Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2010, 20:21   #601
BHPian

@jkdas: i feel the clutch plates has some life left in it.However a closer pic can help make us sure about it.Did you feel lack of acceleration in other words when you accelerate did the engine rpm increase but the car would not pick up speed.This would be the sure shot symptom of clutch failure.

Have they dismantled your gear box and reassembled it.If yes then its fine they would charge both 12 and 15.But if they have just removed / disconnected the gear box assembly from the engine to fit in the new clutch plates then either of 12 and 15 should be charged and not both.

Last edited by sbhaduri : 2nd April 2010 at 20:28.
Old 3rd April 2010, 08:34   #602
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbhaduri View Post
@jkdas: i feel the clutch plates has some life left in it.However a closer pic can help make us sure about it.

And how did you conclude that?
I could not locate any photos of the clutch plates amongst the photos that JK has put up
Old 4th April 2010, 20:42   #603
BHPian

@kingshukt: Plz check post no. 595.Photos 1& 3 shows a part of the clutch plate.however a closer look would reveal the actual status of the clutch plate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingshukt View Post
And how did you conclude that?
I could not locate any photos of the clutch plates amongst the photos that JK has put up
Old 5th April 2010, 08:34   #604
BHPian

Quote:
@kingshukt: Plz check post no. 595.Photos 1& 3 shows a part of the clutch plate.however a closer look would reveal the actual status of the clutch plate.
I do not think that that is a photo of a clutch PLate. mayne JK can confirm.
Old 4th May 2010, 16:36   #605
Senior - BHPian

Highway Garage; Opps Police Station, Kazhakuttam. ; Upate at 64000kms

Quote:
@jkdas: i feel the clutch plates has some life left in it.However a closer pic can help make us sure about it.Did you feel lack of acceleration in other words when you accelerate did the engine rpm increase but the car would not pick up speed.This would be the sure shot symptom of clutch failure.

Have they dismantled your gear box and reassembled it.If yes then its fine they would charge both 12 and 15.But if they have just removed / disconnected the gear box assembly from the engine to fit in the new clutch plates then either of 12 and 15 should be charged and not both.
I am not sure how they did it :(
Dont think I felt any issue with speed but all SA (of different TASS) I had met confirmed issues with clutch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingshukt View Post
I do not think that that is a photo of a clutch PLate. mayne JK can confirm.
Isn't that in there

Life with EW?

I was driving down to Alapuzha and enroute I was stunned coz my clutch pedal wouldn't revert back to it original position. It would spring back if I pulled it up with my hand or toes.

Team-BHP said : bleed the clutch! And I got it done and it is fine now.

Where I got it done?

Highway Garage; Opps Police Station, Kazhakuttam.

The owner of the garage , Mr.Senthil who also owns a PW 2.2EX , almost new one, was very polite and knowledgeable. I had visited the garage last week to check on a squeal noise I get from front right tyre. His work force fixed the issue within 30min. Cost? Rs.50.

I had given the Safari to him today morning to fix the clutch and steering ( steering was off centre; eh; 10 degree off the centre when I do straight line) .

His diagnosis ( for the clutch ) was that the master cylinder is almost faulty and I need to get just the bushes replaced sometime . It should cost me below 1500Rs for the part.

Total cost to fix the clutch and set the steering right was 300 Rs
Old 4th May 2010, 18:24   #606
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Highway Garage; Opps Police Station, Kazhakuttam.

The owner of the garage , Mr.Senthil who also owns a PW 2.2EX , almost new one, was very polite and knowledgeable. I had visited the garage last week to check on a squeal noise I get from front right tyre. His work force fixed the issue within 30min. Cost? Rs.50.

I had given the Safari to him today morning to fix the clutch and steering ( steering was off centre; eh; 10 degree off the centre when I do straight line) .

His diagnosis ( for the clutch ) was that the master cylinder is almost faulty and I need to get just the bushes replaced sometime . It should cost me below 1500Rs for the part.

Total cost to fix the clutch and set the steering right was 300 Rs
You lucky chap! Just look at those pricings!

Me have one similar issue, have to get the steering fixed. Slightly tilted to the right on a straight line.
Old 14th June 2010, 22:44   #607
Senior - BHPian

Odo @ 66200 kms

+ I still get 10.5kmpl or more for every tank fill.
+ ride comfort rocks
+ Engaging 1st and 2nd is a bit tough.
+ Steering play a bit more.

- rattles here and there, not bad but its there. One in from the boot door, one from front left door (kind of squeak) and then seat belt from rear.

I think I need to check various bushes ( suspension and engine one). I also saw water seeping in through wiring near accelerator ( not much but its a scary thing!).
Tata Safari 2.2L at 1.5 lakh kms. Reclaiming continues without extended warranty UPDATE: Now Sold !-11062010509-medium.jpg

Tata Safari 2.2L at 1.5 lakh kms. Reclaiming continues without extended warranty UPDATE: Now Sold !-11062010511-medium.jpg

I took it to my new service guy and he said only if debris is stuck on the drain pipe near front windshield this will happen. I will leave the Safari with him tomorrow to fix it .

I wanted to remind myself how good the ride comfort of Safari is over the now great pot holed NH and hence took a Swift LDi for my last try to Chertalla.

Swift vs Safari
  • Awesome power delivery and smooth
  • Does 3 digit speed very swiftly
  • Scary braking at high speed. Safari's braking is far better here! I was surprised.
  • I wasn't happy about high speed stablity.
  • Man ! hands and back was in pain for next two days .
  • Great FE
Old 11th July 2010, 21:07   #608
Senior - BHPian

Missed the 66666 thing :(

Now at 67,XXXkms.

Did a complete suspension job. Almost 20k well spend.
Old 11th July 2010, 21:28   #609
Senior - BHPian

@jkdas:

Although, I have not gone through the whole thread, but looking at the current page 'posts' I can definetly tell that you have had one of the Happiest journey, so far. With your vehicle. Congrats for that. And, yes 10kmpl seems tobe knocked out for a DICOR, any explanation for that? My TCIC gives me 10kmpl in city after clocking 2L ton.

Anyways, my final words for Safari 'One Heck Of a Ride'

Last edited by Eddy : 12th July 2010 at 12:03. Reason: extra smilies
Old 12th July 2010, 08:30   #610
Senior - BHPian

@JKD > I think you should get better mileage from your Safari being a 2wd. Ive begun getting a mileage of 11.5kpl in the city with ac on at all times and the highway mileage has gone up to 12-12.5 with my 4x4.

Ive read of some absurd figures like 14kpl for a 2.2 Safari on this forum and wonder if its really true.
Old 12th July 2010, 08:35   #611
Senior - BHPian

mercedised: Thanks. Only if I had EW, would have given me better peace of mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
@JKD > I think you should get better mileage from your Safari being a 2wd. Ive begun getting a mileage of 11.5kpl in the city with ac on at all times and the highway mileage has gone up to 12-12.5 with my 4x4.

Ive read of some absurd figures like 14kpl for a 2.2 Safari on this forum and wonder if its really true.
Jay; yes, one will get more mileage if driven sedately. I try to maintain decent speed but cant and hence pretty happy with the mileage I get ( I redline in Ist 3 gears, most of the time). I have got 14kmpl when I was doing 80kmph steadily.

Last edited by jkdas : 12th July 2010 at 08:36.
Old 12th July 2010, 09:41   #612
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
Sorry to hack jkdas's thread. I would believe in the 14kmpl figure, as i get a consistent 13.5-13.8kmpl on highway drives, about 40% of which is on bad roads, and with speeds occasionally being greater than 80kmph. Anybody who maintains these speeds on well paved highways should get to see better FE's.
Old 12th July 2010, 21:18   #613
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
I redline in Ist 3 gears, most of the time

Holla!! First person, I have encountered so far, who redlines his Safari. Ahh!! Then it's a decent figure, you know, I am talking about '10kmpl'.
Old 12th July 2010, 23:29   #614
Senior - BHPian

Philips Rally H1 100W

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
Holla!! First person, I have encountered so far, who redlines his Safari. Ahh!! Then it's a decent figure, you know, I am talking about '10kmpl'.
Eh? Why did I buy it for then

And hence such a big bill for suspension work.

Got Philips Rally 100W H1 for fogs; let there be more light.
Old 13th July 2010, 07:52   #615
Distinguished - BHPian

@JK, my attempts at 100w in the fog's ended when the heat inside the lamp melted the wires. There is not enough space in there to keep heat under control. I have long since switched back to 55w. If you want better lighting, pls try to upgrade the head lamps - may be the projector way, a-la @The Godfather's Safari.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks