Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2010, 13:11   #46
BHPian

This is one amazing write up. Should inspire a lot of the sportscars fans here on team-bhp. This truly shows how apprachable the dream really is.

I agree with rajeshsundaram, I can feel the entire drive with the engine roaring in the back.

Thanks for sharing
tatsago is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2010, 17:36   #47

Kudos

are u like a writer or something???? if not... you really need to consider it as an carrier option.. Im sure youll do really well in it.
Kudos man.. excellent job. Hardly every read anything this interesting.clap

Note from Mods : 2 smileys per post max. Also, please try to use punctuation properly. Make sure you take a look at this thread (Expected Posting Etiquette) for details. Thanks.

Last edited by Rehaan : 21st April 2010 at 11:40. Reason: Please see the note that has been put at the end of your post by the Support Team.
sunnysdome is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2010, 17:03   #48
BHPian

WOW

I could feel myself going through the tunnel. Wonderful writeup.

I salute your passion to fulfill your dream.

European autos have ruled and will RULE.
ajay2233 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2010, 16:48   #49
Team-BHP Support

This is by far the best ownership thread on this forum and by a long shot at that. Fantastic pictures, well worded and brilliantly composed. I'm a huge fan of Porsches as well and someday, I'd like to wake up, open my door and look at a beautiful 964 type 911 Turbo/'84 911 Carrera 3.2 S. Even the 993 would do!

You've got a lovely 930-911 there and it's great to know that she's in good hands too. I know that the air-cooled Pokers can give you a lot of trouble but treat her well, and she'll treat you well too!

P.S. SUBSCRIBED!
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2010, 19:46   #50
BHPian

@suhaas,

Thank you for your kind words and appreciation. She's currently in the shop for her engine upgrade, as I mentioned. I've been too busy to push Chris to get her on the road, although she's 98% done. I'll post more pictures as soon as she's on the road. She's a 1971 911T. Even here you rarely see these classics. I think people have really started protecting the remaining ones as their prices have soared recently.

Thanks again. Happy driving.

Cheers.
Old 20th June 2010, 20:16   #51
Senior - BHPian

Great Story VLCOT.

My favourite is the 964 from the early 90s. I'm seriously getting the itch to pick one up.
Mpower is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2010, 14:44   #52
Senior - BHPian

5* for the thread.
Turbos are classics and the rush you get behind the wheel has been captured best by your writeup. I had a cayman S for sometime and now nothing comes close.

Enjoy the beauty. Are you a member of Renntech or 6Speedonline? These forums have some fantastic knowledge about pokers.
Sn1p3r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2010, 15:24   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

If you gave me the cash, I would not go out and spend it on a Porsche --- but some people can tell a story that grips as well as the best wheels, and illustrate it well too.

Fascinating story and really enjoyed your photos too.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2010, 22:07   #54
BHPian

@Thad;

Fortunately, the money I spent on the Porsche has been the best financial investment I've made. The price for these cars have gone through the roof. Sadly, this has also meant that it makes me nervous to put too many fast miles on it now although, I never bought this car as a financial investment. But the money can't be ignored now. Luckily my ducati and solstice keeps my need for speed satiated.

I guess a lot of people have started realizing the original value of a pure sports car with no frills. No electronics, no a/c, just a honking engine, incredible brakes, amazing steering (no power steering) and weighing barely 2000 lbs. You just can't beat it for purity when it comes to performance driving. The new sports cars, porsche and others, have become bloated and thus necessitating huge horsepower to elicit the same kind of driving experience. Even then, with all the fancy electronics, the whole experience has been filtered.
VLOCT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2010, 22:35   #55
BHPian

Sir,

Needless to say this was one of the best write up as mentioned by almost everyone here

But the thing I would like to emphasize is that this is the best thing that could ever happen to any auto enthusiast. A story that you shared with the people who actually understand it is another boon granted I firmly believe.

We all want M3's and Porsche's in our garage, Car enthusiasts in general grow up to believe that money is not everything for them. Of course it has so many other sides to it but generally believe that they have something else to look up to other than be the richest of the lot. A very very good car or good cars thats it. But sadly we cannot go about it that easily.

Seeing your story kills my money saving conscience that constantly arises when Im questioned should i go for a diesel hatch or buy a second hand honda city vtec and unleash hell by modifying it. Or something similar but Im sure you get the point.

I truly will buy a GT-R when or if I ever come across such a salary, but until then it gives me pleasure to read stories from people like you and keep going with this havoc called life
anubhavarya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2010, 22:38   #56
Senior - BHPian

Awesome writeup ! You are the man. Your writeup also help in understanding how to maintain/drive a car/bike.

The link to Chris's isnt working.
Edit: http://www.autobahnextremist.com/ working link.

Last edited by jkdas : 16th September 2010 at 22:41.
jkdas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2010, 00:17   #57
BHPian

Very very inspirational write up. Man I am on a high dose of BHP again, at least for some time ;-)
sindabad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2010, 13:15   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
If you gave me the cash, I would not go out and spend it on a Porsche --- but some people can tell a story that grips as well as the best wheels, and illustrate it well too.
Thad brother I am not sure if you have driven one but with experience I can tell you that you will change your views once behind the wheel. Early 911 were tough to wield but thats what separated the men from boys. I was fortunate to live in Germany for a while and sample few beauties and I can tell you the whole feeling of being in one is awesome. There are bigger and better sports cars but the way Porsche's epitomize the sports car few others can counted in that league.

Porsche are famous for the durability as most other sports cars dont last. Clutch is a very easy example to compare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLOCT View Post
@Thad;

Fortunately, the money I spent on the Porsche has been the best financial investment I've made. The price for these cars have gone through the roof. Sadly, this has also meant that it makes me nervous to put too many fast miles on it now although, I never bought this car as a financial investment.
@VLOCT: You have a classic at hand and no one lets go of it. So dont worry about money, its not wasting your time on, you wont part with it.

I understand that its not your daily drive and you have others to fill the thrill trip but the insatiable feeling of riding the turbo cant be compared. The torque monster is something to die for. I remember swapping my Cayman S with his Turbo on Autobahn and believe me the way monster takes to straight line was an exhilarating, however I always feel Cayman is better on curves than 911 with all its trickery.

Now I am saving and waiting for my tryst with one in India, Dante's thread gave me confidence to have one in India but still my left brain does not agree.

Keep raking in the smile miles
Old 17th September 2010, 14:30   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r View Post
Thad brother I am not sure if you have driven one but with experience I can tell you that you will change your views once behind the wheel.
What I meant to say was that I am not interested in that sort of car or that sort of driving, and that, despite that, I found VLOCT's story gripping. I'm not a sports car person. Of course, I realise that Porsche do now cater for non-sports car people, and, in the unlikely event of my getting rich ...

My silly-money absurd-performance car would be something like a Bentley! Even when I only want to drive at 40, I prefer not to spend all day getting to 40!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2010, 15:14   #60
Senior - BHPian

Bro the point very well appreciated. I am of the thought to buy a Ghost for daily drive and a liter monster for the thrills, even though Ghost wont disappoint either

Once I started came back to India, the story of life changes. I don't even see a point in M3 on roads here. I am desperately looking for a nice go kart ring near Gurgaon. Maybe weekend trips to Greater Noida (F1) circuit. VLOCT is fortunate to have the twisties at just a throw away distance. We in Delhi/Gurgaon can only dream on.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks