Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2008, 23:02   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by power ranger View Post
IBM_Jennifer,
Looks like my bad luck with mirror continues. My DICOR left side mirror broke once again thanks to a reckless bus driver.
Anyway, can you please suggest some cheap replacement. Last time I paid around 3800. Dont want to spend so much again.
You were mentioning about the non heater and non motorized mirror on LX earlier. what is the cost of this ?
Also, is there any way to contact Engine Tech direclty in Bangalore ?
The TASS is usesless as they harass the owner to the maximum extent possible.
Please guide me to somewhere wher I can get this in Bangalore or even suggestions like whether any other vehicle one like SUMO etc will fit in
Why do you want to go for the non motorised mirrors? I know you will save money but in a vehicle of the Safari's width, it will be very difficult to adjust the left mirror when you are alone!
Old 5th March 2009, 22:37   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Any idea which company pump the 2001 model would have? (Bosch or Mico).
It should be a Lucas.

Quote:
Where can I get it reliably serviced at Mumbai. Any authorised centres only for this?
No idea about Mumbai, But in Chennai Bosch & TVS has their own service stations.

Quote:
What about new pump to replace this one in exchange. - cost?
[FONT=Arial]Fuel Distributor Pump: 56,000 (Mico) and 43,000 for Lucas.[/FONT]

What about a refurbished pump to replace this one in exchange?

If you can find a MICO get it.

How do you recommend i go about this to do it ASAP?

First take the pump to a good mechanic and replace the rubber parts[FONT=Arial] & perform a calibration. Check the return hose for fuel return. Check the accelerator cables. [/FONT]If nothing solves, reply here.
Old 9th March 2009, 10:47   #48
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

poor acceleration remains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibm_jennifer View Post

First take the pump to a good mechanic and replace the rubber parts[FONT=Arial] & perform a calibration. Check the return hose for fuel return. Check the accelerator cables. [/FONT]If nothing solves, reply here.
Thank you for the reply.

Yes got the Pump serviced by a Mico Bosch Authorized outlet. (there was also a bit of diesel leaking out, and that too was taken care of.

BUT THE POOR ACCELERATION PROBLEM REMAINS.

What DO I CHECK IN THE ACCELERATOR CABLES. The accelerator cable has been replaced about a year back by a local mechanic, could he have replaced it with something that is causing a mis fit? I had figured this to be an adjustable cable that should not cause any such issues?? The safari does not go beyound 80 easily and they its been a while since I drove it comfortably past 100 (which i used to do a lot earlier.)
Old 10th March 2009, 01:35   #49
BHPian

Man, i am also having a TCIC Safari and I can easily go upto 140. Its all about driving style and the maintenance.

1. For poor acceleration, try to clean/remove your catalytic converter and check the car.
2. It may be because of the lack in air intake system. Open and clean your inlet manifolds and air filters.
3. Is your TURBO working perfectly, can you hear the turbo noice? If not check the turbo fan, if its working or not?
4. Are the 4 glow plugs are working fine? Try to clean the fuel injectors.

if you are in Chennai, i may help you by asking my mechanic to check the car free.
Old 12th March 2009, 15:46   #50
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Man, i am also having a TCIC Safari and I can easily go upto 140. Its all about driving style and the maintenance.

1. For poor acceleration, try to clean/remove your catalytic converter and check the car.
WILL TRY THIS
2. It may be because of the lack in air intake system. Open and clean your inlet manifolds and air filters.
WILL TRY THIS
3. Is your TURBO working perfectly, can you hear the turbo noice? If not check the turbo fan, if its working or not?
ALREADY HAVE A BIT OF DOUBT IN THIS AREA. NEED TO GET THE TURBO CHECKED OUT. BY THE WAY WHAT DOES A REPLACEMENT TURBO COST? BOTH NEW AND REFURBISHED.
WILL CHECK OUT.
if you are in Chennai, i may help you by asking my mechanic to check the car free.
AM BASED IN BOMBAY
Thanks for the fast response, will update based on how it goes.
Old 13th March 2009, 18:18   #51
BHPian

Quote:
ALREADY HAVE A BIT OF DOUBT IN THIS AREA. NEED TO GET THE TURBO CHECKED OUT. BY THE WAY WHAT DOES A REPLACEMENT TURBO COST? BOTH NEW AND REFURBISHED.
A new Turbo charger cost you 24,000. But make sure to confirm the fault. Remove the air inlets and turbo exhaust pipe, then run the engine. The turbo fan should work. You can see the fan via the exhaust hole.
Old 16th March 2009, 14:47   #52
Vicky_s_world

Wow man I never knew Sfari's spares were that inexpensive, front strut below 1000/- wow man, I used to spend 1600 for replacing my Esteems.
Good review. I guess I can consider buying a second hand Safari now without any nigtmares of the car roobbing me untill my last penny!!

Old 17th March 2009, 20:32   #53
BHPian

Man, its not that cheap if you care your vehicle very much! I spend over 3 lacks over my TCIC.
Old 19th March 2009, 11:59   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Man, its not that cheap if you care your vehicle very much! I spend over 3 lacks over my TCIC.
Over 3 lakhs spend till now on maintenance ? That sounds very costly. How much is the running till now ?
Old 19th March 2009, 12:16   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Over 3 lakhs spend till now on maintenance ?
I am sorry, its not only for maintenance. And it crossed 70k yesterday.
Old 19th March 2009, 15:27   #56
Vicky_s_world

Jeny, I am getting a 1999 4x4 for 1.7L should I buy it or not? Seeing the maintainance cost n all???????

Old 19th March 2009, 19:50   #57
BHPian

Never buy a used 4x4 Safari, buy an elephant instead.

And 1999 model is the TATA R&D first batch which has lot of manufacturing defects. Save some money and get a 2WD second batch at least.

And do not buy a white color, and avoid a used safari which crossed 175k.

Last edited by ibm_jennifer : 19th March 2009 at 19:57.
Old 13th April 2009, 23:49   #58

Can you please let me know why not a white safari.just eager to know since i own a sweet big white 2005 safari 4x4 white color.
Old 14th April 2009, 10:42   #59
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Culpit was the Cat converter

Quote:
A new Turbo charger cost you 24,000. But make sure to confirm the fault. Remove the air inlets and turbo exhaust pipe, then run the engine. The turbo fan should work. You can see the fan via the exhaust hole.
Quote:

The Fault was an eye opener:

The turbo, Accelerator cables and all filters and the inlet manifold were fine fine. Yet got the car serviced and oil and filters replaced. The suthorized service centre would not find a fault, though he too found the power to be lesser. Asked me to check out the fuel pump.

A day or two later, the car just would not climb on bridges in Bombay.
Gave the car to a local mechanic, he first suspected the Clutch (which was actually quite new) and then his sr. mechanic felt it had to do with the fuel pump.
It then took the car to the mechanic who had got the car fule pump also recently serviced by Bosh authorised centre. The bosh centre felt the fuel pump was fine and that the fault lay in the valves, or the inlet line.

At this time the mechanic noticed that the smoke was not coming out of the exhaust as it should and seemed reduced even under acceleration.

So the Cat converter was opened up and there lay the fault. The power improved immediately without the Cat coverter. The Cat converter has been cleaned and put back and the power improvement is a minimum of 30% increase.

The fault lay in the clogged Cat converter.

This made me also realize that this fault could also exist in other safaris that have exceeded 125,000 kms and would recommend all to check out their cat converters, as they could be loosing power unnecessarly.

Also thought I should check out on the forum what could be the impact of running the car without the CAT- Besides increased polution - would the power gain be significant??????

Any response to this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vedagiri1983 View Post
Can you please let me know why not a white safari.just eager to know since i own a sweet big white 2005 safari 4x4 white color.
I guess it's due to the similarity with a "White Elephant" On a serious note, Safari's are in someways quite cheap to run & maintain if one considers the amount of abuse they take. One cant expect the Safari to have the maintenance cost of an esteme and take the highest abuse possible.
Old 14th April 2009, 14:55   #60
BHPian

Quote:
The fault lay in the clogged Cat converter.
I asked to do it first.

Quote:
Also thought I should check out on the forum what could be the impact of running the car without the CAT- Besides increased polution - would the power gain be significant??????
Nothing else, its just for pollution control.

Quote:
The Cat converter has been cleaned and put back
How do you cleaned the cat. converter? And whats the color of the material inside the cat. after cleaning?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks