. replace air filter.
5. replace front brake pads
6. replace one fog lamp (Which was defective)
7. Clean blower
8. clean rear drum brakes
9. brake calliper greasing
10. Replace diff. side oil seal
11. replace radiator inlet hose
12. dickey door gas struts replace
13. pollution check
14.rear seat cushion hook replace
15. coolant top up (It was replaced 10K kms back)
16.Brake/ clutch fluid replace and brake/ clutch bleeding.
17. rain wiper replacement

All this came to 11,668 Rs. with engine oil provided by me.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks