Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2008, 20:45   #1
BHPian

Sold my Safari (3.0): Why?

The first thought that may come to anybody's mind is: it was a lemon. No, it wasn't a lemon. On the contrary, I think I faced lesser issues than many other Safaris. The ones I can remember are a stuck rear door lock and oil leakage due to a bad seal (or gasket).

Then, why our alliance didn't work out well. Read on:

Braking: This was my biggest problem. Since its a (S)UV, I expected the braking to be poor, but it turned out to be PATHETIC. It failed to inspire any confidence. And, many times when I had to brake hard, it resulted in a skid. This is inspite of the fact that the truck rode on Michelin Synchrones.

Steering: The steering has enough play to make most people uncomfortable, and I am with the majority here. I slowly learnt to filter out the play, and life became easier, but never easy enough.

Airconditioning: Initially, I felt that the AC was decent. But, come peak summers (or whatever we call peak-summer in BLR) the cooling turned out to be pretty mediocre. BTW, my car did have decent sunfilms (LLumar Platinum).

Just for sake of comparison, I would like to mention my experience with the Scorp-M2di, which I ended up using last month on my trip to MP. Its airconditioning was much better inspite of Central India being a couple of degrees hotter than BLR and the Scorp having no sunfilms at all.

Driveability: It was uncomfortable to drive the truck in the peak hour traffic in BLR. The gear ratios of 2nd and 3rd coupled with the narrow power band made it uncomfortable. Its not impossible to drive, its plain inconvenient.

Rattling, Noises: Every once in a while a new noise would surface. It would turn out to be something like a loose clip behind the dashboard, slightly misaligned clamp or a loosened screw somewhere. I just couldn't come to terms with the fact that a new car can have such strange noises. Sorry to bring another car in picture, but, I dont hear such noises in our 7 year old Matiz.

Refinement: Lets not talk about it.

I decided that if I am not happy with something, no point in living with it. At one point, the thought about rectifying the issues (better brakes, overhead AC..) came to my mind, but I couldn't convince myself. So, we had no choice but to part-ways.

Will I miss it? Yeah, for the excellent ride, space and highway comfort. I dont really care anymore whether the autos and cabbies make way when they see me in the RVM.

Cheers,
Su-47
Old 28th May 2008, 21:31   #2
BANNED

so what are you planning to buy budddy
Old 28th May 2008, 21:44   #3
BHPian

Nothing as of now. A friend will be away from town for a couple of months and he has asked me to *take-care* of his lancer while he's gone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenopio View Post
so what are you planning to buy budddy
I did get the AC checked. Though not as hot as many other places, summers are getting hot in BLR as well. Its not that AC doesn't work, it just takes a higher fan speed and longer time to cool things down. Add to that, the blower fan which is pretty noisy at speeds higher than 2 and causes a high degree of irritation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
a.c not effective in Bangalore seems weird, as summers are not really summers there. Did you check it?

Last edited by Su-47 : 28th May 2008 at 21:53. Reason: Responded to crazy driver
Old 28th May 2008, 21:47   #4
Team-BHP Support

Nice post. Any other car in mind for replacing the Safari?

a.c not effective in Bangalore seems weird, as summers are not really summers there. Did you check it?

Then again, as i read in one Safari thread. Everybody knows the Safari is not perfect, but they buy it for the sheer passion of it.

EDIT: Just saw the lancer 'care' post.
Old 28th May 2008, 23:27   #5
Senior - BHPian

Oh well, interesting it is. What a care you have to give!

PS: Come to delhi and experience real fundoo summer!
Old 29th May 2008, 00:16   #6
Senior - BHPian

Glad I went through this post. One of my cousins was planning to buy a used 3.0 Dicor as he was getting it for a good bargain. I told him to hold on till I get more info on it. And lo & behold!! You come up with the actual reasons for selling a new Safari 3.0 which i think will be very useful to convince my cousin.

But on the other hand, i feel sad that you had so many difficulties with it. One way its good that you parted ways! And Lancer to be taken care of is an inviting deal. Hope you take real good care of the lancer..
Old 29th May 2008, 00:26   #7
Senior - BHPian

Interesting, I guess you're the first person on the forum to get so irritated with the Safari's niggles that you sold it off!

Thanks for the nice & honest review though.
Old 29th May 2008, 09:36   #8
Senior - BHPian

Well, although its a 3.0l Safari but I would eventually take this decision with any car I am not happy with, right decision Su-47.

This was which year model/variant and how much did you get for this ??.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-47 View Post
I decided that if I am not happy with something, no point in living with it. At one point, the thought about rectifying the issues (better brakes, overhead AC..) came to my mind, but I couldn't convince myself. So, we had no choice but to part-ways.

Will I miss it? Yeah, for the excellent ride, space and highway comfort. I dont really care anymore whether the autos and cabbies make way when they see me in the RVM.

Cheers,
Su-47

Last edited by dadu : 29th May 2008 at 09:37.
Old 29th May 2008, 09:57   #9
Team-BHP Support

nice to see an honest review. if you didnt like it the best thing to do was to sell it. good choice su47.
Old 29th May 2008, 10:09   #10
BHPian

Good Decision su47,

One should never live with something you do not like. It keeps hogging your brain till you get rid of it
Old 29th May 2008, 10:14   #11
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the honest Review, su.
I agree with you, there is no point staying with something you are not comfortable with, no matter if selling it means a bit of financial loss. You did the right thing.
Old 29th May 2008, 10:36   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Interesting, I guess you're the first person on the forum to get so irritated with the Safari's niggles that you sold it off!

Thanks for the nice & honest review though.
I sold mine way back in feb . I had my share of problems from Day1 w.r.t defects and whatnot and ultimately I parted. Glad I took that decision. As they say all good things come to an end
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-term-ownership-reviews/18472-passion-red-safari-dicor-lx-4x2-15000-kms.html

Good Decision SU-47!

Last edited by Rahulk76 : 29th May 2008 at 10:40.
Old 29th May 2008, 10:47   #13
BHPian

Thanks for sharing your experience, Su. I always believed that the huge Safari club in team-bhp is because of the fact that it has good road presence (also the space and ride quality). Sad that it ends there. No wonder why the resale value of Scorpio is better than that of the Safari.
Old 29th May 2008, 11:00   #14
Senior - BHPian

Good decision. It is better to part ways with a vehicle you are not happy with. Thanks for sharing the honest review.
Old 29th May 2008, 11:13   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Glad I went through this post. One of my cousins was planning to buy a used 3.0 Dicor as he was getting it for a good bargain.
If you are getting a good deal, buying safari is not a bad idea. Whatever I said doesn't take away the positives from it. It is a fantastic car on the highway, has good road presence, absorbs bad roads and is decently fuel efficient too. The problem with me was I wanted something more than that. If your cousin can live with the negatives I've listed, by all means go for it. Do remember to get it checked by some knowledgeable guy though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
It wasn't just niggles IR. It also had to do with things like poor-braking, about which I couldn't do anything.

Last edited by Su-47 : 29th May 2008 at 11:19.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks