Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2013, 21:32   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: SwiftnFurious' Swift VDi ABS - 20K, 30K, 60K, 80K Service updates on Pg 1, 2, 4 &

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
I guess you have been to many a MASS and other service centers around this area and is in a better position to post a comparison.
I end up, trying to find the BEST for my car!

Quote:
...I then feel that Hyundai service costs are a total rip-off. They told that the 30k service for the i10 usually costs around 8k
I probably would NOT touch a Hyundai in my life time. Toyota is BIG time on my radar due to low service costs!

Quote:
For vehicles outside warranty, it is high time we find alternative service centers who do a good job.
Very difficult. I tried two. Will NEVER EVER go back to them. The workmanship is simply NO match to MA$$ I tried. I don't mind spending a bit more for a better treatment (for the car).

Issues with 2 FNG (Friendly Neighbourhood Garage):

FNG 1. Decent workmanship, but too crowded. Labour rates at par with MA$$ for lower quality work. What's the point?!

FNG 2. Except for the owner (who is also a mechanic), rest of the team didn't even know how to dismantle a Swift bumper! I had my BP high for the entire time those guys were figuring out how to remove it. The owner did it in 5 mins flat!

All the intercooler issues I had, has to be pointed on to low quality work of this 2nd garage they did on the metal frame below the intercooler.

I don't think I am ever going back to an FNG unless

- They match the quality of MA$$
- Terrific feedbacks from multiple reliable sources
&
- Substantially cheaper

I would rather pay higher for a quality job & sleep/drive peacefully than saving some bucks! (BAD side of being a car enthusiast!)

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 23rd January 2013 at 21:41. Reason: Corrections in the post done!
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2013, 21:33   #77
BHPian

Re: SwiftnFurious' Swift VDi ABS - 20K, 30K, 60K, 80K Service updates on Pg 1, 2, 4 &

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Tyre Upgrade:

Another update is that the rear tyres need to be replaced. The rear set lasted a cool 80,000 kms. Am extremely happy. But the new Bridgestones in the front (replaced 15K kms back) has worn out atleast 50% I guess.
Looks like you don't believe in tyre rotation. Personally, as many have suggested on this forum, if possible, you should always change the whole set.
shipnil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2013, 21:37   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
Looks like you don't believe in tyre rotation. Personally, as many have suggested on this forum, if possible, you should always change the whole set.
I do! But due to my driving & not so relegious follow ups, I ended up wearing the front tyres more than the rest. Add to it some Vit M deficiency, I chose to run the rear tyres a bit more.

I will be changing all the 4 tyres this time and doing rotations properly as well (Thankfully, my account is fat right now!). Proper tyre rotation = Better tyre life = better savings!

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 23rd January 2013 at 21:38.
Old 25th January 2013, 23:29   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

Tyre Shopping Stage 1 Update:

Went around a bit for two days to find out the BEST price I can the for the MRF Z.L.Os! (Am a guy who shamelessly spends time to find out the best deal, with respect to anything).

That includes search on alignment / balancing & nitrogen fill too.

The tyre prices as I am told: Profile - 185/70 R14

Apollo Acelere: 4200 per tyre. (Company offer - 1K discount on 4 tyres) Total Cost : 15,800/-

Bridgestone MY 01 / Potenza GIII: 4700 per tyre. Price itself was a turn off (I didn't prefer it as I have GIII now & am kinda pissed off with the uni-directional thing. Road noise too)

MRF Z.L.O:

Shop 1: 4200/- per tyre. When I spend more time convincing I am serious buyer quoting Apollo figures as well, price dropped to 4100/- per tyre. Final price

Shop 2: 4000/- per tyre. Asked for discounts; Told 3850/-. Asked for 3800/- as there is NO alignment done which was agreed to! Total = 15,200/-. Plan to close the dealt @ 15,000/- by returning two bad tyres at the rear.

They had ONLY two tyres available, said they will place order today & get the stuff tomorrow from the factory, in Cochin. Left my number with them.

Yokohama A Drives
: 4200/-. Told the tyres could do 30,000 kms on the roads in my native, was turned off by that. I expect at-least 35-40K kms with proper rotation.

Mounting, Alignment, Balancing & Nitrogen :: 700/- to 800/- for 4 tyres. More or less same everywhere I asked.

Nitrogen filling at Rs. 50/- per tyre (everywhere). Some guys with NO free top up.

Plan to do all expect Nitrogen, with my regular alignment guy (whose Nitrogen machine is under repair now, he said he charges Rs. 20/- for a top up every time per tyre while a close by shop said top up will be free UNLESS I have a flat tyre or so.

So the current plan as follows

1. Go to the tyre shop
2. Buy 4 tyres
3. Mount it there itself with regular air
4. Drive to my regular alignment guy - get balancing / alignment done
5. Take it the next shop & fill nitrogen.

6. Drive home back!

Hope this is fine. Or should I fill Nitrogen before alignment/balancing check? Inputs please!

Last edited by benbsb29 : 27th January 2013 at 10:47. Reason: Extra smiley deleted.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2013, 10:38   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hope this is fine. Or should I fill Nitrogen before alignment/balancing check? Inputs please!
Reading other threads on the forum, I am of the opinion that it is not worth taking the pain to fill nitrogen.
thoma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2013, 10:53   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Reading other threads on the forum, I am of the opinion that it is not worth taking the pain to fill nitrogen.
I always was in 2 minds whether to fill Nitrogen or not. Thought I will give a try with the new tyres. Thanks for the thread - went thru some posts and then this - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post1889085

Plan cancelled!
Old 1st February 2013, 18:57   #82
BHPian

hey swiftnfurious,

Do you feel MGGO is a good option? or is it better to buy a shell spirax s2 or s3 after market?
Old 1st February 2013, 21:58   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4.Cars View Post
hey swiftnfurious,

Do you feel MGGO is a good option? or is it better to buy a shell spirax s2 or s3 after market?
A quick search tells me this is "transmission oil". To be frank, I never bothered to think about it. So far, I have always gone with whatever MA$$ have provided. And everything seems smooth.

My only grouse is with the engine noise THIS time (at 80,000 kms) and have a doubt whether it's to do with the oil used during replacement.
Old 2nd February 2013, 00:09   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

Small Update:

Still NOT happy with the way car is performing. Frankly I have lost my peace of mind over the reliability of the car after the numerous visits to the A$$ and their inability to satisfy my standards w.r.t the car.

The noise levels still are high comparatively, I hear some added noise when I revv hard and go thru the turbo spool. I also hear a whistle sound thru out the revv range.

Today, while driving back from Kottayam, close to my home, I started feeling a drop in power and the car would take a whole lot of time to climb speeds. Stopped the car, revved high to check smoke - cleared positive. That's when I realized my mat was stuck under the accelerator pedal.

Came back home, dropped my parents and went for a quick spin & test the acceleration. Did some really high rpm (4000 to red lining) for 5 - 10 seconds, and the car pulls like a mad bull post 2200 rpm! I felt the tyres could NOT hold to the ground at those rpms.

I had the turbo kicking up at 1800 rpm onwards, not sure why there is a 400 rpm difference now!!

The idle rpm is showing minute variations - slightly above 900 without AC, slightly above 950 with AC. At times, it shows perfect 900 without AC too.

Noticed today morning that my mud flap for rear left was missing. Took the car to a drive and while parking at destination, noticed the wheel cap of the same side also is missing! Had taken the car to Indus last week for wheel stud repair, they might have forgotten to attach it back. Little hope as the repair was for front tyres. I have NOT driven on bad roads after taking from Indus and knowing the wheel caps held well for 4 years thru real BAD roads, I believe it's either flicked or forgotten in the A$$.

Checked for tyre prices once again and except for one shop (3850/- with free alignment / balancing) opposite Mathrubhumi office near Kottayam, no one gave a quote close to what I secured at Kanjirappally (3800/- without alignment / balancing) for MRF Z.L.O

On the way, saw "Club Saturn" accessories centre and paid a quick visit to enquire on tyres. They deal with RD box too. They have some nice designs for alloy wheels as well. Installed Hella twin tones (red) for my car from there. This time I chose for a new location other than the regular behind the navigator fog lamps.

The horns are connected to the two (dog ?) bars once we remove the bumper. I feel this will be a safe place from the water during monsoons.

Cost:

Hella twin tones - Rs. 650/-
Labour - Rs. 50/-
Also managed to get a used wheel cap from them - Rs. 100/-

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 2nd February 2013 at 00:19.
Old 2nd February 2013, 00:12   #85
Team-BHP Support

Umm, the idling RPM in my VDi is 800 & 900 rpm without and with AC respectively.

Why is it higher in yours ?
Old 2nd February 2013, 00:24   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Umm, the idling RPM in my VDi is 800 & 900 rpm without and with AC respectively.

Why is it higher in yours ?
Idle rpm for me was 900 always. Now it's climbed to ~950. I had some issues with intercooler and after the repair, it's showing this way.

I am thinking of the possible issues which could address the rpm issue (though minor) and the engine + turbo noise.

On the other hand, I am told that DDiS starts getting louder after 80K kms. What's your experience?

Edit:: Is the idle rpm for first gen Swift 800 or 900?? AM confused now!

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 2nd February 2013 at 00:27. Reason: Added "Edit" portion
Old 2nd February 2013, 00:28   #87
Team-BHP Support

The engine and the AC compressor definitely does get louder with age.

But the question remains - why 900 ? I am reasonably sure that the correct rpm is 800.
Eddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2013, 20:12   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

The HIGH rpm run yesterday seemed to settle the engine down a bit! Power is almost back (better than yesterday) the way it should be and the engine sound has subsided a bit. Guess the Italian tune up helped. I believe red lining has NOT happened for my car is the last 2 years or so.

Trouble continues!!

Today went to shop the tyres after receiving NO calls for the last one week. Looks like they sold the tyres I placed the order for and next lot is supposed to come on Tuesday! Have taken the number from those guys - will have to actively follow up.

Went for a bumper alignment as well in a FNG. While removing the front bumper, I noticed some fresh oil residue under the intercooler. Tried to ignore the fact, but these are the same guys who repaired my intercooler first and their BEST guy cum owner pointed me to the oil spillage and said the problem is still NOT fixed!

Typed a strong worded mail to Maruti. Going thru refining it to extract max benefits and to avoid harsh wordings but still keeping it strong. The inevitable is finally happening.

Added Swift GTi / Sports bumper to my shopping list. Trying to find out the best deal in Kerala & Bangalore. Will go for it if the prices are justified I guess (~8K max). Hope I do NOT end up selling the car after fixing a whole lot of new stuffs.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 2nd February 2013 at 20:15.
Old 5th February 2013, 21:28   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

Shot a mail to Maruti today explaining the problems & recurring issues on the intercooler front. Am surprised that I did NOT get the auto acknowledgement mail this time. Last time I sent them a mail was atleast 4.5 years back, not sure they have removed this auto acknowledgement mail feature.

Hope they revert soon & I have a proper diagnosis & repair this time.

Isnt Maruti's mail id --> contact@maruti.co.in?? Or is there any specific mail ids to reach the service team? If so, please do PM me, will be of great help.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 5th February 2013 at 21:29.
Old 6th February 2013, 09:44   #90
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Isnt Maruti's mail id --> contact@maruti.co.in?? Or is there any specific mail ids to reach the service team? If so, please do PM me, will be of great help.
I had mailed a complaint few months back. Got an acknowledgement mail as follows the next day.

"At the outset, thankyou for your interest in the Maruti Suzuki website. Your query has been forwarded to the relevant department and they will get back to you at the earliest."

I had mentioned the service center details along with the description of the problem. Maruti head office contacted the concerned dept and the SA who took my car for service called me up and apologized and promised to rectify the problem.

I would suggest you to try again. Also try sending a mail to the service center customer care too.
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks