Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2011, 10:26   #241
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rocket Hatch - Dark Grey GETZ CRDI. EDIT: 1 yr, 15k kms + report.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
That is one more question on my mind - does the timing chain need replacement? The manual reads timing belt, which I know needs periodic replacement - does the same apply for the chain? At what intervals?
As per manual - @ 80k kms - Timing chain has to be changed.
Fyi - Swift used to come with timing belt and 80k change interval. Later they changed to timing chain and now the interval is 100k.

Cost of Timing chain replacement for Getz CRDi
Chain + Tensioner + Lever + guide = 10k
labour - 2k

If gears/ pulleys are replaced then total would be around 35k.
Old 3rd March 2011, 11:15   #242
BHPian

Hey,
I got the timing chain replaced. The details are there in my thread check it out.

Regards
Old 3rd March 2011, 11:38   #243
BHPian

Shyam - Glad to know that you do update your thread

An update-: I had put in a mail to Hyundai asking for why the diesel filter replacement labour was charged extra and why the injector spray had to be used. I got a call from the dealer saying that this was a mistake and I shall be refunded those charges asap.

Now, this is good from Hyundai's part. BUT the question is... are the dealers trying to rip off customers? If I hadn't questioned their charges and had blindly paid the bill, I would have been overcharged by around rs 1200/- (800/- of which was taken off from bill yesterday). This for a simple service. What would be the case when I go in for any major service?

Let this be a warning for every Hyundai customer. CHECK THE BILL CAREFULLY BEFORE PAYING!!!

I just spoke to a colleague and came to know he pays more than Rs 3500/- for every service of his Santro, whereas my Zen in 4 yrs with me never saw a service bill more than Rs 2000/-.

I feel that Hyundai will very shortly get a reputation of being an expensive to own car.
Old 3rd March 2011, 14:15   #244
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish3 View Post
SLet this be a warning for every Hyundai customer. CHECK THE BILL CAREFULLY BEFORE PAYING!!!
As a rule of thumb, all of us (not just BHPians) need to know what needs to be done at a specific service, and what are the optionals that every other SA will throw in to extract more moolah out of you - as a rule book, I would say follow what is said in the user manual for each service to the dot. And use your commonsense and read up a bit on stuff like EGR cleaning / Injector cleaning / Throttle body cleaning and all the other stuff they have in their list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
I always have a problem of the service guys bringing in the wrong filter, and then me telling them the right part number. IIRC, the wrong part number was 263202A500, which would be longer and thinner in radius than the right one (263202A001). Apparently there are two oil filter designs for this engine. And what is interesting is, Krish's oil filter is actually cheaper, while the rest is costlier than Chennai (what is the part number?).
Any clue on this oil filter thing I had posted? Can you post the part number of the oil filter you guys use?
Old 3rd March 2011, 21:18   #245
BHPian

The part number for the engine oil filter that was used is 2630035503. Its nowhere close to what you have specified.

I think they put the wrong part in.. or billed it wrong. In the last service, the part number was 263202A002 and it was charged 325.26.

Its hard for a customer to keep remembering the part numbers and ensure they do it right. Have to question this as well.
Old 3rd March 2011, 21:53   #246
BHPian

Guys I dont think that they will sell these parts to you unless you get it replaced at the service center itself. I remember I tried to ask for an extra part while I was in bangalore (dont remember which filter it was, I think air filter) and they told me that they will not sell parts like that.

@kp - My steering has been weird for almost the entire 2.5 years of ownership. Random vibration, a lack of response, not returning to original position at times after turning and a lot of noise while going over bumps and stuff. They replaced the right side wheel bearing and added an extra bush and replaced the existing faulty one which gave the steering a heavier feel and got rid of the noise over bumps, but I still had vibration in the column.
Recently the oil seal broke and the steering started whining (a problem shyam also had). The broken parts were replaced and the vibration disappeared.
Now a new problem has cropped up. In the evenings when it is cooler, there is a squeaking noise when I turn the steering. It doesnt happen during the day. Also now my left wheel bearing has gone for a toss. The SA at KUN who takes care of phoenix' car and mine is stumped about the constant problems with the steering setup and we have come to an agreement to finally have the entire rack replaced under warranty.
Neither of us are able to explain the noise from the steering or the wheel bearing wearing out like this.

About the chain thing:
He also told me personally the other day during a road test that since its a timing chain we need not change it as per the 80k interval unless there is a lot of noise from the chain, since its a rs. 20k+ job. But like shyam said, we have to decide if its worth taking the risk of postponing it. If something goes wrong and the vehicle is out of warranty there will be hell to pay.

About the bill:
My 40k bill came out to a lot less than usual. They replaced only the oil filter. I provided engine oil from shell as always. They said the other filters did not need replacing this time and just needed thorough cleaning. Instead they charged me for a whole lot of other stuff like the power steering oil, caliper rattling fixing etc etc. The bill was around 3k + 1500 for engine oil.

About the brake pads:
No convincing explanation as to why only one side wore out. Best guess is that the piston was not doing its job properly and my ABS was causing my left side to lock up and wear out that side more.

Last edited by pras.oct25 : 3rd March 2011 at 21:55.
Old 6th March 2011, 22:33   #247
BHPian

Pras - 2 things, if the steering thing was replaced under warranty then they should have not billed you for the power steering fluid. Please check that up.

As for the left side getting worn out sooner - it is common in most cars. I got an explanation i asked about it, but i cant recollect what it is. Will update soon about that.

Regards
Old 11th April 2011, 08:54   #248
BHPian

I've been facing a problem recently. Even in re-circulation mode, outside smells and smoke is getting into the cabin. Feels this hit particularly when I pass through stenchy areas and the smell comes in.

I took my car to the service centre (2 of them) and they say "ITS NORMAL" as if the AC is an automatic one.

Does anyone know if it can be fixed by us and what needs to be done? If it is a DIY, then I dont need to convince those fools at the A.S.S
Old 11th April 2011, 10:01   #249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish3 View Post
I've been facing a problem recently. Even in re-circulation mode, outside smells and smoke is getting into the cabin. Feels this hit particularly when I pass through stenchy areas and the smell comes in.

I took my car to the service centre (2 of them) and they say "ITS NORMAL" as if the AC is an automatic one.

Does anyone know if it can be fixed by us and what needs to be done? If it is a DIY, then I dont need to convince those fools at the A.S.S
You could check on tightening your ventilation lever cable . If you open your glove box, you'll notice that the lever is pressed into a channel to run along. Sometimes, I've noticed that if the cable is not in this channel ( like when one DIY's his filter cleaning and forgets to put it back), then the shutter doesn't close fully. IF its in the channel already, then check if the cable has developed some slack from all the use.
Old 11th April 2011, 10:25   #250
Senior - BHPian

I had the same problem - I disconnected the fresh air / recirculation cable from behind the dashboard and shut the lever to close. Its a lot better now, with stench coming in only mildly. The cable in my ride was not closing the vent completely, hence the problem.
Old 11th April 2011, 11:27   #251
BHPian

Happens in the verna too. Leaves the auto climate control as a useless feature.

The good thing is that the auto controls also take effect when it is on manual by adjusting blower speed depending on the temperature we set.
Old 11th April 2011, 11:56   #252
BHPian

Thanks Guys. I shall check it and update. BTW, I hardly use the fresh air mode, so not sure why this has happened. I also dont understand why the service centre guys are too lazy to work on it, if its so simple a thing to do.
Old 11th April 2011, 20:57   #253
BHPian

Its working partially. The intake of outside air has reduced drastically, but still a wee bit of smell does come in. Will have to check again.

Thanks for your advice guys
Old 24th April 2011, 14:59   #254
BHPian

Hey Krish3,

Followed your thread thoroughly. wondering ownership review.
what would be the apt price for a 08 getz crdi with 30k on the odo in bangalore ? I wish to talk to you. could you give me your contact number. A pm would do.
Old 25th April 2011, 11:29   #255
BHPian

PM'ed you my number. I seriously do not know the resale value of the Getz CRDi, though I personally would love it to be very high .

Will have to check it out.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks