Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2010, 14:33   #31
BHPian

Congrats!!

Your reason for selecting the Punto MJD is almost exactly the same as mine, except that at that time there was no Polo or the 90hp Punto.

After a couple of weeks behind the wheel, you will not notice any turbo lag, you will be able to ride the torque. Me too had problems in downshifting from 5th to 4th in the beginning, but now I have no issues. Please do mention if you find a solution to the right shoulder pain during long drives, me too have the same issue.

Regarding mileage, 80-90 in 5th is the sweet spot. For me, on highways, the MID shows a mileage of around 26, so adjusting for any error it should be around 22-24. But trying to achieve that speed constantly is impossible in Kerala.

Great car dude, you will love every second behind the wheel. Enjoy
Old 15th August 2010, 17:34   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
And as Kavesh asked, why 90 and not the 75?
Partly it was simply to get the latest 'toy'. As I mentioned earlier, I was hooked on the Punto Sports since Jan. It was watered down when it was lauched, but other than those yummy alloys, I don't think I'll miss anything from the version shown at Auto Expo.

Also, the TD experience of the 90HP version was better. Maybe it was because the FGT I TD'd wasn't well-maintained. I felt that 90HP is surely the better car for the highway and I expect the highway trips to be longer and more frequent going forward.

Even so, I picking 90HP over the 75HP Punto wasn't an easy task. Especially, since the 30K difference in price was inflated to nearly 65K due to discounts on the FGT version. Then, I was told that the price of the FGT version is about to go up by atleast 5K (don't know if they have). Also, the sales executive said he will try to avail corp discount on the 90HP Punto as well. With that the price difference came down to more acceptable levels and I decided to go with 90HP. By the time of delivery, free extended warranty was also offered, so the deal was made even sweeter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadracer View Post
Congrats and the write up was good. Could you post pics of the rear leg room space?
I will do that tomorrow. Haven't been able to get my camera out today, it's a rainy day!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Congrats dude!
Two things one of which I always mention in a Punto thread.
1. Get rid of hyson stickers from the back and the rear window
2. Get rid of the mudflaps right away, they spoil the lines of the car, especially the rear three quarter.
1. The dealer stickers will be gone soon.
2. Those are freebie mudflaps from the dealer. I tore the right front flap on day 1 itself when it got caught between the front tire and a 3-4 inch high step when the car was being reversed. So I got the dealer to remove the left front mudflap as well. It's not the best time to be without mudflaps in Kerala, so I guess I will keep them on for another month or so.

Better mudflaps for the Punto were available with the dealer (shorter, and more rigid) for Rs.480. It looked like a genuine Fiat accessory. I didn't have time to get them fixed yesterday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutralgrey View Post
After a couple of weeks behind the wheel, you will not notice any turbo lag, you will be able to ride the torque.
It's day 3 and it's already better. I had a trip into the city today and it was surely better.

Quote:
Me too had problems in downshifting from 5th to 4th in the beginning, but now I have no issues.
That's good to know, thanks!

Quote:
Please do mention if you find a solution to the right shoulder pain during long drives, me too have the same issue.
Today I tried adjusting the front seat height so that I'll be able to rest my right elbow on the door pad at the window level. I spent quite some time in traffic, and I didn't have any issues. But it has to be tried on a highway trip.

The armrest provided on the doorpad is not very useful to me. That's because I like to drive with the seat pushed back and my elbow misses the armrest with the driver seat set to my preferred driving position. If what I've tried now doesn't work for long distances, the other option is to push the front seat a bit forward and slightly lower so that I will be able to use the armrest better.
Old 15th August 2010, 17:37   #33
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the 90HP Punto, StarrySky!

The glovebox plastics seem fine, unlike the ones on Sid's review. Keep us updated on the FE and performance front.

BTW, don't you have that "I am India's most powerful diesel hatch" or whatever sticker on your rear windshield?
Old 15th August 2010, 17:39   #34
BHPian

Congrats Starrysky! Happy highway cruising with the Italian beauty. Did you see the OEM mudflaps at Hyson Motors?
Old 15th August 2010, 18:15   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
The door handles are chrome right?
Yes, they are. It's one of the reasons why I chose white over red when selecting the color. The chrome door handles on the red car don't look nice, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
BTW, don't you have that "I am India's most powerful diesel hatch" or whatever sticker on your rear windshield?
I don't want to see my car in 'Wierd, wacky, funny stickers' thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutsNBolts View Post
Did you see the OEM mudflaps at Hyson Motors?
Yes, the mudflaps shown on the Fiat India site.
Old 15th August 2010, 18:41   #36
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your punto 90 HP! Crafted for a true fan.

BTW did you see the gaps in these pics?

I think that you can visit your dealer and it can be aligned. Did the dealer open the dash for inspecting the electricals during their PDI?
Attached Thumbnails
My Fiat Punto MJD 90HP - 4 years & 51000 km EDIT: Now sold!-dsc03118_1024.jpg  

Old 15th August 2010, 19:31   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
Congrats on your punto 90 HP! Crafted for a true fan.

BTW did you see the gaps in these pics?

I think that you can visit your dealer and it can be aligned. Did the dealer open the dash for inspecting the electricals during their PDI?
Thanks, Sid. I will check with the dealer next time. I have rear parking sensor installed and the screen has been fixed near the front quarter glass on the right side. I guess the dealer may have opened the dash to install the screen, if not for the PDI.
Old 16th August 2010, 17:34   #38
GTO
Team-BHP Support

That would be my personal choice in the hatchback segment too, StarrySky. Congrats on a great hatch and thanks for sharing your review with us. I hope you plan to update it as the odometer ticks.
Old 16th August 2010, 17:51   #39
Senior - BHPian

Welcome to the FIAT family ! You gonna love this car post 5K km like anything.
Old 16th August 2010, 20:22   #40
Senior - BHPian

Rear Legroom:

The rear legroom with the driver's seat set to my preferred driving position (note the position of the back of the seat - almost level with the rear door). There's maybe two inches of room between my knee and the back of the front seat. Person of my height (just short of 5'8") will be comfortable, six footers probably won't be.

Next pic is to give a perspective of how far back the driver's seat really is. My knee is 3-4 inches away from the dash with my left foot on the dead pedal. Some six footers will be comfortable driving from this position.

Next pic shows the rear legroom with the front seat pushed fully back. My knee is pressing against the back of the driver's seat. Six footers stay away!
Old 16th August 2010, 21:06   #41
Senior - BHPian

Hey

Is it me only or all others facing problems with the pics? M unable to see any pics. Can you please upload them again.
Old 16th August 2010, 21:17   #42
Senior - BHPian

I'm also unable to see the pic.
I got mine delivered today. I did my PDI and was completing the paperwork formalities and the car was being washed etc. When we went for taking the car, we found that someone had deliberately scratched the car near rear tail light. I wonder who has done this while the car was inside the dealership. PDI incharge acknowledged the same that it has been scratched with a key. So did the sales manager. Here is the pic. Scratches below the car tail light on white metal part.

Have been called tomorrow for a repaint. Should i do the same or leave it? I do not want any color difference or I've seen on some old cars on roads that repainted areas get ugly after a few years due to faster ageing.
Attached Thumbnails
My Fiat Punto MJD 90HP - 4 years & 51000 km EDIT: Now sold!-photo0285.jpg  

Old 16th August 2010, 21:30   #43
Senior - BHPian

Oops! Sorry about the pics. I will upload them again soon.

@PaddleShifter: Congrats on your new Punto. Is it the 90HP variant? I think you should get the scratch painted, that's a big one. I'm no expert on paint jobs, though.

My car has a tiny patch of chipped paint on the front right door handle. I had pointed it out to the sales exec during the PDI. But, it wasn't fixed by the time of delivery. Then I decided to leave it there to ward off the evil eye

Last edited by StarrySky : 16th August 2010 at 21:31.
Old 16th August 2010, 21:39   #44
Senior - BHPian

Mine is FGT variant. My running will not be able to recover the price of VGT in maybe 5-7 years even.

My father says that I should leave it but the sales manager said that I need not worry about the repaint and should go ahead with it.

A car getting scratched inside the work shop is not normal and moreover it wasn't unattended for sure as the cleaning and preparation wasn't yet complete.
But, this wont bring down the excitement I've for it.
Old 17th August 2010, 00:09   #45
Senior - BHPian

Somehow, I'm able to see the pics now.

Uploading them again anyway:
Attached Thumbnails
My Fiat Punto MJD 90HP - 4 years & 51000 km EDIT: Now sold!-dsc03147_1024.jpg  

My Fiat Punto MJD 90HP - 4 years & 51000 km EDIT: Now sold!-dsc03149_1024.jpg  

My Fiat Punto MJD 90HP - 4 years & 51000 km EDIT: Now sold!-dsc03155_1024.jpg  

My Fiat Punto MJD 90HP - 4 years & 51000 km EDIT: Now sold!-dsc03165_1024.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks