Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2011, 09:59   #121
BHPian

re: My new 2.0L CR TDi Jetta Comfortline - 75,000 km *UPDATE*

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
What you have is probably better, since in that automatic mode it switches to fresh air after 10 mins, and you have to keep putting it back on to recirc again.
Precisely why there are 2 LEDs to the switch.

Press once (left LED is supposed to light up) - its in manual mode
Press twice (rt LED is supposed to light up) - its in auto mode. This is where it will switch back to fresh air in 10 mins.
Press thrice (no LED) - fresh air

I am missing all of that . Question is are all of us?

Last edited by aghosht : 27th June 2011 at 10:00. Reason: spell check
Old 27th June 2011, 12:18   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aghosht View Post
Great. Didnt know there was a way to adjust it. How does one do that? As of now on engaging reverse the OVRM first moves sidesways and then moves downward. Previously (i.e. before the "technician" did his job it used to tilt down w/o moving sideways.
>>>

aghosht,

The knob (cylindrical) has an axis along its length, right? If you twist the knob, the mirror will move, that is to say if you pull the knob toward the left door, the mirror will move outward, if you twist it toward the right door the mirror will move inwards, ditto for top and bottom ( consider the knob top as E-W-N-S). You fiddle with it-easier to do than describing it in English here.

Regards, drive safe
Old 27th June 2011, 12:34   #123
BHPian

Oops! Perhaps I didnt describe my question right.

Thankfully one of the TD person did show me that one could work it like a joystick - so thats something I could manage to do. What I couldnt understand was if there was a way to program it so that on engaging the reverse it is :
1. "restricted" to tilt down ONLY to a certain extent; and
2. "restricted" to move in only one plane (rather than outward and then downward)
Old 27th June 2011, 14:14   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What I couldnt understand was if there was a way to program it so that on engaging the reverse it is :
Engaging the reverse will move the mirror slightly towards the left and downwards. The amount of movement is not programmable atleast with the availale options in the car. Not sure if we can do something with the software.
Old 27th June 2011, 16:26   #125
BHPian

Thanks for confirming. Somehow I thought it moved in one plane before the VW guy fiddled with it - maybe I am wrong. As for the s/w programing stuff - no way I would let anyone touch that
Old 27th June 2011, 16:31   #126
BHPian

>>>
aghosht,

It is not programmable, the mirror tilts based on the joystick position. Simple is best.
Enjoy the Jetta for its chassis and its high speed stability, not for its gizmos.

[Personally, I'd rather have a vehicle with a well sorted chassis, great engine and transmission and brakes, of course rather than fancy software and music systems]

Regards, drive safe
Old 27th June 2011, 17:11   #127
Distinguished - BHPian

Deepakchan, an excellent ownership review and I read it all in one session! I absolutely loved the Jetta when my wife and I had gone down to the VW Downtown showroom in Prabhadevi to ask about the Vento back in August. But it was way out of budget so settled for an AT Vento. Sometimes I wonder if I should have moved up a segment, but in the end I think I will settle for my next one being in the D segment (with all the moolah I saved)!

Nice to know that your services are costing around 10K each. That's what I have budgeted annually for the Vento.
Old 28th June 2011, 16:52   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis View Post
[Personally, I'd rather have a vehicle with a well sorted chassis, great engine and transmission and brakes, of course rather than fancy software and music systems]
Same here issigonis. Its just that given a chance I would want "everything" to work like it was supposed to and not let some nincompoop technician at the dealer's spoil it.
Old 28th June 2011, 17:07   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aghosht View Post
Same here issigonis. Its just that given a chance I would want "everything" to work like it was supposed to and not let some nincompoop technician at the dealer's spoil it.
>>>

Completely agree.
Your use of a colourful and slightly old fashioned synonym for berk/dunderhead/dolt/dingleberry has got me smiling.

How I wish we had more evocative writing in our forums, sorry fora.

Regards, drive safe
Old 3rd July 2011, 08:46   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Engaging the reverse will move the mirror slightly towards the left and downwards. The amount of movement is not programmable atleast with the availale options in the car. Not sure if we can do something with the software.
Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis View Post
It is not programmable, the mirror tilts based on the joystick position.
I knew it had to be Click here for details. Haven't tried it yet (and cant wait to try it out!). If you go through the entire thread it is clear that the dealers all throughout the globe EXCELL in dishing out mumbo-jumbo when they cant put their finger on the problem. Can you imagine some of them have said that the feature is available only if one has the Satnav...some other guy has mentioned it comes only with factory fitted parking sensors
Old 3rd July 2011, 23:03   #131
BHPian

Tried it out. Works like a charm - setting is as under:

0. Set MFD so that reverse mirror option is ticked
1. Start engine
2. Keep knob pointed to 'L'
3. Engage reverse gear - mirror should move if setting was done before
4. If adjustment required then do so manually - this will be the final position where you want the mirror to be
5. Bring back to neutral gear
6. Once set, the mirror will move to the final position set in 4. above each time reverse is engaged.
7. Will move back to normal position once the car reaches speed of 15 kmph.
aghosht is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2011, 10:25   #132
Senior - BHPian

That is a good find. Aghosht, please post a write up on your experience with Jetta. Will help all the Jetta and some Laura owners as well as both the cars share almost everything. Looking forward for some pictures and a write up.
Old 4th July 2011, 10:36   #133
BHPian

I sure will. Its just that most of the times I am chauffeur driven - look forward to Sundays and some of the Saturdays
Old 3rd August 2011, 12:08   #134
BHPian

Its been quite a while since I posted an update and I think its the right time now. I had posted good reviews about the 2nd service at 30,000km in spite of the temporary setup that abra motors is struggling with. After a few days from the service, I experienced some new problems in the car such as rattling noise around the music system, rattling noise around the driver's head area, suspension thud noise from the driver's side strut, and clutch a little harder than usual causing pain in the left leg if driven for more than 2 hours.

I had called up the service center and they asked me to bring the car. I said I cannot as it is very far and I have to spend half a day just to drop and take back the vehicle. They said they offer pick up and drop for Rs.300. I said I am not paying any charges as I have serviced the vehicle only few days back. After a few bricks and bats over the phone, they agreed to have the vehicle picked up at their cost. They had the vehicle for 3 days and returned it to me during which my guess is they did nothing. Two days after I got back the vehicle after this incident, the rattling noises popped up again and the suspension thud noise was still there.

I called up the service station and persisted to speak to a manager. The service advisor never picked up my call and all my interaction was with the driver co-ordinator who sent a driver the last time my vehicle was picked up. He finally got the CRM to speak to me to whom I narrated the whole problem and got my vehicle picked up again. 2 days later the service advisor called and said some suspension bearing needs to be replaced and along with that the strut also will be replaced under warranty. I thought ok good. 3rd day he calls me up and says the warranty they had applied for the strut has been rejected and so I have to pay up. I said why the heck did you commit warranty before even getting the approval. He was just non-apologetic and insisted I pay up. I insisted that you just replace the bearing and put the old strut itself and send me the vehicle. I shall take up the issue later differently. It was done and I was sent the vehicle the 4th day. I took a test ride with the mechanic who came along in a breakdown vehicle. The thud noise had disappeared but the rattling noises were still there. I had mentioned in the satisfaction form that the rattling noises were still there.

But there has been no call whatsoever from abra motors about the rattling noise at all. I just left it as it is a minor issue compared to the other problems I had such as clutch hard and suspension noise. The odo stands at 37,777 and the engine oil level is already at the minimum mark. I think I should top up some 5W40 Castrol synthetic which is what they use at the workshop. Is any one else also facing this oil issue every 7500km?
Old 3rd August 2011, 13:35   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think I should top up some 5W40 Castrol synthetic which is what they use at the workshop. Is any one else also facing this oil issue every 7500km?
The engine does take up some oil and i havent faced it for 1 i am yet to hit the 7500 mark, 2 i replenished my car two months back when i took it for a coolant addition as it was very low when the car came to me.

Why dont you give a try at Sundaram? Me and my friend are feeling Sundaram is putting a little thought into customer satisfaction.

Where are you put up. I would like to check what rattling noise you are getting. I am hearing a slightly different CD movement kind of a sound if i listen carefully while taking a speed breaker.

I work out of Tambaram and stay near Tambaram, so if you happen to be around here we can meet up to see what that rattling noise is.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks