Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2005, 18:30   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJK
Absolutely agree with Rudra Sir! Instead of making huge threads of what accessories to put on Optra, you should have rather asked for what to look out for while buying a new car !
Can't help but agree with you RJK and Rudra. We've all, including the admin have shown you our experiences during car delivery and how to deal with dealers.

Monto, its very easy at an early age to get excited by taking delivery of a new car, since you are quite interested in driving it. But its also very easy to make a mess of it by not taking care during delivery.

Remember, you might like a car, but if the services that surround it are not upto the mark, walk away from it. Its a lesson i learnt hard, when i was about to take delivery of a Palio 1.6 GTX. But some careful approach later, i turned around and booked a Zen VXi. Today, i am happy to live with my Zen. The Palio is an amazing car, but Fiat as a company isn't.

Very essential while purchasing a car, check it thoroughly. If you think you don't know (and i really mean leave your ego aside and think practically, since most of us think we know a lot about cars but we really don't), take your trusted mechanic along with you. Let him check the car. Check for scratches. Check for flicked parts. Check everything if you need to. The dealer will oblige, if he doesn't you can threaten to terminate the deal then and there. Remember, make the dealer always remember who is the boss around. He needs you more than you need him, cuz there always are other dealers.

Revv
Old 11th June 2005, 18:56   #17
BHPian

i also totally agree with rudra sir.............one shud check the stuff one buys from top to bottom before saying ok..........it is true for a one ruppee candy to a maybach... now that the damage is done ( yes .. a new car with so many problems...and 91 on the odo already....does not sound ok..what to call good...)...u should this matter seriously and get the car parked in d dealers compound....and ask him to either replace it or fix the problems...and manual and stuff being kept back smells fishy..mayb the car is one rejected by somebody else....if i had been in your place..i would have been sitting at the dealer's place and making it a point that the problem is fixed....now its upto u.....

and secondly..i guess we need a thread from the experts on checklists before taking a delivery..be it a new ride or old.....we know how many team bhpians are buying new cars in the comin few months....swift et al........ ( a link to an old thread will also b appreciated...)

and one more thing...optra is actually a daewoo car....was about to be launched in india when the company went bust.....u can check the hood..somewhere on the engine..u will find the deawoo embelm...( that' what an ex-employee od daewoo told me...correct me if i am wrong)...
Old 11th June 2005, 19:19   #18
Senior - BHPian

ok people since Montoya made a mistake by not checking car/ not insisting on manual
give him a break

at this moment let us help him by telling him what to do. as this might be his top priority right now
and simulataneously we can open another thread suggsting people what to check for while taking car delivery

@Montoya: Did you called GM helpline? Did you went to Dealer for your manual? Please keep posting here so that we can help you
Old 11th June 2005, 19:51   #19
BHPian

and most importantly..PLZ tell us the name of the dealer....we should keep a record of black listed dealers in all cities.....
Old 11th June 2005, 22:22   #20
Senior - BHPian

Firstly, cngrats on your new car.

2ndly, sorry to hear about the problems.

And 3rdly : Here's another messy story. Uncle buys a brand new Ford Ikon 1.6 zxi in Bangalore, starts moving towards Hubli in the afternoon. Half way into the journey, it gets dark, uncles switches on the head lights and surprise, surprise........!!!! they're not working at all.

He had to wait till daylight and then continue. It might sound like a simple problem but, to him it turned out to be a real night mare.

Always test drive your car before you drive away from the showroom.

Shan2nu
Old 12th June 2005, 12:34   #21
Senior - BHPian

hey montoya, got your new set of wheels....congratulations...!!!!!!

Quote:
He had to wait till daylight and then continue.
ouch..!!! he must have been P-I-S-S-E-D O-F-F at the dealer after this ordeal...!!!

firstly, sorry to hear about your problems, montoya....but since it's only been a day since you bought your car, you should work out the issues with your dealer on a strong basis- tell him that he should solve the problems right there and then- fire away at him, telling him how the hell could he give you a defective car (which i sincerely hope it isn't ); if he doesn't take action immediately, leave the car at the dealer, and inform GM impromtu'. and since it's only been a day after delivery, you can also ask for a different car, as the dealer wouldn't have sent the necessary info for registration- but it also depends upon how convinced he is, of your anger....

secondly, how the hell could he not have given the manual..??? the manual is supposed to be given along with the car, with the necessary details filled inside....like mr. rudra said, i too, smell something fishy- maybe the dealer had filled in the details and delivered the car before, but the customer caught his act, and proved to be too hot to be handled by the dealer, which may be why the dealer must have ordered a second manual for the rejected car...i say so, because even if the manual is not given by the dealer at the time of delivery, it shouldn't take more than two-three days to deliver the same...... and definitely not as long as the first service..

and finally, here's the 24 hour GM helpline that i could muster off the net...

here's the site- chevroletindia
e-mail-customer.connect @gm.com

registered office;
halol, gujarat;
tel:02676-221000
fax:02676-220666

marketing office;
gurgaon, haryana;
tel:0124-2803333
fax:0124-2803344

hope this helps. and montoya, hope you can sort out your problems, soon.....
Old 12th June 2005, 13:33   #22
BANNED

Car working fine

Thanx everybody for your inputs. Yesterday i went to the dealer in the morning and i was very promptly greeted by the service manager. He took my car and rectified the vipers asap and gave me the car back. That problem has occured before when the car was newly lauched and this happened due to some wires.

Well GM india has a new rule that the Service manual is given at the first service. Anywayz yesterday i went to the showroom and managed to read the whole manual.

Well ABS is just working fine. I have been told that when dust particles come on the ABS system the light goes on and then off. yesterday at the same road it again switched on and then again went off. Guess the road is like that too dusty. After that it didnot switch on.

Quote:
Why is that? Did you ask them?
Yeah i did and he told me.. i guess thats well justified since car had to be taken long way for registration and also had to come driven from stockyard.. I have also visited the stockyard to see the dealer was not bulfing me and it came to be the same log..

Quote:
Where did you get this done? At the dealer’s point? If yes then why didn’t you address this then?
I got this done at a accesory shop and not at dealer.

Quote:
That’s the least he could do
Considering i was far away from the dealer.. i mean atleast 25km away..

Quote:
That’s his job? Trying to figure out something in middle of the road? Why didn’t he take the car back to service center?
Well that was at around 9:30 PM.. and the service center was closed.. he however told me that he could pick up my car next morning and take her to showroom and rectify problem and drop her back but i preferer to go myself so i did..

Quote:
You should have told them about it during delivery. They could have given you GOODYEAR
The problem being 15inchers come with only Kumho..

Quote:
SAME AS THE ABOVE.
They explained me that since the car is new the leather handbrake comes a bit up but that has stopped now..

Quote:
COULD YOU PLEASE TELL US EXACTLY WHAT DID YOU GET AFTER PAYING 10 LACS +?
Well Rudra Sir i have been told that i would be getting the bulbs and the first aid kit at first service and also since the sales managers wife is in hospital and he is roaming with his small kid all over the showroom i didnot bother to trouble him much..

Quote:
IFTEX G
Well that has stopped coming complimentary with the Optra nowadays and the dealer has ran out of stock. Any other additive that you recommend??

Quote:
What is that? Didn’t understand
Thats a new norm compulasry on BSIII cars and it is used to deflect light up or down to keep light constant with the no. of passengers increasing in the car..i.e weight increases so the car loweres a bit and the light goes up so to adjust it, its used..

Quote:
Looking at your post Montoya you should have either refused delivery / driven the car back imm and asked for a refund.
Its not a big issue.. just the manual and the first aid kit which i will get at first service.. Also ABS light switched on once..

Quote:
do check if at all your ABS works or not...

if i were you -i'd raise hell at the GM dealership...@ 10lakhs this is no joke..
ABS does work.. checked it..

Car is priced at 12L.. including ABS, 15inchers on road NY edition..

Quote:
accepted a not so perfect car
Car perfect just lack of Manual and first aid kit..

Quote:
'Got the film done at Ray barrier film..', why you rushed for this kind of thing which I believe rather difficult to undo. This would make your case difficult should you decide to fight back for a replcement car
Well no rush.. just the black car tends to heat alot.. and i dont think i need a replacement car since car is very well fine.. took her to Amby Valley yesterday and i didnot find any fault as such.. just going time when i stopped on expressway drving @ 60-70kmph and when i stopped there were those Kumhos smeelling badly.. but coming time @ 80Kmph they didnot smell at all probably the tyres have got run in..

Quote:
mods till all issues are resolved
Issues resolved as of now..

Quote:
Don't touch the steering wheel till you read Manual cover to cover, you might wish to borrow it from other Optra owners till you get your own
Yeah have read whole manual not once but twice.. also i had driven optra more then 100km on test drive before i finalised on her..

Quote:
All the best and congratulations once again
Thanx

Quote:
what to look out for while buying a new car
Well was aware but then soughting out more important issues i forgot about the first aid kit and the bulbs..

Quote:
u will find the deawoo embelm...( that' what an ex-employee od daewoo told me...correct me if i am wrong)...
Nah i could not find.. only the 1.8 engine is a D-tech engine..

Quote:
and most importantly..PLZ tell us the name of the dealer....we should keep a record of black listed dealers in all cities.....
By far this is the best dealer of Chevvy in Mumbai. Others were given me the car by changing 14innchers to 15 themselves. But i have got the one with the suspension altered so that the Odo os not affected..

Quote:
Always test drive your car before you drive away from the showroom
Vipers were working fine but later @ 9 they switched on..

Quote:
he give you a defective car
Nah.. i dont think so.. and nor do i hope so.. saw the invoice of the car.. it has been made on 31st May and came here on 4th from Halol and then i waited for 6 days for taking her delivery..

Thanx people but i guess you have taken these small matters very seriously..
Old 12th June 2005, 14:05   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well Rudra Sir i have been told that i would be getting the bulbs and the first aid kit at first service
That's the dumbest thing i've ever heard. No manual, no bulbs and no first aid kit?

If i was you, i'd tell him that i'd pay 80% of the amount now and the remaining 20% after the first service (Either that or you give me the stuff right now).

Quote:
and also since the sales managers wife is in hospital and he is roaming with his small kid all over the showroom i didnot bother to trouble him much..
Dude, when a salesman comes to work at a showrom, the customer should get first priority. Kid or not, he's there to take care of your worries.

Quote:
Thanx people but i guess you have taken these small matters very seriously..
You're missing the point. A brand new car is not supposed to have these small problems in the first place. Once you leave the showroom, you shouldn't feel the need to get your car back until the first scheduled service.

Consider yourself lucky that you were just 25kms away from the showroom and not 200kms (like in my uncle's case).

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 12th June 2005 at 14:08.
Old 12th June 2005, 14:13   #24
BANNED

Hey Shan,

Well i agree all that small things should not have occured but then happened so happened and its a lesson for me.

Ok here is a small review of the car after driving it till amby valley yesterday..

1) Ride - Isnot as great as the 14 inchers but still quite good..

2) Handling is very good though i have not handled her more then 80kmph so cant comment much on that..

3) Peformance - Is good and i didnot feel the need to downshft often and put in 1st while taking steep incline going towards amby valley

4) FE - Around 9.5 currently though the car has not runned in so expecting it to improve..

5) Brakes are good but once the pedal vibrated under braking

6) Tyres - YUK i hate those Kumhos.. but they are just working fine.. though a but noisy.. some times..
Old 12th June 2005, 14:31   #25
Senior - BHPian

Montoya, you still havent given us the name of the dealer.. any specific reasons.??..
Old 12th June 2005, 14:43   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montoya

5) Brakes are good but once the pedal vibrated under braking
Pulsating pedal is due to ABS.

Quote:
6) Tyres - YUK i hate those Kumhos.. but they are just working fine.. though a but noisy.. some times..
Dude, you just spent 12+ Lakhs on a car, least you could have done is upgraded the tyres. I'm sure we both agree Kumho can never really match up to standards set by any of the reputed brands. They are compromised on quality for price.

Just curious how much were you charged for the 15 inch alloys and tyres? Also what is the tyre specs on the Optra for 15 inchers?
Old 12th June 2005, 15:04   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
if you hate the tyres that much just get them changed
Old 12th June 2005, 18:16   #28
BANNED

Quote:
Montoya, you still havent given us the name of the dealer.. any specific reasons.??..
As i am really satisified with the dealer and service as well as i feel this is the best dealer in Mumbai after speaking to the others i dont want people to blacklist it for no reasons..

Quote:
Just curious how much were you charged for the 15 inch alloys and tyres? Also what is the tyre specs on the Optra for 15 inchers?
Well ported head i am planing to go for a tyre change soon and so i am just looking at the options since the dealer told me that only goodyear eagle NCTS and Kumhos are succesful in tubeless but i dont feel so i feel Bridgestone GIIIs are the best..

The tyre specs are 195/55/R15 The tyres are complany fitted with alterations in suspesion and chassy for not affecting odo.. dealer charged 18K for them tyre and alloy(12 spoke)

Quote:
if you hate the tyres that much just get them changed
Yup planing to..
Old 12th June 2005, 22:31   #29
BHPian

Quote:
As i am really satisified with the dealer and service as well as i feel this is the best dealer in Mumbai after speaking to the others i dont want people to blacklist it for no reasons..
Are you kidding pal? With all those problems on your car, you say that you are satisfied with the dealer. And to top that you rate this as the best dealer around in Mumbai. Can you please let us know why do you feel so?
Old 12th June 2005, 23:01   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Montoya,

well u can speak up on the dealer name if you feel hes th best ! there is no rule you can only state the dealer if he is bad !
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks