Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2010, 11:41   #91
Senior - BHPian

@Siddutta- Nooo!! Linea owners have not reported any mechanical or electrical issue so far, touchwood. "Car height going down" has never been reported.

Driver seat height going down automatically used to be a niggle in early Lineas but most of these niggles have been rectified since 2010.
Most of the niggles have been taken care of as per the reviews (chrome falling, seat height, falling plastic cover of fuse box etc).

@Urban Nomad- Good write up. Wishing you happy ownership experience and delightful ownership journey with your Italian beauty.

@EARTHed- Nice update. So, finally the date is decided. Congrats.
Old 10th December 2010, 16:50   #92
An1
BHPian

Re: Linea 1.4 (E+) - 1 year ownership review

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddutta View Post
Good and honest review. to sum it up, Linea is a superb car with niggling mechanical issues ( say, the car height going down) and below average A.S.S. . last week it went on a south india trip. hardly saw any lineas in the smaller towns and highways. however there are many Lineas in Bangalore. I am very inclind to buy a Tjet. lets see.
It is a superb car for sure, but I would disagree with the niggling issues part. Maybe few of the older models may have had issues, my recently bought Linea MJD (Aug 2010) has given no such issues at all. Touchwood.
(Except just once the rear light stopped working, but next morning it was fine/ Rear door handle was hard, but after a few days operation, seemed perfectly fine).

It's been over 7000 km of pure bliss driving this car. & I Smile everytime I come out of my office and see it parked there waiting for me to take her home.

Working with a Management Consulting co., we get many foreign clients, and unfailingly they have commented on the car.. "What an Exotic car / Seems like a very expensive car / Is it Imported?". (Not too many Linea's around do help)
Old 7th March 2011, 14:59   #93
Senior - BHPian

Latest update on FE.

12.32 kmpl - Tank full to Tank full
13.1 - as per MID

This is 80% city, 20% highway-ish driving, AC on for 75% of the time.

This is not too bad. Having moved back to delhi, I was expecting the FE to drop to around 10, thanks to NCR's chaotic traffic. I am pleasently surprised that it didn't.
Old 12th March 2011, 22:19   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddutta View Post
Good and honest review. to sum it up, Linea is a superb car with niggling mechanical issues ( say, the car height going down) and below average A.S.S. . last week it went on a south india trip. hardly saw any lineas in the smaller towns and highways. however there are many Lineas in Bangalore. I am very inclind to buy a Tjet. lets see.

I agree - I drove to a place a couple of hours beyond Nainital and people there I know had never seen a Linea. The T-Jet is the best choice amongst segment cars. But buy it only if you can make several visits to the workshop for niggling problems and if you have the patience to deal with and push the staff to get your work done. And of course, if you love a good drive and handling!
Old 25th March 2011, 14:12   #95
Senior - BHPian

Another FE update:

11.95 kmpl - Tank full to Tank full
12.50 - as per MID

This is 80% city, 20% highway-ish driving, AC on for 90% of the time.
Old 7th April 2011, 14:40   #96
Senior - BHPian

FE update:

12.33 kmpl - Tank full to tank full
13.20 kmpl - as per MID

This is 75% city,25% highway-ish driving with AC on for 80% of the time.
Old 7th April 2011, 19:03   #97
BHPian

Urban Nomad- Awesome writeup and I read it word by word, page by page by hiding my laptop screen from my boss sitting behind. I am not workiing for past 2 hours, just reading this thread.

The niggling issues in Linea are still there, and certainly nothing is perfect. Remember lady good in bedis bad in kitchen(Linea) and vice versa(ANHC).

Your FE is great I must say, considering my TJet best FE in city is 10 kmpl (remember that is best, worst is 8 kmpl LOL!.).

Seeing you A$$ experience I am holding my breadth since I have to give my car for first "FREE" service tomorrow. Unfortunately there are some fixes to be made, fingers crossed I dont want new ones to be cropped(or induced) post service.

Last edited by Speed Pujari : 7th April 2011 at 19:04.
Speed Pujari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2011, 19:58   #98
Senior - BHPian

^^ Thank you for your kind words Speed and congrats on acquiring the T-Jet. I test drove one recently and its a hoot to drive. The mad dash that engine makes at the slightest touch of the accelerator is just brilliant. And I liked the fact that the turbo spool up was linear, not as pronounced as in Swift (D).

About FE - well, mine is a mix in highway and city and I do drive kinda conservatievly.

A$$ - Donno how things are in Bangy. Do check with Linea owners in your city as to how the service experience was. That said, going through some of the posts about the Fiat service, things are not as good as they can / should be. Mostly, its the attitude of the service waalas to be blamed. Example - My car was not washed properly even ONCE out of the 3 free services I have undertaken. Ridiculous.

I have recently moved back to Delhi and am not very hopeful that things would be any different here. I would love to be proved wrong though. My car has done a lil over 27.5 k. Will be getting the 4th service done around the 30k mark (7500 ish km service interval is what I go by).

Oh and a word of advise, do get your engine oil changed post running 2 - 3 odd thousand kms. Take care.

Edit / OT - Howcome your signature reads "Fiat Luna"? Just pointing it out incase this was a typo.

Last edited by Urban_Nomad : 7th April 2011 at 20:01.
Old 7th April 2011, 22:26   #99
BHPian

^^- I think the engine oil thing is something I was advised by another expert as well. Blame it to my laziness (and misery) that I did not do it.

I too do not expect a world class service by these Tata fellas at kht, all I want is they religiously do the basic service.

Greasy hands is quite a common scene with any fiat owner. Something or the other you may have to attend yourself.

Like it is said, Some drive cars, but few drive Fiats. Myself including couple of others in this forum drive two of them LOL!.

Your FE is impressive I must say.

My signature is - FLAT LUNA TURBO Super. The long old moped I always wanted to buy when I was a kid.
Did you read something else??
Old 8th April 2011, 16:07   #100
Senior - BHPian

^^ Sorry. I felt you mis spelt Linea as Luna.

Old 19th April 2011, 14:35   #101
Senior - BHPian

FE update:

12.36 kmpl - tank full to tank full
13.30 kmpl - MID

This is 70% city, 30% highway style driving with the AC on 80% of the time.

Bonus update:
  • The car got her 3rd free service at 23k kms. The AC kit was retro fitted FOC. Since "BUB" had shut shop in Pune, I took the car to "Pandit" @ Swargate.
  • The service experience / cost was no different than what i have posted for the 2nd free service. The car was again not washed properly and I had a major argument with the lady at the billing counter. Had to wait for over half an hour before she took my payment.
  • Post the AC retro kit fitment, the cooling has gone up considerably. Thus far, it is coping up with the Delhi heat quite well. That too sans sun films.
  • Somehow, the rattles, squeaks etc have not returned since the last service. The car feels really tight. Me like.
  • Goodyears are crappy tyres. The most puncture prone tyre and screams like its in labor when the car is doing triple digit speeds. However, I am at 28k kms now and there seems to be good life left in it still. Another 10k will be no sweat.
  • Next service (4th) shall be carried out at 30k kms. Any pointers where I can get the car serviced in Delhi? I read some reviews and each one is crappier than the next (the service shops ie. not the reviews).
  • Useless trivia - When on the 5th gear, the RPM and speedo needles are bilkul parallel to each other. I like this

Last edited by Urban_Nomad : 19th April 2011 at 14:36.
Old 19th April 2011, 21:36   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
^^ I remember driving the ANHC a while back and no, the steering feedback was nowehere near Linea's. Have not driven the "newer ones" though.

I say this my friend, if you have that sort of a budget that fits in the ANHC without fuss and you do not mind a couple of creature features omitted, go for it. Everyone on this forum swears by the bullet proof reliability of the Hondas and that must account for something (I have no personal experience on this front though, just hear- say). Vento, Hmmmm, competitive package but again, A$$ still needs to be looked at. I dont think VW is even offering 3 free services (thats a 1st, and it seems weird). Maybe sit on the fence for a while and make a decision. Also, as per GTOs review, the Diesel HL variant is the one worth buying. I think the Delhi on road price (diesel) for the same is 10.7 lac.

Linea has its fair share of niggles that can get irritating, but no major issues (mechanical, electrical etc). I think the Linea MJD will save you a lac + when compared to both the cars above. Have a look yourself and weigh all pros and cons.

The decision making process of putting down close to a million rupees on a vehicle can be quite overwhelming. Hope my response has been helpful (even if a little). All the very best to you.

Thats one hell of a comparison between three strong competitors in the market albeit Linea is on the lower side as they always say.
Old 21st April 2011, 14:21   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Next service (4th) shall be carried out at 30k kms. Any pointers where I can get the car serviced in Delhi? I read some reviews and each one is crappier than the next (the service shops ie. not the reviews).

Useless trivia - When on the 5th gear, the RPM and speedo needles are bilkul parallel to each other. I like this
Elegant (Patparganj) is the recommended one. Check Fiat India's site for details.

One heck of an observation on the trivia!!
nkapoor777 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2011, 20:54   #104
BHPian

Thanks Urban Nomad for the hilarious but 'pregnant with down to earth facts' of a review....
I too own one from some 5 months, Emotion Diesel.
Given all the cons,(low GC, unnecessarily cramped backseat legroom, the unwarranted engine-noise from such a noble lady.....well, thats all), I still consider it a dream-come-true car for the 'kanjoos fella' who thinks 100 times and TD from Mercs to apna Premier Padmini and then deliver a soliloquy:
"Arey, hamara purana fiat mein bhi paanch janaa baitt tho sakthaa hai; aur pachaas hazaar meim miltha yaar. Is chokri ko dhas laakh se uppar kyom dhey bhai ?

But after having a close look he says with flashing eyes: " Par cheese tho hai yaar, lorry saa lambhi hai, sait ki car se bhi lambi our sundar hai. Dhas diya tho kyaa, hum bhi sait logon ke paar tho hoyegaa naa? Chalo lenge yaar"

It is a great car for middle class people who NEED a big-league size, foreign, latest, beauty of a car, at affordable price; same time with good mileage. They cannot afford Merc, BMW or even Corolla but want to be seemingly in big league.

Same time she is a head-turning voluptuous beauty(Indians we are....), rock-sturdy body with pretty proven engine, good quality interiors, affordable mileage, taking time to pass your car and moving majestically like a limo.....

Well, this segment of people never look for jumping high bhp cars, they want 'family car', they drive extra carefully: "kahim lag tho na jaaye !" kind of driving. Keep it to hand over to grandson.....

She sure fills a blank in India.
I prefer diesel, it wont waste by evaporation, after all.
At the price, it is worth keeping, as family car.

Let vroom-boys go for Vernas, Skodas or the like !
Sunney is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2011, 19:26   #105
Senior - BHPian

Stranded ........ and no help in sight

It was a tuesday afternoon. I had left work early to collect my driver's license from Sheikh Sarai. I was in a good mood. Well, you typically are in a good mood if you get to leave work early. So there I was, making my way through the dusty by lanes of Greater Noida. "I ll be there in plenty of time. Maybe once I get back home, I will start my Amritsar travelogue on T-Bhp", I said to myself. You see, I had just returned from a 3 day road trip to Amritsar on Sunday, with my family in tow (24th April 2011). Just as I was about to turn towards the main expressway from the by-lane, I depressed the clutch to put the car in 2nd gear. THAT'S when it happened.

My foot got buried in the floor and the clutch refused to come back up. I panicked for a moment, But i quickly gathered my nerves and parked on the shoulder (FORCED the gear into neutral). I looked at the clutch. It was fully depressed and would not come back to its position. I pulled it out with my hand but the slightest tap of my foot on the clutch pedal sent it back into the floor.

I did the most obvious thing that came to mind. Got on my Blackberry and searchdthe number for "Fiat Roadside Assistance". Help will shortly reach me, I assured myself. A quick google serach gave me the 1800 number to the Fiat helpline. I called them up, and this is how the conversation went:

Lady Rep - Hello, Fiat roadside assistance.
Me - Hi. This is Karan Puri. My car has broken down on the Greater Noida E-way. My car is a Linea petrol emotion pack.
Lady Rep - What is your name sir?
Me - Karan Puri
Lady Rep - Ok, what is problem?
Me - My car has broken down. The clutch has become ....er.... free and I cannot operate it. Its mashed into the floor and its not ....um ..... coming back up(?).
Lady Rep - What?
Me - The clutch is not working. So I cannot change gears and hence the car cannot move.
[FONT=Helv][SIZE=2][FONT=Helv][SIZE=2]Lady Rep - What car is this?
Me - Fiat Linea 1.4 petrol emotion pack. Its white in colour.
[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]Lady Rep - Ok, what is your car number.
Me - MH 14 ** 35**
Lady Rep - What is your car chasis no.
Me - (??????) er... its (read the number from the RC card).
Lady Rep - When did you buy the car?
Me - (?????!!!!!) Ummm, it was registered on..
Lady Rep - No no, when did you BUY it. Exact date.
Me - I dont know. A couple of days before registration (????). Or do you want to know when I made the down payment?
Lady Rep - Sir take down a number.
Me - OK
(she rattles off two mobile phone numbers)
Me - Thanks. What are these numbers for?
Lady Rep - Crane ... Towing.
Me - I do not need a towing van number. I could have gotten this from "just dial". Why would I call you for that? Can you not send some mechanic to at least see what the issue is? It could be something that they may at least be able to fix temporarily so that I can drive down to a service center?
Lady Rep - Ok, take another number.
Me - Wait. What is this number for?
Lady Rep - Crossroads.
Me - Crossroads? The 24 hour helpline people crossroads?
Lady Rep - yes
Me - You are the Fiat helpline. Why are you giving me another helpline number? I dont want a crossroad mechanic. I would like a Fiat trained person to look at the car please.
Lady Rep - Crossroad people are technical sir.
Me - ??? What does that mean? Why wont you send a Fiat person?
Lady Rep - You are not registered for Fiat roadside assistance.
Me - Ok, why dont you register me now. I ll pay you. Just let me know how I need to pay for it. I can do it right away.
Lady Rep - Ok, I am sending you email. Please read and the call us back. Ok?
Me - What? No!!!!! I need your help NOW.
Lady Rep - (irritated) I cannot register you. It is offered to people when they buy Fiat cars.
Me - Well I am the idiot who bought a Linea in April 2009. Fiat launched this service in october 2009. HOW COULD I HAVE REGISTERED THEN?
Lady Rep - You want Fiat mechanic? Ok, take another number.
Me - WHAT NUMBER IS THIS NOW?
Lady Rep - This is the number to our service center. Wait, I will give you numbers to 3 service centers.

I don't know what to say anymore. I cannot argue anymore. I just need help, I said to myself.

Me - Give me the numbers.

I got the number to the following service centers : Sterling (Noida), Rama (Okhla) and Elegant (Patparganj).

I remembered reading a comment on this very thread not too long ago about Elegant being the best of the lot. I called them. Nobody answered the phone. After 8 odd attempts, I gave up and called the remainder two centers. Here's how that went:

Sterling - A lady answered the phone and upon hearing my issue, she informed me that the workshop was closed and no service advisors were available. I pleaded with her, to which she responded that she will check and revert in no longer than 10 minutes.

Rama - I was transferred to the service department. The person on the other end told me that it was too late to send someone and I would need to get the car towed till the workshop. The time now was 4:15 pm.

I was now furious. My frustration had turned to anger and I told him exactly what I thought of his, and in general, Fiat's attitude. Suddenly, I started hearing music. Great. I had been transferred back to the reception. By now, I did not care who was on the phone. I told the lady point blank that towing was not an option as it would almost certainly damage the car's bodywork. I asked if a flat bed was available and she refused.

Before I could go bezerk yet again, she offered me her General Manager's number. Another number, brilliant. I then called up the GM, who pleaded helplessness and very casually said - "Sir, just get the vehichle till our workshop. Thats all".

(I must admit though, whilst on phone with this GM person, the Sterling lady did call back within 10 minutes, although it was only to infom me that nothing can be done).

I disconnected the call and sat there looking at the road ahead. I was BLANK. All sorts of stupid thoughts rushed into my head.

I wish my 12 year old Maruti 800 or 8 year old Hyundai Santro had broken down sometime. Maybe that would have given me the experience to deal with this situation. Ohhhh shut up and think ... THINK.

I looked at my watch. It was around 4:35.

Ok, I need to act fast. The traffic will really start building up in less than 25 minutes.

I sat back into my seat, put on my seatbelt, slotted the car in 1st gear, Released the handbrake, put the key into the ignition slot and turned it.

The car jolted violently, but started. The car began to move veryyyyyyyy slowly. Ok, the traffic is not too dense now. Maybe I wont have to come to a complete halt, I thought.

It was a pain to drive the car in 1st gear, even for 500 meters. I pulled over to the side of the road again and shut off the car. I started the car again, only this time, in 2nd gear. To my surprise, the car started once again (albeit with a LOT more jerks). Ok, this is slightly better now. The second gear has an 80 km range.

I got stuck again at the DND toll plaza but moved along and was finally home.

More to follow fellow BHP-ians. This is far from over. My humble apologies for the break in between but believe me when I say it cannot be avoided (stupid client calls).

TO BE CONTINUED.........

Last edited by Urban_Nomad : 28th April 2011 at 19:34.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks