Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2015, 09:33   #406
Team-BHP Support

Re: Suzuki Grand Vitara: 2,32,000 kms & 7 years ownership

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar-v View Post
Just changed The battery on my 2007 2L AT. I got an Amaron Go-65AH. Cost was nett 5200. Fits perfectly. Go for 65AH.
Even I installed the same in 2010, it ran perfectly 5 years and one month even though I used to leave it unused 15-20 days every month. I recently re-installed the same model once again.

But this is all assuming that the battery cabinet is exactly the same size in 2.4L model. I suggest joshiviv to actually visit a battery shop to ensure the size is correct.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2015, 10:13   #407
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Even I installed the same in 2010, it ran perfectly 5 years and one month even though I used to leave it unused 15-20 days every month. I recently re-installed the same model once again.

But this is all assuming that the battery cabinet is exactly the same size in 2.4L model. I suggest joshiviv to actually visit a battery shop to ensure the size is correct.
Amaron Go on my Santro AT is now 3 years old. We use that vehicle very sparingly. To charge the battery I take it on a long drive (30-40kms) once in a couple of months. Do not buy online. Most of the models shown, on these sites, are either non-existent or the wrong fit. My new battery has dimensions of Length-260mm, Depth-170mm & Height-200mm. Model Amaron 95D26L. 18+18months warranty. Fit one from your friendly neighbourhood store.
Old 21st December 2015, 10:26   #408
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Do not buy online. Most of the models shown, on these sites, are either non-existent or the wrong fit.
Absolutely no issues so far, infact i have not gone to a shop for last 6-7 years and bought 4 batteries in this duration for various cars. Usually the local vendor who supplies double checks and ensures the right model is what has been ordered.

Infact swift diesel the OE battery was not available anywhere, so they (online) suggested a higher rating one which could be fitted by moving a grounding point.
Old 21st December 2015, 20:10   #409
BHPian

Quote:
Amaron Go on my Santro AT is now 3 years old. We use that vehicle very sparingly. To charge the battery I take it on a long drive (30-40kms) once in a couple of months. Do not buy online. Most of the models shown, on these sites, are either non-existent or the wrong fit. My new battery has dimensions of Length-260mm, Depth-170mm & Height-200mm. Model Amaron 95D26L. 18+18months warranty. Fit one from your friendly neighbourhood store.
Good points Samurai and Sridhar. Will go to the local Amaron dealer this weekend, unless of course the old battery managers to hold charge till then.
-Vivek
Old 21st December 2015, 20:29   #410
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshiviv View Post
Good points Samurai and Sridhar. Will go to the local Amaron dealer this weekend, unless of course the old battery managers to hold charge till then.
-Vivek
Most battery dealers have a test unit that checks the battery condition. First thing you may need to do is to top up the distilled water. If water levels are ok, get specific gravity of the cells checked. All these together will give a good idea of the condition.

Now one more point. The GV electronics does tend to drain a small amount of current all the time. After changing the battery and doing a 12-15 kms. run my stereo started playing. (It works only when the battery is charged above a certain level.) 6 hrs. of resting after this & the stereo is silent. For full charging, the battery needs a constant charging of 10-20 hrs. This will depend on actual charge balance.

Other signs of a weak battery are bulging of the vertical walls, white deposits at the terminals and voltage readings:-
Suzuki Grand Vitara:  2,32,000 kms & 7 years ownership-battery-voltages.jpg
So if you are not going to use the vehicle regularly you may also need to invest in a battery charger.
This is one I am looking at, if I do not get a locally made one:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/12V-1...844110836.html

The GV just cannot be pushed if it stalls. So err on the side of caution.
Old 21st December 2015, 20:36   #411
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The GV just cannot be pushed if it stalls. So err on the side of caution.
You mean your AT GV cannot be pushed. My MT GV can be pushed.
Old 22nd December 2015, 08:29   #412
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
You mean your AT GV cannot be pushed. My MT GV can be pushed.
Yup. Had tried it once. Ignition was switched off. Gearbox was in P. Brought the box to N by using the shift lock release. But the torque convertor was still in locked mode. Tried to put the transfer case in "N", and for that one needed the ignition to be switched on.

Over the next couple of days will do a few tests to see the effect of various combos of the gearbox on push-ability. On our next offroad outing I plan to run a set of controlled tests to see what actually is the logic of the control unit and force required for pushing MT & AT.

For everybody's info - while changing the battery I tested the central locking system. Locked all doors & wound down all the windows. When the battery was disconnected I reached in to the doors and unlocked the doors from the levers on the door pads. All doors unlocked mechanically. So no safety issues of getting locked in.
Old 24th December 2015, 13:30   #413
BHPian

Found some more details re battery voltage & specific gravity. First drain surface charge on battery. For this switch on ignition, but do not start engine. Fun the blower for 1 minute. Switch off. Check battery voltages using a multimeter.

If you have access to a meter you can also check specific gravity of the cells.

Currently my battery is at 20% charge.. So now I need to go for a long drive pronto.
Attached Thumbnails
Suzuki Grand Vitara:  2,32,000 kms & 7 years ownership-amaron-battery-test-voltage.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks