Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2010, 14:36   #76
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmopolitan View Post
How much did you pay for the park sensor. Is that OE from Fiat ? From where did u purchase that ?
It's not OE, but I sourced it from the dealer (Hyson, Thrissur) itself. I paid Rs.3800.
Old 15th September 2010, 16:52   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
I guess the turbo kicks in at around 2K rpm. It's quite difficult to pinpoint exactly when, because the power delivery is very smooth and you don't get any "kick" out if it. There is no surge at 2K rpm, nothing comes "on". My BIL who has driven the Swift diesel extensively remarked that he couldn't really figure out when the turbo kicks in. Personally, I have felt that things start moving at around 1.8K rpm.

I don't usually rev beyond 2.5K rpm, so I guess I haven't made the best use of the turbo so far

In 4th and 5th, the car pulls cleanly from 1K rpm. So in city, you can avoid that gear change if you wish. But then, there is a price to pay - progress is _slow_ till around 1.5-1.6K rpm after which things are better. I have felt that at city speeds, it is best to keep it in the 1.7-1.8K rpm range (in 4th gear that would be around 40-50kmph). That is the sweet spot, which helps you run around without a gear change and still gives sufficient performance to close the gaps fast.

I haven't timed the in-gear accelerations, just taking it easy until I get to atleast 1500km (it's now at 1450).
Better not to drive in 4th & 5th Gear at 1K RPM - Lugging will load the engine. It will probably be more harmful than reeving close to red line!

Rest of the things you mentioned is typical to both Punto & Polo. Similar to my experience also with both these cars.

Once the engine sets, it will be a joy to drive these Diesel cars! I wish you all the best. I will follow this thread and wait for further updates.

Take care!
Old 15th September 2010, 18:26   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Better not to drive in 4th & 5th Gear at 1K RPM - Lugging will load the engine.
No, I don't do that. I just mentioned the possibility
Old 10th October 2010, 20:25   #79
Senior - BHPian

I haven't updated this thread for about a month now, because there hasn't been much to update.

Last two mileage updates:
Distance: 544.3km
Fuel: 40.01 litres
FE: 13.6kmpl FE as per MID: 13.9kmpl
Avg speed (MID): 27kmph
Usage was about 70% in city, 100% ACC.

Distance: 626.2km
Fuel: 39.28 litres
FE: 15.94kmpl FE as per MID: 16.1kmpl
Avg speed (MID): 32kmph
Usage was about 60% on the highway, last 50km without AC (only demisting occassionly)

I made a Trichur-Calicut trip last weekend (265km round trip). The route has quite a few ups and downs, lot of curves, some really bad roads and it was raining heavily during the return journey. There were 3 of us the car (3 adults). I thought the car took all that was thrown at it quite well. We started from Trichur at around 2:45pm and was back in Trichur by 10:30pm. I drove the whole way, with about a 45min break in between and I didn't feel tired at all. We chose to make the trip in the Punto rather than the Fiesta at home because my wife finds the ride much more comfortable. She also has a bit of motion sickness occassionally, and she thought she might feel sick if she travels in the Fiesta on that route. Anyway, Punto kept the faith and she didn't have any problems during our short trip to Calicut and back.

Today, I had a short trip around Cochin (about 20km) with a full load of 2 adults in the front seat and 4 adults and a child at the back. The route had quite a few craters on the road and a few humps. Although I was driving carefully, I was still happy that the car did not scrape its bottom anywhere. The trip also had some steep climbs and it pulled quite well too.

In short, the car has been doing its duties well (touchwood) and the odo now stands at 2650km in close to 2 months of ownership. I guess it'll be time for the 3K service in about 10 days. I will probably be going to Trichur this weekend, and I will try to get it done there on Saturday, if I have completed around 2850km by that time.
Old 10th October 2010, 21:05   #80
Senior - BHPian

Nice update StarrySky. Also, do you at times get a bit enthusiastic while driving?
Because MJD owners report at least 17kmpl in the teamfiat India's FE thread consistently, for that average speed you have mentioned. Some even report 20+ on the highway even in run-in period if average speed is 25-30kmph. What is the total reading on the Odo?
Old 10th October 2010, 21:40   #81
Senior - BHPian

Was these figures attained while driving in the bumper to bumper traffic in Ernakulam? If yes, then I must say that the mileage is pretty good.

If no, then I do agree with PaddleShifter. Are you a spirited driver by any chance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddleShifter View Post
What is the total reading on the Odo?
I guess that you didn't read his update completely. StarrySky has crunched 2650km.

Amith
Old 10th October 2010, 23:06   #82
Senior - BHPian

PaddleShifter and Klubclass:

I wouldn't classify myself as an enthusiastic driver. I've set my speed buzzer at 90 and rarely exceed it. I usually limit myself at around 80 on the highway. But there are a few other factors:

1. It's my first car. I've been driving regularly for only about 15 months now, that too on petrol cars where I haven't ever checked the FE. So I guess I have a lot to learn. For eg: My bro, who'd been driving a diesel Uno for the last 10 years managed to coax 24.5kmpl out of his MJD Linea a few days back on the highway (at 40% AC)
2. Typically, my runs are short. My office is only 6km away from home (one-way) and I encounter moderate traffic on my way to office and back. The roads, though, are good.
3. When I go into the city (weekends), I usually encounter heavy traffic + bad roads.

The highway milegae has been better. I got 19.5 for my last round-trip to Trichur and 17.5 for my Trichur-Calicut trip.
Old 10th October 2010, 23:27   #83
Senior - BHPian

Know I am kind of late in congratulating you! But great purchase, and many congratulations.

Your efficiency figures look just about right for a car which never really warms up. 6kms on a cold engine would more or less give you similar figures. Glad it is performing admirably on long trips.

Cheers!
Old 11th October 2010, 19:02   #84
Senior - BHPian

Today I got a call from Fiat Italy. The call lasted about 20 mins. The gentleman who called asked for general feedback on the car. Then he went over a list that has almost every part of the car from engine to door handles to the rear parcel tray and asked if there was a problem with any of them. I gave him feedback about my FR door which requires a bit more effort to close than the other doors and bootlid which I think has a misaligned lock. When asked if I would still choose Punto if I could go back 2 months in time, I said yes.

Also today I tried to change my driving habits a bit to accelerate slowly and steadily, brake early etc. The result - I achieved an FE of 18.2kmpl over 4 trips to office and back (70% ACC at 23 deg). But yes, I felt slightly wierd driving that way and thought I was too slow. So, Paddleshifter and Klubclass, maybe I've been a spirited driver without realising it
Old 11th October 2010, 22:02   #85
Senior - BHPian

Couple of months back, my dad had got a similar call from Fiat Italy for the feedback on the car. The conversation lasted for almost an hour and he discussed almost all aspects of the car including the plastic fit & finish.Moreover, my dad said that our next car would be a Fiat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
Also today I tried to change my driving habits a bit to accelerate slowly and steadily, brake early etc. The result - I achieved an FE of 18.2kmpl over 4 trips to office and back (70% ACC at 23 deg).
That's sound great StarrySky. I bet that you'll soon revert to your old driving habits

Quote:
But yes, I felt slightly wierd driving that way and thought I was too slow.
So, Paddleshifter and Klubclass, maybe I've been a spirited driver without realising it

Amith
Old 13th October 2010, 12:51   #86
Senior - BHPian

Today my car kissed the wall when I was taking her out of the parking lot. There was a car parked directly infront of my parking lot. He moved his car to let me take my car out. Maybe I was a bit impatient to get out or was distracted by the other car, anyway, I saw too late that I was too close to the wall. I tried to steer away from the wall, but the damage was done. In hindsight, I guess I would've been better off stopping the car and then trying to steer it away from the wall, but then hindsight is always 20/20.

I think (rather hope) it's not a bad kiss, honestly I haven't had the heart to check it out properly.

I'm disappointed and angry with myself. It's the third "injury" I have inflicted on my car in less than 2 months. One of my friends remarked that I haven't been so clumsy with my in-laws' Alto and Fiesta before. Or my father's WagonR.

Maybe, it's somewhere there in the back on my mind that it's "MY CAR", so it's OK if she takes a knock or two? I mean, I love my car and want to maintain her in top condition, but I was wondering if at the same time I've been a bit careless as well? Has anyone else "experienced" this conflict?
Old 13th October 2010, 13:18   #87
BHPian

StarrySky, yup, it happens. I have inflicted damage on my Punto twice as well. As you said, it is mostly caused by diversion of attention from another source.
Old 13th October 2010, 13:22   #88
BHPian

Starry Sky; just a small query; After that many kilometers do you feel that the engine is better than at the time of delivery, in terms of performance and turbo push
Old 13th October 2010, 13:29   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj.barcode View Post
Starry Sky; just a small query; After that many kilometers do you feel that the engine is better than at the time of delivery, in terms of performance and turbo push
For me it turned out to be approx 5500 km. These days the engine has become quite silent and the low end acceleration has increased.
Old 13th October 2010, 15:32   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj.barcode View Post
I've covered around 2720km and I haven't really felt any big change so far.

What has changed, though, is that I've learned to keep it in or around the turbo zone (about 1700-1900rpm) to avoid the turbo lag. That way, now I find it much easier to drive in the city than when I got delivery of the car.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks