Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2008, 15:44   #31
BANNED

Su-47,

Your starting post and the last one are extremely contradictory.

Any way's your Safari is gone now, Wish it serves the new owner satisfactorily.

Why dont you cherish your memories of the car with some old pics of it on this forum.We'll be happy to see your car.

Best of luck for your new ride.keep us updated.
Old 29th May 2008, 15:47   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-47 View Post
If you are getting a good deal, buying safari is not a bad idea. Whatever I said doesn't take away the positives from it. It is a fantastic car on the highway, has good road presence, absorbs bad roads and is decently fuel efficient too. The problem with me was I wanted something more than that. If your cousin can live with the negatives I've listed, by all means go for it. Do remember to get it checked by some knowledgeable guy though.
Thanks for the suggestion Su. Had been with my cousin bro for a thorough inspection of the vehicle though I am not proficient technically with SUV/MUV. With pointers from T-Bhp i thought i should be able to manage it.

Its a 2006 3.0 Dicor, golden color. The guy was giving it for 5.5 lakhs. It has 35000 kms on the odo. Externally the vehicle looks immaculate. I drove the vehicle and found it to be a bit sluggish. Thought this to be inherent to SUV's in the beginning. On an open stretch it still struggled and handling was not very inspiring. But the worst part was the braking. It was not at all confidence inspiring at high speeds. And there was some amount of body roll which was noticeable as well at sudden braking. I gave up and thought that I am not very good at driving big vehicles. I took my Indica Mechanic who has been with prerana motors as the cheif mechanic for quite a while and is very experienced with Tata vehicles. He checked the vehicle and said that there is about 15k expenditure and it would be a good buy if we can get it for around 5 lakhs or at least 5.25 lakhs. Checked with the seller. He was stuck to 5.5 so my cousin was ready to take the risk and bought the vehicle today. He will send it to repairs and service tomorrow. Have to speak to the mechanic in detail about the expenditure. So to say, my cousin did reclaim his life
Old 29th May 2008, 16:11   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Your starting post and the last one are extremely contradictory.
May I ask what do you find contradictory? I said in the first post itself, my car was not a lemon.
Old 29th May 2008, 17:21   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
I am guessing you are speaking from personal experience here.

I drive a 3.0 and have driven it in all possible traffic conditions and road surfaces (or no roads). I have never felt the powerband to be an issue in traffic.

There is enough torque to keep moving at any traffic speed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
with you on this. even me drives the 3ltr in Bengaluru city traffic, Narrowest of chickpet road, diched it, abused, used neatly. All through the 3 ltr has come out a winner.but never felt any handling issues.

Forced to drive this monster in A'bad city. Found out that for a vehicle with this mass and 3.0ltr engine there should have been wider powerband. Didnt like that at all. A couple of times, I felt that my Caliber ( at that time i didnt have Zeus, and was using Caliber ) has better and wider torque for itself which safari lacked.
Drive a 2.2 and you will realize what I mean. But after the agonizing SG Road, the highway run was excellent. 120-130 effortless with 4 person and luggage. Bad roads dont exist inside safari.

But for the city it was sufficient to say " I am suppossed to be driving SUV not crude LCV. "
Old 29th May 2008, 17:43   #35
BHPian

Dear Abhinav.S please keep us posted on the list of repairs that your cousin had to undertake post the purchase. This would give us an insight on the expenses that we may have to bear during purchasing a second hand 'monster'.
Old 29th May 2008, 17:48   #36
BHPian

Su. If you liked the M2DI, you would love the MHawk, and I can tell you by experience there is nothing like the Scorp when it comes to reliabilty, no niggles, no rattles, you never have to visit the service center (except for your scheduled services), the body roll is there but then that is there in most of the SUV's so you have got to live with it and to top it all the power & the zip is just amazing.

Try it once, may be you will like it and not have to live with a sedan if what you wanted was a SUV
Old 29th May 2008, 17:57   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
aaggoswami : Found out that for a vehicle with this mass and 3.0ltr engine there should have been wider powerband.
Would like to know how did you operate that Dicor ? Have you maintained the gear-speed ratios as mentioned in the owner's manual, or did you drive as you normally do ?

To keep the vehicle in the power-band, you would need to maintain the gear-speed ratios as mentioned in the owner's manual. The normal practice & tendency is to shift early to get better FE. This results in the vehicle being out-side the power band & will naturally feel sluggish.
Old 29th May 2008, 18:36   #38
BANNED

He sold the Safari because he had "his" reasons, he isnt advising others to do it right? I think he didnt know what he wanted and picked up the wrong car/suv and is now correcting it. Simple.
Old 29th May 2008, 19:01   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
I hope to sell my Dicor soon too, but only to pick up a 2.2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Steeroid: What are the major advantages of a 2.2 over the 3.0? I have heard people say 2.2 is better but not aware how.
Recently when I was at the Tata ASC,
I heard the Service advisor saying that Safari 3.0 has been giving them never ending headaches. when I asked why, he said it was a dud as compared to 2.2 dicor and that fellow started talking technical stuff. ...at which point I left.
Old 29th May 2008, 19:09   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
He sold the Safari because he had "his" reasons, he isnt advising others to do it right?
Absolutely right! I've said multiple times in this thread: it is a great highway cruiser, nothing comes close.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
I think he didnt know what he wanted and picked up the wrong car/suv and is now correcting it. Simple.
Not really. Lets put it this way: I knew what I wanted, but didnt make the right decision. I knew that it the truck wouldn't be perfect as far as braking, steering and noises are concerned, but couldn't predict that the extent of those would be higher than my tolerance limit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclectix 1st View Post
Recently when I was at the Tata ASC, I heard the Service advisor saying that Safari 3.0 has been giving them never ending headaches. when I asked why, he said it was a dud as compared to 2.2 dicor and that fellow started talking technical stuff.
I wouldn't take their word as absolute truth.
- They are not as technically competent as they sound, and use the jargon to frighten people. I remember "Sir, it uses completely new technology VTVT". Upon cross questioning you realise that they dont even know the benefit that a VGT offers over FGT.
- If there is an issue that the service centre guys can't locate fast enough, they straightaway blame it on wrong design. I've seen this happen for cars other than tata as well.

Last edited by Su-47 : 29th May 2008 at 19:23.
Old 29th May 2008, 20:12   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Would like to know how did you operate that Dicor ? Have you maintained the gear-speed ratios as mentioned in the owner's manual, or did you drive as you normally do ?

I think I said it has very narrow power band. If I am not wrong, the 3.0 did redline at 3K rpm. This is where the trouble was. I changed gear at 2K, and by the time I am in 3rd I have to brake, and as the vehicle is high geared, instant take off ( required in cities ) is not possible in anything but 1st gear.

The motor wont pull before 1500-1700 rpm and would trail at around 3000rpm. Thats why I mentioned about the narrow band and this is irritating in the city.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 29th May 2008 at 20:13.
Old 29th May 2008, 20:41   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
aaggoswami : I changed gear at 2K, and by the time I am in 3rd I have to brake, ..
That's the kind of traffic congestion we have.
Old 29th May 2008, 21:33   #43
BANNED

Su,

You are right, i got what you are meaning to say,and good you still stand by your Safari even after selling it.

Guys lets not start debating about the safari on one more of the numerous thread.

something about the A.S.C guys. they maintain that 3 ltr still sells for its engine, and i've driven the 2.2 and felt its anyways a Safari, and its got better.

Lets leave it at that.

3 ltr Safari is not everyone's cup of tea.

I am happy with mine,as i've adapted to the driving style as condor has mentioned.

The differences arises only once you operate the car as per you want to.Follow the book and there's no better SUV than this.

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 29th May 2008 at 21:36.
Old 29th May 2008, 21:47   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
eclectix 1st : Recently when I was at the Tata ASC, I heard the Service advisor saying that Safari 3.0 has been giving them never ending headaches. when I asked why, he said it was a dud as compared to 2.2 dicor ...
Was he trying to sell you a 2.2 ? The 3.0 is stopped, and it's their own product. He wasnt trying to put down the competitor, but just trying some sales talk to highlight the current & new model ?.
Old 29th May 2008, 21:51   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Was he trying to sell you a 2.2 ? The 3.0 is stopped, and it's their own product. He wasnt trying to put down the competitor, but just trying some sales talk to highlight the current & new model ?.
His banter was mostly about the service aspects & people facing problems with 3.0

I'm happy with my palio 1.6
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks