Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2013, 01:38   #61
BHPian

Re: Ownership Report -- Ford Fiesta 1.4 TDCi : Update, 5 years & 1,00,000kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
How much did that change of discs and pads cost you? Wouldn't skimming of the discs have done the job?

I am asking because even I am feeling slight vibration while braking, and my car has done only 41000 kms. I remember reading in Suman's thread about disc skimming.
Dear vnabhi sir,

Getting the disc skimmed will solve the problem IF the vibrations are due to discs. Only one thing has to be ensured, the discs after skimming should remain within their manufacturer specified limits of thickness. Generally, most manufacturers specify that the difference between max and min disc thickness should be 2 mm. So, as long as your disc remains above or at min. thickness level, you are fine to go.

Hope this helps,

Thanks,
Simple_car
Simple_car is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2013, 14:15   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unni.ak View Post
Just wanted to know the approximate cost, so this should do. Since I have completed a lac, I'm sure clutch replacement is something that will come up sooner than later. I was referring to the pad and not the disc in itself. I have changed the discs once around 50000kms,along with pads since there was a slight vibration on the steering when braking. This was diagnosed as a disc problem.

Don't take the trouble to get a duplicate bill. The approx cost you gave is good enough.
I have changed the pads somewhere around 15 K KM back and it was around 1200 per set. (Inclusive of labour, just now could able to see that it was there in this thread as well, the price of brake pad (for both wheels ) set is 1068)

Quote:
How much did that change of discs and pads cost you? Wouldn't skimming of the discs have done the job?

I am asking because even I am feeling slight vibration while braking, and my car has done only 41000 kms. I remember reading in Suman's thread about disc skimming.
Skimming will be possible only if your wearing is uneven and you have enough thickness on the disc. In my case, my disc has worned out almost. And there is no vibration ...(Means there is no uneven wear and tear)

Last edited by anumod : 5th August 2013 at 14:18. Reason: Added the break up for break pad replacement
anumod is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2013, 14:38   #63
BHPian

Quote:

The change was done at 41800kms:

Parts
1. Brake Rotter (2) - Rs2499
2. Brake Pad (2) - Rs1068

Labor
1. Brake Pad Renewal - Rs294
2. Rotter Renewal - Rs294

Skimming the disc should help, but, I opted for a change. Also, at that time, the car was being prepped for the GQ drive and didn't want to leave anything on the way!
unni.ak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2013, 21:16   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unni.ak View Post
The change was done at 41800kms:

Parts
1. Brake Rotter (2) - Rs2499
2. Brake Pad (2) - Rs1068

Labor
1. Brake Pad Renewal - Rs294
2. Rotter Renewal - Rs294

Skimming the disc should help, but, I opted for a change. Also, at that time, the car was being prepped for the GQ drive and didn't want to leave anything on the way!
The break pad prices are exactly same in HYD and BGLR. Does that mean that state sales taxes are exactly same?
Old 6th August 2013, 08:35   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anumod View Post
The break pad prices are exactly same in HYD and BGLR. Does that mean that state sales taxes are exactly same?
I really wouldnt know.
Old 14th September 2013, 18:01   #66
BHPian

Have done a recent trip to OOty and the travelogue published here.. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...n-plateau.html
Old 20th July 2014, 00:24   #67
BHPian

Hi anumod, I recently purchased a Ford Classic and while going through the long-term ownership reviews (with an aim to get some tips to maintain the new car in good shape), I found your's and unni.ak's the most promising ones. But both these threads have been inactive for almost a year.

New users like me would benefit a lot if you could find some time to keep us updated about the condition of your ride.
Old 20th July 2014, 23:20   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiGOD View Post
Hi anumod, I recently purchased a Ford Classic and while going through the long-term ownership reviews (with an aim to get some tips to maintain the new car in good shape), I found your's and unni.ak's the most promising ones. But both these threads have been inactive for almost a year.

New users like me would benefit a lot if you could find some time to keep us updated about the condition of your ride.
HI,

I am planning to give my car for 72 month's service tomorrow. Will post the update after that
anumod is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2014, 23:46   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anumod View Post
I am planning to give my car for 72 month's service tomorrow. Will post the update after that
Glad to hear that, really looking forward to it
Old 24th July 2014, 22:05   #70
BHPian

Have done the 72 months service and there was only one major replacement. That is Gear box mount. It developed a small crack. It costed around 6 K (Including labour). The other one was a small diesel leak near the injector area. They had to remove the engine cover and injector area. It happened because of dust in that area and this involved a 1500 labour charge. The total bill was around ~9000.
Old 25th July 2014, 05:42   #71
Team-BHP Support

Looks like both yours and Unni's Fiestas have aged well. Unni seems to be quite content with it, the last time i checked.
Old 12th August 2014, 11:05   #72
BHPian

Anumod,
I had just put up a post in Unni's thread yesterday, which I'm copy-pasting here, in the hope of getting your experience with the suspension too.

Having purchased a Classic Tit diesel 6 months ago I went through this thread hoping to find some mention of the hard suspension I am experiencing in my car. You have not referred to it at all. So that got me wondering if the suspension in your vehicle is different in any way from mine. Please describe to me how your car behaves when she goes over joints on a flyover or speedbreakers. Mine does with a sharp thud, as if the suspension is non-existent. Over speedbreakers, at little more than crawling speed it feels like something at the mounting points drops and then hits back with a bang. I have had the suspension and struts checked while still new and was told that there is no problem, that the suspension is like this for all Classics. I had taken up this issue with Ford and have been told the same thing. Then someone else told me that this is the case with all European designed cars (and that even though Ford is an American brand, this model has been designed in Europe. Don't know how accurate this bit of info is, though). Let me know if you face the same issue.
If this is so then I think it's a shame. I love the way the car pulls from a signal and its extremely responsive engine but it will all come to nought if I get a slipped disc on our notorious Mumbai roads.

Unquote

Your thoughts on this would be appreciated.
Cheers
Old 17th August 2014, 12:04   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarPatel View Post
Anumod,
I had just put up a post in Unni's thread yesterday, which I'm copy-pasting here, in the hope of getting your experience with the suspension too.

Having purchased a Classic Tit diesel 6 months ago I went through this thread hoping to find some mention of the hard suspension I am experiencing in my car. You have not referred to it at all. So that got me wondering if the suspension in your vehicle is different in any way from mine. Please describe to me how your car behaves when she goes over joints on a flyover or speedbreakers. Mine does with a sharp thud, as if the suspension is non-existent. Over speedbreakers, at little more than crawling speed it feels like something at the mounting points drops and then hits back with a bang. I have had the suspension and struts checked while still new and was told that there is no problem, that the suspension is like this for all Classics. I had taken up this issue with Ford and have been told the same thing. Then someone else told me that this is the case with all European designed cars (and that even though Ford is an American brand, this model has been designed in Europe. Don't know how accurate this bit of info is, though). Let me know if you face the same issue.
If this is so then I think it's a shame. I love the way the car pulls from a signal and its extremely responsive engine but it will all come to nought if I get a slipped disc on our notorious Mumbai roads.

Unquote

Your thoughts on this would be appreciated.
Cheers
All ford cars suspension are stiffer. they are tuned for higher speed and to give better handling. So you may not get the soft suspension of Koreans and Japanese. Infact the Suspension of EcoSport is stiffer than Classic. But New Fiesta's suspension is little softer, but not as softer that of City or Verna. I feel this is price we are paying for the better handling we are getting in higher speeds.
anumod is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks