Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2008, 23:53   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theodore_ftw View Post
Dear Abhinav.S please keep us posted on the list of repairs that your cousin had to undertake post the purchase. This would give us an insight on the expenses that we may have to bear during purchasing a second hand 'monster'.
Am going there on the weekend with my cousin. Since I know this mechanic for quite some time and he is my regular Indica mechanic for servicing, I am sure his quote will be more or less accurate. I also want to know the list of repairs or the defects with the vehicle that will warrant 15k expenses.

And Su, thanks to you, i did not discourage my cousin completely. He is used to driving SUV's and adapted very soon to the driving style of the Safari. Infact, today evening, post purchase, he was beaming with a 1000 watt smile which conveyed the fact that he is one satisfied guy. It was just that i was struggling to adapt to the driving style. Kudos to you for that!!
Old 30th May 2008, 00:11   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
That's the kind of traffic congestion we have.
Yes, and this is factor getting so serious that even sometimes walking can be faster than using a 2 wheeler, let alone 4 wheeler.

I think that you are in Banglore so you have seen more traffic jams than me. But in A'bad also traffic is bad. Coupled with the unbelievably high gearing of Safari 3.0, i learnt the hard way that engine must be taken to 3K before shifting a gear or else as soon as you shifted upwards, the car is out of narrow ( mostly the effective powerband was 1500rpm to 1700rpm i.e. from 1300-1500 to 3000 rpm) powerband. And then before I can think I had to engage the gear I had shifted up from just 2-3secs earlier because of the traffic conditions ( as mentioned by you ).
Old 30th May 2008, 00:36   #48
BHPian

well looks like your preferences suit more towards a sedan car but a good decision regardless. Refinement is something where tata still has a lot of catching up to do.

next time when you are looking for a new car do give a thought about cedia. I think it would suit your preferences and budget fine. If your are an ardent SUV fan than how about second hand CRV or a pajero.

till than enjoy the lancer.
Old 30th May 2008, 07:23   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
aaggoswami : I think I said it has very narrow power band. If I am not wrong, the 3.0 did redline at 3K rpm. This is where the trouble was. .
@aggoswami, I would say again that the 3k redline should not be a problem. Consider my engine - it redlines at 4.2k. But at no time have I done more than 2.6k. I say this after driving 36k over all kinds of terrain, including highways & ghats. And most times, I'm doing around 1.8k in city. On highways, it's a max of 2.2k rpm - a/c, at 100-105kph.

If the 3.0L Dicor redlines at 3k, it can be said as having a narrow power band - but that should not mean it does not have sufficient power. As long as it is able to run pull, it is good.
Old 30th May 2008, 10:01   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@aggoswami
If the 3.0L Dicor redlines at 3k, it can be said as having a narrow power band - but that should not mean it does not have sufficient power. As long as it is able to run pull, it is good.

Safari 3.0 does pull, but then the effective powerband is very narrow and the gearing is very ( rather sometimes I though insanely high ) so this translates into unpleasant driving experience with lots of gearshifts.
On the highway it was a different story. Effortless cruising.
Old 30th May 2008, 10:33   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Safari 3.0 does pull, but then the effective powerband is very narrow and the gearing is very ( rather sometimes I though insanely high ) so this translates into unpleasant driving experience with lots of gearshifts.
On the highway it was a different story. Effortless cruising.
In cities, you leave it at 2 & 3 and it will putter along happily in slow traffic. Start-stop and rip is not what this thing can do, though.
Old 30th May 2008, 12:13   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Glad I went through this post. One of my cousins was planning to buy a used 3.0 Dicor as he was getting it for a good bargain. I told him to hold on till I get more info on it. And lo & behold!! You come up with the actual reasons for selling a new Safari 3.0 which i think will be very useful to convince my cousin.

But on the other hand, i feel sad that you had so many difficulties with it. One way its good that you parted ways! And Lancer to be taken care of is an inviting deal. Hope you take real good care of the lancer..
I wish you can recommed him to stay away from any used cars from Tata. I am sure losing peace of mind is not far away from his purchase.
Old 30th May 2008, 15:45   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agbenny View Post
I wish you can recommed him to stay away from any used cars from Tata. I am sure losing peace of mind is not far away from his purchase.
Hi agbenny, I did try to at first, but he did after all like the vehicle and went ahead with the purchase yesterday evening. Will keep you all updated on the repairs being undertaken and the vehicle in general.
Old 30th May 2008, 15:49   #54
Senior - BHPian

Which workshop does he get it done, as you posted, the mechanic was the chief earlier with TATA A.S.S.

Please post address/ directions, it would help others here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Hi agbenny, I did try to at first, but he did after all like the vehicle and went ahead with the purchase yesterday evening. Will keep you all updated on the repairs being undertaken and the vehicle in general.
Old 30th May 2008, 17:22   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Which workshop does he get it done, as you posted, the mechanic was the chief earlier with TATA A.S.S.

Please post address/ directions, it would help others here.
Sorry I dont know the address, but definitely give you the directions. This guy has his shop on Bannerghatta Road. After you cross the IIM-B campus on Bannerghatta road, you get his shop on the right hand side. The name is RAAM COOL CARS. I have not been there for quite some time since I was busy with my schedules and dad was getting my car attended to as well. I heard my dad mention that he might change the name of the shop to COOL CARZ. So either of the two and its easy to locate once you hit IIM-B.

The guy is a pro at what he does specially with diesels of all makes and kind. He does not look to burn a hole in your pocket and very reasonable for minor as well as major repairs. PM me in case you need more details.

Also good news is the expenditure on my cousin's Safari is only 8-10k after thorough evaluation and not 15k like he had mentioned in the beginning. Now thats real good news i must say!!!
Old 30th May 2008, 18:54   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
In cities, you leave it at 2 & 3 and it will putter along happily in slow traffic. Start-stop and rip is not what this thing can do, though.
And in typical city driving that I faced, it was damn start stop. Actually I had to slow down to speeds we can call dead slow. But then 1st was required.
Old 30th May 2008, 21:53   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
aaggoswami : Actually I had to slow down to speeds we can call dead slow.
at such speeds, all you need to do would be to shift into first, and let go off the acclerator and the clutch.
Old 30th May 2008, 22:42   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
at such speeds, all you need to do would be to shift into first, and let go off the acclerator and the clutch.
But then some wider powerband and lower gearing in 3.0 would have helped. Any way I did what you have mentioned.
Old 30th May 2008, 23:01   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
But then some wider powerband and lower gearing in 3.0 would have helped. Any way I did what you have mentioned.
buddy,you dont know how to drive a safari in city.thats what i can make out of your posts.

for stop and go traffic(Ist & 2nd gears constantly) you dont even have to touch accelerator,and its a huge bonus.

and once you are in 3rd,the road is yours

so where is the problem ? i have seen lot of people complaining about first 2 gears of safari 3.0 cos they are not driving it as it should be.

Its a wonderful vehicle at least for me and i would request you to stop hijacking this thread.

if you have something to share please open a new thread and we'll discuss it there in detail.
Old 30th May 2008, 23:44   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_sunny001 View Post
buddy,you dont know how to drive a safari in city.thats what i can make out of your posts.

for stop and go traffic(Ist & 2nd gears constantly) you dont even have to touch accelerator,and its a huge bonus.

and once you are in 3rd,the road is yours

so where is the problem ? i have seen lot of people complaining about first 2 gears of safari 3.0 cos they are not driving it as it should be.

Its a wonderful vehicle at least for me and i would request you to stop hijacking this thread.

if you have something to share please open a new thread and we'll discuss it there in detail.
1)In my case it wasnt that.
2)I cant drive over other road users. I am talking about the dense traffic conditions.
3)It was not a wonderful vehicle for me.
4) I dont have any intentions of hijacking any threads. That is not why I am here.
5) I said that the problem suffered by the thread starter about driveability was very near to what I faced.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks