Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2019, 08:36   #1231
BHPian

re: It's Me and My Honda City i-VTEC - It's Us Against the World! EDIT: Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aenkay91 View Post
H Everybody! I own a 2012 City (Type 3 facelift), with a little less than 61k on the ODO. I had been experiencing some sideways rocking along with a very pronounced thud over bad roads and decided to go for a suspension overhaul.

I'm running on 195/60 R15 Continental MC5 with 28psi all around.

This issue was not there initially and only developed over time. Any ideas what is causing this and how can I overcome these niggles? I'm really fond of this car and don't want to let go of this gem of a design-engine-transmission combination for this issue. Any help will be appreciated.
Hi,
Did you get your tyres checked ? I had a problem with JK Tyres on a swift earlier and turned out though the threads were good, the tyres had gone twisted slightly, causing the car to wobble at higher speeds.
Cheers!
rpads1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2019, 11:24   #1232
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpads1 View Post
Hi,
Did you get your tyres checked ? I had a problem with JK Tyres on a swift earlier and turned out though the threads were good, the tyres had gone twisted slightly, causing the car to wobble at higher speeds.
Cheers!
Thanks! The tyres are relatively new, about a year old now. Will try to check that though. Anything else that can be an issue other than the tyres? I have 2 suspects: 1. Can the springs go bad? 2. Can it be because of aerodynamics? As there is a dent on the left rear door( i know i might be thinking way too much here )
Old 15th December 2019, 07:47   #1233
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks! The tyres are relatively new, about a year old now. Will try to check that though. Anything else that can be an issue other than the tyres? I have 2 suspects: 1. Can the springs go bad? 2. Can it be because of aerodynamics? As there is a dent on the left rear door( i know i might be thinking way too much here )
Not sure if springs can go bad, my city is almost your age but no such symptoms. Try another service centre and check with them on what could be the problem, some good mechanics can tell you right away. Aerodynamics NO, unless your wheel alignment got off for some reason, when did you last align and rotate them ?
rpads1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2019, 08:42   #1234
BHPian

Quote:
"Rocking at high speeds" can also be because of imbalance in the tyre.
Where was your alignment and balancing done last?
Honda A.S.S is infamous to may it go haywire so do go to a larg-ish establishment
rayjaycleoful is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2019, 08:53   #1235
BHPian

Quote:
H Everybody! I own a 2012 City (Type 3 facelift), with a little less than 61k on the ODO. I had been experiencing some sideways rocking along with a very pronounced thud over bad roads and decided to go for a suspension overhaul. So, I underwent the following replacements recently:
1. Front suspension - Shocks, Mount, Tierods, Lower Arm (Except the lower arm, everything else are OEM. The Lower arm is an OES from Sona - I was recommended the same by a T-Bhp recommended FNG)
2. Rear shocks

I'm running on 195/60 R15 Continental MC5 with 28psi all around.

Although the thud and rattles over bad roads reduced and even the sideways rocking reduced, they are not completely gone and it bothers me a lot. I'm especially bothered by the sideways rocking which does not inspire confidence at high speeds on highways.

This issue was not there initially and only developed over time. Any ideas what is causing this and how can I overcome these niggles? I'm really fond of this car and don't want to let go of this gem of a design-engine-transmission combination for this issue. Any help will be appreciated.
I own a 2012 iVtec with 48k on odo. Even I think I recently felt the sideways movement in my car as well. I need to check on this more though. I feel it at speeds from 0kmph to 20kmph. I think once I pick up speed everything goes normal. It mostly feels as if the front left tire is punctured or low on air pressure. I will try to observe closely from now.
Old 16th December 2019, 13:17   #1236
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpads1 View Post
Not sure if springs can go bad, my city is almost your age but no such symptoms. Try another service centre and check with them on what could be the problem, some good mechanics can tell you right away. Aerodynamics NO, unless your wheel alignment got off for some reason, when did you last align and rotate them ?
The last rotation was done just last month during my 60K Servicing and when I enquired about allignment they said "It's fine" despite me insisting on getting it done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayjaycleoful View Post
"Rocking at high speeds" can also be because of imbalance in the tyre.
Where was your alignment and balancing done last?
Honda A.S.S is infamous to may it go haywire so do go to a larg-ish establishment
Yes indeed I just faced the same. all along I had been thinking they are taking care of the rotation and allignment whne all they do it leave the steering and check if the car is on a straight line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeprevving View Post
I own a 2012 iVtec with 48k on odo. Even I think I recently felt the sideways movement in my car as well. I need to check on this more though. I feel it at speeds from 0kmph to 20kmph. I think once I pick up speed everything goes normal. It mostly feels as if the front left tire is punctured or low on air pressure. I will try to observe closely from now.
Please do let me know if you find a solution for this. As of now most seem to point it at wheel/tyre balancing and allignment. I'll try it over the weekend and see if that helps.
Old 16th December 2019, 18:51   #1237
SRT
BHPian

Quote:
Please do let me know if you find a solution for this. As of now most seem to point it at wheel/tyre balancing and allignment. I'll try it over the weekend and see if that helps.
I had a similar issue on my 2010 model City (1.85 Lakhs KMs). Proper Wheel alignment sorted it out. Also please maintain equally worn out tires in front. Non uniform weared tyres in front also cause the same problem.
SRT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2019, 17:09   #1238
mxh
BHPian

Quote:
The last rotation was done just last month during my 60K Servicing and when I enquired about allignment they said "It's fine" despite me insisting on getting it done.
I face the same problems at my service center, whatever you actually request they say isn't required or is working fine even if it is as per Honda schedule. And they go on to recommend all useless things like interior cleaning etc. I have to argue with them for replacing scheduled items like brake and transmission fluid and fuel filter which according to these jokers doesn't need to be replaced. They don't really want to fix your car, just interested in making easy money.
Old 21st December 2019, 17:39   #1239
BHPian

Hi Guys, A friend has a 2009 Honda City iVtec which has clocked 115k kms. He is looking to get his car serviced at an FNG this time. Can someone advice me what all is included in the scheduled service for Honda City at 115k kms? (Owner's manual is lost) Is changing the oil and filters sufficient?

Thanks
Old 23rd December 2019, 18:49   #1240
Senior - BHPian

So our beloved Venus is all set to find a new home in 2020!

It was tough but the decision was made to let the City go to make way for something new.

I have put the listing on team-bhp classifieds. It is not an urgent sale but I am expecting to transfer Venus to a new home by end of January 2020.

http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-...nda/City.html/
bluevolt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2020, 14:56   #1241
Senior - BHPian

Car Sold

So after 9 years, 3 months and 1 day, we let go off our beloved car to make way for her successor!

The 3rd gen Honda City, bought on 28 Oct 2010 served as amazingly for 73251 KMs without a single mechanical issue in the car. It was a tough decision, we even thought of retaining it along with the new one but having 3 cars in the stable doesn't seem to be very practical.

The final thought was to let her go and someone else use it instead of just keeping it for the sake of it when it won't be utilized much. Each ride with Venus was memorable. I am glad I have tons of photos that I would be able to cherish and all the conversations in this thread that will keep the ownership experience refreshed.

I hope the new owner will take care of her. The city is a car that deserves special attention and care from her owner!

I loved this car and in future, I will look forward to having another one in the family someday again; Who knows, my Baleno could be replaced by a 6th gen City down the line!

Few parting shots of the car before it was handed over -

It's Me and My Honda City i-VTEC - It's Us Against the World! EDIT: Sold!-20200129_171913.jpg

It's Me and My Honda City i-VTEC - It's Us Against the World! EDIT: Sold!-20200129_171945.jpg

It's Me and My Honda City i-VTEC - It's Us Against the World! EDIT: Sold!-20200129_182932.jpg

Last edited by bluevolt : 30th January 2020 at 14:58.
bluevolt is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2020, 21:31   #1242
BHPian

Re: It's Me and My Honda City i-VTEC - It's Us Against the World! EDIT: Sold!

Hello all,

It was wonderful to see your ownership report, and all the inputs from fellow members are making it worthwhile to go through the loads on information on offer here.

Having said that, I need some help from your side, as I'm new to four-wheelers in general, and being short on time, I had to skip through the ownership reports, but once I have time on my hands after the purchase, I'll will go through every word.

I've paid a token for a pre-owned Honda City, 2012 (facelift) model, V-AT (AVN) which has been used only for 17xxx KMs - (Called up the previous owner lady, used the car only for office-home transit hence the low mileage; different car for highways).

The deal should be done around 4.30L in the coming week.

I drove her yesterday, and coming from a Palio (poorly maintained) I was in seventh heaven in all aspects.

Having said that, could anybody please guide me as to what all I would need to do once I get my hands on her?
(Read important service bits, important must have modifications)

P.S: I will be getting her checked through an authorised service centre technician and insurance stuff before fixing the deal, just waiting for the SVC to re-open.

The colour is somewhat wine red. Like it nonetheless, will be painting her white in an year or two.
ManasN95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2020, 11:59   #1243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManasN95 View Post
Hello all,

I've paid a token for a pre-owned Honda City, 2012 (facelift) model, V-AT (AVN) which has been used only for 17xxx KMs

The deal should be done around 4.30L in the coming week.

I drove her yesterday, and coming from a Palio (poorly maintained) I was in seventh heaven in all aspects.

Having said that, could anybody please guide me as to what all I would need to do once I get my hands on her?
(Read important service bits, important must have modifications)
The City is a a great car to drive with the peppy 1.5 i-vtec. But couple of thisgs you should take a note about this purchase:

1. The Automatic gearbox is a let down and really slow shifting, which takes away a lot of the fun apart from being a gas guzzler. Expect 8-10kmpl or even lower in a slow city traffic. I own the manual version of the same iteration and that gives me something between 11-14kmpl based on the driving style.

2. Do check on the tyre condition. The 175 section tyres are a shame for this car. Given the 8yrs age, even with the low mileage, they need replacement as the rubber must be hard and please do go for 195 sections which give the handling a all new life.

3. The steering rack is a known issue for this iteration id the city and an expensive one at that. Please pay extra attention to any noises from the rack as a replacement would cost ~60k.

4. The Stock suspension is a good compromnise between driving dynamics and ride quality. But the car is very prone to interior rattles. You should be mentally prepared to live with the same. Pothole thuds are pretty loud and will have you believe something is wrong, but it ain't.

5. The price INR 4.3L is on the higher side given it's an 8yr old car. There's room for bargaining, especially now. Do note the road tax, might be due in the next 2yrs( if paid lum sum 5yrs and not lifetime 15yrs).

All that said, it's a great car, perfect for comfortable city commute and occassional fun with the happy to revv engine. All the best!
aenkay91 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th July 2020, 13:08   #1244
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
So after 9 years, 3 months and 1 day, we let go off our beloved car to make way for her successor!

Few parting shots of the car before it was handed over -
Team, the car was handed over to Lohia Kia from where I bought Seltos on 30th January. They handed over me the delivery receipt, copies of signed form 29, form 30 (part 1&2). I also got the NCB transfer letter from my insurance provided which was adjusted in the insurance cost of Seltos.

So it's nearly six months but I still see the car under my name in Parivahan website/app.

What should I do this in the current scenario? Earlier I thought the delay might be due to the lockdown etc. Is there anything that I need to take care? I do have all relevant papers post handing over the car to the dealer.
Old 10th July 2020, 13:42   #1245
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
So it's nearly six months but I still see the car under my name in Parivahan website/app.

What should I do this in the current scenario? Earlier I thought the delay might be due to the lockdown etc. Is there anything that I need to take care? I do have all relevant papers post handing over the car to the dealer.
You can ask the dealer for the new RC copy, it should be available with them. I had got the new RC with new owner`s name when I traded in my old vehicle a few years back.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks