Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2010, 13:07   #136
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
I do highway night driving, and need all the visibility I can get - especially when driving on highways when it is raining at night/
This is the singular reason why I don't have a single sun film in my cars and use the help of newspapers to cool down interiors during the day. I would suggest you to remove the front windscreen film and may be add 100/90 or 130/110 bulbs in your headlight for a better beam.
MileCruncher is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2010, 13:22   #137
Senior - BHPian

Yes, I had held back till now for the same reason. This is my first time with sunfilm on the front windshield. Will drive around for a few days in all sorts of conditions (mid-day sun, rainy nights) and then take a call after evaluating whether the benefit is more than the cost. I didn't expect the so called best sunfilm - VK 70 - to reduce visibility to such an extent. The sides and back are fine. The front will take some time to get used to, if I decide to stick with it. Is there anyone who does regular night driving with front sunfilm? Would like to get others' perspectives on the front windshield cooling vs. reduced visibility trade-off, though ultimately it will come down to my personal comfort level.
Old 2nd December 2010, 14:46   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Put V-Kool on the vehicle yesterday. Front: VK 70, Sides - A 60 (entry level); back: Silver Blue (64% VLT). Haven't had a chance to test it under the hot sun yet, but driving back, the headlights seemed much weaker. Couldn't make out that the low beam was on (to be fair, street lights and oncoming traffic were making it difficult for the low beam). Even the high beam didn't have the usual brilliant throw, and seemed average at best. Anyone faced this after putting sunfilm on the windshield? After a few days, will need to decide whether the cooling during daytime is worth the reduced visibility at night. I do highway night driving, and need all the visibility I can get - especially when driving on highways when it is raining at night/
Dear Nilanjan, I've had similar problems after applying V-kool on the windshield screen of my octy and swift. I seriously doubt that the values of visible light transmissions are true. My worst experience has been with the octy, since I do a lot of Highways and night driving is also a part of it. I think there will be an obvious trade off between the heat protection and visibility. A friend of mine has had similar experience with Llumar also. I'm thinking of removing the one's in the octy.
Old 2nd December 2010, 17:25   #139
BHPian

Hi Nil, could you put pics of the fortuner with the V-kools? Do you wear spectacles? If not, the front visibility being lower just takes a little getting used to. I wear specs and so I'm really facing problems ever since I put sunfilms on my bolero last month. Say, that mirror on the bonnet... is it a Toyota fitment or an after market fitment?
Old 2nd December 2010, 19:07   #140
Senior - BHPian

I wear contact lenses, but that shouldn't be an issue. I do find difficult to drive when I wear specs, because of suboptimal peripheral vision. Btw, today I drove during dusk and in the evening for sometime, and visibility felt better. Maybe I will get used to it. Apart from the rediced light trnsmission, I don't find any other issues e.g. no light scatterings.

I got the installation done from the V-Kool company showroom on Richmond Road. They were very courteous and helpful. They have different rates for different models e.g. Fortuner had a different rate (lesser rate) than the Innova's. Incidentally, Team-BHPians get a big discount :-). I think the showroom quote was 25% cheaper than Nandi Toyota's. I would recommend them - the installation seems to be fine. Let me know if anyone wants their number (or, just Google for Justdial + V-kool + Bangalore)

@MudMover: The mirror is the original Toyota/Fortuner mirror. Will take some pictures and upload them later - maybe during my next trip :-)

Last edited by nilanjanray : 2nd December 2010 at 19:21.
nilanjanray is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2010, 22:23   #141
BHPian

You and your fortuner have been to some really wonderful places. Great ownership thread
Old 2nd December 2010, 23:45   #142
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Soccerfan. Many more trips are planned - this is just the beginning. I plan to keep her for 10 years, Jairam permitting :-)
Old 3rd December 2010, 11:07   #143
BHPian

kanha

Quote:
Many more trips are planned - this is just the beginning.
Nilanjan, I saw this link in today's Hindu on Kanha National Park, MP and remembered you are planning a trip -
"Inside the 'Jungle Book'. Covering parts of Mandla and Balaghat districts of Madhya Pradesh, Kanha National Park was established in 1955. It is this park that inspired Rudyard Kipling to write the Jungle Book. A selection of images of the rich fauna from the jungles of Kanha. Photos: K.R. Deepak"
The Hindu : Sci-Tech / Energy & Environment : Inside the 'Jungle Book'
Old 14th December 2010, 00:57   #144
Senior - BHPian

re: Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 80000 km update

Yes, that trip is still pending :-(

Btw, I am going for 5000 km servicing (back after a long Nilgiris trip that involved offroading) - should I change oil and oil filter?

V-kool served me very well under the hot sun - worth it. Visibiliy is fine during night highway driving, as I experienced.
Old 19th January 2011, 15:58   #145
BHPian

re: Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 80000 km update

changing oil and filter after 5000 is recomended.

for your low beam trouble:
You can use H9 bulb with a small mod in the low beam. This is very similar to the factory fitted H11. and is a straight fit. Cut away small noth inside the electrical connection of the bulb. Standard H9 is 65W, and the lumen rating is much higher than standard 55W H11 bulb (almost double).

This will make low beam closer to HID performance, without needing to change the wiring or anything else.

Google H11 to H9 conversion for details.

BUT best of luck finding H9 bulbs.
Old 20th January 2011, 14:18   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, that trip is still pending :-(

Btw, I am going for 5000 km servicing (back after a long Nilgiris trip that involved offroading) - should I change oil and oil filter?

V-kool served me very well under the hot sun - worth it. Visibiliy is fine during night highway driving, as I experienced.
I doubt that you need to change the oil and oil filter at 5000 kms. If i recall correctly i think you did change the oil and filter at 1000 kms too?

The oil and filter are good for 10,000 kms. Toyota recommends that you change these every 10,000 kms only. You may of course change at every 5000 kms too if you like, but its just increasing the cost of maintainence for your vehicle.

Cheers! and keep the posts and pics coming.
Old 22nd January 2011, 22:41   #147
Senior - BHPian

6000 km update.

She is going strong as expected. Have been driving in the city in the last few weeks, and the mileage has come down to 10+ instead of 11+. Which is ok. Only comment: the exhaust smell seems different - not like the usual diesel fumes that we are fortunate to inhale when stuck behind a bus or a truck - but has a sweetish smell. This is my first diesel vehicle, so don't know whether this is typical.

I was thinking of adding a bullguard from Ironman or ARB, but they are very expensive. The Ironman costs 55K, and the ARB costs 95K or something – without fitting charges. But costs aside, there are other concerns:

1. I read that there could be issues with the suspension over the medium or long term, if I fit a 55kg+ bullguard permanently in front. Is this true? Why should 55kg make so much of a difference?
2.Would I need to/is it advisable to upgrade the suspension e.g. OME or Ironman if I fit the bullguard? And would a suspension upgrade make a noticeable difference in terms of ride quality and handling?
3.Would there be issues with Toyota warranty if I upgrade suspension?

I have been lusting over a couple of Lightforce Strikers, but not sure how to fit them properly and aesthetically without a bullguard. I saw another Fortuner with Lightforce Blitzes fitted on the bumper without any bullguard. The lights were sticking out, and didn’t look good. Don’t want to go for such an option, if I can help it. Any suggestions guys? Don’t like the original Toyota accessory front guard – bad looking + wobbly/flimsy.
nilanjanray is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2011, 23:37   #148
BHPian

Frankly speaking, ARB designs are too bulky looking for a daily drive vehicle. They are so Off-road specific in their design which IMO is overkill for the protection we look for primarily in our daily drives.

Custom Fabrication inspired the picture below is something i would suggest. This would work out even cheaper and lightforce placement can also be done as per your needs. You can ingress them more as compared to the sample pic even to protect them. Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-jaos-pics-009.jpg
Old 23rd January 2011, 12:54   #149
BANNED

Where did you enquire the price of ARB from?

Also, I would suggest that since you are in Bangalore, you can get a bullbar/bracket fabricated at Peenya of a design of your choice. There are a lot of good fabricators in that area. You could look up on the internet for design that suits you, make a mock up of the same using cardboard/thermocole and then show it to a fabricator.

In case you are not into DIY, then Delhi is the place where you get a lot of bullbar options in the market.
Old 23rd January 2011, 17:55   #150
Senior - BHPian

I found out about ARB from 4X4 | Home - I believe a number of our members know the proprietor, and buy stuff from there.

How much would a fabricated bull bar cost? Can i rely on the quality?

Any inputs on whether suspension strengthening/ upgrade is required after fitting a 55-60 kg bullguard?

Last edited by nilanjanray : 23rd January 2011 at 17:56.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks