Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2011, 08:44   #136
Senior - BHPian

Even better!

New personal mileage record. Early morning start and low traffic helped. ACC usage 100% at 25 degrees. Speed mostly kept to a constant 60kmph. Occassionaly went upto 70-80kmph for overtaking.

I'm starting to like this now. Not just the mileage, but the kind of relaxed driving experience that comes along with it.

My Fiat Punto MJD 90HP - 4 years & 51000 km EDIT: Now sold!-dsc04680_1024.jpg
My Fiat Punto MJD 90HP - 4 years & 51000 km EDIT: Now sold!-dsc04681_1024.jpg
My Fiat Punto MJD 90HP - 4 years & 51000 km EDIT: Now sold!-dsc04682_1024.jpg
StarrySky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2011, 09:48   #137
Senior - BHPian

re: My Fiat Punto MJD 90HP - 3 years & 37,300 km Service Update

That is some brilliant mileage you are getting there, but you must be really patient to be driving the Punto like that ! Common, use all those 90 horses..
fiat_tarun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2011, 19:47   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
That is some brilliant mileage you are getting there, but you must be really patient to be driving the Punto like that ! Common, use all those 90 horses..
It's just that my last 2-3 highway drives have been solo drives with lots of time to spare. There was no incentive to drive fast, so I decided to do some experiments with FE. Usually, I drive a bit faster. I don't feel safe doing anything more than 80 on Kerala's highways. 100+ is a rarity for me, I do that only when I can see acres of tarmac with no one near.

But, what the last 2-3 "slow" trips have taught me is that in the real world scenario, there is hardly 10-15mins difference in my travel time if I try to maintain 80 as opposed to maintaining 60. And the upside is that maintaining 60 is a lot less stressful than maintaining 80.
Old 9th May 2011, 20:11   #139
BHPian

Wow!! thats awesome fuel economy, My personal record on my regular 1.3 Punto was 25 kmpl on the Bangalore Mysore Highway.

At what RPM do you drive to get this fuel economy? I mean, do you drive it in the turbo range or below it?
Old 9th May 2011, 20:26   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pri2 View Post
At what RPM do you drive to get this fuel economy? I mean, do you drive it in the turbo range or below it?
60kmph in 5th gear corresponds to around 1500rpm, so I guess that's probably just below the turbo range. I think even 70kmph in 5th gear may be just below turbo range. Problem with trying to maintain 70 or 80kmph on Kerala highways is that there is some road joining the highway almost every km or so. Hence you will have many more instances of deceleration and acceleration, which can't be good for FE. 60kmph is like a sweet spot.
Old 17th May 2011, 00:48   #141
Senior - BHPian

Crossed the 10K mark today. I was about 10km short of 10K when I was about to reach home from office today - and then decided to drive around for 10km just as a celebration! It's been 9 months and 3 days since I got my Punto.

My Fiat Punto MJD 90HP - 4 years & 51000 km EDIT: Now sold!-dsc04687_1024.jpg

My Punto ownership has been a stress-free experience. I haven't suffered from any niggling issues. Except the first service at 3K when I asked for an oil change, it has cost me exactly Rs.0 for maintenance. If I had to nitpick, there was a rattle from the left C-pillar which the service station fixed to my satisfaction during the free checkup camp held last month. There has been no whitening of the exterior black plastics - this inspite of the fact that I don't have a covered car parking at office. The interior plastics too are holding up well.

Has the car become smoother over these 10K kms? Yes, I think so.
Has the noise level gone down? No, not as far as I can tell.

Negatives:
1. Headlights! I complain about them, but I haven't changed them yet. So maybe they are not all that bad. But, I have surely cut down on my highway trips post sun-down. In a way, that's not a bad thing.

2. The wipers could be better, more so at the front than at the back.

3. The driving position may not be to everyone's liking. I don't have a problem with it. But my father, who usually drives a Wagon-R really isn't keen on driving my Punto.

4. I wish it had some utility features like remote boot opening.

5. The interiors are not the most stylish (Polo is many times better) - again may not be to everyone's taste.

What I like at 10K:
1. I love the steering - there I said it! I know it sounds cliche when it comes to Punto/Linea. It's behaves perfectly to my liking at speed. I wouldn't call the steering light at parking speeds, but it isn't a bother at all.

2. I love the seats (front seats - haven't travelled much at the back). Once again I think they are shaped perfectly for me. The first thing I miss when I sit in other cars at home are my Punto's seats.

3. It's fairly loaded with features compared to most other cars in its class. I have added only rear parking sensors - but other than that, most of the times when people ask if "Does this car have 'X' feature?" the answer is "Yes!!"

4. The AC is very effective. I thought I might have to add sunfilms in time for summer, but I haven't really felt the need so far. The slight tint on the glass areas really help. I'm sure it would be better with sunfilms, but there isn't much to complain even without them.

5. I love the way the car masks speed. The roads have really improved, and that helps too. Many a time during my highway runs, my wife looks at me as if to say "Why are you driving so slow?". Then she takes a peek at the speedo and says "Oh, you're doing 80!"

6. The combination of ride+handling is a winner. When we are at my in-law's place, Punto is the vehicle of choice for slightly long journeys (for eg: to Calicut etc). Considering that there's a Fiesta and a Fabia also in the family, it's no mean achievement!

Last but not the least, it gives amazing mileage under "standard test conditions" (early morning start, low-medium traffic, non-stop (no waiting at signals), AC usage minimal, keeping it steady at 60kmph as much as possible):

My Fiat Punto MJD 90HP - 4 years & 51000 km EDIT: Now sold!-dsc04683_1024.jpg
My Fiat Punto MJD 90HP - 4 years & 51000 km EDIT: Now sold!-dsc04686_1024.jpg
My Fiat Punto MJD 90HP - 4 years & 51000 km EDIT: Now sold!-dsc04685_1024.jpg
Old 17th May 2011, 01:14   #142
BHPian

Hi ,StarrySky
Congrats on your 10k with punto .Moreover you really did the splendid job by getting mileage of 25kml plus with you mjd .I myself have done 28 kml over a stretch of 40 kms on NH2 between Varanasi and Allahabad ,I did the same as you ,keeping the legs off the gas pedals most of the time and cruising effortlessly at 60kmh .
I have clocked around 35000kms in last eleventh months without much fuss .
I had done some long distance driving as well from Gorakhpur to Nashik around 1500kms and then returned covering same distance .
As regards ride and handling I prefer my punto mjd over my INNOVA for long distance journeys .
Happy puntoing
blue
Old 17th May 2011, 22:28   #143
BHPian

I think you are the first one to complain about the wipers. Its way better than most cars
Old 18th May 2011, 15:39   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerfan View Post
I think you are the first one to complain about the wipers. Its way better than most cars
I'm not sure if I'm the first to complain about wipers. I don't have too much experience driving other cars in the rain, so I can't comment about them. More than the wipers alone, it's night driving+rain which is a problem for me because I'm not completely satisfied with the headlights either.
Old 20th May 2011, 13:39   #145
BHPian

Congrats on completing 10k kms on your Punto. I too completed 10 k on my punto last week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky

I'm not sure if I'm the first to complain about wipers. I don't have too much experience driving other cars in the rain, so I can't comment about them. More than the wipers alone, it's night driving+rain which is a problem for me because I'm not completely satisfied with the headlights either.
I too had problems with driving at rainy nights. The stock headlamps were not that bright and this brings down the visibility especially when it rains. (maybe because the roads turn dark black and don't refelect much light) After I upgraded the headlamps, night driving during rains isn't a pain.

Regarding the wipers / windscreen, I initially had some problems. I used to see a light white layer some residue on the windscreen which was only visible while driving in rains. I tried cleaning it with a glass cleaner, used a good wiper fluid etc etc.. Nothing helped. Eventually after driving for a couple of weeks in the rain, this white layer mysteriously disappeared.
Old 20th May 2011, 21:52   #146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pri2 View Post
Congrats on completing 10k kms on your Punto. I too completed 10 k on my punto last week.

I too had problems with driving at rainy nights. The stock headlamps were not that bright and this brings down the visibility especially when it rains. (maybe because the roads turn dark black and don't refelect much light) After I upgraded the headlamps, night driving during rains isn't a pain.
Thanks Pri2.

Did you change to higher wattage headlights or just got better bulbs of same wattage as the original?
Old 3rd June 2011, 15:45   #147
Senior - BHPian

Re: HELP !!

I require some urgent advice.

Today afternoon, I had to drive through some stagnant water just before reaching my office's gate. It wasn't very deep (not deep enough to cover the exhaust pipe) but it was slightly deeper than usual. I was in 2nd gear, the car slowed down while in the water, there was lot of spray - I kept my foot planted on the accelerator and pulled clear of the water. A few metres after I cleared the water, I stopped at the gates for a security check. Then the "Check Engine" warning message came on. I couldn't stop at the gate, so I drove about 10 meters further and switched off the car. But then, I wasn't allowed to park there, so I started the car again and reversed it into a better parking place. The check engine light warning came on this time too when I started the car. Once parked, I tried once more - and the message came on again when the car was started. I haven't started the car since.

I spoke to Fiat SA's from RF Motors, Cochin and also from Hyson Motos, Thrissur. Both of them told me that it is safe to drive the car to the nearest A.S.C (which is RF Motors - about 10km away). I am really worried if driving the car further would cause any major damage. What should I do?
Old 3rd June 2011, 16:15   #148
BHPian

Hi there. I think some water may have sprayed over some sensor which is causing it to give this warning. In case you have any doubts get the car towed to the service station for check up
Old 3rd June 2011, 16:21   #149
Senior - BHPian

What you mean by spray? Like you entered the water in high speed and hence a splash? As a rule try to cross the waterlogged areas in first gear at low speed at high RPM to be on safe side.

I think if was going to be a hydrolock issue the car would have stalled in waterbody itself and the engine would not keep on starting the way it is now. So you can rest easy. But should you get it towed or drive it to the Service center is something I wont comment on. I will let experts to chip in.
Old 3rd June 2011, 17:03   #150
Distinguished - BHPian

check your airbox to see if the filter is wet.
intake would be around the headlight level or below it.
like you said, you kept your foot planted.
spray could have gone in.
If wet, get a flatbed and onwards to ASC.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks