Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2014, 19:48   #301
Team-BHP Support

re: Suzuki Grand Vitara: 2,32,000 kms & 7 years ownership

Radiacz, the service bills for my 80K run GV is less than my 14K run i10.

dddd, what you say holds good for any 4x4 without rear LSD or diff lock.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2014, 21:00   #302

Note from Support:There are several spelling & grammatical errors in your posts. This negatively affects the forum experience for other readers.

Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission. Also, it would be a good idea to use spell-checkers.
Old 7th August 2014, 22:06   #303

Thanks Samurai for the quick reply.

In Bangalore , can we give the Grand Vitara to any MASS service centre or is there any preferred centre ?
Is there any place where I can get a copy of the spare parts price list ?

I currently use a 9 year old Hyundai accent which I bought used 4 years ago.
Even thought the service was costly,I never had issue with the car or a single day without it. There was no waiting for spares and I got the car back on time. That was something I really liked with Hyundai . I am hoping on something similar in terms of service experience with MASS. Is that a reasonable expectation ?

Last edited by radiacz : 7th August 2014 at 22:32. Reason: improving the readability of the post
Old 8th August 2014, 00:18   #304

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
PDF versions are available on line. A simple google ji command will reveal all that

https://www.google.co.in/search?q=gr...sm=93&ie=UTF-8
Sudevji, thanks for your help. As you're from Gurgaon and a GV veteran, could you please suggest possible places where I could get my GV repaired?
Appreciate your help in this matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_R View Post

I have had a chip, but a small one, on my windshield for several years. Its on the lower left side of the windshield and is not normally in my line of sight. I just live with it!

RR
Thanks R_R, surprisingly that's where I got the chip too. I've read around about this crack developing a web and then weakening the windscreen. Some people suggest a sticker approach. It's non-intrusive and also helps control the web from spreading around the windscreen. Did you look at this option earlier?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Radiacz, the service bills for my 80K run GV is less than my 14K run i10.

dddd, what you say holds good for any 4x4 without rear LSD or diff lock.
Thanks Samurai, but if you notice this article - http://www.globalsuzuki.com/gcm/bigheart/008.html

The front and real are Cam type differentials - "The cam-type LSD controls differential function to prevent skidding when a wheel slips, by maintaining torque on another wheel. And the torque-sensing LSD optimizes torque distribution between front and rear wheels in accordance with the driverŐs acceleration pedal input for greater response. "

Am a bit confused here and appreciate your help in this matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumdumdigadiga View Post
Thanks Samurai, but if you notice this article - http://www.globalsuzuki.com/gcm/bigheart/008.html

The front and real are Cam type differentials - "The cam-type LSD controls differential function to prevent skidding when a wheel slips, by maintaining torque on another wheel. And the torque-sensing LSD optimizes torque distribution between front and rear wheels in accordance with the driverŐs acceleration pedal input for greater response. "

Am a bit confused here and appreciate your help in this matter.
I'm a bit confused also on the traction with this video ----

However this is a beast -

Some questions to the answers to the behold rally in the world-
trans seberian -

Last edited by GTO : 23rd August 2014 at 09:49. Reason: Merging back to back posts
dumdumdigadiga is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2014, 19:34   #305
R_R
BHPian

Quote:

More generally, could you please suggest a good service center around Gurgaon?
I have been using Competent in Gurgaon, not too many options. But I did not find anyone there who is particularly well-versed with the GV or 4WD. So one has to be careful. Last time, after I serviced the car, I found that they had partly turned the 4WD switch to 'N '. When I asked, they claimed it must have been accidental, when they were cleaning the car. Now, I always check the switch after the car comes out!!

I also use Qutab for quick check-ups, but they generally don't have GV spares, so for jobs that require spares, they are no good. Only advantage with them is that they allow me to stand by the car to see they don't screw things up [which one can't do at Competent -- have to be satisfied with craning your neck trying to spot the car sitting in the customer lounge and biting your finger-nails!]

R_R
R_R is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2014, 02:05   #306
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiacz View Post
Thanks Samurai for the quick reply.

In Bangalore , can we give the Grand Vitara to any MASS service centre or is there any preferred centre ?
Is there any place where I can get a copy of the spare parts price list ?

I currently use a 9 year old Hyundai accent which I bought used 4 years ago.
Even thought the service was costly,I never had issue with the car or a single day without it. There was no waiting for spares and I got the car back on time. That was something I really liked with Hyundai . I am hoping on something similar in terms of service experience with MASS. Is that a reasonable expectation ?
I can't answer your query specifically about bangalore, my best guess is any service station is fine as long as it has people who are used to Grand Vitara. Else It can be a problem. I had a similar situation when I bought my GV about 4 months back. I took it to the nearest MA service center, incidentally one of the bigger ones. The guy at reception took nearly 30 minutes just trying to find an engineer who was willing to answer my questions however he seemed to be more interested in opening a job chart even before understanding the problem, regardless of whether I intended to get the job done or not. He quoted 18k for normal service including oil change. I left as quickly as I had arrived. In my subsequent hunt for a reliable workshop I discovered a local mechanic who seemed knowledgeable and experienced enough. I decided to take my chances with him and after some minor work and a service which costed me about half of what MASS engineer quoted, its so far so good.

Regarding the spare parts availability, expect some minor delays. A visit to local MGP store should get you the parts list however not all MGP stores have the GV catalog. This I discovered recently. Having said that, i must also state that most of these guys are nice enough to arrange a catalog from within their network fairly quickly. Delivery of actual parts is a different question though. My order of right taillight assembly took almost 10 days to arrive which is not all that bad yet doesn't match the ease of ready off the shelf availability.
rattanw is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2014, 11:51   #307

Quote:
I have been using Competent in Gurgaon, not too many options. But I did not find anyone there who is particularly well-versed with the GV or 4WD. So one has to be careful. Last time, after I serviced the car, I found that they had partly turned the 4WD switch to 'N '. When I asked, they claimed it must have been accidental, when they were cleaning the car. Now, I always check the switch after the car comes out!!

I also use Qutab for quick check-ups, but they generally don't have GV spares, so for jobs that require spares, they are no good. Only advantage with them is that they allow me to stand by the car to see they don't screw things up [which one can't do at Competent -- have to be satisfied with craning your neck trying to spot the car sitting in the customer lounge and biting your finger-nails!]

R_R
My more recent experience with Qutub Gurgaon was ok. Minor work - Got the front headlight(low beam) lamp replaced, New Wipers and alignment.
total cost was INR 600+. Not bad, I would say.

R_R -- Thanks for referring me to Qutub.

I also saw another silver GV there with a large crack on the windshield. Not sure if that person is in this group. Hello, if you are.
dumdumdigadiga is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2014, 11:06   #308
R_R
BHPian

Query for Sudevji, Samurai and others:

I just did the Spiti Valley loop and I had one question re 4WD modes on the GV: though I generally did not have to change the 4WD setting, I did shift from 4H to 4HLock a couple of times. I noticed that when shifting back to 4H, the indicator blinked for a long time, several minutes in fact, before it went out, to indicate it was back in 4H mode. Is this normal? Though the manual says it is not necessary, I did stop the vehicle each time I shifted modes back and forth. Would be good to hear from those who use the different modes more often than I do.

R_R
R_R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2014, 11:13   #309
Team-BHP Support

Sometimes it does take longer to shift between modes. Reason is not clear.
Old 22nd August 2014, 12:09   #310
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Sometimes it does take longer to shift between modes. Reason is not clear.
But several minutes does not sound right. It means its unable to shift due to some reason, that is why the blinking thingy
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2014, 09:59   #311
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Query for Sudevji, Samurai and others:
I just did the Spiti Valley loop and I had one question re 4WD modes on the GV: though I generally did not have to change the 4WD setting, I did shift from 4H to 4HLock a couple of times. I noticed that when shifting back to 4H, the indicator blinked for a long time, several minutes in fact, before it went out, to indicate it was back in 4H mode. Is this normal? Though the manual says it is not necessary, I did stop the vehicle each time I shifted modes back and forth. Would be good to hear from those who use the different modes more often than I do.R_R
You need not stop.

You need to press clutch till it shifts.
sudev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2014, 00:56   #312

Quote:
My more recent experience with Qutub Gurgaon was ok. Minor work - Got the front headlight(low beam) lamp replaced, New Wipers and alignment.
total cost was INR 600+. Not bad, I would say.

R_R -- Thanks for referring me to Qutub.

I also saw another silver GV there with a large crack on the windshield. Not sure if that person is in this group. Hello, if you are.
Hello Vitara Guru's. Been close to 2 months since I bought my 2008 GV AT. I think it's time to change them tires and am seeking your help here. I took my GV out for a semi off-road spin in the Aravalis and felt this need. I presently have Hankook's which is an OEM issue. Should I go for the same or are there other brands you might recommend? Another question is this - Keeping cash flow in mind, can I change the rear wheels first and then move to the front axle? Your help us much appreciated in this matter.
Old 13th September 2014, 11:28   #313
Team-BHP Support

Since all 4 wheels are powered all the time, you should replace all tyres together. Otherwise your new tyres will be slightly bigger than the old tyres. Therefore front & rear axles will experience different speeds. At 4H, the LSD will compensate. But in locked modes, it is not good at all.
Old 14th September 2014, 07:23   #314
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I presently have Hankook's which is an OEM issue.
Hankook OE issue? AFAIK it was Yoko HT 225/70/R16's

Quote:
Should I go for the same or are there other brands you might recommend? Another question is this - Keeping cash flow in mind, can I change the rear wheels first and then move to the front axle? Your help us much appreciated in this matter.
Ideally all four.

Practically if you are not going to use more few kilometers off road - AND out of that too few hundred meters in 4 H or L Lock - you can go in for two at a time.

Suggest you look at AT tread pattern so that you get best of both worlds.
sudev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2014, 08:55   #315
Senior - BHPian

145K running in petrol . It must have cost a bit to run.Maybe a diesel Duster might be a good idea if you choose to change your GV IMHO.

Anyways i am fan of cars which can run 100K easily without a fuss so i did enjoy reading your thread.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks