Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2010, 21:38   #76

Hi friends,

Could you please let me know how much will a TATA Safari body cost? My vehicle's chassis is fine, I need to change the upper body.
Old 28th July 2010, 13:33   #77
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Anurag

Which model do you have the TCIC or the Dicor 3.0 or the Dicor 2.2.

Preumably you have the TCIC - I think the Body change with paint over will cost you close to the current value of your vehicle at about 1.4L, in the safari the body remains in decent condition over the years, and it is the plastic interior and exterior bits that wear off. So somehow it does not seem logical to change the entire body.

Better sell off the vehicle and pick up a second hand dicor 2.2 or even 3.0. If you already have a dicor then obviously it is too soon to change the boby but for an accident wiping it off - though in such an accident the pastics and chassis too should not survive too well.
Old 28th July 2010, 23:20   #78
AVR
BHPian

While I agree completely with ACM, the complete body shell is 1,80,000
Its given in an earlier post on this thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...tml#post944957
Old 6th November 2010, 22:13   #79
BHPian

steering cross bearing failure ?

Hi ANYBODY, (who can shed light on this )
I have a tcic 2004. Some time back the cross bearing connecting the steering ( i hope its the right terminology ) , there are 2 of them , one higher coming out of the dash side in same axis line with the steering column.
this bearing has developed play , which on encountering slightly bad stretches of roads , sets of a wobble in the steering accompanied with katak katak sound when the steering hits either side of the center position almost as if it has got stops at either end , ( a 10 /15 degree arc )this happens at speeds about 60 kmph onwards and goes away on quickly turning on either side.
My query is can this cause wobbling like type caused by disbalanced tyres ( mine are not apperently ) ?
Has anybody changed this part or faced this issue ?
thnks , Kedar
p.s. the bearing under suspicion is the upper one

Last edited by HIGHNOON : 6th November 2010 at 22:16.
Old 14th February 2011, 21:56   #80
BHPian

Re: TATA Safari TCIC Maintenance Cost

Well both bearings needed to be changed - cost of the upper Rs.450/- and lower one Rs.550/- incidently these are shared by bolero too.
problem solved.
Old 24th March 2011, 23:53   #81
BHPian

cooling coil rear leakage

Cooling gone kaput last week. finally got the ac checked today. after checking for leakage , the rear cooling coil was found to have developed a leak and was replaced with oe subros one. Cooling is good now. also got the heater coolant supply cut and the pipe returned by by pass.

cost -
1) coil - Rs.2800/-
2) Gas - Rs.1500/-
3) nitrogen -rS.150/- ( NEW to me. So they started charging for nitroen too ? )
4) Labour- 750/-

So hopefully my coolant leakage stopped now. Cooling is good now but the blower speed seems a little slow at 1 than before. or am i imagining it?
Old 25th March 2011, 09:30   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: cooling coil rear leakage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHNOON View Post
3) nitrogen -rS.150/- ( NEW to me. So they started charging for nitroen too ? )
Nitrogen is always charged for. Needs processing before they can seperate it from air. But the beauty is the profit margin that they have when they "sell" nitrogen .. it's HUGE.
Old 25th March 2011, 22:04   #83
BHPian

fuel lid opener failure

The fuel lid remains open. the cable broken ? or some other problem?
anybody faced this before ? mine is a tcic safari.
BTW plastic trims inside are of so brittle plastic that while removing and replacing for the coil removal which is located next to the rear right tyre well , some of the trims litterally broke. tatas dont make 'em like hyundai.

Last edited by HIGHNOON : 25th March 2011 at 22:07.
Old 29th March 2011, 11:57   #84
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Highnoon, the TCIC Safari was pretty much TATA's first attempt at grand interiors and the pastics were quite bad, but today they have quite mastered the act and the new Manza Elan, the Aria and the Vista (newer one with back dash) have all got as good or better plastics than the competition in some case overall par for the course in each of its segments. But they did take a long while coming and got their act together only in the last year or so, though they had one round of major imrovements from the time they got 2.2 dicor Safari on the road towards 2007 end. The Safari Merlin due to come out later this year should have the best interiors ever for a Safari.
Old 29th March 2011, 18:30   #85
AVR
BHPian

Re: fuel lid opener failure

Quote:
The fuel lid remains open. the cable broken ? or some other problem?
anybody faced this before ? mine is a tcic safari.
If it remains open just try straightening the clamp at the back of the fuel lid so that it closes properly. I face this issue and it gets sorted by just straightening it (making it at a right angle to the lid)
Old 30th March 2011, 11:49   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR View Post
If it remains open just try straightening the clamp at the back of the fuel lid so that it closes properly. I face this issue and it gets sorted by just straightening it (making it at a right angle to the lid)
I am afraid its gone beyond that. That clamp after working on so many times its on the verge of breaking loose.
I ll try and get a door mechanic to have a look at it. ( the cable i mean ) otherwise , shall get a fiat type lock retrofitted to hold the lid.
dont want to venture to T.A.S.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Highnoon, the TCIC Safari was pretty much TATA's first attempt at grand interiors and the pastics were quite bad,
You are right. But if it takes them almost a decade to improve things to a level of competing manufacturers had a decade back thngs are not as good as they ought to.
I feel they give a big bang for buck but some of the stuff they use is still poor quality , fit , finish and is not built to last say even half a decade.
I made my sister buy vista safire Aura over ritz, swift etc. It is an improvement over last generation of indica and thats about it. At only 6000 km in over a year and half of very sedate driving, the trims are rattling/ creaking away already. Front suspension issues already. Gear backlash throttle noise. Not very good fuel economy.
I dont think Tatas have mastered anything as yet. But they are doing alright on quite a few fronts and they are not looting the customer upfront like maruti.
But inspite of having cheap / inexpensive spares , the tata products always work out expensive to maintain. or if i rephrase , difficult to maintain in great condition inspite of care and money ( The safari is my 4th tata ).

Last edited by GTO : 20th May 2011 at 13:12. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another!
Old 6th April 2011, 11:06   #87
BHPian

TAPPET NOISE ? finally turned out piston pin noise

The slap/ knock noise that i was getting f0r so long and for which i twice had the tappet clearance checked, finally may be due to piston to piston pin ( gudgen ? ) oil clerance or connecting rod bush clearance / play. causing the piston pin to make terrible tappet like slap / knock noise ( sometimes heard in DI engined transport vehicles such as 407 tata or mahindra pickups).
Going to open up the engine this weekend.
Anybody has any ideas about the DIFFERENT QUALITY OF piston rings or should i stick with OE?
Old 13th August 2011, 22:17   #88
BHPian

Sorry for the delayed update !

I did open the top half of engine. One piston which must have seized some times
in the past, was scruffed up. And was the culprit.
In any case , piston rings , gudgeon pin was ok. But changed both the pins and the bushes, changed the ring to goetze. Head was checked , new roots gasket was put. Also changed the oil seals, all the belts. Piston i had to get from a scrap shop as new ones come in batch of 4.
Noise vanished. Sounds sweet like a new engine. Cost Rs.14000/-
Ran for a 1000km then changed the oil again.
Now vehicle is very smooth.
Fuel Efficiency is reduced by 10% but should improve after 2500km or so.
Old 14th August 2011, 09:28   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry for the delayed update !

I did open the top half of engine. One piston which must have seized some times
in the past, was scruffed up. And was the culprit.
In any case , piston rings , gudgeon pin was ok. But changed both the pins and the bushes, changed the ring to goetze. Head was checked , new roots gasket was put. Also changed the oil seals, all the belts. Piston i had to get from a scrap shop as new ones come in batch of 4.
Noise vanished. Sounds sweet like a new engine. Cost Rs.14000/-
Ran for a 1000km then changed the oil again.
Now vehicle is very smooth.
Fuel Efficiency is reduced by 10% but should improve after 2500km or so.
You sold her? did'nt you? From which place did you sourced the used piston from? I mean which area?
Old 14th August 2011, 17:02   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
You sold her? did'nt you? From which place did you sourced the used piston from? I mean which area?
I did sell her. But awaiting the 1 lac 5. i have been paid 1.40. The buyer is dillidallying.http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/images/smilies/mad.gif
I got the salvaged piston from CST road Kurla. Had to pay 700/- for it. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/images...rustration.gif
A set of 4 piston telco packing comes for a little over 4000 rs.
Unfortunately the pistons are different than sumo 483 dl turbo engine , which are cheaply / easily available.

Last edited by HIGHNOON : 14th August 2011 at 17:03.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks