Team-BHP - Tata Safari 2.2L at 1.5 lakh kms. Reclaiming continues without extended warranty UPDATE: Now Sold !
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Long-Term Ownership Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-term-ownership-reviews/)
-   -   Tata Safari 2.2L at 1.5 lakh kms. Reclaiming continues without extended warranty UPDATE: Now Sold ! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-term-ownership-reviews/36980-tata-safari-2-2l-1-5-lakh-kms-reclaiming-continues-without-extended-warranty-update-now-sold-41.html)

@jkdas: i feel the clutch plates has some life left in it.However a closer pic can help make us sure about it.Did you feel lack of acceleration in other words when you accelerate did the engine rpm increase but the car would not pick up speed.This would be the sure shot symptom of clutch failure.

Have they dismantled your gear box and reassembled it.If yes then its fine they would charge both 12 and 15.But if they have just removed / disconnected the gear box assembly from the engine to fit in the new clutch plates then either of 12 and 15 should be charged and not both.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbhaduri (Post 1817500)
@jkdas: i feel the clutch plates has some life left in it.However a closer pic can help make us sure about it.

And how did you conclude that?
I could not locate any photos of the clutch plates amongst the photos that JK has put up

@kingshukt: Plz check post no. 595.Photos 1& 3 shows a part of the clutch plate.however a closer look would reveal the actual status of the clutch plate.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingshukt (Post 1817970)
And how did you conclude that?
I could not locate any photos of the clutch plates amongst the photos that JK has put up

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbhaduri (Post 1819881)
@kingshukt: Plz check post no. 595.Photos 1& 3 shows a part of the clutch plate.however a closer look would reveal the actual status of the clutch plate.

I do not think that that is a photo of a clutch PLate. mayne JK can confirmplease:.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbhaduri (Post 1817500)
@jkdas: i feel the clutch plates has some life left in it.However a closer pic can help make us sure about it.Did you feel lack of acceleration in other words when you accelerate did the engine rpm increase but the car would not pick up speed.This would be the sure shot symptom of clutch failure.

Have they dismantled your gear box and reassembled it.If yes then its fine they would charge both 12 and 15.But if they have just removed / disconnected the gear box assembly from the engine to fit in the new clutch plates then either of 12 and 15 should be charged and not both.

I am not sure how they did it :(
Dont think I felt any issue with speed but all SA (of different TASS) I had met confirmed issues with clutch.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingshukt (Post 1820297)
I do not think that that is a photo of a clutch PLate. mayne JK can confirmplease:.

Isn't that in there :D

Life with EW?

I was driving down to Alapuzha and enroute I was stunned coz my clutch pedal wouldn't revert back to it original position. It would spring back if I pulled it up with my hand or toes.

Team-BHP said : bleed the clutch! And I got it done and it is fine now.

Where I got it done?

Highway Garage; Opps Police Station, Kazhakuttam.

The owner of the garage , Mr.Senthil who also owns a PW 2.2EX , almost new one, was very polite and knowledgeable. I had visited the garage last week to check on a squeal noise I get from front right tyre. His work force fixed the issue within 30min. Cost? Rs.50.

I had given the Safari to him today morning to fix the clutch and steering ( steering was off centre; eh; 10 degree off the centre when I do straight line) .

His diagnosis ( for the clutch ) was that the master cylinder is almost faulty and I need to get just the bushes replaced sometime . It should cost me below 1500Rs for the part.

Total cost to fix the clutch and set the steering right was 300 Rs :thumbs up

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkdas (Post 1869101)
Highway Garage; Opps Police Station, Kazhakuttam.

The owner of the garage , Mr.Senthil who also owns a PW 2.2EX , almost new one, was very polite and knowledgeable. I had visited the garage last week to check on a squeal noise I get from front right tyre. His work force fixed the issue within 30min. Cost? Rs.50.

I had given the Safari to him today morning to fix the clutch and steering ( steering was off centre; eh; 10 degree off the centre when I do straight line) .

His diagnosis ( for the clutch ) was that the master cylinder is almost faulty and I need to get just the bushes replaced sometime . It should cost me below 1500Rs for the part.

Total cost to fix the clutch and set the steering right was 300 Rs :thumbs up

:Shockked: You lucky chap! Just look at those pricings!

Me have one similar issue, have to get the steering fixed. Slightly tilted to the right on a straight line.

+ I still get 10.5kmpl or more for every tank fill.
+ ride comfort rocks
+ Engaging 1st and 2nd is a bit tough.
+ Steering play a bit more.

- rattles here and there, not bad but its there. One in from the boot door, one from front left door (kind of squeak) and then seat belt from rear.

I think I need to check various bushes ( suspension and engine one). I also saw water seeping in through wiring near accelerator ( not much but its a scary thing!).
Tata Safari 2.2L at 1.5 lakh kms. Reclaiming continues without extended warranty UPDATE: Now Sold !-11062010509-medium.jpg

Tata Safari 2.2L at 1.5 lakh kms. Reclaiming continues without extended warranty UPDATE: Now Sold !-11062010511-medium.jpg

I took it to my new service guy and he said only if debris is stuck on the drain pipe near front windshield this will happen. I will leave the Safari with him tomorrow to fix it .

I wanted to remind myself how good the ride comfort of Safari is over the now great pot holed NH and hence took a Swift LDi for my last try to Chertalla.

Swift vs Safari

Missed the 66666 thing :(

Now at 67,XXXkms.

Did a complete suspension job. Almost 20k well spend.

@jkdas:

Although, I have not gone through the whole thread, but looking at the current page 'posts' I can definetly tell that you have had one of the Happiest journey, so far. With your vehicle. Congrats for that. And, yes 10kmpl seems tobe knocked out for a DICOR, any explanation for that? My TCIC gives me 10kmpl in city after clocking 2L ton.:uncontrol

Anyways, my final words for Safari 'One Heck Of a Ride':D

@JKD > I think you should get better mileage from your Safari being a 2wd. Ive begun getting a mileage of 11.5kpl in the city with ac on at all times and the highway mileage has gone up to 12-12.5 with my 4x4.

Ive read of some absurd figures like 14kpl for a 2.2 Safari on this forum and wonder if its really true.

mercedised: Thanks. Only if I had EW, would have given me better peace of mine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves (Post 1977808)
@JKD > I think you should get better mileage from your Safari being a 2wd. Ive begun getting a mileage of 11.5kpl in the city with ac on at all times and the highway mileage has gone up to 12-12.5 with my 4x4.

Ive read of some absurd figures like 14kpl for a 2.2 Safari on this forum and wonder if its really true.

Jay; yes, one will get more mileage if driven sedately. I try to maintain decent speed but cant and hence pretty happy with the mileage I get ( I redline in Ist 3 gears, most of the time). I have got 14kmpl when I was doing 80kmph steadily.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves (Post 1977808)

Sorry to hack jkdas's thread. I would believe in the 14kmpl figure, as i get a consistent 13.5-13.8kmpl on highway drives, about 40% of which is on bad roads, and with speeds occasionally being greater than 80kmph. Anybody who maintains these speeds on well paved highways should get to see better FE's.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkdas (Post 1977813)
I redline in Ist 3 gears, most of the time

:eek: Holla!! First person, I have encountered so far, who redlines his Safari. Ahh!! Then it's a decent figure, you know, I am talking about '10kmpl'.:D

Quote:

Originally Posted by mercedised (Post 1979030)
:eek: Holla!! First person, I have encountered so far, who redlines his Safari. Ahh!! Then it's a decent figure, you know, I am talking about '10kmpl'.:D

Eh? Why did I buy it for then :D

And hence such a big bill for suspension work.

Got Philips Rally 100W H1 for fogs; let there be more light.

@JK, my attempts at 100w in the fog's ended when the heat inside the lamp melted the wires. There is not enough space in there to keep heat under control. I have long since switched back to 55w. If you want better lighting, pls try to upgrade the head lamps - may be the projector way, a-la @The Godfather's Safari.