Team-BHP - Tata Safari 2.2L at 1.5 lakh kms. Reclaiming continues without extended warranty UPDATE: Now Sold !
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Long-Term Ownership Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-term-ownership-reviews/)
-   -   Tata Safari 2.2L at 1.5 lakh kms. Reclaiming continues without extended warranty UPDATE: Now Sold ! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-term-ownership-reviews/36980-tata-safari-2-2l-1-5-lakh-kms-reclaiming-continues-without-extended-warranty-update-now-sold-48.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by LongDrive lover (Post 3490376)
JK dada, how is performance of wanderers in terms of ride quality, noise on highways and handling at good speeds? How will compare it with OEM BS Duellers 689? and Mitchelin L Cross?

Also pl. respond to my query on 'All about Safari tyres' thread. Link below:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...-tyres-50.html

Done! Like mentioned, these are VFM tyres. Yokos and Mich would be better with respect to noise/comfort. I am getting two more Wanderers since I think there are doing the job well and looks tough.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkdas (Post 3490460)
Done! Like mentioned, these are VFM tyres. Yokos and Mich would be better with respect to noise/comfort. I am getting two more Wanderers since I think there are doing the job well and looks tough.

(me)

Thanks dada.

Pl. suggest what to do with the spare one?

1. Put it to use as one of the 4 new ones, or (2) Keep it as spare (remember it is almost not used, but 5 yrs old!! so keeping it as spare will not be advisable as it'll prolong its use!!), or (3). sale/exchange this spare BS tyre when going for new ones?

Sorry, posted this reply by mistake here in your thread, actually wanted to post in Safari tyre thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by LongDrive lover (Post 3490562)
(me)

Thanks dada.

Pl. suggest what to do with the spare one?

1. Put it to use as one of the 4 new ones, or (2) Keep it as spare (remember it is almost not used, but 5 yrs old!! so keeping it as spare will not be advisable as it'll prolong its use!!), or (3). sale/exchange this spare BS tyre when going for new ones?

Sorry, posted this reply by mistake here in your thread, actually wanted to post in Safari tyre thread

Grips good but I thinks its noisy. Anyway, all four are now Wanderers. Will keep all updated once I had done few hundreds and a proper run in.

Cost 6300 per tyre.

Steering cover started tearing off at 2 'O Clock. Not bad when I look at odo read.

Also changed headlights to new. Cost? 5200 for assembly + 500 labour.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkdas (Post 3514350)
Grips good but I thinks its noisy. Anyway, all four are now Wanderers. Will keep all updated once I had done few hundreds and a proper run in.

Cost 6300 per tyre.

Steering cover started tearing off at 2 'O Clock. Not bad when I look at odo read.

Also changed headlights to new. Cost? 5200 for assembly + 500 labour.

Added new fogs too. 2400Rs.
I also had to change a brake light after 7 years :D Beat that !

Did few hundreds last week after I got Wanderers all around. Tyres are better now and the 'noise' part has vanished.

I am at 137,000 on Odo. Got engine mounts changed sometime last week. The difference is unbelievable . I should have got it changed long back. Safari is so silent and smoother now.

JK .. Even I was thinking of the same for my beast too.. Can u share the symptoms before the mounts change.

JK

Can you suggest any good mechanic for doing some work on my Safari 2.2 L 4*4 outside TASS. Either in Trivandrum or Kochi. When I gave my car last time to TASS then virtually " ripped me off":eek: Those guys at Focuz motors don't have any idea about repairing even simple things like a door handle. They just want to replace any malfunctioning part. Please help. BTW what's the odo now on your beast JK.?

Regards.

Mod Note: Please avoid typing like.... this.....

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrANTO (Post 3864873)
JK

Can you suggest any good mechanic for doing some work on my Safari 2.2 L 4*4 outside TASS. Either in Trivandrum or Kochi. When I gave my car last time to TASS then virtually " ripped me off":eek: Those guys at Focuz motors don't have any idea about repairing even simple things like a door handle. They just want to replace any malfunctioning part. Please help. BTW what's the odo now on your beast JK.?

Regards.

Mod Note: Please avoid typing like.... this.....

I have a guy at Tvm who has been working on my Safari ( and friends) for few years now. He too owned one and now owns a Storme.

Odo @ 147,000 kms!

jkdas , can you take a picture of the turbo and post it. Especially the P/N plate and VNT actuator.
Thanks

Nothing to report :D.

Some rattle near glove box area which I cant find. Engine is a gem. Done 1,50,000kms!
Planning to sell it in 2 months time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkdas (Post 4227605)
Nothing to report :D.

Some rattle near glove box area which I cant find. Engine is a gem. Done 1,50,000kms!
Planning to sell it in 2 months time.

And what's the upgrade plan? :D

Storme / Hexa? Or other bigger plans in mind?

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR (Post 4227617)
And what's the upgrade plan? :D

Storme / Hexa? Or other bigger plans in mind?

Hatch probably if I dnt change my mind of selling it. Dont drive long or much these day and dont expect to for another year.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkdas (Post 4229548)
Hatch probably if I dnt change my mind of selling it. Dont drive long or much these day and dont expect to for another year.

Then why change, if usage itself is less?

I know a Safari owner from Trivandrum (he's a BHP'ian Too) who downgraded from a Safari to Ford Ikon TDCi, only to be bitten hard by the Safari bug again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR (Post 4229551)

I know a Safari owner from Trivandrum (he's a BHP'ian Too) who downgraded from a Safari to Ford Ikon TDCi, only to be bitten hard by the Safari bug again.

I too will do the same and as of today, I only see the Hexa which can be the apt one but that will have to wait.

Almost 10 years and hence, i20 can be easier in city and can be used by Wife too.

As usual changed engine oil and filter along with diesel filter. Adding few pictures I took last day.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR (Post 4229551)

I sold my Safari VX 4WD four months ago with 163000km on the Odometer and bought an elite i20 diesel Asta (o). Primary reason for the sale was my long standing neck problem ( cervical spondylosis) which got aggravated due to the my daily commute of 60-70 km in Safari.

Am I happy? YES and NO

YES-- I don't have any neck pain now (thanks to super light steering wheel). i20 is refined,efficient,safe with 6 airbags and overall 2 notches up above safari in terms of quality.

NO-- Because somehow it doesn't connect with me the way safari did. Everybody who knows me still refers to me as " that guy with red safari". It evokes a great sense of pride knowing that you belongs to a minority of Tata Safari owners.

Will you buy Safari once more? NO. I had a great time with my SUV and that is it. Life moves on and our priorities changes over time. Driving a mammoth sized, fuel guzzling SUV notorious for reliability issues doesn't excite me anymore.It is an overkill for an average petrol head like me.

adding a few pictures taken at the last day of ownership just 5 minutes before handing over to the new owner.