Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2011, 19:12   #211
Senior - BHPian

Kanha & Bandhavgarh

Trip postponed by two weeks. Starting on June 4 morn from Bangalore, and returning on June 12. Schedule of visit remains the same - 3 days in Bandhavgarh, 3 days in Kanha.
Old 8th May 2011, 23:53   #212
Senior - BHPian

Leopard at 11:30 AM!

Had gone for a 1-day BR Hills trip. Saw a leopard from a distance of 10 feet around noon, on the main road to K-Gudi! It was so hot, I didn't expect any animals to move around..so my camera was in my bag at the back. My wife managed to click a couple of photos with a point and shoot, will post later. But I am still regretting that I didn't have my Nikon with its 70-300mm in my hand - would have been able to take some great pictures.

BR Hills (K Gudi) is a pretty relaxing drive of 3.5-4 hrs. Was lucky to get a place after walking in.

BR Hills has a surprising number of barking deers - seldom see them in Bandipur/Mudumalai. Apparently there are 35 tigers and 70 leopards within the sanctuary.
nilanjanray is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2011, 00:40   #213
Senior - BHPian

re: Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 80000 km update

A couple of leopard pics taken with my mobile phone, while fumbling with mobile controls, trying to roll up the middle row window beside my daughter (she was perched high up in a car seat on the leopard's side, and the leopard was showing its displeasure), and telling my wife to take out her P&S out of her handbag.

This was one glossy and fat cat, not too afraid of a car. Was hiding behind a bush, hoping that we wouldn't see it. When it got discovered, it starting walking down the main road nonchalantly.

Through the windscreen
Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-07052011371.jpg

Catwalk
Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-07052011372.jpg

Jungle trail
Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-dsc_5071.jpg

We were lucky to get a room on a Saturday - and that too a 7-bed dorm just for ourselves! As you can see, my daughter had a great time...
Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-dsc_4904.jpg

Stop looking so morose, dude!
Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-dsc_4943.jpg

Wild elephants having a bath in a forest lake
Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-dsc_4955.jpg

Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-dsc_4973.jpg

Barking deer
Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-dsc_5056.jpg

The female has a brighter coat
Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-dsc_5049.jpg

See the tiny snout in the middle...it belonged to a 10 day old calf who was desperately trying to keep up with the rest of his family
Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-dsc_4965.jpg

Bath finished. Following mom, on the way to a shallow pool full of mud for a mud-coating grooming session. Elephants do that (coat themselves with mud) to keep away insects and for insulation.
Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-dsc_5005.jpg

Ms. Ray out for a walk
Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-dsc_5081.jpg
nilanjanray is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2011, 01:19   #214
Senior - BHPian

BR Hills...contd.

This was my second trip to BR Hills. I plan to come down again, since it is close-by - will take just 3 hrs to reach if I start early morning.

The weather is pleasant throughout the year, but warmish in May (though I was shivering in the morning). KGudi's height is just 740m, but it is cooler than Bangalore due to the tree cover.

We had kept the windows closed in the evening due to kamikaze attacks by insects. It had got pretty warm in the room, and after jumping around like an energizer bunny, around 7:30 pm my daughter decided that she wanted to sit in the parked car. So off we went, with our drinks and kebabs till she fell asleep (we had switched on the ac while she was inside). While we were chilling out, we heard some shouting and saw a few people walking around with torches. Apparently a leopard had walked through the parking lot 5 min back.

In the night, I opened all the windows (large ones, without any grill). The room was on the first floor, so I wasn't too worried about nocturnal visits. Around 2 am, there were numerous alarm calls from spotted deers and Sambars. I went to the window with my torch, but I couldn't see anything apart from a few rabbits and boars. From the location of the alarm calls, I could make out that the cat is moving around the complex. Anyway, I eventually fell asleep keeping both ears open. I try to sleep on my back when in the jungle, because otherwise it becomes difficult to judge a sound/noise - type as well as direction - if one sleeps on one's side, with one ear pressed to the pillow.

The one drawback of KGudi - one can't drive around on the forest road after 6 pm.

Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-dsc_4933.jpg

Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-dsc_5040.jpg

Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-dsc_4934.jpg

Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-dsc_5011.jpg

Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-dsc_5059.jpg

Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-dsc_5065.jpg

Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-dsc_5068.jpg

Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-dsc_4942.jpg
nilanjanray is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2011, 01:55   #215
BHPian

re: Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 80000 km update

Beautifull pictures buddy,which camera and lens you have?
your t-bhp garage still not created,please try to cerate and add some pictures of your cars..

Last edited by valapad : 9th May 2011 at 01:59.
Old 9th May 2011, 07:03   #216
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Ms. Ray out for a walk
Excellent photogrpahs. Thanks for sharing. How old is your daughter?
Old 9th May 2011, 08:37   #217
Senior - BHPian

@ valapad: thanks, dude. I use a D90...these pictures were shot with my 70-300mm lens.

@ vb-san: she is 3 yrs 3 months...super active, and with a very independent mind :-)
Old 9th May 2011, 08:52   #218
Senior - BHPian

Catwalk

Fleeting glimpses of a big cat in the wild. Much more muscular than the ones we see in the zoos.

Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-img_7638.jpg

Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-img_7641.jpg

Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-img_7642.jpg

Last edited by nilanjanray : 9th May 2011 at 09:13.
nilanjanray is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2011, 09:46   #219
Senior - BHPian

Re: BR Hills...contd.

Quote:
This was my second trip to BR Hills.
Hi Nils,
Wow ! Great snaps. Never been to BR Hills all this while thanks to good ol' Veerappan.
That policy needs a relook - on my next drive to Bangalore.
Will take the ways and means line from you.

Once again - wonderful !
Old 9th May 2011, 10:35   #220
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@ Monaro: not yet. The only mods I have done are practical in nature :
1. V-kool all around
2. Lightforce Blitz + Unibar + harness.
Where did you fit your LightForce and Unibar? I was very surprised and happy to know such unibar things exists. I was not keen on fitting full Bullbar in Safari for auxiliary lamps. I wanted to fit two spots and two floods in my Safari.

Please let me know their Bangalore address of shop.
Old 9th May 2011, 11:12   #221
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
@ vb-san: she is 3 yrs 3 months...super active, and with a very independent mind :-)
Excellent... Quite like my 3 year old girl
And these kind of road trips will do a world of good!
Old 9th May 2011, 11:38   #222
Senior - BHPian

@ Guderian: if you have time to spare, I would recommend Masinagudi over BR Hills. You can drive around in the evening at Masinagudi...nothing like spotting wildlife on your own.

@ anujmishra: I bought them from Kumars at JC Road. Forgot the number, but you will get it if you search this forum. Don't feel that the Unibar is VFM - costs 4K+.

@ vb-san: yes, she enjoys going on road trips. She has been experiencing campfires, elephants etc. since she was 6 months old. Keeping her confined to the child seat can be challenging at times :-)
Old 9th May 2011, 11:47   #223
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
I wanted to fit two spots and two floods in my Safari.
If you are traveling within KA, no problem, but if you are traveling interstate, so many lights could attract unwanted attention from cops. I was chatting with HV Kumar, and his recommendation is to keep the number of extra lights to two.

OT: An ARB bullbar (if they magically became pedestrian/chassis safe) with 4 lights mounted...aah, that would look so hot in front of an SUV :-)
Old 9th May 2011, 13:00   #224
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you are traveling within KA, no problem, but if you are traveling interstate, so many lights could attract unwanted attention from cops. I was chatting with HV Kumar, and his recommendation is to keep the number of extra lights to two...
I fully agree with you. With four lights always cops would stop during interstate travels. I have plan to do interstate travels in near future.

I am contemplating on Hella Micro DE (Retrofit with HID kit 3000K bulb). These are very small lights and would work as flood. One set of spots, thinking of Hella 700FF or FF 200CHROMIUM from Hella.

Your LightForce look awesome on your "Soldier of Fortune". It certainly enhanced its looks more rugged SUV.
Old 9th May 2011, 14:20   #225
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
Your LightForce look awesome on your "Soldier of Fortune". It certainly enhanced its looks more rugged SUV.
Thanks Anuj. I actually like the look of the Strikers (170) better - more subtle - but the Blitzes give more bang/light for the buck.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks