Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2009, 23:05   #1
BHPian

Indica Vista Quadrajet : An Ownership Log

The first car comes with lot of dreams and expectations. The first car always makes a space in your heart. I am here to write about the very same my first car.

When we(my family) made a decision to buy a car then I was having a criteria that the car would be diesel car.
As I did know that my car will be always on spinning wheels not stationary. It was December 2008 and I was busy in choosing a car. I was having two options in my mind Swift and Vista. After test drive and with teamBHP help I made my decision. Swift was out because I wanted to buy a car for whole family. Here are the points which made my decision

1) Vista was fresh in the market. Look was appealing to me.
2) Space Space Space
3) Better and smooth Suspension
4) point 2 and 3 adds to more comfort
5) Smart Gear Ratio and Peak torque at 1750 rpm are for better drivability.

Finally after long wait I got my car on 29th January 2009 and till date I mean in 11 months I have completed more than 29,000 KMS. Here is my experience.

1) Drive: As I mentioned Smart Gear Ratio and Peak torque at 1750 rpm is really boon for drivability. Third gear in Vista QJD in really heaven. Till 100-110KMPH the car feels faster in acceleration but then speed increase is bit slow but acceptable. High speeds is never thing to worry. Car feels more planted and stable at high speeds. At turns one can feel little nervousness but this is also acceptable.

2) Comfort: This car is designed to offer best in class comfort. Such a huge space that it gives feeling that you are driving a big car. Suspension is really good and quick so that you will not feel road irregularities. Rear seats are class above. Maximum leg room, accurate incline, thigh support makes long journey enjoying and comfortable. Road noise and Engine Noise are on lower side compared to swift. At high speed you hardly hear engine.
Height adjustment, tilting steering, lumbar support helps you find perfect driving position. Wide opening doors makes your ingress and outgress comfortable. Lot of cubby holes help you store lot of items. Huge glove box, under seat tray, huge map pockets on all doors are the need for perfect family car.

Rear 60:40 folding seats, total flat floding seats turn Vista into a big cargo. This space really helps.

3) Maintainance: As you know it is from Tata then small niggles are part of parcel. Poor plastic quality of buttons make this car look cheaper. But anyway if you accept these problems then this car is the best.
Here is my service records.
1) First Service(1000KMS): only checkups and topups, no bill
2) Second Service(5000KMS): only checkups and topups, no bill
3) Third Service(10000KMS): Oil change and other small things. I dont remember bill details.
Other than this there was accident repair. On the very first day a villager in a jeep scratched my left rear door. Huge scratch almost two feet long extended on rear left wheel arc. As that was first day of my car I kept myself calm. Got this scratch repaired in third service. Got claimed it under insurance. Total cost of repair was Rs.6500. I had to pay only Rs.800 rest all was managed by insurance. Repair job was excellent. I cant recognise where the scratch was.

4) Fourth Service(20000KMS): Oil plus Fuel Filter change and other small things. I dont remember bill details.
At this servicing I gave a AC problem to solve. Front demister vents were always leaking air. TASS called Behr Service Guy and they found that Thornapple(or something like that) was stuck on the flap. I couldnot figure out how this rarest thing got there. Anyway the problem is solved and they charged 1000 bucks for dismateling and assembling dashboard. This experince was the part of Bad Service offered by Tata Motors. After that rattling and other things creeped in. Some shouting and complaining helped me to solve this issue. This episode deserves another thread but I dont want to recall this worst part.

Somewhere around 24000 KMS I faced breakdown of my car on the road due to starter failure. Full story can be found at my post located http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post1577173 here.

Apart from this the experience has been great. Even after munching these many miles on my Vista, the car is not showing any sign of aging. Still the feel is like new, the car is getting smoother day by day.

I just want to add a sentence which will say the all. When you buy this car then you will realize importance of comfort in your life. Rest other things like brand and the name Indica, why the hell I was worrying about these things? Really these things fall short in front of comfort and convenience. At the end Vista is serving its purpose. Thanks TATA .
sushantr5 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th December 2009, 01:22   #2
Senior - BHPian

Congrats.. Indica is the KING in space and comfort, can't beat it in that area! A few pics??!
Old 20th December 2009, 10:49   #3
BHPian

Just to add to above - I just got my 10K service done. Cost me 1240/- for regular oil and filter change. Did not go the synthetic way since it was way too expensive.
Old 20th December 2009, 14:23   #4
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushantr5 View Post
Rest other things like brand and the name Indica, why the hell I was worrying about these things? Really these things fall short in front of comfort and convenience. At the end Vista is serving its purpose. Thanks TATA .
Well said!

That is exactly why I do not have a substitute for my Marina!
Old 20th December 2009, 17:17   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Vista is great car, Easily the best family hatchback. Niggles are a part of Tata package.
Old 20th December 2009, 22:16   #6
BHPian

Please have a look at some snaps which I have already posted in tribute to Indica thread.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post1589593
Old 22nd December 2009, 11:09   #7
BHPian

Today I have given my car for fifth service. I confirmed over there that there is retrofitting going on for rear suspension of Vista. Apart from this regular oil and oil filter change.
Old 22nd December 2009, 11:36   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Today I have given my car for fifth service. I confirmed over there that there is retrofitting going on for rear suspension of Vista. Apart from this regular oil and oil filter change.
Can we have more details on this? Are they replacing some defective Suspension component?
Old 22nd December 2009, 15:32   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Can we have more details on this? Are they replacing some defective Suspension component?
I will ask details about this while taking a delivery.
Old 22nd December 2009, 20:20   #10
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have called service advisor at Concorde, hosur road. he denied any such retrofitting. can you clarify with full details
Old 23rd December 2009, 11:58   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkg View Post
I have called service advisor at Concorde, hosur road. he denied any such retrofitting. can you clarify with full details
Today I asked this to Service center, they are changing rear suspension bushings with new modified bushings. I think this is not latest retrofitting.

Now my car is at servicing center. All employees in this servicing center are from my native and my childhood friends so they are doing throughout checking of my car and identifying a problem and rectifying it. In this search they have found that my car's inter-cooler has a leakage that's why turbo is not performing to its capacity. They explained me every details, Vista has a one design fault. Intercooler is located inside front bumper and it has very less ground clearance at this section. There is possibility that bumper scraps at speed breakers and which increases possibility of intercooler damage. Now I think I will have big hole in my pocket if intercooler needs to be changed. They are checking possible damage to turbo too due to intercooler failure. If by chance turbo is also damaged then I am in a soup. But service adviser said that he will try find out real cause of damage, whether it is manufacturing defect or due to damage. He assured me that he will try to save my money.

As Works Manager and workers over there are my friends, I am getting royal treatment for my car, some of these include
1) I lost one wheel cap which I am getting free
2) Tail lamps cluster has water leakage I am getting it replaced under warranty.
3) One front fog lamp has water leakage it is too being replaced under warranty.
4) Headlights have small burns, it is not replaced yet but they will try to fit new ones.
5) Checking every bit and corner to find out any problem.

And these all things I have not mentioned in my job card.

Last edited by sushantr5 : 23rd December 2009 at 12:06.
Old 23rd December 2009, 12:08   #12
BHPian

Sushant,

Nice Review there. Gives confidence to new buyers to consider Vista in their final shortlist before making the decision. Pls do post some pics of the car
Old 31st December 2009, 10:34   #13
Senior - BHPian

Nice review of Quadrajet Vista there sushant.
Old 31st December 2009, 10:43   #14
BANNED

Its hard to beat the Vista or any TATA for that matter when it comes to space. Heck, even the Nano is 30% more spacious than the 800. Quality, the less said about it the better but the fantastic Quadrajet masks all that up by a fair deal.
Enjoy your car and keep updating us.
Old 31st December 2009, 12:14   #15
BHPian

Update on intercooler damage:

Intercooler changed for minimal cost. There is long story(secret mission) behind the scene for getting intercooler which I can not disclose. I am sorry for this. There is lot to say but I am afraid to disclose this. Who knows we might have Tata snipers watching this forum.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks