Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2010, 22:56   #61
Senior - BHPian

sorry for the delay in reply buddy. all my scorpios are 7 seaters!!!

guess if you had a 7 seater, they would say "the rattling of seats in a 7 seater is a permanent feature and we cannot do anything about it. The rattling is a lot less less, almost non existent in the 8 seater scorpios"!!! they need an excuse always.
Old 7th June 2010, 15:21   #62
Senior - BHPian

On friday, my oldie broke down when it was stationary in a signal. reason was that the timing kit went kaput & along with it the camshaft broke.

if we rewind back a few posts, the A.S.S had told us that the timing gear needs replacement as soon as possible. we kept postponing it & now as a result, we have to bear huge losses!

the estimated repair cost is Rs. 35,000 which includes the whole timing kit (all the gears & wheels would be replaced with new ones) & a new camshaft & camshaft gear. Along with it, we have also asked for an alternator servicing which will cost around 3k. the kit was not in stock with the A.S.S (as new scorpios come with a belt driven unit) & the kit has been ordered from nashik. hopefully, will get my car back by this weekend.

This is the first time this car broke down on the road & had to be towed to the A.S.S, i wont blame the car or mahindra as the A.S.S had warned me about this well in advance but since we were planning to sell the car, we kept on postponing this thing. now that we are sure that we wont be selling this car, we are donig this as well as a thorough check up of the car's health.
Old 7th June 2010, 15:28   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
On friday, my oldie broke down when it was stationary in a signal. reason was that the timing kit went kaput & along with it the camshaft broke.

if we rewind back a few posts, the A.S.S had told us that the timing gear needs replacement as soon as possible. we kept postponing it & now as a result, we have to bear huge losses!

the estimated repair cost is Rs. 35,000 which includes the whole timing kit (all the gears & wheels would be replaced with new ones) & a new camshaft & camshaft gear. Along with it, we have also asked for an alternator servicing which will cost around 3k. the kit was not in stock with the A.S.S (as new scorpios come with a belt driven unit) & the kit has been ordered from nashik. hopefully, will get my car back by this weekend.

This is the first time this car broke down on the road & had to be towed to the A.S.S, i wont blame the car or mahindra as the A.S.S had warned me about this well in advance but since we were planning to sell the car, we kept on postponing this thing. now that we are sure that we wont be selling this car, we are donig this as well as a thorough check up of the car's health.
Very unfortunate, Raj. I think we just religiously replace main belt (and the pulleys) every 60,000 kms or so, which is my change frequency. Once the ASC changed only the belt, and at 90,000 kms, the pulley bearing seized, but luckily the belt just jumped off and I was saved from any damage.

Do you see the parts situation for the older Scorpios deteriorating? I also am having problems with procuring parts at ASCs.
Old 7th June 2010, 15:47   #64
BHPian

Quote:
@ smats: i feel paint quality of all the scorpios are better than the innova. they have a good gloss & wont get scratched easily.

the cracking you are talking about maybe a defect or a quality issue as i have had no such issues.

comparing the rattling & squeaking, i have had no such issues with my older scorpios, that is the non-CRDe & the CRDe. they are the ultimate in toughness. though my mHawk has been subjected to utmost care & love, this one has its driver's door always squeaking. also, after a certain period, the rear seat starts rattling on rough roads, so it needs tightening.

though i must admit, after my repeated complaints, the A.S.S has replaced all the bolts of the driver's door & now it has stopped squeaking but the rear seat rattling still persists. so on overall toughness, i would rate the mHawk a notch lower than the previous versions.
Raj,
Can't agree with you more!!
Sometime back i asked the A.S.S senior mechanic about upgrading to the M hawk(mine- 2005 sep crde),he quietly told me that my experience of ownership will be less satisfactory and gave me a wry smile!! I stopped drooling over the mhawk since then.

cheers
Old 7th June 2010, 16:48   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Very unfortunate, Raj. I think we just religiously replace main belt (and the pulleys) every 60,000 kms or so, which is my change frequency. Once the ASC changed only the belt, and at 90,000 kms, the pulley bearing seized, but luckily the belt just jumped off and I was saved from any damage.

Do you see the parts situation for the older Scorpios deteriorating? I also am having problems with procuring parts at ASCs.
luckily, in my case, i have got all the parts on time till now. so no issues as far as sourcing parts are concerned.
Old 17th June 2010, 10:44   #66
BHPian

Raj,

Any updates on this ?, Did u get your car back ? please post your experience.
Old 17th June 2010, 13:00   #67
Senior - BHPian

Sadly some of the parts have not arrived yet. they are saying that two wheels are yet to come from nashik. also, 4 other scorpios are also waiting the same parts in that A.S.S, so this is a common problem.

Expected Bill: Rs. 35,000/-
Old 30th June 2010, 10:16   #68
Senior - BHPian

the problem i had mentioned in post # 62 has not been solved as yet. As i had mentioned here-

Quote:
luckily, in my case, i have got all the parts on time till now. so no issues as far as sourcing parts are concerned.
looks as if my luck has run out! for the first time, i had to wait for this reason!

I gave my car to the A.S.S on 4th July & it been 26 days now & my car is still at the A.S.S.! whenever i called, they would say that the parts have not arrived. i was also going easy as i am in mumbai & the car is in kerela. today i called them to inform them that i am escalating the matter to the higher authorities to which they said that the parts have arrived yesterday evening. they will be delivering the car by tomorrow evening.

according to them, there are 3 more cars with the same complaint.
Old 5th July 2010, 19:58   #69
Senior - BHPian

the car is ready & the bill amounts to 29k. but the A.S.S also mentions of a fault in the alternator. since we are in no mood to repeat our earlier mistake (of ignoring the A.S.S), we give them a go ahead sign to repair the alternator too. the SA told me that the alternator will be directly sent to the Bosch authorized service centre & serviced & that it will cost around 5k. a day later, i get a call from the SA that the amount will be 6.5k as an oil seal has to be replaced. i ask them the price of a new one & they say it 8k. so i told them to install a new alternator.

so the new alternator will be fitted & i will be getting the car in 2-3 days. bill amount will be close to 38k!!!
Old 5th July 2010, 20:22   #70
Senior - BHPian

Good to know Rajiv,and i guess,she would be back in form,and i guess ready for another 1L kms
Old 5th July 2010, 20:42   #71
Senior - BHPian

actually akshay, we are contemplating on trading in this scorpio for a xylo. though i like the scorpio more than the xylo, having a new car has its own advantages! better performance, lesser maintainence, better FE & better feel. it all depends on how well the scorpio performs after he returns.
Old 13th August 2010, 17:34   #72
Senior - BHPian

After the timing belt change, my oldie has become like new. She has become very silent now & still has a strong pull when you floor the throttle!

no other issues like rattling or noises from anywhere.

Some pics of my oldie-
Attached Thumbnails
1.8 lakh kms with Scorpio GLX!-dsc_0394.jpg  

1.8 lakh kms with Scorpio GLX!-dsc_0395.jpg  

1.8 lakh kms with Scorpio GLX!-dsc_0396.jpg  

1.8 lakh kms with Scorpio GLX!-dsc_0397.jpg  

Old 13th August 2010, 18:41   #73
Senior - BHPian

@raj:

The model that you have (whatever I could'nt remember the name) is indeed the best reliable Scorpio ever produced by Mahindra. My friend who runs a Taxi business has 3 Scorpios 2003 model running and all have clocked some 3L kms without any overhauls. That's great for any Indian vehicle. And the only version of Scorpio I liked the most is the one you own, now (in pics above). I loved everything about that car, a VFM vehicle just missing a 4wd.

Last edited by mercedised : 13th August 2010 at 18:42.
Old 13th August 2010, 22:30   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
@raj:

The model that you have (whatever I could'nt remember the name) is indeed the best reliable Scorpio ever produced by Mahindra. My friend who runs a Taxi business has 3 Scorpios 2003 model running and all have clocked some 3L kms without any overhauls. That's great for any Indian vehicle. And the only version of Scorpio I liked the most is the one you own, now (in pics above). I loved everything about that car, a VFM vehicle just missing a 4wd.
I totally agree. As i have stated in this thread, this vehicle is abused a lot, even now. but the engine is still going strong, the clutch is smooth, the suspension is silent. i am yet to hear any rattles or squeaks from anywhere. the AC chills & the gearbox is smooth.

i can vouch for this car's build quality. i doubt any car would be still so "unbeatable" after so much abuse.
Old 14th August 2010, 07:46   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
it all depends on how well the scorpio performs after he returns.
Quote:
She has become very silent now !
"He" has become a "She" after the return .

A typo, I am sure

Congrats on the renewed Scorp !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks